Can I Bring it on the Airplane?

sail7seas

Nurseblissful..... Appreciate your commenting about prescriptions and want to be sure I understand?? You are suggesting we be sure we fill our Rx before we travel rather than plan to fill them when we arrive at our destination which is a different state than where the Rx was written?

That's a great tip..... I can imagine people thinking it safer to do that rather than try to travel with their prescriptions.

Thanks everyone for the sandwich/snack suggestions.

The challenge (for me) is to find something that fits within my diet regimen, doesn't require refrigeration (which is why Peanut Butter used to be perfect) and is permitted to be brought aboard the plane.

I know I'm 'tough to feed'. I simply don't eat junk food. I hugely limit sugar; no white bread/pasta/potatoes/rice. Only whole grains, brown rice, whole wheat pasta. I fully acknowledge I'm a pain in the bucket. It is a very rare occasion when I would eat any of the stuff they offer at airports at the kiosk type places.....even their salads (when I see one) are pathetic IMO That is why I am trying to plan ahead to provide for DH and me what meets the rules.Thanks for trying to help with all sorts of suggestions.

I think, for now, protein bars and clear, factory sealed bag of almonds will have to do. Maybe an apple or orange.

You peaked my interest about the Ry Krisp. I was at 2 grocery stores this afternoon and looked for them at both stores. Both had the Seasoned RK. Can't understand why your stores would have a problem. I am in a small town and both stores had 3 kinds of RK, including the Seasoned. Yours certainly can order them if my local stores can.

If you are talking about the lightish blue/white box that is about 8" long, that is not the same cracker. We have those in all our stores as well. That is a light colored, rather tasteless ( IMO ) unremarkable cracker. The one HAL serves is dark, dark brown and has lots of flavor. It may be manufactured by the same company but it is a different cracker.

If you are talking about this dark brown one, I'm jealous. I live in cosmopolitan area with a selection of major markets in addition to Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Wild Oat and none of them carry this cracker. I've looked in all our markets.

The quaker Q bars even have some taste, we get them for our daughter in a dorm where the food isn't great.

They even put coupons for them in the newspapers around here.

Yes, travel isn't easy anymore, but it is important we ALL play by the rules, ALL of OUR safety depend on it.

This cruise we are lucky, only heading down the east coast and we do that

junque food in airports if we have to.

Be Safe

I agree we need to follow the rules. That is why I am going to these lengths to find 'permitted solutions' for me and DH.

I am doing my best to follow the rules. The hard part is the inconsistency between one inspector to the next, one airport to another.

Thanks, Gooselace and Tricia.

I'll have to start thinking up some other 'against starvation' alternative.

I know some power bars are better than others but most are loaded with sugar and are very high calorie. I suppose for an emergency though, they'd be better than nothing.

I don't like most Power bars but have come to enjoy as a snack..

"South Beach Diet Cereal Bars" & "South Beach Diet Snack Bars"...

They come in several flavors..Mixed Berry, Cranberry Almond, & Peanut butter with Chocolate Chips...They also have a chocolate flavored one...The cereal Bars are 140 Calories, 10 g Protein, 5 g Fat, 7 g

sugar .The snack ones are less 100 Cal, 10 Prot, 3 fat, 4 sugar...They are quite tasty & I use them for a snack quite often..

They also have meal replacement bars, but only use them if I can't possibly have breakfast or lunch...Those have more calories etc.

You might like them..Betty

I hope I word this right so I don't end up being flamed for this, but about 9 years ago I developed adult onset allergies. One of these being a fatal allergy to all nuts, especially peanuts. Some people are so allergic that they cannot even be exposed to an open container or package of nuts.

Luckily mine is not quite that severe, but please remember that you leave the nut residue on everything you touch after you've eaten them, your seat belt is one of many things that come to mind. Purell is not allowed to be carried on anymore so that is not an option.

