Questions about alcohol onboard (merged)

If a steward took it upon him or herself to confiscate anything in my cabin there would be hell to pay!! I travel with drugs, I travel with syringes. I have paraphenalia that goes along. How does anyone know what I do with anything?

The only reason I believe him is because if he was pulling my leg I would never buy from him again but I do agree it seems odd. Also I know in Colorado when I was skiing on sundays they had a beer that was a lower proof just for sunday and the beer can looked just like the normal one. I called rc just because it I wanted to know and person who answered said she had heard of it being true but wasnt 100% so I have a number to call when they open on thursday, I will let you all know the true facts when I get them.

I can say for a fact that NCL does have a lower alcohol content in the beer and it says it right on the can. It is even lower than the beer in Utah.

How low can you go?

How can they serve beer that weak to a Canadian, SAY IT ISN'T SO, AAAAGGGGHHHHH!!!!!. Well I have come home from travelling in the states / a cruise and after 3 pints woo I feel good, to quote James Brown.

Originally Posted by TerriDHair

A couple we met on our Mariner cruise last month brought a couple of bottles of liquor in original packaging and when their steward came to clean the cabin on the first day he took it and told them they'd get it back on the last day, believe it or not!

If I had a steward that did that....he/she would get very little tip!

Even if it is company policy...they could at least discussed the problem with the couple first and explained why liquor in their cabin is not allowed! But this is JMHO.

Believe me, he (and it was a he) would've gotten less than very little tip from me. He did explain and he took it in our friends' presense, telling them he was sorry, but it wasn't allowed, and that it would be returned to them on the last night. I wasn't trying to give the impression that it just disappeared, I was just relaying the fact that it happened and that I was very surprised.

What is a champagne card? I was under the impression that Royal Caribbean did not off any type of alcoholic packages (except for the wine packages). I've never seen this being offered on our cruises

Here's the link that explains the card. I'm hoping to get one on Rhapsody in 23 days:D

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=426022&highlight=champagne+card

I overheard people asking the bartender in Vintages aboard Mariner...they noticed the beer did not have the normal amount in it...Sorry though, I didn't think much of it (or pay attention) until it was brought up here.

I know it has been talked to death, but I am curious as to the experience of recent Jewel Passengers out of Boston who took liqour on board in Checked luggage.

We have found that in ports such as Galveston and Vancouver you could almost carry on under your arm and no one ever said anything, whereas ports like Miami and FLL were more strict as to what you had in carry ons.

In the past our wine has gone into carrryons and liqour into checked. We will skip wine this time but still wish to have a drink before dinner.

I guess that really doesn't surprise me about the beer being lower alcohol content. In Minnesota, the gas stations are only allowed to sell beer that has 3.2% alcohol. I didn't think it was possible to get liquor that had a lower alcohol content though.

I think that must be very old--we just cruised in April--and have never been able to purchase ANY kind of "card" for alcohol of any kind. They offer a "soda" card, but we've never needed that.

No, it's not very old. It's from Explorer last month. As I try to reiterate...I know it's available and usable in Explorer's Champagne bar. It is possible that other ships that have Champagne Bars have the same or a similar program...or not. I have no personal knowledge about that.

Those hardy and self-sacrificing souls from the Champagne Card thread are taking it upon themselves to research their respective cruises and come back and report to us inquiring minds.

I didn't think it was an old thread, but I'm glad you jumped in to let us know for sure. I'll be on Rhapsody in 23 days, and hopefully I can report back that they do have the card. As soon as the Champaigne bar opens....I'll be right there to request one:D All they can do is tell me no..lol

What I gathered from reading the thread, is that the card isn't widely advertised. I think it was said they found it in small print on the back of the compass. I don't know if it is fleetwide or just certain ships that offer it. But I understand the detectives are working on finding the answer:rolleyes:

Happy sailings!

Crown Royal is 80 proof, therefore 40% alcohol.

There is no way that distillers (or wine makers) would change the integrity of their product and sell it under the same name.

As mentioned, in Minnesota 3.2% beer is the only beer available in certain venues, but "regular" beer is between 3.8 & 4.3, as anything over 4.5 is classified as malt liquor.

In 30 years I have never seen a 70 proof bottle of Crown. Ask your "expert" to show you a bottle of lesser alcohol. I believe the smoke will rise. :D

Lots of luck on getting a " true fact" from RCL. There are as many answers as there are questions when dealing with CS.

Archived