onboard liquor summary

m steve

From reading lots of comments it appears that X decided to rattle our cages in hope of scaring passengers to refrain from bringing wine and liquor on board. So far no one had any removed from their bags when boarding or taken from the cabin. As always bringing a bottle or a six pack from port is a hit or miss depending on whether a supervisor is at boarding security or just a crew member scanning for weapons. I am happy to have them store my boxes so they don't clog up the room.

I am glad that there was no change from previous cruises. Let's hope that they don't get crazy and find that they are losing past travelers due to rule enforcement.

They have already probably lost a non-drinker. We are ready for our first Celeb. cruise in 12 days--over the top excited and expect a great experience. DH does not drink--just never liked it, but when he read our docs he was furious with the TONE of the alcohol policy, not to mention the thought of someone sniffing his mouthwash and the threat of throwing you off the ship. We always sail HAL--and his statement was to the effect that if Celeb wanted to sat that its a premimum line they shouldn't treat their customers like kids at a frat party.

We have a Feb cruise booked on the Galaxy and he wants to see if we can cancel and book something with another line--any other line.

Again for him its not the wine (I'm the one whining about that), its the lack of class.

My instinct is that we'll keep the Galaxy, because we like the itinery and we'll have a great time, but will probably look elsewhere in the future.

So yes--the policy has cost Celeb at least one set of customers, and probably encouraged other long-time loyal people to try other lines, its a big ocean out there, with lots of ships!!!

When I look Celebrity's web site, they have a FAQ section, which brings you to their "Alcohol Waiver and Acceptance of Responsibility - International":

What is Celebrity's Alcohol Policy?

Subject: Food and Beverage

Effective as of all sailings commencing on or after July 28, 2006, the minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on all Celebrity Cruises is 21.

For complete explanation of our Alcohol policy, please click on the link below.

· Alcohol Policy http://media.celebritycruises.com/celebrity/content/pdf/faq/Alcohol%20Waiver%20_Celebrity.pdf

This policy is an alcohol waiver for parents to authorize Celebrity to serve alcoholic beverages to their minors, not an alcohol policy for adults. Therefore, Adults can still bring wine and champagne on board (not alcohol such as vodka, rum, whiskey, etc), just as anyone was allowed to do so in all past Celebrity Cruises.

I agree that since Celebrity is known as a premium cruise company they do need to clean up their act as far as how they treat passengers, minors or adults. Sniffing bottles of mouthwash? Hmmmm. However, I understand that minors might want to bring liquor on board – shame on them – and so Celebrity is trying to uphold their alcohol waiver.

I didn't think that they were doing anything more than they did in the past. The policy change announced was all bulls---. Looks like it's back to normal and we should ignore their error and enjoy the cruise.

I do not understand how you can state that with such authority. :confused: These boards reflect a small percentage of those cruising Celebrity and the experiences posted here are not definitive of the entire passenger base.

The policy change is not being consistently enforced, which is not a surprise considering not much else is either. But I do not agree that you can state unilaterrally that this policy is BS and should be ignored.

Smuggling is an individual decision but Celebrity is the one who makes the decision whether to enforce their policies or ignore them.

I agree that since Celebrity is known as a premium cruise company they do need to clean up their act as far as how they treat passengers, minors or adults. Sniffing bottles of mouthwash? Hmmmm. However, I understand that minors might want to bring liquor on board – shame on them – and so Celebrity is trying to uphold their alcohol waiver.

If someone resorts to sneaking in booze in mouthwash bottles, shame on them! IMO, that is childish.

I have personally seen this new policy enforced on RCI and therefore will assume that X will either do the same, or alter their policy to permit wine and champagne to be brought aboard.

If someone resorts to sneaking in booze in mouthwash bottles, shame on them! IMO, that is childish.

I have personally seen this new policy enforced on RCI and therefore will assume that X will either do the same, or alter their policy to permit wine and champagne to be brought aboard.

It will take awhile like it did with NCL but eventually they will enforce the rule full heartedly. NCL did alter the policy on Wine and Champagne and other lines are talking about cracking down. Princess doesn't even have a bar set up policy anymore. You can order a small bottle .375 liter which, of course is nothing, but that's it. I agree smuggling booze on in mouth wash bottles, etc is really carrying things to far. If you want to put it in your luggage and take a chance, that is your decision, but the rest reminds me of something we would do in high school.

