Questions about alcohol onboard (merged)

Bob,

It seems to me you have missed the point - there are some of us that are not too concerned about the 'bulk booze' rule - it is a matter of personally enjoying the cruise experience. For example, on our first cruise on Grandeur, as was the acceptable practice then, I brought four very nice wines (not on the RCCL list) on board and each evening, the Sommelier made it a point to inquire regarding our preference in wine for the evening. It added to the enjoyment of each meal and the cruise experience. (and a reasonable 'tip' to him for his attention to us.) Recently on our cruise on Radiance, there was no Sommelier, not a 'Wine Steward', not even the Head Waiter to be concerned about our evening preferences (he had about 1200 other passengers demanding his attention) - so the Assistant Waiter did her best to open and pour our dinner wine. Not exactly a positive memorable fine dining experience. NOW - RCCL has established a positive 'NO ALCOHOL' to be brought on-board policy. And while I have absolutely no positive evidence to support my view, I am confident the 'powers that be' within RCCL that do monitor these posts have decided that the 'smuggling' and such activity as many here have suggested must be stopped! If we quit talking about it here and simply let each individual do as they wish and take the associated risks, we will all be much better off in the long run.

Have a GREAT next cruise!!!

Bob,

It seems to me you have missed the point - there are some of us that are not too concerned about the 'bulk booze' rule - it is a matter of personally enjoying the cruise experience. For example, on our first cruise on Grandeur, as was the acceptable practice then, I brought four very nice wines (not on the RCCL list) on board and each evening, the Sommelier made it a point to inquire regarding our preference in wine for the evening. It added to the enjoyment of each meal and the cruise experience. (and a reasonable 'tip' to him for his attention to us.) Recently on our cruise on Radiance, there was no Sommelier, not a 'Wine Steward', not even the Head Waiter to be concerned about our evening preferences (he had about 1200 other passengers demanding his attention) - so the Assistant Waiter did her best to open and pour our dinner wine. Not exactly a positive memorable fine dining experience. NOW - RCCL has established a positive 'NO ALCOHOL' to be brought on-board policy. And while I have absolutely no positive evidence to support my view, I am confident the 'powers that be' within RCCL that do monitor these posts have decided that the 'smuggling' and such activity as many here have suggested must be stopped! If we quit talking about it here and simply let each individual do as they wish and take the associated risks, we will all be much better off in the long run.

Have a GREAT next cruise!!!

I find it interesting that people even care like ccxnola:confused: if some one smuggles

Last year on our cruise we had beer delivered to the room and brought some of our own wine at the end of the cruise we still had a $500 bar tab for two of us , people like us help keep your cruise prices resonable so if i decided not to cruise because I can't afford are you willing to pay more?

ohman,

It truly is not about the smuggling by some - it is the posting here of ideas to get around the rules - and then RCCL takes the info and acts on it. Discuss those sorts of things in 'private' - which CC Boards certainly are not!

Previously there was a 'partial' ban where we could bring in wine that is not on the mediocre & overpriced wine list - but NOW RCCL has in place a TOTAL BAN on any alcohol being carried on-board. And based on some posts, it seems they are taking a hard line about it on some ships - and I feel sure it will be expanded to all ships in the future. In my view, this is not a good way to encourage repeat business.

But - sure, go ahead and smuggle if you wish - but don't cry & moan if you get caught.

NEWS FLASH FOR CRUISE NUT AND CCX...

RCI CAN TAKE THEIR "BOOZE RULES" AND STICK EM!!! I am not above the law but I am certainly above this outrageous, phony, greedy rule. I will certainly not be told "TO BE QUIET" when it comes to sounding off about this latest outrage from RCI!!! IT IS RCI WHO SHOULD BE TAKEN TO TASK HERE !!! TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS!!! You can continue to flock with the rest of the sheep. We will continue to celebrate cruising as we always have. My cabin is my domain...and what I do in my cabin is none of your business as long as I am not bothering anyone else. We will continue to discuss this topic with or without you. Please be sure to notify me if we are on a ship together...so I can scratch you off my guest list...HEAVEN FORBID...if I invited you to our cabin for a drink of SMUGGLED BOOZE!!!

