HAPAG LLYOD ships BREMEN & EUROPA

KiwiIan

Just interested to know if any cruisers using the HAPAG line ships are aware of the CC web site, most passengers seem to be German speakers and i was just wondering if they have a special site similar to the CC where they also confir with each other. The CC seems to be dominated by the north american market, both ships and passengers. Who knows, this might even start something. Ian

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if you're aware of the fact that we cover Hapag-Lloyd -- specifically Columbus and Europa -- on the site. We have reviews for both and Europa, in particular, is included in just about every best-of feature in our luxury Cruise Styles section.

I did a trip on Europa last year -- we had an awesome experience.

I think part of the problem with Hapag-Lloyd, and have said this elsewhere, is that the line is ambivalent about expanding into the North American market. Sort of wants to, sort of doesn't. Which makes it more problemmatic to cover them, for most outlets here anyway.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

I didn't even know we had a COLUMBUS review! I'll have to look at it.

What about HANSEATIC and BREMEN?

HANSEATIC in particular looks like a really nice ship. Certainly the most luxurious "expedition" ship out there.

I agree that they are too ambivalent about expanding into the English-speaking market... Except for COLUMBUS' Great Lakes cruises which are actively marketed here.

Not sure if you're aware of the fact that we cover Hapag-Lloyd -- specifically Columbus and Europa -- on the site. We have reviews for both and Europa, in particular, is included in just about every best-of feature in our luxury Cruise Styles section.

I did a trip on Europa last year -- we had an awesome experience.

I think part of the problem with Hapag-Lloyd, and have said this elsewhere, is that the line is ambivalent about expanding into the North American market. Sort of wants to, sort of doesn't. Which makes it more problemmatic to cover them, for most outlets here anyway.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor

Cruise Critic

Thanks for the info carol, will track it down. Regards Ian.

My partner and I cruised the Great Lakes last year aboard Columbus. It was a unique experience which we enjoyed. There were about a dozen Americans aboard the cruise which was billed as bilingual. It mostly was, however, it seemed that the German explanation was much more detailed than the rather short English translation which followed. Most of the German speaking passengers were reluctant to speak to us in English. They did have a lecturer on board who spoke about the history of the Great Lakes in separate German and English sessions. She was fantastic. I had traveled on Europa (not the current ship) through the fjords about 20 years ago. That was also a bilingual trip and one of the best ever. Be aware that Hapag Lloyd does not run their ships to the same exacting standards. The Columbus is less upscale and would probably not be acceptable to the average North American traveler.

Columbus arrives in New York this Wednesday. I recently received an invitation from Hapag Lloyd to come on board for a reception, tour and luncheon. Naturally I accepted. I believe they are particularly interested in attracting more English speakers, especially on the Great Lakes cruises.

I'm rather surprised that there were only 12 English-speakers on the Great Lakes cruise - I had rather expected that there would be more. In past years they often chartered the ship to an American company for some of these cruises and so she carried almost entirely American passengers from time to time.

You are certainly correct in that not all of their ships are of the same standard. Actually, they themselves rate EUROPA at 5+ stars, HANSEATIC at 5, BREMEN at 4, and COLUMBUS at 3. From everything I've heard, these are actually pretty accurate ratings - at least in relation to each other, anyway.

Interesting to read about the "new" Bremen and Europa. I sailed on the "OLD" Bremen and Europa transatlantic liners in 1967 from NY to Bremerhaven to NY. Altough I was only in the 5th grade back then I do remember some aspects of the crossing and the ships were very nice. I remember making friends aboard and trying to sneak into the first class areas ;)

Yes, Hanseatic and Bremen both look interesting but for the time being we're going to stick with the two we have. If Hapag Lloyd decides to market Hanseatic and Bremen more aggressively, we'll cover them. We were getting ready to assign Hanseatic, by the by, back when it was operated, seasonally, by then-Radisson Seven Seas (now Regent).....

Carolyn

I didn't even know we had a COLUMBUS review! I'll have to look at it.

What about HANSEATIC and BREMEN?

HANSEATIC in particular looks like a really nice ship. Certainly the most luxurious "expedition" ship out there.

I agree that they are too ambivalent about expanding into the English-speaking market... Except for COLUMBUS' Great Lakes cruises which are actively marketed here.

Hi, Ian. I also wrote a virtual cruise -- the Europa trip was through the Middle East. So there's another source of info about the experience -- ashore as well as onboard. Go to reviews, then scroll down to virtuals....

Carolyn

Thanks for the info carol, will track it down. Regards Ian.

We were getting ready to assign Hanseatic, by the by, back when it was operated, seasonally, by then-Radisson Seven Seas (now Regent).....

Carolyn

I remember when they first chartered EXPLORER II - a lot of the passengers had been on HANSEATIC and were expecting the same level of quality. That caused quite a problem!

There was a plan a couple of years ago to give BREMEN the new name DISCOVERER and market her in the US through a firm called Expedition leaders. However, that somehow never got off the ground.

