Drinking the Wine brought Onboard

hurstbear

looks like you figured that out a couple of days ago....so busy you forgot...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=370834&page=3

My mother died recently and my husband and I have cancelled two other cruises - one to the Med and one to Tahiti because we were unsure of her rollercoaster situation. So, we're really in need of a break and I'm fairly new to this venue and was trying to tap into the kindness and generosity of those who are far more familiar with shortcuts. I appreciate your information but am not quite sure if there was a sarcastic slant to the response or not........perhaps you're just having a bad day.

I know Princess charges a corkage fee if you bring your own wine to a restaurant.

I've heard both $10 & $15 per bottle... which is it for the Coral?

Also... if we have the wine opened at the main dining room, will they bring our bottle to a different restaurant like Sabatini's if we dine there next?

Yes, they will bring the wine to any other restaurant. If you don't finish a bottle and/or don't open a bottle, they will hold it for you and it is accessible from any restaurant.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone know if the liquor store at the Pier in San Juan will be open on Boxing Day 26th Dec as we are starting our Panama cruise from there on that day and want to load up ready for the New Year. I am assuming that the Stores in the town will be closed.

Was on Grand last month. Whenever we needed glasses, we called room service and someone was there within ten minutes, with glasses on a tray. The waiter always offered to open the wine before we could ask. We usually had to act quickly to offer a tip since he'd usually just give us a smile and hotfoot it back to his station!

:o . hopefully not straight from the bottle taking swigs, egads!!!!

Actually, bring a box of straws. It is much more couth (opposite of uncouth) than swigging directly from the bottle and also easier to share the wine. You can also airify (sp???) the wine by blowing bubbles into it.

DON

how many bottles of wine do you bring on board with you? Does Princess ever confiscate at embarkation? We had a lively discussion about this and we thought it was another cruise line that prohibited passengers bringing wine etc. onto the ship.

we have always brought our own corkscrew (in checked luggage) when flying. when boarding in Vancouver to go north to Alaska, we have also brought on a small coffee maker and then left it with the cabin steward upon disembarkation.:)

how many bottles of wine do you bring on board with you? Does Princess ever confiscate at embarkation? We had a lively discussion about this and we thought it was another cruise line that prohibited passengers bringing wine etc. onto the ship.

we have always brought our own corkscrew (in checked luggage) when flying. when boarding in Vancouver to go north to Alaska, we have also brought on a small coffee maker and then left it with the cabin steward upon disembarkation.:)

I noticed you listed your next cruise as the Sun princess---Just off her. Here's a novelty, in the patter it said that you were welcome to bring wine aboard, one bottle per adult, to "consume ONLY in the privacy of your stateroom". I have no clue if they enforced that, I didn't bring any because I had to travel so far, I just bought it onboard.

Anyone know?

Was on Grand last month. Whenever we needed glasses, we called room service and someone was there within ten minutes, with glasses on a tray. The waiter always offered to open the wine before we could ask. We usually had to act quickly to offer a tip since he'd usually just give us a smile and hotfoot it back to his station!

Sorry I should not laugh, you Americans are an amazing race! You are prepared to tip for some flamin wine glasses......... :eek:

I noticed you listed your next cruise as the Sun princess---Just off her. Here's a novelty, in the patter it said that you were welcome to bring wine aboard, one bottle per adult, to "consume ONLY in the privacy of your stateroom". I have no clue if they enforced that, I didn't bring any because I had to travel so far, I just bought it onboard.

Anyone know?

That is what it says also on the Princess web site, a bit late to print it in patter ? It would appear from reading some threads that this rule is not being enforced.

For those of you that are having problems with corkscrews, we also found last year on HAL that if we rang room service for a corkscrew the would not leave it.

Maybe its time you all start looking for NZ and Aussie wine (the best in the world in my opinion) we are very smart down-under we have changed to screw tops! Corkscrews are a thing of the past, and the wine keeps so much better and it can be stored standing feet up also :D

We just got off Dawn yesterday and paid $15 corkage ....... but oh well - it's only $15.

Only $15? For doing absolutely nothing! :rolleyes:

Don't forget to tip for that as well! :D

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter;

Perhaps you have never brought a bottle of wine to diner on Princess, or if you have, you did not receive the proper service for it. The corkage fee includes not only opening the wine, decanting if necessary, cooling in an ice bucket if required, providing the proper glasses for the type wine, pouring the wine when you require more and finally, storing and delivering the bottle the next night, if you did not finish it all. The waiter gets a portion of the fee as a tip, so no additional tip required.

I do not believe that $15 is an excessive charge for all of that service, since they made no profit on the bottle that YOU brought into their dining establishment.

For Chivalrygirl, on Princess ships it is customary to tip room service a dollar of two for minor service, more if a large order. You may disagree with the custom, but it is prevailing system on Princess. I believe the old saying of "When in Rome, do as the Romans do" applies here. I do not "love throwing money" any more than you probably do, but I know how little the fine service folks earn on Princess and other lines, and I do not begrudge them a dollar or two for bring me some clean wine glasses each day. When the system changes, I will certainly change with it, or when in your area, I will try to follow your customs. I hope you will be as considerate for us.

Fair winds

Dave

Are you really that cheap or you you just joking

Just curious

Are you always this rude, or just joking? :D

Let's see if I can get this right, price of the cruise drops $15 dollars, rush to TA and see if you can get the price drop. That's thrifty and good sense.

Waste $15 on a corkage charge, that's cheap.

