Fire on Oosterdam

cindybeach

We did lose the port side azipod early this morning. They did several inspections and tests most of the day. We just retruned from our CC meeting with James Deering and he gave us the latest news. It is still a work in progress but at this point the new itinary is at sea on Monday, Tues in Mazatlan, Wednesday in Cabo and then a slow sail back to SD. Other than missing PV our cruise should be OK. At this point they think they can fix the problem next week in SD. The repair requires the ship to be in dry dock. I doubt next weeks cruise will happen. Other than the fire alarms going off and not knowing whether our cruise would continue we are enjoying the ship. I'll try to keep you updated but it looks like this is the plan unless something else unexpected happens.

Sad to hear this.

We know all about fires on "dam" ships -- most recently on the Statendam at 5:35 AM when one of the "silos" caught fire. We did get the 7 short signals but not the long one to abandon ship -- Captain get us all informed every few minutes for the better part of an hour. Instead of going straight to Hubbard Glacier we hugged the coast line just in case anything else did happen -- smoldering fires are among the worst. Yes, we got to Hubbard Glacier late -- but at least nothing happened to anyone.

This sounds a lot more serious and it appears that there will be some schedule changes. Hopefully they can get the repairs done quickly although this doesn't sound like an easy job.

Grampy, are you returning to SD early or just nice slow sea days with arrival back in port Saturday AM?

Also I see by your signature that you too like the aft:) What cabin number are you in on the Oosterdam? Our homm away from home is 5187 on the Oosterdam.

To be honest it still sounds like a great cruise to me, since we have been to PV several times we could stand to miss it for an extra sea day;)

Glad all are safe onboard. Hopefully things can be fixed next week.

Wow, who would have expected this after a drydock...... but things do happen.

The Oosterdam is such a beautiful ship. An extra sea day sounds lovely (though I'm sure some are disappointed to miss PV.)

Hope this works out and all is resolved. While some may say missing PV is not a biggie, there will be others who have never been there and considered it the highlight of the cruise who will be upset to miss that port. Fortunatly glad everyone is okay and fire is not serious.

Glad to know that there were no reported injuries - I'm assuming crew are all OK too.

John & I agree w/others that if a port is missed - no big deal, an extra sea day is lovely. Can always find something to do onboard & of course you won't starve. ;) :D

We realize tho that some pax consider the ship mere transportation to that destination. It's really not.

From my wie (on onboard) 7:00 pm

We just got a second letter from the captain. We will be in Mazatlan on Tuesday. On Wednesday we will go to Cabo,instead of on Monday as planned. No PV. We will return toSan Diego on Friday, but can spend the night on the shipuntil our normal flight. I’m glad our trip has notbeen totally canned. Having a good time. We had our firstformal dinner tonight. We are all getting $150 credit per person in credit, plus25% another cruise within one year. I'll work with Lori toget us to hopefully use it on our December 2007 cruise.

Randy

Randy, Thank you for reporting what your wife has told you. It does sound like HAL is trying to do everything possible. Plus sounds like they are making it up financially. I would not care if I spent the night on the ship Friday in San Diego actually it sounds like fun. Just get me on the "Dam" ship and I am a Happy Camper or should I say Happy Cruiser:D

Seriously, Thanks Randy, glad your wife is making the best of the situation.

Thanks so much for all of the information on this unexpected turn of events. I have a special fondness for the people on this board and am glad to hear all are safe. I hope the remainder of the cruise goes well and it sounds as if HAL is trying to do the best possible under the circumstances. We are scheduled on the Oosterdam in December. It is a beautiful ship.

COPPER 10-8 (John)

Off subject here but was wondering since you get messages from the hotel mgr on the Oosterdam if you know how to find out who the Cruise Director is. Any info would be great!! Going on 12/2 and looking forward to it.

Nan

I just thought I would mention that I have heard from the H/M Mr. Deering that all is well on the Oosterdam with the exception of moving a bit slower and have an abbreviated schedule this week missing P.V. They will have many engineers boarding the Oosterdam in Mazatlan to fix the problem and plan to be back to nomal by Saturday for next week sailing.:)

I just thought I would mention that I have heard from the H/M Mr. Deering that all is well on the Oosterdam with the exception of moving a bit slower and have an abbreviated schedule this week missing P.V. They will have many engineers boarding the Oosterdam in Mazatlan to fix the problem and plan to be back to nomal by Saturday for next week sailing.:)

Lisa,

I have a large Culinary Group sailing on the 14th. and was onboard all day yesterday meeting with James Deering, etc. When I left the ship at 3 pm al was well. When I heard of the fire and the possibiltiy that we would not sail next week my heart sank. I sent a note to Mr. Deering praying that we would be fine to sail.

I read your message just now and was very relieved!! Consider this a big hug from me to you!

Karen

While some may say missing PV is not a biggie, there will be others who have never been there and considered it the highlight of the cruise who will be upset to miss that port.

HAL will give everyone some OBC to keep them happy and ease any disappointment. After all, that's the nature of cruising ... you can't bank 100% on making any one particular port.

But the people scheduled for next week's cruise ... those are the ones that are going to be mad if for some reason it can't go. I really hope the needed repairs can be made in port so that everything is fine by next week. Just imagine how disappointing it would be to find out a few days ahead of time that the cruise you've been planning for the past year has just been cancelled? I shudder to even think ... :(

Blue skies ...

--rita

John & I agree w/others that if a port is missed - no big deal, an extra sea day is lovely.

Because passengers do not always book their shore excursions through HAL and often times have to pre-pay for them before embarking, does HAL offer any compensation to passengers if a tour is missed for reasons like this? I understand the $150 shipboard credit and 25% off, but that should be to compensate for the change of itinerary. Are passengers just out of luck in cases like this?

Because passengers do not always book their shore excursions through HAL and often times have to pre-pay for them before embarking, does HAL offer any compensation to passengers if a tour is missed for reasons like this? I understand the $150 shipboard credit and 25% off, but that should be to compensate for the change of itinerary. Are passengers just out of luck in cases like this?

When booking independent tours, that is a risk you take.

HAL has no responsibility IMO in that situation. I feel sorry for people who will lose their tour money but they knew it was a risk when they booked them.

If a person does not want to take that risk, they can opt for HAL's tours.

Archived