COMMUNICATION: Who Wants Cell Service At Sea???

sail7seas

I saw this posted elsewhere.

SeaMobile Enterprises Announces Agreement with Holland America Line; Wireless Network Installation Aboard Holland America Line's Luxury Ships Largest Contract to Date for Fast Growing SeaMobile

SEATTLE--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Sept. 20, 2006--SeaMobile Enterprises, the dominant global service provider of at-sea communications, connectivity and content services, announced today it has signed an agreement with Holland America Line, the leader in the cruise industry's premium cruise segment. SeaMobile will provide wireless cellular phone and PDA services for Holland America Line's guests throughout the world. Installations of wireless broadband communications equipment will begin on board Holland America's entire fleet of 13 ships later this year.

The SeaMobile communications service will allow guests and staff of Holland America's ships to use their own cellular phones and wireless PDAs while at sea. SeaMobile's proprietary technology is a sophisticated IP/software-based solution that works with any type of wireless phone (GSM, GPRS or CDMA) used by the guest when accessing the SeaMobile network. This allows virtually anyone aboard any vessel at sea to use voice and data services available through their wireless home carrier, just as they would on land. Worldwide roaming agreements established by SeaMobile provide transparent connectivity for wireless services. Charges for calls and data services will then appear on the user's wireless bill from their home carrier.

"We are pleased to be chosen by Holland America Line as their communications partner and view this as an important milestone for SeaMobile," said Bill Marks, chief executive officer of SeaMobile Enterprises. "Holland America is known for offering premier services at a great value to its guests. Being chosen by Holland America Line further validates the leadership position that SeaMobile has earned very quickly in this industry. To be selected as a Holland America partner speaks of their confidence in SeaMobile to provide seamless communication services to their guests at an affordable rate. We will more than meet their expectations."

Maritime Telecommunications Network (MTN), a SeaMobile company, already provides satellite connectivity and manages the Internet cafes on board Holland America's ships. These simple-to-use, high-quality services are expected to complement a host of premier services aboard Holland America Line ships.

Holland America Line is consistently among the highest-rated cruise lines, and was recently awarded the Best Overall Cruise Value by World Ocean & Cruise Liner Society in Ocean & Cruise News for the 14th consecutive year.

"Over the course of our company's history, our cruise line has carried more than 10 million passengers across the world," said Stein Kruse, president and chief executive officer of Holland America. "This is a result of our commitment to providing the best comfort and amenities for guests aboard our 13 luxury ships. We chose SeaMobile Enterprises to provide simple-to-use, superb communication services for our ships, because we know how important it is for our guests to have the ability to stay connected with family, friends, and business associates while at sea."

We all saw this coming.

I predict a very large number of passengers missing from ships as soon as this service is in place - from other passengers throwing them overboard!:eek: (I'll be one of the tossers!)

My favorite thing to do to someone who's yacking on their cell phone in public (like in a grocery store isle) is to stand close and start up a VERY LOUD conversation of my own - even if I'm by myself! They either get disgusted and can't continue their conversation due to mine, or they think I unstable and they leave quickly. Either way, they go away!

Doug

Works for me, in the privacy of my cabin

Your own cabin, maybe the atrium, perhaps a section of the rear deck. But certainly not in the dining rooms, show lounges, bars, etc. That I agree wholeheartedly with.

And remember, too ... this cell service is not gonna make a ship like it is at home with cell phone users. You're not gonna have people yakking it up all day long, with the phone glued to their ears. Remember, at home cell service is pretty cheap. Just about everyone can afford it. But, on a ship, there will be a premium charge attached to it, and that premium charge is gonna make people use it sparingly. No one wants to get that first cell bill post-cruise and pass out from heart failure at the amount due.

I think cell service at sea is gonna be a welcome ammenity ... for just about everyone.

Blue skies ...

--rita

We all saw this coming.

I may be in the minority, but I think it is a GREAT thing and it will encourage more people to cruise.

And, as long as it is controlled ... and restricted to certain areas of the ship ... I see no problem whatsoever with it.