Packaged bars are not so much of a problem as most people keep the wrapper around them when they eat them. Loose packaged nuts can fatal for many of us.:eek:

Just a very gentle caution...........

Bev

I'm sorry to hear of your allergy and thank you for the reminder. I had not thought of nut allergies in this conversation. Airlines have handed out peanuts for years though. How have you gotten around being exposed to them on every flight? Every bar/cocktail table on HAL ships has a dish of nuts. Something I hadn't thought about.

Sprocket - Your caution was very well-worded. :)

John & I don't fly much & fortunately for us, his severe allergy is to bee-stings, which we usually know have happened. ;)

The last few times we have been in airplanes, we remember the little package of snacks being of pretzels with a notation on the wrapper to the effect that due to severe nut allergies, pretzels have replaced peanuts. But of course, that doesn't prevent other airline pax from bringing on their own. The airline can't control that. So, to echo Sail, how do you handle those situations?

I take along my own snacks for the flight. Alaska Air hands out a packaged mixture that has no nuts in it I believe... I generally just pass everything over to my husband;)

I also try not to touch anything when I sit down at the bars, (except for my glass of course:o ) and try to remember not to put my hands anywhere near my mouth, if there are nuts on the bar. On our last Hal cruise on the Oosterdam it seems to me that many of the bars had something like Goldfish crackers in jars and not so many nuts.

Sail and Sunshine,

I can be exposed to them, I just cannot eat them. Thanks for your concern, and I'm sorry about your husband's allergy, I know bee stings can also be fatal for some people.

My flight next month is with Southwest Air, does anyone know if they serve nuts?

Bev

Thank you so much for mentioning the severe reaction to peanuts that some people have (including my grandson). I know that airlines I have flown on in the past 5 years have substituted other snacks and discontinued peanuts as people have died of anaphalaxtic shock just from inhalling the scent from the peanuts or touching a spoon that was contaminated with peanut oil. I know it isn't something that most take too seriously but if you are travelling with strangers please consider snacks that are peanut free. Even the Hallowe'en candy boxes are now labels "Peanut Free" so the awareness is growing for those people who could lose life because of a peanut snack that they didn't even chose to eat. HAL was so good on our Alaska cruise. When nuts were offered to us in the Crowsnest and we said no thank you because our grandson had a nut allergy, magically cheddar fish appeared and did so evertime we stopped at lounges. Peanut butter was also not served at breakfast with toast in the dining room. It means so much for people to be so considerate. With all the limitations imposed the airlines may actually have to start feeding us - another excuse to raise the cost for flights...

Sail, I have been left sitting on a runway for hours and was very hungry for a lot of the time. Since then, I have NEVER traveled without a snack even when I travel first class because you can't get anything when you are stuck in the plane on the ground!

I have found some wonderful peanut butter filled pretzels at Fresh Market that truly satisfy hunger attacks. In the past two months, I have taken them twice from Alabama to LaGuardia and back again and then from Atlanta to Charlotte without anyone in security even asking to see them. There is no calorie count on them, and I am sure they are not low in calories, but they are pretzels and peanut butter.....sounds healthy to me!:)

Anyway, this is just a suggestion. I know how you feel....preplanning.....as that is the way I travel as well. If you have a Fresh Market near you, try them. The pretzels are located in plastic dispenser tubes and not prepackaged.

Those sound wonderful and exactly perfect for what I want to have with us. Sadly, we don't have Fresh Market in our area. I haven't heard of them in New England but you've given me a new suggestion of something to look for in Wild Oat or Whole Foods that might have a similiar item. They sound as healthy as one can hope for in a 'transportable snack'....and delicious.

On FOX News this morning, they are reporting that TSA is now going to allow us to purchase liquid and gel items in the airport AFTER we have passed through Security.

Good News to learn we can at least buy water. Who wants to drink water from an airplane's tap. If they handed out sealed bottles to passengers great but I wonder how many are pouring a glass from their pitcher which was filled at the tap on board.

