Prepaying for soda?

Hi,

I'm sailing on the Explorer Oct. 15 and was wondering if anyone ever heard of paying a certain amount of money and getting all the soda you want to drink on board? My hubby's friend said that he was on this cruise in the summer and he paid like $20 and he was able to get all the soda he wanted. Is anyone familliar with this? Thanks.

Marianne:rolleyes:

Welcome to the boards and to cruising! Yes you can get prepaid soda cards. It is more than $20 though. For a 7 night cruise it should be about $45 or $49 dollars. Someone will have the correct amount. There are certain bars to go buy the soda cards at. It really isn't a card but a sticker they will put on your sea pass card. I am an avid diet coke drinker at home but when I am on a cruise a couple a day is good enough for me with a lot of iced tea! :D and the tea is free! Have a great cruise!

When you board there will be a table set up for you buy a soda card. It is about $6 per day plus 15% tip and then you can get all the soda and juices you want at the bars and via waiters but note, it is not cans it is fountain soda.

Hope this helps.......

Adults' Fountain Soda / Juice Package:

This package entitles guests 18 years of age and older to unlimited consumption of fountain sodas (no cans) and juices at all bars and lounges, Windjammer, Main Dining Room and Private Destinations (CocoCay and Labadee®).

This package is available for purchase on the day of embarkation at all bars and lounges and may be charged to your SeaPass account. After this package has been purchased, a sticker will be placed on your boarding card allowing you to consume fountain sodas (no cans) and juices throughout your cruise. A complimentary Coca Cola souvenir cup is included as part of the package.

Juices that are included in this package are orange juice, grapefruit juice, pineapple juice and cranberry juice. Please note that juices are always complimentary at Breakfast.

The cost of the package is $6.00 per person, per day, and is applicable to the total days of the cruise vacation. A 15% gratuity charge will be added.

Please note: The fountain soda and juice package is only available for the total amount of days of the cruise and prices are subject to change without notice.

Kids' Fountain Soda / Juice Package

This package entitles our younger cruisers (guests 17 years of age and younger) to unlimited consumption of fountain sodas (no cans) and juices at all bars and lounges, Windjammer, Main Dining Room and Private Destinations (CocoCay and Labadee®). This package is available for purchase on the day of to your SeaPass account.

After this package has been purchased, a sticker will be placed on embarkation at all bars and lounges and Adventure Ocean and may be charged your boarding card allowing you to consume fountain sodas (no cans) and juices throughout your cruise. A complimentary Coca Cola souvenir cup is included as part of the package.

Juices that are included in this package are orange juice, grapefruit juice, pineapple juice and cranberry juice. Please note that juices are always complimentary at Breakfast.

The cost of the package is $4.00 per person, per day, and is applicable to the total days of the cruise vacation. A 15% gratuity charge will be added.

Please note: The fountain soda / juice package is only available for the total amount of days of the cruise and prices are subject to change without notice.

from the material from the RCCL site, quoted above:

Adults' Fountain Soda / Juice Package:

This package entitles guests 18 years of age and older to unlimited consumption of fountain sodas (no cans) and juices at all bars and lounges, Windjammer, Main Dining Room and Private Destinations (CocoCay and Labadee®).

This package is available for purchase on the day of embarkation at all bars and lounges and may be charged to your SeaPass account. After this package has been purchased,
a sticker will be placed on
your
boarding card allowing
you
to consume fountain sodas (no cans) and juices throughout your cruise. A complimentary Coca Cola souvenir cup is included as part of the package.

The cost of the package is $6.00
per person
, per day, and is applicable to the total days of the cruise vacation. A 15% gratuity charge will be added.

So YES, you should buy one for each person

it is not cans it is fountain soda.

On Voyager, it was fountain in many places, but they poured from 2 liter bottles from many places, such as the front of Winjammer, which got me to wondering if the crew keeps the bottles caps when Coke has contests going on, or frequent buyer things. I have to imagine that they open a few hundred bottles a week. Good deal for them if they do.

The soda package is really only worth it if you drink alot of sodas per day. My husband purchased it and drank up to get his money's worth. I like tea as much as soda, so I just stuck with tea since it was free.

I'm not as sure about this. I probably wound up drinking my break even point. But, I already came away with about 10 billiion little paper receipts from the ship. It was so nice to be able to get something that I did not have to sign for and add to my receipt collection.

• 2 months later...

I always get a prepaid soda card because I don't drink that much booze.

I like decaffeinated coke and I can use my card to get it at the bars and the snack place on the promenade in cans. I usually pick up 4 or 6 cans in the morning and haul them back to the room and stash them in the mini fridge. I also get them to serve decaffeinated coke to me in the dining room.

The decaffeinated coke is stored in a "secret place" somewhere and the guys have to go and get it. They are performing a special service for me so I always tip them nicely and guess what, after the first request they always have it hidden away near by, already chilled for me.

I always get a prepaid soda card because I don't drink that much booze.

I like decaffeinated coke and I can use my card to get it at the bars and the snack place on the promenade in cans. I usually pick up 4 or 6 cans in the morning and haul them back to the room and stash them in the mini fridge. I also get them to serve decaffeinated coke to me in the dining room.

The decaffeinated coke is stored in a "secret place" somewhere and the guys have to go and get it. They are performing a special service for me so I always tip them nicely and guess what, after the first request they always have it hidden away near by, already chilled for me.[/quote

I always get a soda card also for the same reason but I am surprised they gave you cans of soda as cans are excluded from the soda card. :o

Don't listen to these people....you can buy 1 card and it's good for your extended family (20 people Max)....same applies to pool chairs...you only only save up to a Max of 20 chairs at 1 time...same goes with the show lounge....not a problem (if they're all wearing jeans and a ball cap)

<scarcasim off>

My DH prefers Pepsi so we do bring on a 12pk, but he mostly drinks it in the cabin when we come back from a tour. He usually drinks coffee otherwise. He has purchased a couple of sprites at $1.75, so for us the soda card is just not worth the price. Now for our kids yes since juice is included too.

Bev

Can someone please tell me what drinks are already "free"? Are they available most of the time?

I did read that juice is "free" at breakfast.

Anyone know if the iced tea is sweetened or unsweetened? Are there sugar-free drinks available most of the time?

We will be on Explorer of the Seas

Thanks!

Can someone please tell me what drinks are already "free"? Are they available most of the time?
Iced tea, lemonade, hot coffee, hot tea, hot chocolate. Tap water.

I did read that juice is "free" at breakfast.
Yes, fruit juices are included at breakfast in both the Windjammer and the dining room. At other times, there is a charge. If you buy the soda card, you get unlimited juice as well as unlimited soda (from the fountain gun)

Anyone know if the iced tea is sweetened or unsweetened?
unsweetened
Are there sugar-free drinks available most of the time?
Water.

We will be on Explorer of the Seas

Thanks!

There's been many posts about this for several cruise lines. Some think it's ok, some think is unethical. My take is that for $6, for what the cruise line pays for bulk soda, only buy one. I buy the card because my wife drinks a lot of club soda. I might have a coke from time to time, but not enough to cough up another $6/day. They make more than enough from us on the bar bill, so I have no guilt about being parsimonious about the soda card.

Archived