Questions about alcohol onboard (merged)

RCI has their own beer? Interesting. How is it?

Anyone know if they have Michelob Ultra?

Actually, my husband is the beer drinker in our family, and he tried it and really liked it!! He's pretty picky about his beer, usually goes for the darks and foreign brands.

I wonder what level of being " in the wine business" constitutes. :eek:

Well my uncle makes wine in his kitchen from fruit he grows on his farm in the backwoods of Arkansas and sells it, plus he occasionally bartends so I guess I could refer to him as being in the wine business.:p

Can you order a beer package delivered to you room? We are booked on our first RCI cruise, so new to these 'rules'. We have previously cruised Princess, where you can bring on whatever you want. Last cruise we carried on a case of Bud Light to enjoy on our balcony with friends, and a case of Diet Pepsi. While standing in line to board, we saw passengers with CASES of wine, and no one blinked an eye. I noticed on our last cruise you could order a 'package' of beer delivered to your room, which was 6 beers for the price of 5. Anything like that on RCI?

Nope! Nada! You can't get there from here. :confused:

Although, I'm not aware of this mini bar in the GS? Anyone know anything about that?

Princess was much more reasonable on the subject but someone here said even they have changed their rules. I think all the negative publicity of people coming up missing on cruise ships have effected this change.

. We have previously cruised Princess, where you can bring on whatever you want.

I am wondering if this is a true statement. I havent sailed on Princess yet but will coem February

I know we can carry on soda, wine and water but anything?? Cases of Beer and bottles of alcohol??

Ya better put your beer and hard stuff in your checked luggage or it will be confiscated and held til the last day

When we were on Princess, you were not allowed to bring on hard liquor, but you could bring wine or champagne. But what I liked was the fact that you could purchase a bottle of vodka, (at regular price with tip included,) which was about what you would pay at home, for your room. It wasn't from the duty free shop, and you had to go one particular bar to get it. However, I've heard they don't allow this anymore.

This is the one thing that I would like to be able to do on RCCL. I don't want to carry on liquor and I don't mind paying a fair price, but I'd like to be able to have cocktails in my room.

I am wondering if this is a true statement. I havent sailed on Princess yet but will coem February

I know we can carry on soda, wine and water but anything?? Cases of Beer and bottles of alcohol??

Ya better put your beer and hard stuff in your checked luggage or it will be confiscated and held til the last day

Well maybe things have changed on Princess, but we absolutely DID carry on a case of Bud Light on our last cruise, as did several other people we saw. Our cabin steward put 3-4 cans in our room fridge every day, along with our fresh ice. Never had a problem. And yes, we did buy several drinks from the bars as well. We simply like to have a drink on our balcony once in awhile!

In addition, everyone in our group bought liquor in Cozumel to take home, thinking it would be held till the end of the cruise. Not so -- they just smiled and waved us through upon reentering the ship. We had a bottle of rum in our room the remainder of the cruise and our steward brought us glasses and ice. We never opened it, as it was intended to take home anyway, but I just thought I'd mention it as people seem to think IT NEVER HAPPENS.

Sorry, but I couldn't pass that one up'

C'mon everyone, be nice! He's actually been a wine distributor for years and I'm almost certain he started posting *after* he opened the crown. Maybe he was mixing his drinks twice as strong :rolleyes:

As far as the drinks being "watered down"--are you sure you were on RCI??? I've NEVER had a weak drink--usually they're so strong, I take a swallow and ask for more tonic! Maybe the bartenders just like me!

I agree - I was on Mariner last week, had a vodka tonic that was 90% vodka with a splash of tonic - had to keep going back to the bartender and ask for more tonic. Next time around, I ordered a VT and a T only, and made two drinks out of it.

If those drinks are weak, I'd hate to see strong.

A few weeks ago, IM Niles (I think that's his screen name) reported that he was charged a corkage fee on Radiance for wine he purchased through the RCI gifts & gear shop and then brought to the dining room. I was just browsing the selections and saw the following fine print at the bottom of the page (my comment in red):

"Our extensive Wine Cellar Collection rivals those of the finest restaurants [ha!], offering more than 50 bottles of wine and champagne from around the world. Order from the list below and have your favorite bottle delivered to your stateroom or to your table at dinner. Please choose Dining Room delivery if you wish to drink your wine in the dining room (corkage fee is waived). Stateroom delivery indicates you will drink your wine in your stateroom only."

I've never noticed that before, and wonder if it's always been there. I think it's a ridiculous distinction, since you could produce a receipt if your waiter questions whether you brought it from home (which you aren't supposed to do:rolleyes: ) but there it is...

Sorry, but I couldn't pass that one up'

Tom, not that is has anything to do with the question that I asked I will tell what level. I was a wine importer and distributer for over ten years and for two years I have been the wine buyer for a Wine Spectator "Best of Award of Excellence" restaurant, in which I purchase around $600,000 a year in wine.

I go on this site to find answers and to get helpful information. I think some people get way off of the subject and start talking about things that have nothing to do with the original question.

Anybody know what kinds of beer they serve in the English Pub (i.e. Duck and Dog) on the Voyager-class ships? I would be so stoked if they had Kilkenny.

Don't remember Kilkenny, they had Heinekin, Bass, Guinuess and a cider on draught

Thanks for the info on the beer everyone. I was hoping they would have something more authentic - those beers you can get anywhere in the States. Glad to hear they finally have learned how to make an Irish car bomb. On our Grandeur cruise last year they didn't even have shot glasses to make a proper bomb.

Archived