It is interesting to note that the first English-language Hapag-Lloyd web site was actually an "Antarctica Special" for HANSEATIC and BREMEN... Before they created the main English-language site. But now their English-language marketing seems almost exclusively focused on EUROPA, except for COLUMBUS' Great Lakes cruises.

They are such a fascinating company, I really wish they would market more here! Certainly Peter Deilmann seem to have been successful in marketing DEUTSCHLAND here.

• 3 months later...
I was just wondering if they have a special site similar to the CC where they also confir with each other.

Hi Ian,

yes, of course, we have some cruise boards in Germany.

The biggest is this "Kreuzfahrten-Treff" by Raoul Fiebig (Admin): http://cruise-chat.com/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/663605432

Others are these: Deutsches Kreuzfahrt-Forum http://www.forengruppe.de/phpbb2/viewforum.php?f=6

and: KF-Treffen http://kftreffen.siteboard.de/portal.htm

Ian, maybe we see you in Tauranga in January

Peter

Thanks for the feedback. And stay tuned -- we're going to create a new section for folks who, North American or European, like a variety of ships. I, personally, am a big Hapag Lloyd fan!

Carolyn

My partner and I cruised the Great Lakes last year aboard Columbus. It was a unique experience which we enjoyed. There were about a dozen Americans aboard the cruise which was billed as bilingual. It mostly was, however, it seemed that the German explanation was much more detailed than the rather short English translation which followed. Most of the German speaking passengers were reluctant to speak to us in English. They did have a lecturer on board who spoke about the history of the Great Lakes in separate German and English sessions. She was fantastic. I had traveled on Europa (not the current ship) through the fjords about 20 years ago. That was also a bilingual trip and one of the best ever. Be aware that Hapag Lloyd does not run their ships to the same exacting standards. The Columbus is less upscale and would probably not be acceptable to the average North American traveler.

Columbus arrives in New York this Wednesday. I recently received an invitation from Hapag Lloyd to come on board for a reception, tour and luncheon. Naturally I accepted. I believe they are particularly interested in attracting more English speakers, especially on the Great Lakes cruises.

Carolyn,

Thanks for keeping the Europa in the Cruise Critic loop. We are booked for 19 days on the Europa in November from Barcelona to Rio de Janeiro. Our German is very rusty (to say the least) and, as far as we are aware this is not a bilingual cruise. Are we crazy?

I don't think so. We were on for 14 days (I think) and loved it all. The only disappointment is you won't understand the lectures (they looked pretty good) but some folks will speak English and the officers and crew will look out for you, too (they spoke English; we got to know them better than the other pax!).

It'll be great.

Carolyn

Carolyn,

Thanks for keeping the Europa in the Cruise Critic loop. We are booked for 19 days on the Europa in November from Barcelona to Rio de Janeiro. Our German is very rusty (to say the least) and, as far as we are aware this is not a bilingual cruise. Are we crazy?

Carolyn,

Thanks for your response. We are really looking forward to this cruise. As long as we can communicate with the crew and staff, we will be O.K.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been considering the Europa for some time......especially since she sails all over the globe.

I myself love experiencing a different atmosphere on board ship........

I was fortunate enough to sail the MS Deutschland out of Kiel for a 10 day Baltic cruise. Although of German heritage, I speak no German.....The crew treated me like royalty and I wanted for nothing. The German passengers on board seemed stuffy.....I was told that the typical german passenger on this particular ship behaved formally since the ship had such a high reputation. Well being somewhat outgoing I tried and succeeded in making gatherings in the Fritz pub more festive. Well the more we drank...the more the barriers dropped.....and a fun time was had by all. I loved the experience!

So I am wondering what the Europa would be like....and if the crew is bi- lingual. I love being at sea, and this is one American cruiser that does not demand the North American cruise experience....Traveling and different cultures are what travel is all about...if not stay home.

The Hapag-Lloyd web site now has a list of their bilingual cruises.

I think they will accept bookings from English-speakers on any cruise, but these are their "official" bilingual cruises. Most of them are on EUROPA, then BREMEN, then HANSEATIC, and for COLUMBUS it is just the Great Lakes itineraries.

By the way, I understand that the Great Lakes cruises will not be repeated in 2008, so if you want to go on one, book for this year...

I first saw the Europa a few years ago and thought she was the most beautiful ship I had ever seen...and I still do. Would love to sail her someday, and have received brochures from Hapag Lloyd but their followups always come in German!! I hope they will reconsider and bring her into the Caribbean Market more, she is the size to get into the smaller islands.

You who are experienced cruisers, is there anything similar that is more English speaking???

Tinabrn,

We're taking our first Europa cruise in November, so we can only guess what the experience is like. However, my guess is that the english speaking ships that are the most like the Europa are those of Seabourn, Silversea and Regent Seven Seas. We've been on all three and like them very much.

Archived