Currency Conversion for On Board Expenses with a Non-U.S. Credit Card

Susan-M

I just noticed that in their travel docs, Celebrity has re-worded the option re currency conversion for non-U.S. Credit Cards, for on-board expenses.

Before, if you wanted to have your charges billed in U.S. $ (and not converted to the currency of your card), you had to check the box.

Now it reads, "If you qualify for your charges to be converted to the currency of your card's billing as described and would like to pay in your home currency, please check here ___."

There is a lot of other 'fine print' but I think the best choice would be not to check the box and have your on-board expenses billed in U.S. $.

Susan, is this statement in the physical Ticket or are you referring to the Xpress Pass? I did notice in the Spring that the two had different phrasing. We are due to embark on Zenith in ten days and booked too late for a physical ticket. If it's the Xpress Pass, I'd better re-read it.

Thanks

Terry

Susan, is this statement in the physical Ticket or are you referring to the Xpress Pass? Thanks

Terry

Hi Terry - it's in the paper docs that arrive in the mail. I was unable to do (or see) the Xpress Pass on-line for our Galapagos trip, so the wording may be different on it. I know that last Sept. for our Med cruise, the wording on both the Xpress Pass and paper docs was the one where you had to check the box if you wanted your charges billed in U.S. currency.

Hi Terry - it's in the paper docs that arrive in the mail. I was unable to do (or see) the Xpress Pass on-line for our Galapagos trip, so the wording may be different on it. I know that last Sept. for our Med cruise, the wording on both the Xpress Pass and paper docs was the one where you had to check the box if you wanted your charges billed in U.S. currency.

Susan, The xpress pass states "Check here if you do not wish Celebrity to convert yr charges to currency of yr card's billing", it's interesting that they differ. Does anyone have experience of whether Celebrity honour this request, apparently Princess quite often ignore it.

Celebrity often ignore it too. I even highlighted the choice and wrote on the express pass, please do not convert my charges and they still went ahead and converted them. Customer relations are now dealing with the matter here in the UK, they refunded the difference last time I had this problem so I hope they will do the same on this occaision.

Lisa

Does anyone have experience of whether Celebrity honour this request, apparently Princess quite often ignore it.

They've honoured it for us so far, but after hearing of others whose requests have been ignored, I think I will take a photo copy of my form, and ask the check-in person to sign my copy, in case I need proof to resolve any problems following the cruise.

It wouldn't be such an issue if they would use a reasonable conversion rate, but they use their own exchange rate, plus "a 3% service charge over the wholesale bank rate provided by Citibank." In the past, I've seen an exchange rate posted of 10% or more above what it should be:(

The wording on the paper package and the Xpress Ticket are different.

the way I read the tickets - you don't check the box on the paper one OR you DO check the box on the Xpress ticket

That's my interpretation too.

We just got off RCL (same parent company) and my partner had his fees converted while I did not. Since most banks charge a 2-3% fee for converting the charges, I was curious to see the difference. RCL charged about a half to a full percent more for converting than did American Express, which I used. givent hat it's increasingly hard to find a credit card in Canada that won't charge the conversion fee, it doesn't seem much worth worrying about to me, since it's only a percent, at most, difference.

We just got off RCL (same parent company) and my partner had his fees converted while I did not. Since most banks charge a 2-3% fee for converting the charges, I was curious to see the difference. RCL charged about a half to a full percent more for converting than did American Express, which I used. givent hat it's increasingly hard to find a credit card in Canada that won't charge the conversion fee, it doesn't seem much worth worrying about to me, since it's only a percent, at most, difference.

My credit card company do not charge any fee on foreign currency, just looking at my Oct statement which has US dollar charges during September and the rate is up to 1.89/£, which is pretty good. So I certainly try to ensure that all my overseas charges in foreign currency.

They've honoured it for us so far, but after hearing of others whose requests have been ignored, I think I will take a photo copy of my form, and ask the check-in person to sign my copy, in case I need proof to resolve any problems following the cruise.

It wouldn't be such an issue if they would use a reasonable conversion rate, but they use their own exchange rate, plus "a 3% service charge over the wholesale bank rate provided by Citibank." In the past, I've seen an exchange rate posted of 10% or more above what it should be:(

Susan

I wouldn't go to all that bother for the Xpedition. Our entire onboard account balance in June was $18.00 for a couple of t-shirts and one use of the laundry. There is nothing else to spend money on onboard.

For what it's worth for those of us in Canada, most of the banks offer a US Dollar denominated credit card with no, or nominal, fees. We have carried one for a number of years for travelling and have never had a conversion problem with it.

Susan

I wouldn't go to all that bother for the Xpedition.

For what it's worth for those of us in Canada, most of the banks offer a US Dollar denominated credit card with no, or nominal, fees.

Roland - I agree that it's not an issue for our upcoming cruise.

Re U.S. credit cards .... we have one, but we do not have a U.S. bank account because of the monthly fees v.s. no fees on our Canadian bank account. Therefore, paying for purchases on the U.S. card is a complicated process, so we rarely use the U.S. card. In the long run we save a lot more by using our Cdn card for U.S. purchases and paying the conversion fee, than keeping a U.S. account. I should probably look at other banks to see if there is a better arrangement, but our U.S. $ spending is not that high.

Susan

It does make it easier with a US account. We deal with the "Green" (don't want to mention any names here) bank and their US account fees are not unreasonable and they don't charge at all if you maintain a minimum balance. Having said that, we do have other dealings in US$ which is why we maintain the account. It probably doesn't work that well for infrequent usage.

Just a thought about your flights. Try and make sure you get your seat assignments in advance with AA. Seat assignments on flights to S. America can get tricky if you don't. We very nearly got bumped a couple of years ago on a flight to Buenos Aires because we were not pre-assigned. I think the only reason we made the flight is that I made an unmitigated pest of myself at the desk at the gate. I think they finally gave us seats to shut me up. Better that than missing our cruise connection! When we went in June there seemed to be an awful lot of people on "Standby" for the Quito flight.

Hi Roland, just checked my e-docs and see that seat assignments are shown .... but thanks for the 'heads-up'.

One of the banks we deal with is also TDCT - when they merged, I had a CT Mastercard (Cdn $) that included great travel insurance (medical and trip interruption). The coverage carried forward to the new card that they issued (Citibank) at the time of the merger .... so I book all of my trips on this card due to travel insurance. It's the reason why I spend so little on our U.S. card (because most of our U.S. expenditures are travel related.)

You have to be firm with them if you want Celebrity (or RCI) to NOT do the conversion for you. I know in 2005 they converted my bill to Canadian dollars even after I had notified them I wanted the bill in U.S. dollars. It's a small amount these days but the difference was pretty significant a few years ago.

The credit card exchange rate is better, if only slightly in some cases.

You have to be firm with them if you want Celebrity (or RCI) to NOT do the conversion for you. I know in 2005 they converted my bill to Canadian dollars even after I had notified them I wanted the bill in U.S. dollars. It's a small amount these days but the difference was pretty significant a few years ago.

The credit card exchange rate is better, if only slightly in some cases.

I totally agree with you. You must be firm. I also had my bill converted to CAD. I highlight the item and had my copy signed. It was still ignored. What I did on my last cruise was go to the bank on board twice to confirm my wishes. This worked!

Archived