Look ... let's be fair ... some of us can forget everything while we are at sea. But there are others of us who simply can't. Maybe an emergency crops up at work ... "where the heck did you bury that spreadsheet file? We can't find it and the brass at headquarters are screaming!" Without cell service at sea, some people simply wouldn't be able to cruise.

There are also those of us who have sick or elderly family back home. We like the comfort of knowing we can be reached if an emergency were to arise. I know I have a 93-year-old father at home, and while he is in great health ... you just never know. I would definitely like to be reachable at sea so that if something does happen, I can be made aware of it and then make my own decision as to whether it warrants getting off the ship at the next port and flying home.

So, yes ... I am so glad to read this news release and I hope they get this cell service installed fleetwide ASAP. As long as there were only certain areas of the ship where you could go to check your voice mail or make a call, I can't imagine why cell service at sea would be an intrusion on anyone's cruise experience.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I saw this and thought.. wow cool what's the big deal, I even thought This is Good for us because my hubby is the owner of his business and really a week with no communication kinda has us scared...................BUT!!

I read what the last poster said and realized how rude the world has become:eek:

My way of thinking was great in the privacy of our room he could check messages and return calls if needed...

Can you imagine sitting and having a nice meal and having someone's cell phone ring!!!! Can you imagine walking through the ship and someone in front of you on their cell??? So I don't really know what I think... Hopefully people will be thoughtful..

I may be in the minority, but I think it is a GREAT thing and it will encourage more people to cruise.

And, as long as it is controlled ... and restricted to certain areas of the ship ... I see no problem whatsoever with it.

Look ... let's be fair ... some of us can forget everything while we are at sea. But there are others of us who simply can't. Maybe an emergency crops up at work ... "where the heck did you bury that spreadsheet file? We can't find it and the brass at headquarters are screaming!" Without cell service at sea, some people simply wouldn't be able to cruise.

There are also those of us who have sick or elderly family back home. We like the comfort of knowing we can be reached if an emergency were to arise. I know I have a 93-year-old father at home, and while he is in great health ... you just never know. I would definitely like to be reachable at sea so that if something does happen, I can be made aware of it and then make my own decision as to whether it warrants getting off the ship at the next port and flying home.

So, yes ... I am so glad to read this news release and I hope they get this cell service installed fleetwide ASAP. As long as there were only certain areas of the ship where you could go to check your voice mail or make a call, I can't imagine why cell service at sea would be an intrusion on anyone's cruise experience.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Excuse me, Rita, but in my post that you quoted, I did not express an opinion as to whether I like it or not so please do not address your argument to me as though I expressed displeasure.

Maybe I'm happy about it?

Maybe I'm not?

Maybe I'm not sure?

Controlled? Restricted to certain areas? You're kidding ... right?

The mark of a good manager is that when they're away, no one notices. They have adequately trained/mentored their subordinates to do their jobs, and have left no strings dangling upon their departure.

Critically ill family members? What are you going to do if you get a call halfway across the Atlantic or halfway to Hawaii? Seriously. Once you get to the first port of call, use a phone card and check up back home. Then, if you need to abandon ship, you'll have air transportation at hand to get back home. If the family member is critically ill or at risk, perhaps another time would be better for you to take a cruise.

I'm sorry. I just don't see the need. I understand the convenience factor for those who have cell phones and all that. But for the most part they're simply not necessary aboard ship. I'm sure many of you will disagree, as you have every right to. But that's my read.

I predict a very large number of passengers missing from ships as soon as this service is in place - from other passengers throwing them overboard!:eek: (I'll be one of the tossers!)

I'm with Doug

The last thing I want, is to hear incessant gabbing by some oaf on thier cell phone. (But before tossing the inconsiderate boob over the rail, I'll take the phone, and smash it with a hammer .... if a hammer is in reach :D )

Right now, Holland America has one ship with Cingular Cellphone service.

From the Cingular website: "Note: Effective September 15, 2006 Cingular World Traveler cruise ship rates will be $2.49 per minute."

