Ship to hotel in Venice???

We are planning to stay on in Venice after our cruise, but not on a ship's package. Having been there before, with very little luggage, I cannot imagine how to get from the ship to our hotel with multiple suitcases! How do you get from the ship, to the water taxi to the hotel? HELP!

Fran

We went TO the ship by water taxi and it dropped us off right at the front or back, wherever the ship crew has set up the luggage transfer for them. Not sure how many water taxis will be waiting when the ship docks. Might need to arrange ahead. Our hotel (Danieli) had a little dock at a side entrance so we could get off. Check and see if your hotel does. If not, I understand there are porters you can hire with carts for luggage that will get you to the hotel. Don't know where to find them but someone else or Google might know.

Here is what I have posted previously on this subject. Maybe it will help you.

Here's what we did when we were on the Golden last year. We were going to stay an extra 3 days in Venice after the cruise but we purchased the ship to airport transfer and had them get our bigger pieces of luggage and us to the airport. Then we went to the held luggage office at the airport, it is on the lower level all the way to one end, and stored our bigger pieces of luggage there. It costs 2 or 3 euros a piece a day but was a secure place and you could lock the luggage. Then we took the airport waterbus service back to Venice with our carry-on luggage where we had repacked what we needed for the 3 day stay. When our time was up in Venice we again took the special airport waterbus to the airport and picked up our stored luggage and did a little repacking on a bench near the held luggage office before we took it upstairs to turn it over to the airline for the flight home. If you elect to go this route be sure to save some 1 and 2 euro coins to use to rent a cart to haul your luggage around the airport.

It avoided the extra expenses of getting all our luggage to the hotel, probably a water-taxi (60 to 80 euros). It also avoided trying to get large luggage over the bridges in Venice which are mostly steps (no ramps) so wheels on the luggage only helps between the bridges and there are a lot of bridges in Venice.

If cost is no object and your hotel has a water taxi access, which a lot of the more expensive hotels in Venice have, you can have the hotel arrange a water taxi to meet you at the port and transport all your luggage to the hotel and then when you are ready to leave you can have them have another water taxi pick you up and take you to the airport.

Have a GREAT next cruise.

HAL Noordam 3/97 West Carib

Hal Westerdam 12/97 East Carib

HAL Veendam 11/98 East Carib

Hal Zaandam 12/00 South Carib

HAL Veendam 10/01 Panama Canal

RCCL Enchantment 09/02 W.Carib

Costa Atlantica 12/02 E.Carib

HAL Noordam 03/03 S.Carib

Golden Princess 07/03 Med

Celebrity Zenith 12/03 W.Carib

HAL Maasdam 05/04 Canada

Wineasmusic,

Would you remember what you would have paid for the water taxi from the pier to the Danieli. It would give us a good idea of what we will be paying as we are staying a little further along.

Jennie

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

From cruise port to Gritti Palace which is about 2 "Venice blocks ;-) that's a couple bridges) before Danieli it was 55EU if hiring a water taxi ( so Danieli I would assume would be a bit more). Better to take the water bus from cruise port to Danielli which is right at the St. Marks Square exit off the water bus.

Water bus was 3.50 EU

Next stop:

Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

mermaidswim.gif

icon_treasurebox.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrkfrk:

We are planning to stay on in Venice after our cruise, but not on a ship's package. Having been there before, with very little luggage, I cannot imagine how to get from the ship to our hotel with multiple suitcases! How do you get from the ship, to the water taxi to the hotel? HELP!

Fran<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

How about telling us which hotel you need to get to, then perhaps someone can give you the correct info ;-)

Water taxis were waiting at the cruise port ( near the luggage pick up terminal or pretty close to it)..which is where there is a water bus stop to get to St. Marks and other stops.

Next stop:

Buenos Aires to Rio Oceania - "Insignia"

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2005;2;2;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0300

mermaidswim.gif

icon_treasurebox.gif

Part of the problem is that we don't know where we will be staying yet - the trip is in the early planning stages! All we know for sure, is that the cruise (Celebrity) ends in Venice, and we want to stay on in Venice for a day or two (we've been there before on a lenghthy land stay). We're looking for a convenient mid priced hotel - any suggestions? Given that we'll have all the luggage that goes with a two week cruise and we're not 18 any longer, the issue of getting to the hotel from the dock seems major!

All help is appreciated!

