First Timer.....need advice

My son who is a senior in HS this year, has asked to go on a cruise over Spring break. None of us have been before. My husband isn't too thrilled about a cruise but will go. Being my other son who is 2 years older, will not be able to go with, I worry that my 17 year old will be bored. Should I go ahead and book the cruise anyway? Or, my other thought was maybe to wait for summer and go on an Alaskan cruise. Which do you think would be better for a teen? I'm thinking a 3 or 4 nighter.

Also, if I do decide to book one for March, do I need to do it soon? Or am I already too late? I see people with cruises booked for 2008 already!:eek:

Caribbean, for a teen!!! Definitely!!! He won't be bored, unless he's unwilling to talk to the other teens he'll meet onboard!

If you were a 17 year old boy, which would you prefer--girls in bikinis, lying around the pool, or an older crowd oohing and ahhing over glaciers....

If you're thinking of March--do it now. Could he bring a friend? That might be more fun for him! (and you!)

Having done both my teens (17 & 18- girls) said they prefered Alaska...they have seen blue water many times and enjoyed seeing the different awsome sites in Alaska...There is not a lack of things to do on either cruise...the teen club was in full swing on the Alaska cruise..it was not an older crowd, really it was alot of families...and quite a few teens.

Check out my pictures on the link in my sig... Which ever you choose you will all have a great time...even hubby ;) ...theres just something about being on the water that is magical....and if 17yo is busy in the teen hangout (like my teens were) you will hardly see him...and you and hubby might enjoy a stoll under the stars on the top deck...there are so many stars...it is so...uh...romantic;)

My son who is a senior in HS this year, has asked to go on a cruise over Spring break. None of us have been before. My husband isn't too thrilled about a cruise but will go. Being my other son who is 2 years older, will not be able to go with, I worry that my 17 year old will be bored. Should I go ahead and book the cruise anyway? Or, my other thought was maybe to wait for summer and go on an Alaskan cruise. Which do you think would be better for a teen? I'm thinking a 3 or 4 nighter.

Also, if I do decide to book one for March, do I need to do it soon? Or am I already too late? I see people with cruises booked for 2008 already!:eek:

A 17yo on Spring Break will NOT be bored as long as he is one who will talk to other teens. My advise would be to book it....ASAP... ...honestly I think the caribbean would be the best choice...he will have a great time and a wonderful memory!!

for a first cruise for all of you I would definitely pick the Caribbean. I think when most people think of a cruise they picture white sand, hot sun and a cool breeze, the only thing you will end up with in Alaska is the cool breeze.

Definitely book ASAP to get the best choice of rooms!

He will not be bored, the fun is infectious! And fair warning cruising is addicting!

Sue

thanks everyone. I guess I've been dragging my feet because of all of the unknowns.

I really want to go on this cruise, I just am worried about everyone else enjoying it. I love the water. I'm happy just cruising around on our little lake.

My two choices for March are on the Enchantment for 4 nights or the Sovereign for 3. Any one of those better than the other?

CruisinKits, You could if you have not all ready go to Royal Caribbean web site, WWW.royalcaribbean.com, click on find a cruise, click on ships, scroll down until you find Enchantment, and Sovereign of The seas click on them, then read info. about the ship, click on deck plans then you can also click on one of the staterooms and take a virtual tour of it. You can go to the window and click on the ship, port of departure, date and destination submit, when you find what you want you can start the reservation process by clicking on reserve now, do not worry you can get out of it without paying for it, at this time you are just checking for prices of the cabins. When done hit you back arrow and it will take you out of that window, I do this all the time to find out exact prices, by the way it will probably be cheaper for you to have RCCL make plane res. for you, also the 3rd person goes for $399.00 Lengthy but hope it helps, sometimes I do not know where to put the period.

KEEP GETTING OUT THERE!!! Ozzie63

I would go with the 4 night Enchantment. The rooms will be bigger, and there are more activities available on the ship (not that the Sovereign's not a great ship). Plus you get one more day onboard the ship.

If you are wanting to go in March, Alaska isn't an option anyway, cruises don't start going to Alaska til sometime in May I believe. A short Caribbean cruise would be a great vacation for a teen, my 16 y/o had a blast on ours even though there were virtually no teens on board that week.

cb at sea definitely has the right idea to keep your son happy!!!!! (ie girls in bikinis :D ) . I think this would be a much better cruise than Alaska. After you book your cruise, assuming you book directly through RC, keep an eye on the price...if it goes down RC will lower your price also (but you MUST call them). I'm not sure if using a travel agent will get you the price reduction or not.

My 17 yr old step-daughter went to the teen club the 1st night and we hardly saw her after that! She met lots of nice people and had a wonderful time. They exchanged emails and still keep in touch.

