Freedom dining room?

Ripley

A coworker who is a devoted RCI cruiser recently returned from a cruise to the Western Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas and was very disappointed. He reported that the formal dining room was packed very tightly. He reported problems with the wine program service, delays boarding, etc. He felt the new features were outweighed by the drawbacks of this ship and that RCI did not plan adequately for the increase in the number of passengers. Any reactions? Similar perceptions, or pleased with the ship?

We were at a table for six that was in its own "scallop" on the balcony overhanging the two lower levels. It wasn't crowded at all where we were....except when the staff put on one of their little shows, and people would rush the balcony to watch. Am I the only one who finds this behavior extremely rude? :)

I found the wine and bar service to be fine in the DR. It's a great ship, and they have planned it beautifully, IMO. In fact, I liked it so much, I am going back!

T

A coworker who is a devoted RCI cruiser recently returned from a cruise to the Western Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas and was very disappointed. He reported that the formal dining room was packed very tightly. He reported problems with the wine program service, delays boarding, etc. He felt the new features were outweighed by the drawbacks of this ship and that RCI did not plan adequately for the increase in the number of passengers. Any reactions? Similar perceptions, or pleased with the ship?

DIdn't find the dining room packed, but did find that the service was not a good as on previous sailings, it was very slow and impersonable, the crumbs were not removed from the table between courses, shellfish were not de shelled by the waiter, and the waiter made no recommendations as to what was good that night, not enough to make me stay away from Freedom, but I was under the impression that RCI took the best of the best from other ships for the Freedom, guess this is not the case

Ripley,

I just returned from FOS on Sunday, and it all went pretty well. The only days the ship was packed was after the shows. Everybody wanted to take an elevator that took forever to come for you. We used a lot of stairs to avoid traffic. Couple of my friends had ordered wine service, and before they even got to their dinner, the wine was waiting for them. The DR was full, but you had enough space to move around. Our table was next to a staircase, so we had a best seat in the house for shows.

Tracy, I loved 1706 even if I had to walk the whole ship to get to it. The balcony was very quiet, huge and private. I saw your DR table, that was an awesome location. I had a hard time leaving the ship. The only bad thing that we have experienced is that our "lovely" stateroom attendant took some money out of my husbands wallet. We're not sure who did it, either Enrique or his assistant. Oh, well. I was also thinking of going on Liberty because couple of good people are moving to it in April.

Uksimonusa, I guess it all depends on what kind of waiter you have. Our assistant waiter even cut my husbands salad, and Maitre D' removed the lobster tail. Charlie made each night recommendations for a good meal, and I was not dissapointed at all. I had at least 2 appetizers each night, and 2 deserts, depending what was on a menu that night. They even knew what my husband drinked, and the glass was waiting for him each night. I felt the service was very personable comparing to a Carnival.

The dining room didn't seem crowded at all. If you've been on other Voyager ships, it's no different. The decor seems a little gaudy, but the chandalier makes up for it.

I ordered wine twice. Both times, the wine was being poured before any appetizers arrived.

As on any cruise, I guess it depends on your server and assistant.

By the way, I'm a little over the whole singing and dancing waiters too. I think they did this three times during the week.

DIdn't find the dining room packed, but did find that the service was not a good as on previous sailings, it was very slow and impersonable, the crumbs were not removed from the table between courses, shellfish were not de shelled by the waiter, and the waiter made no recommendations as to what was good that night, not enough to make me stay away from Freedom, but I was under the impression that RCI took the best of the best from other ships for the Freedom, guess this is not the case

I guess we will get to see for ourselves in just a few days, but when we were on a 2 night pre-inaugural cruise on the Freedom a few months ago, we ate dinner on decks 3 and 5 and were very favorably impressed with the space between the tables. Even our waiter commented that he found it much easier to move around and serve everyone at his table without crowding between the chairs of one table and the next. Unless they have added tables and seats since, the overall impression should not be one of being crowded or cramped. Service is always an individual thing and it depends very much on the luck of the draw. Fortunately, our experience has, far more often than not, been quite satisfactory.

I guess we will get to see for ourselves in just a few days, but when we were on a 2 night pre-inaugural cruise on the Freedom a few months ago, we ate dinner on decks 3 and 5 and were very favorably impressed with the space between the tables. Even our waiter commented that he found it much easier to move around and serve everyone at his table without crowding between the chairs of one table and the next. Unless they have added tables and seats since, the overall impression should not be one of being crowded or cramped. Service is always an individual thing and it depends very much on the luck of the draw. Fortunately, our experience has, far more often than not, been quite satisfactory.

Bill ~ I noticed on the June 4 sailing that our table location was not crowded either..we had table for 14 #314 right below the staircase and close to the Captain's table.. I do notice though on recent photos taken by cruisers that they have squeezed two smaller tables next to where we were. Remember the first few sailings were not at capacity. Will let you know as well in a couple of days..see ya soon

You make interesting points. Has anyone compared the number of crew on Freedom vs a Voyager class ship, especially in dining staff? We had great service, including all the things you mentioned on our Voyager trip.

Ripley - I just got off Freedom a week and a half ago. Did NOT notice overcrowding in the dining room AT ALL. The only crowds I noticed, like previously mentioned, was when the shows let out, and that is to be expected. Service in the dining room was impeccable, and the food was outrageously good. It was one of our best cruises ever! The Freedom is awesome!!!!

Sas21,

I talked to many crew people and according to them once their contract ends RCCL gives them an option on which ship they would like to go next. I know Roderick, from Jamaica, Pool Bar Tender (great friend) is going on Liberty in April, Steve, stateroom attendant on aft deck 10 he is staying on Freedom (inside and D1's) its hard to remember all. Most of them, their contract ends on Dec10th? I hope this helps.

Emmy, our table was #310, probably next to you. Who were your servers? We had Charlie and Mihaela. Those tables were at a wonderful location, especially for Surf/Turf show and intro of Chefs, Cooks,etc.

Just got off Freedom on Sunday and didn't notice it on my end either. We were at a table for 12 and it was perfect. Never noticed any overcrowding and it was a pleasant dinner every night. Excellent service as well.

We also just got off the Freedom (Hi Tim!). I thought the dining room was spread out nicely, and actually seemed roomier than previous ships I've been on. We were on the balcony on the third floor, so had a pretty good view. The only problem we had were, as mentioned by someone earlier, people crowding around our table to get to the balcony to see the shows. We were still eating, and our chairs were getting shoved as this crowd of people overtook us! I was pleasantly suprised at the royal promenade during the parades. I thought it would be packed. It was crowded, but not enough that you couldn't see or had trouble moving around.

the crumbs were not removed from the table between courses, shellfish were not de shelled by the waiter, and the waiter made no recommendations as to what was good that night

My waiter did all these things for our table of 9. Did not find the ship too crowded, not in the dining room nor anywhere else. Maybe the elevators at peak times, but taking the stairs was just as easy. This was my first RCI cruise and I loved it!

Just got off Freedom on Sunday and didn't notice it on my end either. We were at a table for 12 and it was perfect. Never noticed any overcrowding and it was a pleasant dinner every night. Excellent service as well.

FITZ!!!! You're back!!!!!! I've been seeing people from your sailing post, but not you....figured you had become a Freedom stow-away! :p

So do tell all about it!!! (although maybe we shouldn't hijack this particular thread)

T

Archived