NGRB, I am not sure Celebrity can really be considered a premium line anymore and if this is so: they don't need to think about how they treat their passengers, the passengers need to think about living up to what is expected of them: smuggling booze is not very classy in my opinion. NMnita

NGRB, I am not sure Celebrity can really be considered a premium line anymore and if this is so: they don't need to think about how they treat their passengers, the passengers need to think about living up to what is expected of them: smuggling booze is not very classy in my opinion. NMnita

Celebrity can still act in professional manner. I COMPLETELY agree that people shouldn't smuggle booze (and I'm talking hard liquor - NOT wine) on board - shame on them. However, Celebrity is slipping with their "premium" looks and that's too bad. Back to my original comment, there is no need to be concerned about smuggling wine and champagne on board since that alcohol policy is a waiver for minors. You should just be able to bring it on board.

Celebrity can still act in professional manner. I COMPLETELY agree that people shouldn't smuggle booze (and I'm talking hard liquor - NOT wine) on board - shame on them. However, Celebrity is slipping with their "premium" looks and that's too bad. Back to my original comment, there is no need to be concerned about smuggling wine and champagne on board since that alcohol policy is a waiver for minors. You should just be able to bring it on board.

The new alcohol policy is about more than minors and expressly states that no alcohol is permitted to be brought aboard.

So, yes, there is a need to be "concerned" about smuggling wine aboard if you are abiding by the cruise line's policies. If you don't care, then that is another story entirely. I don't agree with their new wine policy at all and have written letters and emails to X, which have been ignored (not a surprise).

Those that choose to smuggle should be aware of the consequences should X decide to enforce's it's policies as they have the right to do.

NEWS FLASH FOR MGRB...et al.

Tell me of one hotel that you know of that confiscates liquor at check in???

There are those of us who prefer to have a drink in our cabin at our convenience and not at the ship's convenience. Those of us who happen to enjoy a cocktail in our cabin (AND ONLY IN OUR CABIN) will continue to bring aboard whatever we chose to consume in our cabin. There are those of us who always pack alcohol ,in the original containers, into our luggage...since all baggage is scanned...I hardly think that you can call it smuggling.

Every passenger has a right to privacy in their own cabin. What we do in our cabin is our business...AND NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. (As long as we are not bothering anyone else.) I will be happy to respect your privacy while you are in your cabin and I would be most appreciative if you respected my privacy while I am in my cabin. I will continue to purchase drinks outside my cabin just as I will continue to imbibe from my own reserve in my cabin and I can assure you that I will NEVER be ashamed of the way I conduct myself in my cabin...it is simply a private matter.:D

There are those of us who prefer to have a drink in our cabin at our convenience and not at the ship's convenience. Those of us who happen to enjoy a cocktail in our cabin (AND ONLY IN OUR CABIN) will continue to bring aboard whatever we chose to consume in our cabin. There are those of us who always pack alcohol ,in the original containers, into our luggage...since all baggage is scanned...I hardly think that you can call it smuggling.

Every passenger has a right to privacy in their own cabin. What we do in our cabin is our business...AND NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS. (As long as we are not bothering anyone else.) I will be happy to respect your privacy while you are in your cabin and I would be most appreciative if you respected my privacy while I am in my cabin. I will continue to purchase drinks outside my cabin just as I will continue to imbibe from my own reserve in my cabin and I can assure you that I will NEVER be ashamed of the way I conduct myself in my cabin...it is simply a private matter.:D

Very well said. It simply comes down to personal decision.

OH GREAT KAHUNA!!!

I can't agree with you more!!! I spend enough on booze outside the cabin. I'll be darned if I am going to make a special trip upstairs to bring a drink down while I am getting ready for dinner!!:rolleyes:

PUNA PUNA!!

Jeff

Does that include smoking pot, shooting up with heroin, doing a few lines of coke or crystal methe?

X also has a policy against illegal drugs, but that does that mean we should disregard it also? same line of thinking isn't it. I'll do what I want because I paid for it and if I get caught its not my fault because no-one stopped me............

You enter into a contract with X when you purchase their cruise, just like Disney where it says you have to be "this tall to ride" they are allowed to set policy regardless of the consumers demands. If you don't like the heat of the kitchen, don't let the door slam you in the butt on the way out...Its that simple.

Dave:eek:

The new alcohol policy is about more than minors and expressly states that no alcohol is permitted to be brought aboard.

So, yes, there is a need to be "concerned" about smuggling wine aboard if you are abiding by the cruise line's policies. If you don't care, then that is another story entirely. I don't agree with their new wine policy at all and have written letters and emails to X, which have been ignored (not a surprise).