Your husband may be ho-hum about it now, but i betcha he gets hooked like all the rest of us :p .

thanks everyone! So it sounds like booking thru RC is the way to go? Because I was gonna go through a travel agent.

The benefit of going directly through RCCL is that you have total control over your reservation. If you book through a TA, RCCL will not talk to you, if you have a question or want to change anything. If the price drops (you need to check often) you can call and get the reduction. If the price drops and your TA is unavailable because the office is closed or whatever, you are out of luck until they return and many times the price reduction is time sensitive and you might miss it.

I have been on both the Enchantment and the Sovereign. My choice is the Enchantment. We loved that ship. We are booked on her again in March and in May. If you want to go on a longer cruise you could go on the Liberty or the Freedom. I leave in a little over 20 days on my Freedom cruise.

We are booked on the Rhapsody of the Seas March 18 with my family. This will be our 3rd Spring Break cruise. Starting with our first cruise, the kids have asked to go on a cruise for their Senior Trip. We think it is great. We only have two rules. We all eat dinner together in the evenings & they can not get off the ship without an adult. Since we went on our first cruise with another family in 2003, it has grown in size. Next March we have close to 20 people going, with most of the families having a Senior child.

If you can do it, I think a 7-night cruise at the time you want to go would have a larger number of teens than one of the week-end cruises which sometimes are more of a party atmosphere with lots of 20 and 30 somethings. This is not always the case,but the likelihood of families is moreso on a 7-night cruise. Have a great time whatever you choose!

With the OP's location being Minnesota, cost of airfare could become the significant factor. I too, would echo the thoughts of others and opt for the seven day cruise.

When we first went on a cruise 20 years ago, I was somewhat apprehensive as I become seasick very easily. I have never gotten sick on a cruise ship and have now become addicted, I am on this board every day and counting the days until our January cruise on the Rhapsody of the Seas from Galveston.

A few years ago, we were on the first "Hogs on the High Seas" cruise. We are not bikers and just happened to book our cruise for the week that that group was on. Anyway, while waiting in the terminal for the boarding call, I was talking to some of the male bikers and they were complaining about their wives dragging them on "this dumb cruise". A couple of days later, I ran into the same guys, now they were saying that "it was the greatest vacation they had ever taken".

Hypo

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

We were on the Disney Magic for a 7 night cruise a few years back for our first cruise, when daughter was 1 and son was 7. ! year olds really can't have an opinion, but 8 year old loved it. Hubby was less impressed - his thought - too Mickey. But then again, I can only get him to "DO Disney" once every 6ish years. I loved it.

It took me a couple years to get hubby back on a cruise. We did the Sovereign last New Years for a 4 night and all of us LOVED it. We did Nassau and Coco Cay and they were both a blast. Plus we had a sea day. This time daughter was 5 and son was 12. Both loved their "clubs". She went every evening after dinner and spent the day time with us. Son ditched us after breakfast for his club buddies and activities and getting him to check in after each activity was like pulling teeth. He even skipped dessert the last night to head for the club and a poker game. And hubby like is so well, we booked the Enchantment for this New Years on a 6 night.

I've done a lot of research adn have decided that moving up a class of ship each time, will keep it fresh and also keep the kids from being spoiled fro a big ship and not wanting the old, smaller ships after beign on the largest ones. That's my logic.

The Enchantment looks really nice, and should be in good shape after just being re-furbed.

And I would go for the longest you can get on the Enchantment and make the most of your port days and sea days to keep everyone having fun.

I also did Alaska on the Vision this past June with my sisters. An adult trip. It was a great cruise and expereince, but I know my 6 year old daughter would not have been very excited about our adult excursions. She's not the type to look at whales for 3 hours in two ports (humpbacks and orca were both pletiful) or trek through the rainforest in hopes of seeing a grizzly (we saw 3). Not even sure my 13 year old son would have kept interested on the train ride into the Yukon. So, I vote for the Caribbean with kids.

• 3 weeks later...

My parents discovered cruising when I was around 10, and took us on 5 cruises between that time any my late teen years. My brother is 3 yrs younger than me so we never hung out, I always met a lot of other teens on board and hung out with them the whole time. I have a lot of fun memories from our cruises, I'm sure your son will have a blast. Especially spring break time, there are a lot of families.

DH and I are actually going on the Enchanment with my parents and DB & his wife in a few weeks. It will be the first time I've been on a vacation with my parents and DB in probably 12 years, and the first time all of us including spouses have ever vacationed together. Should be fun! :)

I am going with my 18yo son for spring break. It is the boys week away. I am not worried at all about him being bored. Biggest concern is will I ever see him because I am sure that the ship will be full of other high schoolers on spring break.

Archived