Anyone Remember The Bremen???

back in 1969 my Auntie Mame and a friend of hers from work took a cruise out of NYC to the Carib on the Bremen.  Onboard they met 2 men that were best friends.  3 years later my Aunt married one man & her friend married the other man.  They honeymooned for a few months in Europe after sailing TA on the FRANCE!!!

She preferred the FRENCH & Italian Lines of that era but she said her most memorable the BEMEN.

My Aunt treated me like her son & took me on my first cruise.

On 3/15/2021 at 8:12 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

WOW NB...I wonder what the schnapps would be worth in Germany today??  You might have something that would be very valuable to someone from Germany.  They would probably want to drink it!  The Germans were extremely proud of the Bremen (pronounced “Braemen”) when she debuted in 1958.  They took a 20 year old French ship and rebuilt it to a very high standard and made one of the most comfortable and charming vessels to sail the Atlantic.  Thank you for sharing.

I forgot to mention that the bottle of schnapps for the Bremen is from between 1929-1939. That makes this small Norddeutscher bottle between 84-94 years old now as of 2023. 

On 4/22/2023 at 7:21 PM, RICHARD@SEA said:

back in 1969 my Auntie Mame and a friend of hers from work took a cruise out of NYC to the Carib on the Bremen.  Onboard they met 2 men that were best friends.  3 years later my Aunt married one man & her friend married the other man.  They honeymooned for a few months in Europe after sailing TA on the FRANCE!!!

She preferred the FRENCH & Italian Lines of that era but she said her most memorable the BEMEN.

My Aunt treated me like her son & took me on my first cruise.

Great story Richard.  It just shows how romantic an era that was.  All those ships oozed romance.  My DW and I honeymooned on the Bremen and we’ll be married 52 years in October!  We also crossed on the SS France and sailed to the Caribbean on the Leonardo DaVinci.  Your aunt was right…she must have had really excellent taste.  All those ships were so special…a totally different experience from today’s mega ships.

3 hours ago, norboy76 said:

I forgot to mention that the bottle of schnapps for the Bremen is from between 1929-1939. That makes this small Norddeutscher bottle between 84-94 years old now as of 2023. 

Hello Norboy,  I still say you should get an offer on German EBay.  I’ll bet those bottles are worth a lot!

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly not really, there’s a couple on EBay and Etsy for less than $30 and a couple selling for around $10 plus shipping. Plus I wouldn’t want to sell as in my personal collection. There’s one person selling 2 bottles on EBay for $22.79 plus shipping.

On 5/7/2023 at 4:27 PM, norboy76 said:

Sadly not really, there’s a couple on EBay and Etsy for less than $30 and a couple selling for around $10 plus shipping. Plus I wouldn’t want to sell as in my personal collection. There’s one person selling 2 bottles on EBay for $22.79 plus shipping.

So sad…those bottles are worth more…