onboard liquor summary

m steve

I would really love to seee some of these non-rule breakers reaction if Celebrity put in a "rule" that you can't bring your own cigarettes on board, no Sun-screen, and forget shampoo and conditioner, you have to buy ours at a 300% markup.
Same as the Rosa Parks conparison; it is a different as night and day or apples to oranges; A couple of you keep bringing up :my privacy or all I want is a drink in the cabin, again, what is wrong with a bar set up? None of you have addressed that. Of course rules, policies and laws are all different, but I will still choose to abide by the rules or policies as they are set forth. I know when I get my docs if not before what I can and can not do. If I don't like it I can choose to cruise another line or take another type of vacation. So many refer to Celebrity as being such a class act and those who cruise the line like to think of themselves in the same way: is smuggling booze really classy? Sorry, when I was a college kid I would have done the same thing, now< I have grown up. NMNita

Nita, on another thread I did mention the bar set up. It is really RAPE. Jack Daniels in the cabin (my husband's only drink besides wine) is $80-! This includes salted nuts (he has to watch his sodium VERY carefully) and 6 sodas...he drinks Jack with water. We were going to balk but pay $60, but I think Celebrity has crossed the line on this one.

We really like ONE of the wines on the list I have been able to find...Sequoia Grove Cabernet at $48 ($29-36 in stores here in Calif). We'll be ordering that, but prefer variety.

We'll be bringing some of our own for our cabin and don't feel a bit guilty. If it is taken away we'll not let it spoil or trip, but can pretty much guarantee we won't be sailing Celebrity for awhile. When we planned this trip, the new "July" rules weren't in effect.

I think we have covered it all. The two most cogent comments were that the ship is a floating hotel and hotels don't go thru you bags or room looking for liquor. And you don't make drinks in your room to carry it to the hotels bar or restaurant. And that X charges too much for a room setup. Thanks to all the commentors.

I think we have covered it all. The two most cogent comments were that the ship is a floating hotel and hotels don't go thru you bags or room looking for liquor. And you don't make drinks in your room to carry it to the hotels bar or restaurant. And that X charges too much for a room setup. Thanks to all the commentors.

I think another comment to add to your summary (1. It's a hotel 2. Drinking ONLY in the cabin 3. Outrageous room setup) is: 4. Future bookings NOT on Celebrity.

they don't sell bottles anymore:where Are you getting your information? The policy stopped about 2 or 3 months ago: They do sell drinks at a reasonable price; one more little thing: please, if you are going to address my threads which I really do not mind, learn my name....NMNIta

Princess does sell bottles, they're just smaller, it's $17 for a 375ml plus 3 soda.

Before you go off the deep end about chaos onboard (or prostitution, murder, mutiny, drug dealing, etc) keep in mind that this sacred policy that you want all of us to blindly obey comes from a company that feels no obligation to sail to the ports promised on the dates promised, and won't even guarantee the seaworthiness of its ships. A company that settled with George Smith's widow - when most law enforcement folks thought she was involved - thus blocking Mr. Smith's parents from ever being able to depose her for their lawsuit so they would know what happened to their son. A company that says "suffer the consequences of our bad pods while we attempt to get our money back from the manufacturer" while simultaneously spending almost $900 million on a group of worn out Spanish cruise ships and hundreds of millions more to build new ships. A company that continues to implement cost-reduction measures that will ultimately diminish the cruising experience. A company whose customer service people think the Infinity was in Alaska last week instead of in drydock where it actually was. "Shame on us?" No, Shame on X and those who expect nothing in return for their cruisefare and willingly cede rights to X that are not X's to take.

How does any of this relate to X's alcohol policy??

I am so happy to see people waking up to all the policy changes that supposedly are in our best interest when they are really just revenue makers for the cruiseline.

If the company truly believes this policy is to prevent underage drinkers, then why not just make sure noone under 21 brings booze on board?

Anyone want to start a thread on why aren't travel irons allowed? (LOL)

Princess does sell bottles, they're just smaller, it's $17 for a 375ml plus 3 soda.
yes, you are right about that: I think though it went up a few weeks ago to $20 (not important) my point is, for all practical purposes they do not. The only have a couple of choices and do you have any idea how small .375 actually is? Again, you are right about them selling those little guys. NMnita

Nita, on another thread I did mention the bar set up. It is really RAPE. Jack Daniels in the cabin (my husband's only drink besides wine) is $80-! This includes salted nuts (he has to watch his sodium VERY carefully) and 6 sodas...he drinks Jack with water. We were going to balk but pay $60, but I think Celebrity has crossed the line on this one.

We really like ONE of the wines on the list I have been able to find...Sequoia Grove Cabernet at $48 ($29-36 in stores here in Calif). We'll be ordering that, but prefer variety.