A bottle of water and one of those snacks would be enough to hold anyone over for a length of time.

Yes, we've been given sealed bottles as well on AA and Jet Blue.

But, a huge percentage of passengers boarded with their own water bottles. They didn't need to ask the flight attendants for water seeing as they had their own.

Since the new security regulations and banning of water bottles, everyone needs water/beverage from the attendants and the demand is getting costly and hard to manage for them.

No surprise anything that cost the airline money was going to lead to pressure on TSA to find a solution to save the airline money.

That solution is to now sell us water at the airport. We can't bring our own but we can buy it after we pass through security and will be allowed to board with it.

Those cabins are so dry not many people can last a full flight of even 3 hours without hydration. It isn't safe!! They'll start to see severely dehydrated people without doing something about providing adequate water.

Changes just announced by TSA Assistant Secretary Kip Hawley, effective tomorrow:

1. Small Amounts of Liquid will be allowed through checkpoints

(gels, aerosols, eye-drops,liquid meds, make up, shaving cream, etc.)

-- 3 oz. or less, sealed inside 1-quart sized clear plastic ziptop bag.

2. Liquids bought before flight inside security zone.

--bottles of water, coffee, duty free, etc., so long as is bought inside security zone

This is probably obvious and a stupid question but I heard the news report live and heard him say about using the one quart size zip loc bags.

Does each individual item of 3 ounces or less have to be in it's own zip loc or can a few articles be placed in the same bag?

Sail7seas,

You mentioned in an earlier post that you have a Trader Joe’s in your area. You also mentioned that you liked the idea of the peanut butter filled pretzels that CrusinNana suggested. Trader Joes, sells peanut butter filled pretzels. They sell them both salted and unsalted.

THANK YOU, Waterbug. I like Trader Joe's and stop there regularly. I never noticed those pretzels but will be looking for them at my next stop there.

I feel good to now have a replacement for my jar of peanut butter.

Far as I know, only first class gets food (if one can call it that) on most domestic flights.

Am I mistaken about airlines and food these days?

I didn't see anyone answer this part of your post. My husband is flying Delta today from the Salt Lake City to Virginia. It's a VERY long flight, 4+ hours. He got his First Class upgrade and will be served a meal, but the folks in coach only get a 'snack'--a box with cheese and crackers, a cookie thingy, and some granola. Recently he flew from here to Cinncinatti and no food at all was provided, not even the snack box. Just nuts, chips, etc. It turns out Delta just recently changed its policy: 'Food' is only provided on flights of 1550 miles or more. From here to Cinnci is 'only' 1449. So, no, you're not mistaken about airline food. Even First Class on that second flight didn't get 'food'.

As for being ready just-in-case, you are SO smart. We always carry stuff with us--protein bars, nuts, fruit, some candy. Several years ago, a friend of mine was stuck in the Denver airport for over TWO DAYS with nothing to eat except a Hershey bar. She got in late at night and was stranded by a snowstorm that shut down the entire city. The food places that were open quickly ran out of food, and no supplies (nor workers) could make it in to the airport to open anything else. It was a nightmare for her! Not to mention getting stuck on the tarmac--SIX HOURS once! WITH a baby! Like you, we always provide for ourselves because you know the airlines won't do it.

Robin

Oh Robin.......You have ' so climbed into my brain'. You think like I do.

I do not count on anyone to provide for us in any situation where we are able to provide for ourselves with proper pre-planning.

If I bring a muffin and never eat it; FINE!!! I'd so rather it go stale than that I'm stuck in an airport for two days with no food.

IMO......yours is a GREAT post.

Sail, I don't think anyone answered your earlier question and you probably know by now (since we watch the same News:) ) that your 3 oz. bottles of liquids and gels must fit into a 1 quart ziploc bag. From what I can tell, that is all you can take. In other words you can't fill 2 ziploc bags.

Archived