Hmmm.

Cheers,

Peter

Hi Peter;

Perhaps you have never brought a bottle of wine to diner on Princess, or if you have, you did not receive the proper service for it. The corkage fee includes not only opening the wine, decanting if necessary, cooling in an ice bucket if required, providing the proper glasses for the type wine, pouring the wine when you require more and finally, storing and delivering the bottle the next night, if you did not finish it all. The waiter gets a portion of the fee as a tip, so no additional tip required.

I do not believe that $15 is an excessive charge for all of that service, since they made no profit on the bottle that YOU brought into their dining establishment.

No, I have never brought a bottle of wine to dinner.

So, are you trying to convince me, or yourself that there is some sort of cost involved in drinking a bottle of wine? :D

From what I recall, there are ice buckets all around, the wine glasses are already on the table, the waiters are normally never around to pour the wine after the initial glass, and I believe I have read here that the waiter gets a whopping .50 of that charge as a tip.

Not that everything you read here is truthful though. :D

As to profit, they make no profit on the coffee, water and iced tea they serve as well, why should a bottle of wine be any different?

All that "service" snicker snicker snicker.

Cheers,

Peter

Peter; From your reply, it is obvious that you have never received the good service that my wife and I have enjoyed on our previous Princess trips. We have sailed 11 time on Princess, and have never had to pour our own wine because "The waiters are never around after the first glass." The glasses on the table are not for all types of wine, and are normally removed and the proper glasses presented. Perhaps your attitude is showing through and the waiters are not around because they know you are going to "stiff" them.

I believe the answer for you is simple. If you do not believe the corkage fee is worth it for the service received, don't bring any wine to the dining room, simply order off the menu. I believe the service we get over and above what is expected is well worth the charge and will continue to enjoy some fine wines that are not available on the ship.

Fair winds

Dave

Peter; From your reply, it is obvious that you have never received the good service that my wife and I have enjoyed on our previous Princess trips. We have sailed 11 time on Princess, and have never had to pour our own wine because "The waiters are never around after the first glass." The glasses on the table are not for all types of wine, and are normally removed and the proper glasses presented. Perhaps your attitude is showing through and the waiters are not around because they know you are going to "stiff" them.

Dave

Dave, we have never had anything but the usual generic wine glasses on our table. On which ships did you receive the proper glasses, pray tell?

I confess that my taste buds run to the "tastes pretty good to me" school of wine tasting, but I love swirling red wine around in a big glass. It does make the flavor intensify/mature/whatever the word is beautifully!

To the OP: We get wine glasses from room service. Just the generic ones, though. I think I'll ask for true red wine glasses next time and see what happens.

Chivalrygirl: Why the hostility toward Americans and our customs? We are usually very congenial and hospitable to other nationalities. If we want to tip and you don't, so be it. Live and let live, please.

This is my very last post on this topic. You just don't get it do you, if you paid everybody a decent living wage there would be no need to tip anybody.

Tipping is not normal policy in the UK, Europe, South Africa, Australia but to name but a few countries. Why insult people in a service area and make them so different to the rest of your citizens, to me a beggars belief!

The rich cruise line stockholders just love the profits that come back to them, you are encouraging them from not paying decent wages to their crews. Behind your backs these other nationalaties that crew these vessels actually talk about how dispicable they find the whole system and would much prefer to just receive a decent living wage like other people. Whether you agree or not you are forced to tip the whole shooting match. I wonder why P & O Australia on their site state that they have for your convenience a per day gratuity charged to on board account of $AU6.50 a day (a great deal less than the $US10 charged on Princess and other cruise lines) which you may have removed if you chose or you may elect which member of crew receives your automatic gratuity. They have bent over half way to accomodate the bad feeling that comes from people who come from countries where tipping is a "no go".

You might not realise but Princess does not necessarily sail out of US ports either, it sails all round the world. Then again Princess is not even a US owned company, not even registered in the US. So why do you assume that it is yours and your customs? This also beggars belief. :confused:

I see tipping for the glasses as very appropriate, and yes I would have a dollar or two ready, right after I made the call to room service. Regardless of what anyone makes or does not, I see it as this.... they save me the trip to go and get the glasses myself. For free, I could go get them or I can have the convenience of someone bringing them to me. I see this as a nice luxury and as such don't hesitate to pay. Also with room service especially that person bringing my glasses, might have had the opportunity to bring another cabin food, which is customarily tipped for. Again just my 2 cents, and I guess that I like to reward people who are friendly and helpful. Having worked in a service industry myself, I never saw a gratuity as begging, and it always gave me a good feeling to get an especially nice tip, as I saw that I pleased the people I was working with.:D

Hi Critterchick;

Just last Jan. on the Grand in first seating our waiter was very knowledgable and when we brought our first bottle of "nice" wine, he looked at the bottle before he uncorked it and said "This deserves the "good"glasses." He produced them from the little serving station next to our table. We had several discussions about wines we liked and from then on, I ask him to do the "tasting" for each of the bottles I brought for him to open. He always produced the correct stemware for each wine.

The previous Jan. on the Sea 14 day Southern, we asked for some red wine galsses and our waiter said he would check, in a few minutes he was back with some nice red wine glasses. He did not drink, but our head waiter, Richard, did and he made sure we had correct glasses the rest of the cruise. Of course we rewarded each accordingly over and above the standard gratutity. Most other cruises, we have had to ask, and most times, but not always, we have been taken care of.

Fair winds

Dave

Archived