Questions about alcohol onboard (merged)

Okay...Don't mean to beat a dead horse but understanding that we are not allowed to bring alcohol on board, are we allowed to buy it on the ship and bring it to our rooms??

Has anyone tried to bring wine or other liquor on board lately? If so, what happened? We belong to a couple boutique wineries and would really like to bring a couple bottles on board, but if it's too risky then obviously it is not worth it!

I know, I know...these threads go around all the time...sorry :o

Okay...Don't mean to beat a dead horse but understanding that we are not allowed to bring alcohol on board, are we allowed to buy it on the ship and bring it to our rooms??

Has anyone tried to bring wine or other liquor on board lately? If so, what happened? We belong to a couple boutique wineries and would really like to bring a couple bottles on board, but if it's too risky then obviously it is not worth it!

I know, I know...these threads go around all the time...sorry :o

I don't think they allow you to purchase on the ship and then take it to your cabin anymore. They used to--for a fee--but not anymore.

By the way, have a wonderful embarkation tomorrow.

Bon Voyage!

Just got off of the Jewel of the Seas........and must tell you that the new liquor rules are in place. RCCL is becoming very strict about bringing alcohol aboard. That being said.........if they find it in your cabin, it's your possession, and they won't bother you.

Beware..........that it will be taken away on the boarding process..........done randomly.........and ship to ship......and port to port, as the company sees fit.

Rick

Just got off of the Jewel of the Seas........and must tell you that the new liquor rules are in place. RCCL is becoming very strict about bringing alcohol aboard. That being said.........if they find it in your cabin, it's your possession, and they won't bother you.

Beware..........that it will be taken away on the boarding process..........done randomly.........and ship to ship......and port to port, as the company sees fit.

Rick

Hi Rick...

Did you notice them confiscating any liquor from anyone ? or, have you gotten your info from other cruisers that recently had a problem ?

Bob:)

Hi Rick...

Did you notice them confiscating any liquor from anyone ? or, have you gotten your info from other cruisers that recently had a problem ?

They were checking certain suitcases.............we had 2 bottles of wine that they did not check..........but some suitcases were held for liquor checks.

I had mine checked on the Monarch a few weeks ago. Fortunately, nothing was in that suitcase.

Rick

I have never perosonally smuggled booze on board but have known others who have. I just dont want to take the risk of ruining a expensive outfit OR having to rewash my clothes onboard. I prefer to use an outside company that will make up a gift basket for me and have it delivered to my cabin. Shelley will make up a gift basket of beer, wine or champ for you, no hard liquor. Her prices are very resonable and the personal touch is great. You can contact the company called Just Because of You at 1-800-882-9707. The cruise lines approve of these deliveries but the cruise lines and the ports do put a limit of how much alcohol can be delivered to each cabin. Call Shelley and see what she has to offer. I have been using her for a while and have yet to be disappointed by her.

They were checking certain suitcases.............we had 2 bottles of wine that they did not check..........but some suitcases were held for liquor checks.

I had mine checked on the Monarch a few weeks ago. Fortunately, nothing was in that suitcase.

Rick

Were they checking your carryon bags or your checked luggage ?

We did not find that anything had changed since our last cruise on RCCL July 2005. We still took what we wanted on board like we always do. It was securely packed in our checked bags and arrived safely and completely.

Whoa, wait a second here... RCCL has discontinued the whole "consumption fee" process that used to be in place at the on-board duty free shops? (ie. one could buy a bottle of wine/liquor at the on-board shop and then pay a reasonable fee to bring it back to your room)

If so, for shaaaaaaaaaaaaame. :(

Whoa, wait a second here... RCCL has discontinued the whole "consumption fee" process that used to be in place at the on-board duty free shops? (ie. one could buy a bottle of wine/liquor at the on-board shop and then pay a reasonable fee to bring it back to your room)

If so, for shaaaaaaaaaaaaame. :(

Welcome to Cruise Critic Section ThirtyOne!!

I believe that if you check, RCCL discontinued allowing the store to sell liquor for a fee to use during the cruise last August (August 2005). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Rick

I believe that if you check, RCCL discontinued allowing the store to sell liquor for a fee to use during the cruise last August (August 2005). Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for the update. The last RCCL cruise I was on was in March of 2005, so I must have got in just before the change. :p 'Tis a shame they have discontinued that policy as it was quite an attractive proposition!

Rick

To be specific, Rick, the change became effective on August 5, 2005. :D

I was on the Vision on the Oct. 23, 2005 Mexican Riviera sailing and the duty free store was still selling liquor to take to your cabin.

I just got back from the Jewel, Sept. 30 sailing, Canada/New England, and my husband and I both had bottles of liquor in our checked luggage. No problem. We had them out in the cabin all week and our cabin steward even brought us cocktail glasses.

I also saw people bringing bottles of water onboard in several ports.

I dont know how much the package costs but have read on these boards that, before you purchase a package, you should confirm that they have the selections you desire.

On cruiser bought a 5 bottle package and they were "out" of 3 of the 5 bottles that he wanted off the wine list. He was frustrated and said, if he had known that, he would have purchsed a smaller wine package, rather than subsitute in wine he wasnt really interested in.

JFYI

I would say if you budget $200 for a 5 bottle package you should be safe.

Hi there! I just booked my honeymoon on Royal Caribbean's Adventure of the Seas. Does anyone know how much the onboard wine package costs? We're trying to budget for our honeymoon and would love to factor in this cost ahead of time.

Thanks in advance!:)

Just off Navigator: I paid $212.96 for the middle package of 7 bottles. That included the tip.

They brought the bottle I chose to the table for dinner and if I didn't drink it all they brought it back the next night. I could have taken the leftover back to the cabin or ordered a bottle to take but just didn't spend enough time in the cabin to do that.

There didn't seem to be a very large selection in any of the catagories but they were not bad.

Somewhere on this site is a list of all the selections from all the packages.

Have a great time on your honeymoon and congratulations!!!:)

Archived