Fran

Fran,

We did Millennium last year at this time and are going to do it again in May 2005. We WALKED with all our luggage from the ship to our hotel in Dorsoduro- dumb but we made it and have a good chuckle with the memories of banging our luggage across many, many bridges. Loved the hotel we stayed at last time, Pensione Accademia, but this time think we will stay closer to the Piazzale Roma. Due to an early flight out had to do the watertaxi route to the airport from the P Accademia. The watertaxi was lovely and romantic but at 90 EU for a ride to the airport, would rather spend our euros elsewhere next time.

If anyone has suggestions for hotels in Santa Croce Ovest would greatly appreciate.

icon_smile.gif

Claudia F

Thanks for the info regarding the price of the water taxi to the Gritti Palace.

We have used the water taxis before and have no intention of using a water bus with all our luggage. We are not in our forties and we have Samonsite cases that are heavy to lift on board. The cost difference is not worth my husband coming home with a bad back after spending thousands of dollars on a wonderful trip. Besides we need to keep fit for a great week in Paris.

Jennie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Fran wrote:

Part of the problem is that we don't know where we will be staying yet - the trip is in the early planning stages!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First thing go to the following website:

Venere.Com

Here select Venice, the dates of your stay, persons, rooms required. The search engine will come up with a list of Hotels (various stars), B&Bs, Apartments, Town House Suites, Guest Houses and Inns. On each accommodation you’ll find a webpage, map and (hopefully) a review. At the bottom of each search page you’ll find a map of Venice and its subdivisions. You can select accommodation through the map as well.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>We're looking for a convenient mid priced hotel - any suggestions? Given that we'll have all the luggage that goes with a two week cruise and we're not 18 any longer, the issue of getting to the hotel from the dock seems major!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Usually the inexpensive accommodation is away from Saint Marks (San Marco). So you may be looking at accommodation in Santa Croce, Cannaregio, San Polo and even Dorsoduro. The distances to San Marks shouldn’t be a problem, in fact Venice is best seen (and discovered) by walking its many alleyways.

When in Venice you’ll have several options to get about from the Venezia Terminal Passegeri (cruise terminal).

Here is a useful map of the cruise terminal area.

It is possible that Celebrity may have a bus shuttle running from here to Piazzale Roma, which is a main square where all road vehicles stop. From here you could either walk, catch a waterbus or water taxi on the Grand Canal to your accommodation. The other option is to catch a water taxi or waterbus at the terminal.

For waterbus transport see the following: ACTV wesbiste. They have timetables, fares and a map with waterbus-stops.

Other useful information:

Alilaguna passenger boat service to/from: cruise terminal, airport, Saint Marks, etc.

ATVO – Bus service to/from Piazzale Roma and Marco Polo Airport

If you require a 3-day pass which will allow you waterbus transportation (the Alilaguna service if requested), free use of public toilets and entry to many sights in Venice, then the VeniceCard is recommended. It also gives you discounts at some restaurants and other privileges.

For museums and tickets visit the following website: Musei Civici Veneziani – Tickets. This website has the major museums, which number 11, such as: Doge’s Palace, Clock Tower, Ca’ Rezzonico, Glass Museum, etc. Most of these museums are covered by the VeniceCard, but check this website for other information.

For a complete list of museums go to: Comune Venezia civic website - Venetian museums (in Italian).

Anymore questions let us know.

Cheers

There is luggage storage service at the cruise terminal 107 operating 8am-6pm on cruise embarking/disembarking days. There is porter delivery service to the train station and to Venice hotels. Email for more information: PORTABAGAGLI DEL PORTO DI VENEZIA SCARL

Fax +39 041 5208005

e-mail: portabagagli@hotmail.com

Eastern Med/Greek Isles-Star Princess 9/25/04

Alaska-Sun Princess 8/4/03

Western Caribbean-Grand Princess 12/28/03

We found a great deal on a Venice hotel for our pre-cruise stay. We're staying at the Hotel Ala, which is a Best Western property. While their rates don't appear cheap on the surface (150E and up), if you use their booking engine, you find a special rate called the Europe Seniors rate (Or something like that). Looking at the details for that, you'll find that it applies to AARP members too, which we are. For a room that was quoted at 160E, the Senior rate was 106, I believe. The hotel is just a few blocks up the Grand Canal from San Marco, on a canal, but not on the Grand Canal. Maybe this info will help.

Mike and Mary

7/6 Flight to Venice -7/8 Millie Venice to Barcelona - Retirement Reward

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;7;6;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200

Nidwaldner,

Thanks for that information. I have sent an email to them to find out costs etc. Have you used them or do you know of anyone using them?

Jennie.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Aussie Gal:

Nidwaldner,

Thanks for that information. I have sent an email to them to find out costs etc. Have you used them or do you know of anyone using them?

