Just heard on CNN Hawai'i had an earthquake - how will it affect cruises?

Kay240

From what I've been hearing the earthquake was "inland" not near the coast and it happened around 7:30 AM. So the likely hood that any of our cruisers were hurt or involved in it is very slim....which is good. I guess not being able to get off the ship is a real bummer :( since itinerary is the main focus on Hawaiian cruises, but at least they are most likely safe.

From what I've been hearing the earthquake was "inland" not near the coast and it happened around 7:30 AM. So the likely hood that any of our cruisers were hurt or involved in it is very slim....which is good. I guess not being able to get off the ship is a real bummer :( since itinerary is the main focus on Hawaiian cruises, but at least they are most likely safe.

The earthquake happened 10 miles to the northwest of Kona - out in the ocean.

How it might be affecting cruisers is that the Honolulu airport does not have power and is basically closed. I think I saw on another thread where one of the Pride ships disembarked to today and another disembarks tomorrow. What that means is that cruisers getting off the ship can't get home at this time, and cruisers not already in Hawaii can't get to the ship.

We are going on the POH tomorrow. We flew in friday. It is now about 11:30 am and we have no power in Oahu. We felt the quake here, and it rattled the windows. THe latest we heard is flights are coming in (some, but none are going out because the airport does not have enough reserve power to do the screening.

We leave Friday morning...one night overnight and then we're supposed to be cruising the Islands....I'm hoping that by then we'll be okay and everything will be up and running... news has been "sparse" today...it's Sunday and football takes over! Here's hoping everything on the Islands is okay and will be back to "normal" (whatever that is) soon.

The earthquake happened 10 miles to the northwest of Kona - out in the ocean.

Wow! Just goes to show you that you can't always believe news reports. I was watching Fox News and heard that the quake and damage from it was inland. Why do I bother...:rolleyes:

Thanks for claifying....although perhaps I should ask what news station you heard yours news on. ;)

We leave Friday morning...one night overnight and then we're supposed to be cruising the Islands....I'm hoping that by then we'll be okay and everything will be up and running... news has been "sparse" today...it's Sunday and football takes over! Here's hoping everything on the Islands is okay and will be back to "normal" (whatever that is) soon.

My goodness....you've been on sooooooooo many cruises.:eek: 6 in one year.:eek: I'm jealous! Although I'm not sure I could handle all that packing!;)

You must have a ton of nice memories to look back on.:)

From NCL.com

Miami - October 15, 2006 --- Norwegian Cruise Line is closely monitoring the situation after the earthquake in Hawaii. Norwegian Wind, Pride of America, Pride of Aloha and Pride of Hawaii are all safe and secure. The company is aware of some flight cancellations and delays so we ask that guests check with their airline before travelling.

As of now, NCL has not altered any itineraries. Please check ncl.com periodically for updates.

FYI--My sister and cousins left this morning out of Philly to board the Pride of Aloha later today. Their air was arranged through NCL. There was a connection in Chicago, they left Chicago for Hawaii, then the flight turned back to Chicago for earthquake reasons. She is stranded in Chicago w/over 100 NCL passengers. They have been calling NCL all day from the Chicago airport and they have been told the ship is leaving and there is nothing NCL can do for them because there are no "higher ups" around on Sunday so tuff luck. People are crying, there are two couples who were supposed to be married, people to join their/parents/grandparents/children/grandchildren, very very sad. These people don't know whether to go home or wait in Chicago, fly to the next port which won't be for a couple of days, etc. It's unforgivable that NCL has totally dropped the ball on giving it's own passengers info.

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

CCL Fantasy 1/2000

CCL Sensation 2/2001

CCL Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

CCL Sensation 2/2004

CCL Imagination 2/2006

CCL Liberty Thanksgiving/2006

FYI--My sister and cousins left this morning out of Philly to board the Pride of Aloha later today. Their air was arranged through NCL. There was a connection in Chicago, they left Chicago for Hawaii, then the flight turned back to Chicago for earthquake reasons. She is stranded in Chicago w/over 100 NCL passengers. They have been calling NCL all day from the Chicago airport and they have been told the ship is leaving and there is nothing NCL can do for them because there are no "higher ups" around on Sunday so tuff luck. People are crying, there are two couples who were supposed to be married, people to join their/parents/grandparents/children/grandchildren, very very sad. These people don't know whether to go home or wait in Chicago, fly to the next port which won't be for a couple of days, etc. It's unforgivable that NCL has totally dropped the ball on giving it's own passengers info.

FrannyK

I am sure they did not say tuff luck :rolleyes: You have a disaster at the other end. The plane they were on was the same one that should be bringing passengers home today. The airport is all but closed for outbound flights. If there was another flight I am sure they would have re-booked them.

