Questions about alcohol onboard (merged)

When we joined the ship in Vancouver, none of the checked bags were opened. We had a Scotch & Vodka packed with the undies. I also had a very large bottle of champagne in my back-pack. None of the alcohol was taken away, and none of the other passengers who did the same had any trouble either. As someone said to me, "With only a few hours to get everyone boarded, the last thing we're going to do is open 2000 cases looking for the occasional bottle."

Just my 2c worth. It was nice to have a drink in the cabin before hitting the sack, standing on the balcony looking out over the moonlit ocean.

To say nothing of the mid-afternoon, post luncheon, pre-nap libation!

Even in Hawaii when we reboarded the ship coming off the shore, nobody asked to see what was in our bag. I asked the security people checking if they'd be concerned if we did have a bottle of booze in there. "I couldn't care less unless it's likely to go 'boom' " was the guys reply!

Enjoy! We sure did!

:o

thanks for the info...what was the date of your cruise?

When we joined the ship in Vancouver, none of the checked bags were opened. We had a Scotch & Vodka packed with the undies. I also had a very large bottle of champagne in my back-pack. None of the alcohol was taken away, and none of the other passengers who did the same had any trouble either. As someone said to me, "With only a few hours to get everyone boarded, the last thing we're going to do is open 2000 cases looking for the occasional bottle."

Just my 2c worth. It was nice to have a drink in the cabin before hitting the sack, standing on the balcony looking out over the moonlit ocean.

Even in Hawaii when we reboarded the ship coming off the shore, nobody asked to see what was in our bag. I asked the security people checking if they'd be concerned if we did have a bottle of booze in there. "I couldn't care less unless it's likely to go 'boom' " was the guys reply!

Enjoy! We sure did!

Enjoy! We sure did!

We are planning on transferring whatever we take on she ship to a plastic iced tea bottle or whatever closely resembles whatever we want to drink that week. Since we are a little short on cash as of late, we are trying to save where we can. Plus, these days, I am such I light weight when it comes to having a drink, whatever I get will surely last for the entire week! So I just need a small bottle :p

We just returned from Splendour yesterday on its last Med cruise of the season. We packed 2 bottles of wine in our checked luggage and it arrived at the cabin no problem. The steward emptied the fridge for us and we kept it in there all week.

In Athens we brought a bottle of Glayva at the port duty free shop to bring home. We made no attempt to conceal it and expected to hand it in but no one said anything when it went through the x ray machine.

On this cruise we didn't see or hear them taking any alcohol all week.

Julie

We are planning on transferring whatever we take on she ship to a plastic iced tea bottle or whatever closely resembles whatever we want to drink that week. Since we are a little short on cash as of late, we are trying to save where we can. Plus, these days, I am such I light weight when it comes to having a drink, whatever I get will surely last for the entire week! So I just need a small bottle :p

Ang, that will probably work fine, but be aware, if they do happen to find it, they will dump it, not save it for you. The way the new rule is written, if you are underage, or try to hide alcohol, they dispose of it.

FWIW, when we came back from port calls two weeks ago, we could have easily bypassed the table where you turned in your booze, I didn't, because I bought my booze to drink at home, but it would have been easy to do. I think it's dependant on which port, ship, crew person that discovers what you have as to whether there's a problem or not. I just wish they'd be consistent with the application of the rule.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=434987

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=419131&highlight=alcohol

Well, here we go again. The first link above is another recent alcohol question, and the second is a merged group of about 5 alcohol questions.

Hypo answered the OP's original question, if you buy booze in the onboard store, it goes into storage until the night before the ship disembarks.

To respond to cb at sea, who answered a question that the OP didn't ask. It depends on the port, ship and crew, you can probably smuggle your booze onboard if you want to, but it's not 100%, they are starting to x-ray baggage (at least in some ports) and if they see something that looks suspicious, they are segregating that bag, and make you come down and open the bag. If it's booze, they confiscate it until the end of the cruise, unless you're underage or try to hide booze in another kind of bottle, then they dump it out. They have the option to deny boarding to anyone attempting to break the alcohol rule, but as of yet, no one here has mentioned that happening.

HI KENNY!!!

Here is the way the BOOZE thing is broken down. If you are on a 3 or 4 day RCI cruise you can expect to be searched and have your booze confiscated. If you are on a 7 day or longer cruise you have an excellent chance of packing on your favorite beverages...kind of hit or miss. So go ahead and take whatever it is that you want in your cabin and have a great cruise. If you listen to all the discussion on this topic it will probably put you in the nut house and drive you crazy. The worst that will happen is that your booze will be taken away and probably returned to you...big deal. Enjoy your cruise!!!:D

Remember...what you do in your cabin is your business as long as you keep it in your cabin and you do not bother or disturb anyone else.