Whether the new service will be priced any differently remains to be seen, but if the rates are anywhere close to that, there won't be that many people using their phones. More likely you will see them wandering aimlessly around the ship punching the buttons on their phones with their thumbs as they send text messages, which are much cheaper.

Thank you Sail. Well we needed another thread to get us going, and this appears to be it.

As I said, I am for it , and would use it only in my cabin. The thing is that a lot of people are not going to limit their use to their cabin or some other private, area unless HAL makes it clear that public use is not allowed.

The " as a courtesy to your fellow passengers, please refrain..." thing will be abused by the " it's my cruise and I shall do what I want to" crowd.

So it will become incumbent upon passengers to confront the abusers or put up with it. We may be dining with people who feel the need to call someone to read them the dinner menu and provide a course by course description of the meal or incessant use of PDA's. Entertainment venues may be disrupted.

Maybe I'll pack a squirt gun. Hmmm.

Sails: I also thought that you were displeased with the notice. Perhaps it was the final line of your post. Sorry if that wasn't your intent.

We would absolutly be appalled if cell use was available. If there were an urgent urgency there are the emergency ship #'s to call; and there is always the internet.

It will drive me to drink even more: why can't people learn to relax and leave work, family, friends, etc behind. Our first cruise was in the early 80s. We had no TVs, no phones and the news consisted of a printed out sheet each morning we could pick up and find out what was happening at home. At the time my husband happened to be working in the White House (actually in the old Executive offices) did he think he was indespensable for 9 days? Nope, he left his work in the hands of others and took advantage of the much needed vacation. We survived quite nicely. I think cell phones are great inventions, used properly; when everyone starts walking around on deck, carriy on one conversation after another I hope the phone goes overboard; not the user, well maybe them also. NMnita

From the Cingular website: "Note: Effective September 15, 2006 Cingular World Traveler cruise ship rates will be $2.49 per minute."

Thanks Grumpy. I did not realize the cost. This should help curb it except for those making or receiving business calls.

One thing for sure is that chances are some people will be rude with their phones..

I agree with a previous post that states that if a manager has trained his personal properly all should go well...but then there is the real world... I remember my corporate america job...:o well sometimes customers are just too spoiled and only want to hear from the "boss" but a week really is not too much to ask..

HOWEVER my husband being the Owner in a company with just me and him is a little different... I realize that we would be in the minority... but we have clients that do things globally and they use us due to our speed and quick output which we could obviously not do...

So I personally do not know where I stand... I still have not decided if I am for it or against it...

My husband, for one . . . :D

But there are others of us who simply can't. Maybe an emergency crops up at work ...

For that very reason!

I'm with Doug, Jim and Vic.

And these restrictions will be enforced the same as "No diapered babies in the pool" is enforced. :rolleyes:

Critically ill family members? What are you going to do if you get a call halfway across the Atlantic or halfway to Hawaii? Seriously. Once you get to the first port of call, use a phone card and check up back home. Then, if you need to abandon ship, you'll have air transportation at hand to get back home. If the family member is critically ill or at risk, perhaps another time would be better for you to take a cruise.

I have to disagree, Jim. If you know nothing until you hit port and then find that you need to abandon your cruise, you will be rushing back to the ship to pack, trying to make travel arrangements etc. Being able to work all of that out before arriving in port would be a big advantage. Remember, family emergencies don't just happen to seriously ill people. People get seriously injured or killed in car accidents, have serious falls, etc, all of the time.

You may argue that with the ship's phone service and internet, you could be notified by other means than a cellphone. While generally true, in the case of Slinkie's brother and sister, should something happen to one of them the other would make three phone calls: our home, her cellphone, my cellphone. They have no internet and would never go through the procedures to call the ship.

You are right about good managers. Unfortunately, there are a lot of managers that are not GOOD managers when it comes to being able to step away from the job. You also have situations where certain clients refuse to deal with anyone else in a company, and you either make yourself available or lose the business.

Archived