I feel terrible for those stuck in Chicago. But I don't believe there is a current solution to their situation. Mother Nature can be a problem and mess up the best plans.

Those that flew in a day early are on the island waiting to board if they let the passengers off the ship. Last I heard they holding all passengers on the ship so no way it is leaving on-time. If they have insurance it will cover the cost to stay in Chicago and reimburse them for any lost portion of the cruise.

Not even the big wigs can stop an earthquake, open the airport, or make planes fly. All the big wigs can do is decide what if any compensation for those that had a vacation ruined by an "Act of God".

I am more worried about the people on the Big Island then those stuck in Chicago, sorry

well said, shoreguy.

i was just wondering what they would have done if they had gotten there. they can't get on the ship, it's full and they aren't letting anyone off. IF they could get out of the airport to even get to the ship. traffic lights are out, taxi/van/shuttles are being told to not drive. tourist are out standing in line at the ABC stores trying to get food and water. as i remember the Chicago airport has food/water and working toilets?

sorry, but i think the airline was right to turn around.

I am sure they did not say tuff luck :rolleyes: You have a disaster at the other end. The plane they were on was the same one that should be bringing passengers home today. The airport is all but closed for outbound flights. If there was another flight I am sure they would have re-booked them.

I feel terrible for those stuck in Chicago. But I don't believe there is a current solution to their situation. Mother Nature can be a problem and mess up the best plans.

Those that flew in a day early are on the island waiting to board if they let the passengers off the ship. Last I heard they holding all passengers on the ship so no way it is leaving on-time. If they have insurance it will cover the cost to stay in Chicago and reimburse them for any lost portion of the cruise.

Not even the big wigs can stop an earthquake, open the airport, or make planes fly. All the big wigs can do is decide what if any compensation for those that had a vacation ruined by an "Act of God".

I am more worried about the people on the Big Island then those stuck in Chicago, sorry

Jim your "LOGICAL" approach to a situation is Spock like.:rolleyes:

The reality of it also is that if NCL service reps are "fully" aware of the situation in order to be sympathetic to the clients' feelings that also makes alot of the difference. How things are explained to worried clients does differentiate between "we care and we let you know about it" and "I don"t know Ma'm we just know you can't fly to Hawaii".

Quality of service representatives makes ALL the difference.

I am sorry to hear about the earthquake and hope no one was harmed. I haven't heard the actual details, just the headlines pretty much.

Life can be and often is unpredictable. If you are cruising and haven't done so, this is more reason to purchase travel insurance. IMHO

this from abcnews.com:

Resorts in Kona were being asked to keep people close to hotels, Big Island Mayor Harry Kim told television station KITV. Cruise ships were asked to keep tourists on board, and ships that were due to dock with tourists were asked to move on to their next location, he said.

In Waikiki, one of the state's primary tourism areas, worried visitors began lining up outside convenience stores to purchase food, water and other supplies. Managers were letting tourists into the darkened stores one at a time.

Karie and Bryan Croes waited an hour to buy bottles of water, chips and bread.

"It's quite a honeymoon story," said Karie as she and her husband sat in lounge chairs surrounded by their grocery bags beside a pool at ResortQuest Waikiki Beach Hotel.We are dealing with a lot of scared people," he said.

I hope this get everything up and running quickly. I love that place...

The reality of it also is that if NCL service reps are "fully" aware of the situation in order to be sympathetic to the clients' feelings that also makes alot of the difference. How things are explained to worried clients does differentiate between "we care and we let you know about it" and "I don"t know Ma'm we just know you can't fly to Hawaii".

Quality of service representatives makes ALL the difference.

We are home with full access to TV and the internet and don't fully understand the situation. I imagine it is tough to take calls in a center cut off for 8 hours while people call and demand answers to questions that there are no answers. Not saying they should not be understanding but I am sure the stress levels of the callers facing a vacation of a lifetime ruined could make that difficult. Not a good day for a lot of people.

We are watching the coverage now (9pm Chicago time) on Fox. We are on POH 1/1/07. How often do earthquakes happen in the Hawaiian Islands? I'm just worried about snow flying out of Chicago on NYE. We planned to go a day early....

I feel bad for those ppl stuck in Chicago, I'd rather be stuck in Hawaii, even w/ out food, water, and bathrooms. I also feel bad for the ppl who were getting married, but I feel more sorry for the ppl who suffer mother natures wrath. I'm sure the ppl who suffered during Katrina wish they were stuck in an airport. I guess it's the little mis-haps in life that make you appriciate what you have. To all you ppl involved I hope all works our for you and you get to enjoy your vacations.

Archived