Questions about alcohol onboard (merged)

The bottles of wine can be consumed all at once, if you wish or at your leisure. There is no limit on how many bottles you want to open (as long as it does not exceed the total in the package). We opened two on our first night dinner (white for appetizer and red for main course), had some at lunch and brought some to the room. Any leftover (those unopened bottles) are yours to take home.

As for the package and wine list, there was a post that listed all that. I remembered reading that....

Pelican Bill in his review referred to a Champagne card which casts $ 43.13 including gratuity for 10 drinks. Does anyone know if this can be purchased at the same time as the wine package and can it be renewed? Also it looks like an excellent deal but can you have 10 of the same drinks?

If you order the wine package, can you elect to have a bottle or two delivered to your cabin and the others delivered in the dining room? I'd be interested in a 7 bottle package but would certainly want to be able to get my hands on it whenever I feel like it! :)

This is the wine list that I kept from a post a few months ago - perhaps someone else can tell if the pricing is still accurate. Jan

WINE

Gold Selection:

Korbel Brut Sparkling - California

Stone Cellars Chardonnay, Beringer - California

Lindemans bin 77, Semillon-Chardonney - Australia

Danzante Pinot Grigio - Italy

Caliterra Sauvignon Blance - Chile

Woodbridge White Zinfandel (Mondavi) - California

Georges duBouef Beaujolais Villages - France

Stone Cellars (Beringer) Cabernet Sauvignon - California

Woodbridge Twin Oaks - Cabernet Sauvignon - California

Vina Tarapaca Merlot - Chile

Footprint Shiraz - Australia

Prices:

5 bottles - Value $165; Price - $113

7 bottles - Value $231; Price - $158

10 bottles - Value $330; Price - $226

12 bottles - Value $396; Price - $273

Platinum Selection:

Argyle Brut Sparkling - Oregon

Badger Mountain Organic Chardonnay - Washington State

Lindemans bin 77, Semillon-Chardonnay - Australia

Chateau St. Michelle Johannesburg Riesling - Washington State (really)

Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc - Chile

Beringer White Zinfandel - California

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Merlot - California

Faustino VII Rioja - Spain

Red Zinfandel - Cline - California

Prices:

5 bottles - Value $185; Price - $125

7 bottles - Value $259; Price - $173

10 bottles - Value $370; Price - $250

12 bottles - Value $444; Price - $299

Diamond Selection:

Argyle Brut Sparkling - Oregon

Meridian Vineyards Chardonnay - California

Badger Mountain Organic Chardonnay - Washington State

Lindemans bin 77, Semillon-Chardonnay - Australia

Chateau St. Michelle Johannesburg Riesling - Washington State (really)

Caliterra Sauvignon Blanc - Chile

Beringer White Zinfandel - California

Arboleda Carmenere - Chile

Robert Mondavi Private Selection Merlot - California

Beringer's Founder's Estate Pinot Noir - California

Faustino VII Rioja - Spain

Rosemount Shiraz - Australia

Red Zinfandel - Cline - California

Prices:

5 bottles - Value $190; Price - $137

7 bottles - Value $266; Price - $189

10 bottles - Value $380; Price - $274

12 bottles - Value $456; Price - $329

You have to pay the 15% gratuity on top of the price of any package, as with all drinks. Selections are available in the Main dining room, specialty restaurants and Windjammer. Selections are subject to availability and the line reserves the right to substitute a similar wine for one on the list if it becomes unavailable. Package is valid only on the voyage purchased and you may take home any unconsumed bottles.

12-bottle gold price is right....it's what paid two weeks ago. You can use it in the Windjammer too. You want some fun? Order a bottle of wine at lunch in te windjammer. You can confound at least 2 levels of waitstaff. However, it's perfectly valid so stick to your guns.

I believe you can take it back to your room if you don't finish...that was never an issue for me. Also, if you have bottles left (also not an issue for the ol' boozehound), you can return them for a pro-rated cost or pick wine to take home.

At least when we inquired about ordering the wine package on Grandeur in early August, they told us we could only have the wine in the dining room or Windjammer. I would have ordered the package if we could have had some wine delivered to our cabin to enjoy on the balcony at night. I don't know if this was the policy of Grandeur or whether it is for all ships. This was after they had changed their drinking age policy as well as changed being allowed to bring 2 bottles onboard that they do not stock. Their prices are much higher than even the markups at our local restaurants and 4-5 times higher than our local large wine store.

Pelican Bill in his review referred to a Champagne card which casts $ 43.13 including gratuity for 10 drinks. Does anyone know if this can be purchased at the same time as the wine package and can it be renewed? Also it looks like an excellent deal but can you have 10 of the same drinks?

Bearing in mind that Bill and I only know about it for sure on Explorer...

It's good for 10 champagne cocktails. They can be mixed and matched with any number of people. The card is only buyable and usable in the Champagne Bar. You can buy them throughout the cruise. The $43.13 includes the gratuity. The individual prices are $5.50 plus gratuity. They also give you hot hors d'oeuvres with your cocktails.

OK, ok, we really enjoy wine. From what I read on this forum, the wine packages seem to be a wise choice. Can you purchase two wine packages--like perhaps a 12 bottle gold package and a 6 bottle package of the highest price selection? ;)

There are times when we just want a glass and times when we want to share a nice bottle with our friends or table mates.

P.S. -- Since it will be a 13 night cruise, we might even go for 3 packages if possible (aren't we terrible!!):D

Keep in mind the package is only available the first day of the cruise. If you drink all you bottles in the first two days you will have to purchase per bottle after that.

If you really enjoy wine and think you would drink it that fast buy the larger package.:D

Thanks everyone for your input, and thanks Mamaneedesacruise, it sounds like RCI is starting to do something about expanding the beer selection. Ula, when we were on the Radiance in Alaska, we noticed they brought on a lot of local micro brews which, so it can be done, but I can understand how much of a nightmare it could be!! Kingsgirl, it would be nice to have a bit more of a Canadian selection, but local beers would even be better to try something different while away from home.

Thanks again.

Tracey & Mike

Ok, we're taking my parents on a cruise for their 50th wedding anniversary next November and my dad is saying he's not going to drink because he won't pay $6-8 for a drink. I tried to tell him that is the cost of the "fancy" or "foo foo" drinks and that beer or a drink like Rum and Coke won't cost as much as that.

Can anyone who's sailed recently give me ideas on the cost? I know when we sailed in July and bought the "foo foo" drinks they were around $6 but they were HUGE!!!

Thanks in advance, just want him to have a good time. I guess if worse comes to worse, we'll just have to buy all their drinks too!

Sue

My inclination is that they were around $4.50. Beer was $3-4 depending on draft or bottled. My husband would get rums and cokes, but they were added with my drinks and the receipts were tossed. All I have to go is my final bill and it's not really helpful breaking down prices.

Archived