Budapest

Jancruz

I looked at wwww.safetravels.com and there was not a serious warning on Budapest. The demonstrations will probably continue until the election on Oct 1. They are political demonstrations that are for the most part pretty peaceful. They have a couple of times gotten out of hand. I would think if you don't decide to relive the 60's and get in the demonstration you should be fine.LOL! The demonstrations are taking place around Parliament and Freedom Square so I would stay away from thoses areas.I'm sure the tour guides will make sure that you are only in areas that are safe. Budapest is a big city. If you are going in a day early just inquire at the hotel where you should stay away from. The feeling seems to be that the demonstrations will end after the election on Oct 1.

Our country is disliked around the world so I try not to advertize my nationality.Just like religion should not be discussed,neither should politics and foreign policy.I am not very proud to be an American these days. Sad,isn't it.JMHO

Hi Jan,

I don´t think that the cruise ships are affected in any way. As Letsgo wrote the demonstrations are limited to the named areas. I´d avoid these areas and maybe won´t go out on my own at night. It´s an internal political problem. The president held an internal speech in front of members of his party saying his party has betrayed and lied to the people of Hungary to make profits for the party. This speech was recorded by someone and made it´s way to the public. By the way the president also said that this has to come to an end.

steamboats

Thanks..I am happy to know they arent all over..steamboat, we will be going on the Danube October 15 from Budapest to Vienna..will you let us know if it starts to rain enough to change our trip..I appreciate it there are 12 of us going and I would like to keep them informed..I find if I call Viking they do not have any answers..

Jan

Jancruz1 - we will also be in Budapest with Viking on Oct. 15th but our cruise goes to Amsterdam.

I have been following the river levels especially at the Solvakian-Hungarian boarder at this site http://www.povodia.sk/dunaj/de/ because they had been very low earlier in the year. Just watching the pattern one can see how none of the river cruise companies can tell you what might happen even 2 days from now.

Weather is best followed at: http://www.wunderground.com/global/stations/11816.html, http:// http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=europe or weather.com.

I had to call Viking about our final docs and asked about the riots in Budapest. How typical their answer was "they will be over before you get there". I couldn't help laughing at that one.

Hi Jan,

We'll be in Budapest on Wednesday for 4 days. We have been in many Countries during various demonstrations and in June got caught up in a small riot after England lost there World Cup game. I agree just stay away from Freedom Square and the area around the Parliment and you will be just fine. Budapest is a beautiful city and there is so much to see.

I for one am proud to be an American and travel to Europe for at least 2 months a year and have never had one person treat me badly. In fact last year in Budapest we were told how much we were admired and loved. Some people may not agree with the government but most do not act out on a tourist. Now if your in Syria, probably the different story.

Letsgo39,I think what is sad is that some Americans have short memories. History is a good reminder of what being passive can cost humanity. (Not an opinion, Fact!)

I'll post next week and let you know how things are in Budapest.

Liz

Hi Jan,

We've been in Budapest for 2 days and haven't seen one protest. Today we walked to the train station and saw the Parilment Building fromj the other side of the River and saw no action around it. If things change I'll let you know. Budapest is a beautiful as ever and the weather is gorgeous, mid 70's. Today we took the train to Szentendre, a 35 minute ride and enjoyed just walking around and had some lunch and then back to Budapest. 2 more days to do before we get on the Poetry and head towards Bucharest. :D

Liz

Hi All,

We just returned from Budapest and a cruise from Nuremburg to Budapest on the Amadeus Symphony. We were listening to CNN Europe prior to arrival and were somewhat concerned about our safety. We were surprised and relieved to find that the regular tour we were scheduled to go on including a stop in Heroes' Square, was still going on 9/23/06. We arrived at the beautiful site and witnessed a small demonstration of about 100 protesters with a little flag waving. Police were evident but seemed relaxed and nothing violent was happening. We were less than 50 feet from the demonstrators and spoke to some of them who were handing out leaflets. I believe that any danger to tourists may have been overblown and that the protest is largely finished. Go and enjoy the beauties of Budapest and don't miss the Opera House. Watch your step on the sidewalks!:eek:

Bop

Archived