We'll be bringing some of our own for our cabin and don't feel a bit guilty. If it is taken away we'll not let it spoil or trip, but can pretty much guarantee we won't be sailing Celebrity for awhile. When we planned this trip, the new "July" rules weren't in effect.

you did, most did not; I happen to think the selection of brands is just fine; I agree the new prices are way out there. as for the wines, we too think the prices are high, as for $29 versus $48, as much as that blows some of our minds, it isn't any more of a mark up than in most restaurants. NMnita

I am so happy to see people waking up to all the policy changes that supposedly are in our best interest when they are really just revenue makers for the cruiseline.

If the company truly believes this policy is to prevent underage drinkers, then why not just make sure noone under 21 brings booze on board?

Anyone want to start a thread on why aren't travel irons allowed? (LOL)

How about keeping those that are under 21 off the ship? LOL!!! Okay, just kidding! :D

And why is it that we can't bring travel irons on board? I unplug mine at home - I would do the same on the ship!

IT SEEMS TO ME...that RCI et al are simply gearing the cruise experience for NEWBIES who are totally unaware of what is happening. Most NEWBIES try to relate their cruise experience to a land based vacation...where you pay thru the nose for drinks. food, entertainment etc. It irks the *&%# out of me when I hear someone say..."The price of a drink onboard is the same as it is at xyz hotel or bar or restaurant etc." The point is...that the bar facilities onboard should be part of the seagoing amenities onboard...and NOT THE CASH COW!!! With the low cost of tax free booze onboard you have a 1 litre bottle of spirits yielding 25 pours and at $5 per drink that makes $125 per bottle...with no labor charges as the 15% is added to the bill. Some of the pool deck bartenders are making over 800 mixed drinks per day...I say...enough is enough!!! The lines really need to cool it with these outrageous charges. I wish that we could pass a petition around on each cruise to be handed in to the corporate headquarters...this is simply outrageous.

It is a shame to see how a bunch of MBA's and airline execs have ruined the cruise experience and turned it into a "CORPORATE FEEDING FRENZY". As far as I am concerned...they can take their booze rules and stick them where they really belong!!!

I paid $20 US on Princess for a ltr. of Stoli vodka(explaining it for thos ewho don't drink and only follow rules). I know that is correct because I did it 3 times between Sydney and Auckland. And that's the truth, Edith Ann!

that was not in the past 3 months. What was was and what is, is. They did have great prices until they stopped the policy of bar set ups. NMnita

yes, you are right about that: I think though it went up a few weeks ago to $20 (not important) my point is, for all practical purposes they do not. The only have a couple of choices and do you have any idea how small .375 actually is? Again, you are right about them selling those little guys. NMnita

Their website still says $17 but we board tomorrow so I'll know for sure then. And of course I know how big 375 ml is, I'm Canadian. We sell that here as a "Mickey", very common size. In our liquor stores that would probably sell for around $11. So adding in three soda it really isn't that bad of a deal.

Their website still says $17 but we board tomorrow so I'll know for sure then. And of course I know how big 375 ml is, I'm Canadian. We sell that here as a "Mickey", very common size. In our liquor stores that would probably sell for around $11. So adding in three soda it really isn't that bad of a deal.

you are probably right: if it says $17 that must be what it is and no, it isn't a bad deal. NMnita

$16 for a 375 of anything is really expensive but I guess it's better than $60 for the bar set up or $5 for a 50ml mini. As to Princess pricing I paid the $20 in Feb of this year. I guess they are out to soak us like the other cruise lines. At this rate appying all the extras it might be more economical to cruise w/ Silversea, etc. and get upper class service, accomidations and top notch food.

$16 for a 375 of anything is really expensive but I guess it's better than $60 for the bar set up or $5 for a 50ml mini. As to Princess pricing I paid the $20 in Feb of this year. I guess they are out to soak us like the other cruise lines. At this rate appying all the extras it might be more economical to cruise w/ Silversea, etc. and get upper class service, accomidations and top notch food.

Steve, believe me, it wouldn't be cheaper to sail with Silversea: yes, you would get better service and certainly better food but the cost (even when specials are run) 2 to 5 times higher than what we are paying for mass marketed lines. I understand what you are saying and if a truely upscale experience is what you want, I don't blame you. I wish I could do it just once, if the price thing is the issue, forget it. NMnita

I was thinking the same thing: not that I like the port changes, but it has nothing to do with booze policies. NMnita

My point is that Royal Carribean/Celebrity does not act responsibly towards it passengers so it policies should not be "honored" unless they relate to safety or the enjoyment of other passengers. Clearly, the alcohol policies do neither.

Archived