Celebrity changing port

thegoodwitch

Give me Vancouver over Seattle any day. You're lucky the cruise is now leaving from there. Sorry to our Seattle posters here, but that port is one of the worst I've seen, with San Francisco being the worst. Vancouver's terminal is far superior.

I too love Vancouver

I am aware the problem is Homeland Security

but that does not give them the right to treat bona fide tourists checking in for a cruise who have already been fingerprinted and screened by Homeland Security in the previous 12 hours in the disgusting way we and other overseas people were treated at Canada Place by Homeland Security

I am not to blame for terrorism

and I have no control over the actions of our Prime Minister ..........i certainly do not think we have any business whatever being hooked up with Bush or involved in Iraq or Afghanistan or anywhere else and i am sick and tired of the way i and other bona fide tourists are treated by Homeland Security in the name of prevention of terrorism all because they refuse to profile

Ok but it just not that simple. When you change the arrival city, you are not just paying a change fee BUT also the difference in airfare between your original city and your new arrival city.<BR><BR>

As of today, for travel 9JUN returning 17JUN07 prices out cheapest on Frontier/Alaskan/American $335 a person (NONSTOP)<BR><BR>

Changing the arrival to YVR comes up with the cheapest ticket as of today on American (which includes one stop LAX) for $452. The cheapest NONSTOP is $724 on United. Frontier does not provide service to YVR.<BR><BR>

To suggest that it is just easy to change airfare is not true. As shown the cost difference more than exceeds the $100 PER STATEROOM OBC and $100 PER PERSON for change fees. Talk about a disgraceful offer of compensation for someone who does not book (at a higher fare) through Celebrity.<BR><BR>

Yet another reason why Celebrity's perceived value continues to fall. More examples of customer "no" service.

I'm not surprised there's nothing on sale 10 months out.

Ok but it just not that simple. When you change the arrival city, you are not just paying a change fee BUT also the difference in airfare between your original city and your new arrival city.<BR><BR>

As of today, for travel 9JUN returning 17JUN07 prices out cheapest on Frontier/Alaskan/American $335 a person (NONSTOP)<BR><BR>

Changing the arrival to YVR comes up with the cheapest ticket as of today on American (which includes one stop LAX) for $452. The cheapest NONSTOP is $724 on United. Frontier does not provide service to YVR.<BR><BR>

To suggest that it is just easy to change airfare is not true. As shown the cost difference more than exceeds the $100 PER STATEROOM OBC and $100 PER PERSON for change fees. Talk about a disgraceful offer of compensation for someone who does not book (at a higher fare) through Celebrity.<BR><BR>

Yet another reason why Celebrity's perceived value continues to fall. More examples of customer "no" service.

We have already discussed the $100.00 change fee not being enough to cover the difference in airfare. Most people have not booked their air yet.

This is an unusual case.

However, I believe the OP is flying into Seattle the day before the cruise. So transport to YVR is pretty easy and very scenic. I think the OP REALLY lucked out. Cheap airfare, hotel already paid for AND the $100.00 change fee x 4 will MORE than cover transport to and from YVR.

YVR is pretty expensive to fly in and out of, I will agree. So if you can find a cheapie fare to Seattle, rent a car, take the shuttle or take the train. For the difference in fares, you can usually do that AND pay for a hotel in Seattle. Absolutely beautiful drive to YVR. The value in the cruise leaving from Vancouver is much greater than leaving Seattle. More scenery and the "good stuff" on the inside passage will now be in the daytime, instead of at night. X definitely made the correct decision and announced it early enough not to impact too many people.

I am one of those "types" that buy my airfare and hotel as soon as I find what I feel is a good deal, no matter how far out it is. I like to get everything paid for early in the process, and get all the loose strings tied up. So I can sympathize.

I think the Celebrity deal is fair and reasonable. And it's great getting this much notice. The bigger problem would have been if you planned your original flight to arrive on sailing day, rather than a day a head.

Since you have the extra day, by all means, take the train or bus. Relax. Vancouver really is a great city.

Take a look at this page to find out why liquids are not allowed on planes. Even states in the literature that product can be carried on a COMMERCIAL PASSENGER AIRCRAFT (I'm sure this was written before the liquids ban). This stuff is readily available and can be purchased over the internet.

http://www.fixor.com/Advantages.html

I didn't mean to imply that I didn't agree with the reason behind the ban, I just think it is so sad that there are so many out there that want to kill innocent people by using such methods. And unfortuantely we all suffer due to the deeds of the few.

Phillip - What is truly disgusting is that there is a community of people who have made it their mission to kill and terrorize anyone who is an "infidel". There are terrorists all over the world and their ports of entry to the US are mainly Canada. It took me several hours to get through security and customs both going to and coming home from Vancouver. I was hot and tired and thirsty but I knew it was simply a part of international travel now. It is the sad price we pay but until the world wakes up and realizes that we don't have to kill everyone who has a different religion and way of life, even upstanding citizens will be inconvenienced when they travel.

Back to our main topic - hope you have made alternate arrangements that are good for you.

Flagger, thanks for the descriptive post. The compensation of $100 per stateroom will not even cover transportation to Vancouver. The suggestion that there would be a 4x benefit in the change fees would not be applicable if you incur change penalties when changing flights and this would only be up to $100 pp for the actual costs incurred. If a round trip travel to Seattle, the original city, is required, then you can double the transportation cost. Another thing to think about is the joy of crossing the border going to and from Canada and the almost full day lost going each way. Celebrity making this change so late, does show a definite lack of long term planning and disregard for passengers. Last week I did notice that the 2007 Alaska cruise brochures were not out yet for Celebrity, although premium cruise lines had there schedules firmed up long ago and their brochures are out.

Archived