Those that choose to smuggle should be aware of the consequences should X decide to enforce's it's policies as they have the right to do.

you are right, it really has little if anything to do with the under age bringing or using liquor on board. I am sure we all remember last year, when the policy was changed so if became impossible to buy from the duty free shop on board and take the alcohol to your cabin: I think I expected then, the company would soon put into effect the no booze brought on board. Again, for those who want to smuggle, that is your choice to make, but for me, I will forget it. NMnita

you are right, it really has little if anything to do with the under age bringing or using liquor on board. I am sure we all remember last year, when the policy was changed so if became impossible to buy from the duty free shop on board and take the alcohol to your cabin: I think I expected then, the company would soon put into effect the no booze brought on board. Again, for those who want to smuggle, that is your choice to make, but for me, I will forget it. NMnita

But you don't have the right to break the rules. There is such a thing as a bar set up: order that if you want to drink in your cabin. What is it that so many don't understand about laws, rules, policies, etc. Why do you think they do not apply to you? this isn't saying any of us who do like to enjoy a drink in our cabin or elsewhere like the new policies, nor do we like the price of drinks on the ships, but some of us were raised to respect rules set down for us. NMNita

Does that include smoking pot, shooting up with heroin, doing a few lines of coke or crystal methe?

X also has a policy against illegal drugs, but that does that mean we should disregard it also? same line of thinking isn't it. I'll do what I want because I paid for it and if I get caught its not my fault because no-one stopped me............

You enter into a contract with X when you purchase their cruise, just like Disney where it says you have to be "this tall to ride" they are allowed to set policy regardless of the consumers demands. If you don't like the heat of the kitchen, don't let the door slam you in the butt on the way out...Its that simple.

Illegal drugs are just that...ILLLEGAL...Alcohol, unless thigs have changed within the last few hours isn't.

That's the point

Its amazing to see how many people think that X has the right to restrict its passengers from enjoying the same privileges at sea as they do on land (no, I"m not advocating for chaos, prostitution or drug use onboard - so save the extreme comments). The only reason for the ban on alcohol (and I believe that wine qualifies) is so you have to buy X's overpriced liquor packages. There's nothing about the ban that prevents people from drinking too much - they can sit in their cabin and clean out their minibar and stagger up to any of the many bars on the ship. They can even order booze from room service. And minors - without a whole lot of effort - could also clean out the minibar and order from room service as long as they get an adult to answer the door. So, its simply a revenue generating move. I can't believe that some of you would agree that passengers who don't wish to be fleeced by X should be thrown off the cruise if they violate the policy? Why? Was the policy brought down from Mt. Sinai along with the ten commandments? Are you so loyal to X that you are willing to give up rights that have no impact on safety or security? Remember, this is X's policy - the same company that feels no obligation to follow its itineraries or even guarantee that their ships are seaworthy. The same company that refuses to fix the pods (they have money to buy a bunch of worn out Spanish cruise ships for $900 million and order new ships but not enough to fix the pods, replace bedding, or maintain the quality of the food?). Did it ever occur to you that there is no simillar business arrangement in any other areas of our lives? If your tv cable is out for two weeks - do you still have to pay? If you buy a new car and then it turns out to be unsafe or unreliable don't you expect the dealership to fix the problem? And if they don't fix it, don't you expect the government to step in and order a recall? When you order food in a restaurant and they never bring you one of the items, do you pay for it anyway? These are not benevolent companies that "allow" us to sail on their ships - they're charging money and we're the ones paying it - doesn't that give us some rights? When we travel we agree to submit to having our luggage and carry-ons searched in the interest of security - not to make sure the cruiseline can generate more revenue. Even the airlines don't care if you have alcohol in your checked luggage. In the US we have something called the fourth amendment - freedom from unreasonable search. Searching our luggage to enhance the lines revenue is hardly reasonable, and using the results of a legitimate search for security reasons to enhance revenue is simply X taking advantage of the situation. Shame on us? No, the shame should be on X and those who smuggly defend their policies without expecting anything from X in return. Your not "sophisticated cruisers" - you're sheep.

DEAR BUBU...SSSSSSSSSSSTTTTTTRRRRRRREEEETTTCCCCCHHHHHHHHH!!! Illegal is one thing...legal is quite another.

DEAR MEX...rules for safety are one thing...rules to increase profits are quite another. What I do in my cabin is my business and I am entitled to my privacy in my cabin...just as you would have it in a hotel.