Second hand information:My friend just came off the Mariner yesterday, she is a TA. She said they were taking liguor that was visible out of the cabins and returned it the last night. People at her table were in a suite and they also had liquor confiscated. Beer and wine left in the room.Can't tell you any more but she is a very reliable person, I am just passing this on.

THANKS TEAJAK!!!

I will remember to keep it locked up in my luggage...under the bed!!! LOL!!!:D

I have heard these rumors but to date no one on these threads has come out and said that they were personally part of a search and seizure in their cabin. I believe that maybe one person did post that but they were on a 3 or 4 day cruise. If these rumors are true I think we will see something on this board shortly.

THANKS TEAJAK!!!

I will remember to keep it locked up in my luggage...under the bed!!! LOL!!!:D

I have heard these rumors but to date no one on these threads has come out and said that they were personally part of a search and seizure in their cabin. I believe that maybe one person did post that but they were on a 3 or 4 day cruise. If these rumors are true I think we will see something on this board shortly.

CGT: That report came from the Mariner, so it was a 7 day cruise, if we are recalling the same post.

If I had a steward that did that....he/she would get very little tip!

Even if it is company policy...they could at least discussed the problem with the couple first and explained why liquor in their cabin is not allowed! But this is JMHO.

On my last cruise, our steward iced down the smuggled beer we had in the cabin, and left extra clean glasses for the zambuca we smuggled in. My wife and I still managed to have a $1400+ tab at the end of the week, and we had one of the smaller tabs out of our group. To us, it was more of an issue of using our suite as a get together for our group....I mean who wants to keep calling room service everytime someone needs a drink, especially when we had 7 couples traveling?? We never took the smuggled alcohol outside the cabin.

I have been on several cruises with my company, where we took over performing dealers on a week long cruise, where all alcohol and associated room charges were included / paid for by my company. I still smuggled alcohol for cabin consumption for the same reasons mentioned above.

The rules are a joke and the enforcement is even more of a joke. This is all about profits. I have a friend who is a habor pilot, who frequently brings in cruise ships, and through conversations with the crew, they really are doing this inconsistently and for reasons only of increasing the profit margin.

Anyone who thinks they are doing this for passenger safety is living in a fantasy world. On all of my cruises, I consistently see people too intoxicated to function, continue to be served.

On my last cruise, our steward iced down the smuggled beer we had in the cabin, and left extra clean glasses for the zambuca we smuggled in. My wife and I still managed to have a $1400+ tab at the end of the week, and we had one of the smaller tabs out of our group. To us, it was more of an issue of using our suite as a get together for our group....I mean who wants to keep calling room service everytime someone needs a drink, especially when we had 7 couples traveling?? We never took the smuggled alcohol outside the cabin.

I have been on several cruises with my company, where we took over performing dealers on a week long cruise, where all alcohol and associated room charges were included / paid for by my company. I still smuggled alcohol for cabin consumption for the same reasons mentioned above.

The rules are a joke and the enforcement is even more of a joke. This is all about profits. I have a friend who is a habor pilot, who frequently brings in cruise ships, and through conversations with the crew, they really are doing this inconsistently and for reasons only of increasing the profit margin.

Anyone who thinks they are doing this for passenger safety is living in a fantasy world. On all of my cruises, I consistently see people too intoxicated to function, continue to be served.

See I'm not so sure I agree with that entirely, because if profitability were the bottom line only, then why wouldn't they allow you to purchase even for a premium a bottle for your room? Mny people here state, they don't want to stay in there room much. There is so much to do!

I don't see a future of folks staying in their room and not buying drinks on the ship because they have a bottle in their room. Like you, we like a bottle for convieniance, not because we are cheap. I'm pretty certain our tab was $1500 as well last time. (Of course we each had a few spa treatments) I don't understand it?

Simple question, so many answers. I don't want to smuggle wine in. I do, however, want to be able to partake in a glass or two on my balcony. Can I order wine from NOS and have it delivered to my cabin? Will the wine package enable me to bring a bottle to my cabin?

Many thanks for replies.

Excellent question, my understanding on Grandeur was that I could have the wine I drank at dinner (from my wine package), if I didn't finish it, deliverd to my room. I don't have any idea though, if you can order wine from room service on your wine package card. Look forward to replies.

My husband and I were on Grandeur in early August and were able to order a bottle of wine from Room Service. They delivered it to our room so we were able to enjoy it on the balcony. It did take about 45 minutes after ordering for it to be delivered.

Archived