RCI CAN TAKE THEIR "BOOZE RULES" AND STICK EM!!! I am not above the law but I am certainly above this outrageous, phony, greedy rule. I will certainly not be told "TO BE QUIET" when it comes to sounding off about this latest outrage from RCI!!! IT IS RCI WHO SHOULD BE TAKEN TO TASK HERE !!! TOTALLY OUTRAGEOUS!!! You can continue to flock with the rest of the sheep. We will continue to celebrate cruising as we always have. My cabin is my domain...and what I do in my cabin is none of your business as long as I am not bothering anyone else. We will continue to discuss this topic with or without you. Please be sure to notify me if we are on a ship together...so I can scratch you off my guest list...HEAVEN FORBID...if I invited you to our cabin for a drink of SMUGGLED BOOZE!!!

Well Said

I do think it's rather funny that no one will really talk about Quest here. It's kind of a secret so it doesn't "spoil it" for others. Perhaps the upper classmen here would do better to help the newbies, (like me) to simply refer people to the rules section and let it go. No one is going to win this battle in this forum.

Just a thought.

From what I've read of RCCL's alcohol policy is you can still purchase wine/ liquor in ports and bring it on board where they store it for you until the last night of the cruise. You cannot bring any kind of alcohol at all on board when you embark. Buying it in ports you visit and bringing it on board is still ok and it's stated in RCCL's policy so it has nothing to do with what ship you are on. ;)

You obviously missed the point. RCI has rules, no liquor can be brought on board and taken back to your room. The poster you quoted, and myself bought liquor in port and it WAS NOT HELD UNTIL THE LAST NIGHT OF THE CRUISE, we took it straight to our rooms. So it does depend on what ship you are on. :rolleyes:

:D Too funny CGT. Pssst folks, it's a message board. This is where you talk about stuff like this. We get what CCX is saying, and some of us are saying that people will talk about it if they want to and as with every other thread on a message board everyone else can choose to read it or not.

This whole liquor thing seems so ridiculous. I was pretty sure it was against the rules to bring liquor onboard for years. They used to allow wine with the corkage fee. I think it really sucks that they won't allow you to bring the wine anymore or a small amount of liquor for that matter. I think most people purchase drinks from the bars when it is convenient. It is just nice to have a pre-dinner drink or glass of wine in your cabin while getting ready without the hassle of running to a bar or calling room service and waiting god knows how long to get it. I have not seen many people walking around ships with drinks they have prepared themselves. But, I guess we are stuck with whatever rules they want to impose on us.

ohman,

It truly is not about the smuggling by some - it is the posting here of ideas to get around the rules - and then RCCL takes the info and acts on it. Discuss those sorts of things in 'private' - which CC Boards certainly are not!

Previously there was a 'partial' ban where we could bring in wine that is not on the mediocre & overpriced wine list - but NOW RCCL has in place a TOTAL BAN on any alcohol being carried on-board. And based on some posts, it seems they are taking a hard line about it on some ships - and I feel sure it will be expanded to all ships in the future. In my view, this is not a good way to encourage repeat business.