Jennie.

http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Once you find out, can you post the details, we're in the same prediciment.

Thanks

Some Ship, Some Itinerary, Somewhere in the Med.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=008000&cdt=2006;5;12;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

Mexican Riviera - Rhapsody of the Seas

11 Day Circle the Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas

Alaska - Dawn Princess

Coastal - Island Princess

There is also another baggage handler in Venice called Cooperativa Trasbagagli which I noticed when I was there in 2002. They operate out of Piazzale Roma. They may be not as handy as the other service at the Venezia Terminal Passeggeri (cruise terminal) as suggested by Nidwaldner, but they should be considered as an option.

To get to them you take the free shuttle bus out of the cruise terminal to Piazzale Roma. See the following interactive map and click on SHUTTLES and PORTERS:

Piazzale Roma – Interactive Map

and a photo:

Nastro2.JPG

where you can see the shuttle buses in the background.

Cooperativa Trasbagagli will be able to transport baggage to and from Piazzale Roma, to your hotel, Santa Lucia train station and Marco Polo Airport (where they have a pickup area at Arrivals). Contact them for further information regarding their tariffs and times of delivery (they do bulk runs).

Cooperativa Trasbagagli arl S.Croce 296/A

Venezia

Tel.+39 041 713719

Fax +39 041 713864

e-mail: info@trasbagagli.it

Piazzale Roma (corner Cassa di Risparmio di Venezia) Tel. 0415223590

Piazzale Roma (baggage deposit) Tel. 0415231107

Santa Lucia train station (ponte degli Scalzi) Tel. 041715272

Marco Polo Airport (Baggage Deposit – Arrivals) Tel. 3299267336

Cheers

What is the Web site for the Hotel Ala, sound like it will fit into our planning also. Does it have A/C. We were on a Perillo tour in Italy 5 years ago and stayed at several hotel in Italyand several of them, including the one in Venice were not air condition and it was very hot that summmer.

-----------------------------7d44

Hotel Ala has AC, and has been refurbished in the last few years. I found it by going to the Best Western Hotels web site, and searching for Venice. It was the Best Western web site that provided the Senior rate. When I emailed the hotel directly, I got a much higher rate quoted.

http://www.bestwestern.com/

Put in Italy for the country and Venice for the city, then click search. It will provide the link to the Ala.

Mike and Mary

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800000&cdt=2004;7;6;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0200

WHEW! (Literally).

http://www.hotelala.it/home_eng.htm

Air conditioned. A Google for Hotel Ala Venice Italy returns bunches of links, almost all of which paint it as a lovely hotel with one of the best breakfasts in Italy. With the AARP rate through the Best Western web site, it was a steal for us.

Mike and Mary

Mike and Mary,

I have just looked at the rates for Hotel Ala and they are very reasonable for seniors. Would you mind giving us a report when you return from your trip. We are not going until October so we have plenty of time to make up our minds.

We are booked into the Metropole at the moment, but if the Hotel Ala is comfortable, we may change to save some dollars, as our dollar is not up to yours against the Euro.

Jennie

Now THAT'S refreshing! Someone thinking out dollar is good against the Euro. Guess it's all relative, huh?

Mary's made a solemn vow to keep a journal for the trip, and I'll use that for a trip report when we get back. I was very surprised when I saw the great senior rate. Since it was such a nice discount, and we're only staying one night, I opted for the Deluxe double (Shh.....secret from Mary). Their checkout time of noon works well for us too, as we can pop over to catch the Millie shuttle, and get on board a bit early, have lunch, and then off for more touring!

Mike and Mary

Mike and Mary,

The quote I received for Hotel Ala wasn't nearly as good as yours. The cheapest for October was 190Euros and for a deluxe canal view it was 250Euros.

As you say it is all relative with the exchange rates. Our dollar at the moment is only getting 0.57 for each Euro, so you can imagine what our trips cost.

Cruise Junky,

I sent an email to the Porterage company in Venice a few days ago and as yet I haven't had a reply. I have resent the email today.

Jennie

Booked the Ala, with a Senior rate of 105euros or 127.us dollars for a room without a canal view for the end of Aug- and a weekend no less.(we figure we are never going to be in the room accept for sleeping) When looking at the site for Promo code(if over 55 I guess, but they did not say assuming because when I called they said aarp.,) and booked it. Try calling the 1800 phone number for best western that is what we did. Also, they offr us the Monetcarlo(in ST, Marks -not by a canao however-actly rated higher than Ala by expedia, and travelocity for 150. american

norm

Archived