Once upon a time...the shipping lines offered drinks at a very reasonable rate...because they pay no duties or tariffs...their alcohol is duty free. The drinks were part of the "ONBOARD AMENITIES". Now that amenity has been taken away...LIKE SO MANY OTHERS. So many "NEWBIES" who have only cruised in the past 10 years or so...do not realize that this whole booze thing IS NOT ABOUT RULES...IT IS ABOUT PROFITS. There are those of us who will continue to imbibe from our own supply while we are in our cabins.

Since this is a Celebrity thread...let me ask you...if you reserve the PENTHOUSE SUITE aboard a CENTURY CLASS or MILENNIUM CLASS ship...you will have a full kitchen with a wine cooler that holds 3 cases. Now just where do you think that the wine comes from to fill that cooler??? Most SUITE pax just bring it aboard with them. Now...if I were throwing a party...in my suite...would you refuse to come because the booze was not bought onboard??? LOL!!! You can see that the question of bringing booze onboard isn't exactly black and white. It is a personal matter and should always be treated as such. Let Celebrity/RCI enforce the rules...you on the other hand...should just sit back and enjoy the cruise. As long as no one is creating a riot, committing a crime or disturbing the peace...then what goes on in a cabin is a private matter.:D

HI JEFF!!! HI BB!!!

I have to respectfully disagree with you. Breaking a law is grossly different then breaking a "rule". I will continue to follow the law (except for speed limits from time to time)... When it comes to my vacation I will do what I need to to ensure I have the best time possible without effecting another cruisers vacation. I am sure you can understand and respect that adults make decisions that they feel are best for them and that can vary from person to person. Why should it bother another passenger if another is enjoying a drink on their balcony in addition why should it matter where that drink came from?

some of us were raised to respect rules set down for us. NMNita

Well, some of us were raised not to roll over like sheep when a company chooses to ignore our rights to enjoy our vacation on our own terms without being forced to buy overpriced liquor from X. And some of us actually question authority when its wrong and especially when it compromises our freedoms for their own benefit. Before you go off the deep end about chaos onboard (or prostitution, murder, mutiny, drug dealing, etc) keep in mind that this sacred policy that you want all of us to blindly obey comes from a company that feels no obligation to sail to the ports promised on the dates promised, and won't even guarantee the seaworthiness of its ships. A company that settled with George Smith's widow - when most law enforcement folks thought she was involved - thus blocking Mr. Smith's parents from ever being able to depose her for their lawsuit so they would know what happened to their son. A company that says "suffer the consequences of our bad pods while we attempt to get our money back from the manufacturer" while simultaneously spending almost $900 million on a group of worn out Spanish cruise ships and hundreds of millions more to build new ships. A company that continues to implement cost-reduction measures that will ultimately diminish the cruising experience. A company whose customer service people think the Infinity was in Alaska last week instead of in drydock where it actually was. "Shame on us?" No, Shame on X and those who expect nothing in return for their cruisefare and willingly cede rights to X that are not X's to take. As one poster pointed out - ever have your liquor taken away at a hotel?

I know many of you are stockholders so you're unable to figure out if you're an investor or a customer first, but the rest of us expect something in return for our cruisefare. If you look at the policy honestly you would be hard-pressed to explain how it makes the cruise experience safer for anyone. Minors can empty the minibar and order from room service as long as an adult answers the door. Additional bar packages can be purchased on board from the Cova Cafe - at twice the land price. Adults can do both of the above and also go to any one of the many bars on board and drink until they can't stand up. So, the policy doesn't eliminate minor drinking nor does it limit drinking in any way. Its just a revenue enhancement tool. As far as throwing people off the ship if they "smuggle" liquor onboard, X is basically using a security search that we all agree to submit to so our travel will be safer to enforce their revenue enhancement policies. Nothing honorable or worthy of our respect or compliance about that. When X wants me to report to the lifeboat muster stations at a particular time, I go because I know that my safety and the safety of my fellow passengers is at stake. When I agree to go to the late dinner seating I don't try to go to the early seating as that would impact other passengers as well. But telling me I can't drink what I want in my own cabin or bring a legal bottle of liquor on board is simply an unjustified intrusion on my freedom and privacy that has no impact on safety or the enjoyment of other passengers. So, yes, many of us "ill-bred" passengers (and of course, everyone who smuggles is an alcoholic and a possible mutiny risk" will continue to balk at being treated like children.

Archived