But - sure, go ahead and smuggle if you wish - but don't cry & moan if

you get caught.

ccxnola I realize what you are saying i was talking more about your comment on the give your liver a break and what you said about the affording it in the first place , my point was that i brought booze on board and still managed to support the cruise ship as well every one is happy:)

OK. Here is my confession. I was not asking this question as a way to get around the no liquor policy, I was asking because of what I read about the policy in the RCI book that our TA gave us. We get a new book each year when they come out. It was more strict and harshly worded than in the past and I was curious to see if anyone had had an experience with it. I do know that RCI monitors these boards and I am certainly not going to tell you(no offense) or them if I'm planning on smuggling booze onboard, or how I'm going to do that. Maybe if they see how much we are upset by this rule they will relax it a little bit. I'm not a"booze hound" but I do enjoy having alcoholic beverages when I am on vacation and a few beers while watching football on Sunday. As for the drinks being watered down, it depends on what you get and at which bar. On our last cruise last year, I bought a fufu drink at the pool bar and it didn't taste like there was much liquor in it. I bought a Captain and diet at another bar and it was VERY strong. I will buy drinks but as a lot of others have said, it is nice to be able to have a drink in the privacy of your cabin either before dinner of before you retire for the night. One of the best times is late at night on the balcony of your own stateroom; it is quiet and very relaxing. I really don't want to have to run to the bar to get that drink. I do appreciate all of the answers I received to my question. I also realized that it would start a fire storm which I didn't want but knew it would happen anyway. I apologize if I have "ruffled any feathers" but I wanted to find out how far they have gone to enforce this policy. Thanks to all. TTFN.

Well said Royalcaribbeanfan!

I would just like to say to any of the RCCL people monitoring this board...I would be a very loyal customer if it was not for this silly rule. I now will look else where and try others. At the very least let us buy what we want in your store on the ship and take it to our room ( nice compromise and you still make more money from us). No other vacation place acts as a prohibition officers.

You obviously missed the point. RCI has rules, no liquor can be brought on board and taken back to your room. The poster you quoted, and myself bought liquor in port and it WAS NOT HELD UNTIL THE LAST NIGHT OF THE CRUISE, we took it straight to our rooms. So it does depend on what ship you are on. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry you took it personally as I was just stating what the RCCl rule was and it is the rule for all RCCL ships not individual ships. However you are right, some ships must be more laxed in enforcing the rules than others are. It is annoying that the rules are not consistent yet RCCL expects people to follow them. I apologise if I offended you:( . I do have a question though, is it possible to buy a bottle of liquor and a mixer from a bar or store on the ship and take it back to your room so those who do like to have a drink in their room can do so that way? It seems to me that alot of people are mad that they can't have a drink in thier room and I just wondered if they could buy what they wanted on board to use in their room. I've read that you can also have room service deliver drinks to your room so that is an option also. If they sell you drinks for your room I don't see how they can object to selling you a bottle. ;)

In all my past cruises we would buy some liquor onboard to bring home because the price was better then we pay at home. But now you can't carry them on the plane. Does anyone know if the cruise line has come up with anything on this as i would think they must be losing a lot of money.

Thanks

Rod

is there any restriction from putting it in your hold luggage. I thought the only restriction was hand luggage. I regularly bring home bottles from overseas in my main suitcase - very well wrapped and have had no problems

We've brought the 6-pack cardbox box containers home from St. Thomas in the past. We always carry these on ourselves because I can't imagine the bottles making home unbroken in the cargo hold! Has anyone been to St. Thomas lately and know what they are doing about this? If anything, it has to be hurting their alcohol sales.

It is annoying that the rules are not consistent yet RCCL expects people to follow them.

It's very annoying. And this isn't the only rule RCI doesn't enforce on a consistent basis. No need to apologise, no offense taken.

I do have a question though, is it possible to buy a bottle of liquor and a mixer from a bar or store on the ship and take it back to your room so those who do like to have a drink in their room can do so that way? It seems to me that alot of people are mad that they can't have a drink in thier room and I just wondered if they could buy what they wanted on board to use in their room. I've read that you can also have room service deliver drinks to your room so that is an option also. If they sell you drinks for your room I don't see how they can object to selling you a bottle. ;)

Not any more. You can buy wine by the bottle from room service for in room consumption, but not liquor. You can of course order cocktails from room service, but the service is very slow and it just doesn't work for me.

Archived