Just heard on CNN Hawai'i had an earthquake - how will it affect cruises?

Kay240

We are watching the coverage now (9pm Chicago time) on Fox. We are on POH 1/1/07. How often do earthquakes happen in the Hawaiian Islands? I'm just worried about snow flying out of Chicago on NYE. We planned to go a day early....

I believe I read that the last quake in the islands was about 20 years ago.

clear.gif PAST EARTHQUAKES IN HAWAIIclear.gifA brief history of moderate or strong earthquakes that have struck in Hawaii, from the U.S. Geological Survey:

• 6.6 preliminary, Kailua Kona, Oct. 15, 2006. Caused power outages, landslides and some property damage, according to early reports.

• 5.2, Naalehu, July 17, 2005

• 5.3, Paauilo, July 15, 2005

• 6.1, off coast near Volcano, Jun. 25, 1989.

• 6.7, Kaoiki, Nov. 16, 1983

• 7.2, Kalapana, Nov. 29, 1975. Tsunami killed two people in Halape.

• 6.9, Kona, Aug. 21, 1951

• 6.8, Maui, Jan. 22, 1938

• 6.5, Holualoa, Oct. 6, 1929

• 6.8, Lanai, Feb. 19, 1871

• 7.9, Ka'u district, April 2, 1868. Hawaii's largest earthquake, caused 77 deaths and knocked down homes made of stone, wood or straw. Landslides buried homes, and a tsunami drowned dozens of the victims.

• 7.0, Ka'u district, March 28, 1868. A foreshock of the April 2 earthquake.

• 7.0, south flank of Kilauea, June 2, 1823

true, it's not freezing cold and 4 feet of snow. OR 100 degrees with air conditioning. but it's still high rise hotels with no power, no working toilets in some areas, food is expensive to begin with. with no lights and no power in areas, i hope they don't a major problem with crime. this type of problem can bring out the nasty people.

My goodness....you've been on sooooooooo many cruises.:eek: 6 in one year.:eek: I'm jealous! Although I'm not sure I could handle all that packing!;)

You must have a ton of nice memories to look back on.:)

I didn't realize it myself till I made that list!!! I guess you can chalk it up to an "old saying" I use lots...."Life is short...eat Dessert first!!"

Call me dumb, but I have never heard of an earthquake in Hawaii! Anyway, it sounds like everyone is safe so that's good. Just wondering if this will affect our cruise in any way, no worries, we can adapt, just curious.

Earthquakes can occur anywhere. There was one recently in New England. The biggest one recorded in the U.S. was in Missouri. They are not fun, especially in the middle of the night, and you lose electricitiy.

Wow! Just goes to show you that you can't always believe news reports. I was watching Fox News and heard that the quake and damage from it was inland. Why do I bother...:rolleyes:

Thanks for claifying....although perhaps I should ask what news station you heard yours news on. ;)

Don't worry about it. Earlier today MSNBC reported that only the islands of "Molokai and Lanikai" were unaffected by the power outages. You'd think they might know the difference between Lanikai (a beach on Oahu) and Lanai (the island by Maui that's part of Maui county).:rolleyes: This is just unacceptably bad reporting. It's not that hard to get the names right.

beachchick

I feel bad for those ppl stuck in Chicago, I'd rather be stuck in Hawaii, even w/ out food, water, and bathrooms.

My wife and I disembarked from Pride of Aloha this morning at 9am. They didn't say anything about trying to keep us onboard, so I don't know where anyone heard that from. We went to the airport in Honolulu to try to get on our 1:15pm flight to Seattle. We waited at the airport until the power came back on at 6pm. Then we waited some more. At first they told us our flight would leave tonight, then they cancelled it. We are still here, sitting in the airport. There are no hotels to go to. Our new flight is supposed to leave at 7am tomorrow.

Anyone in Honolulu with a shower at home want to come give my wife and I a place to sleep and a shower tonight? :)

Call me dumb, but I have never heard of an earthquake in Hawaii! Anyway, it sounds like everyone is safe so that's good. Just wondering if this will affect our cruise in any way, no worries, we can adapt, just curious.

If I remember correctly the Hawaiian Islands are on the eastern side of the "Ring of Fire" which extends across the pacific to Japan. Earthquakes are not common but they do happen and they are also not typically very strong in that area (versus the Japan side). Remember, the Hawaiian Island have all originated from volcanos and some are still active both above ground and under the ocean. Hopefully they'll get the power restored and the clean up underway as soon as possible....thank goodness it sounds like no one was seriously injured.

My wife and I disembarked from Pride of Aloha this morning at 9am. They didn't say anything about trying to keep us onboard, so I don't know where anyone heard that from. We went to the airport in Honolulu to try to get on our 1:15pm flight to Seattle. We waited at the airport until the power came back on at 6pm. Then we waited some more. At first they told us our flight would leave tonight, then they cancelled it. We are still here, sitting in the airport. There are no hotels to go to. Our new flight is supposed to leave at 7am tomorrow.

Anyone in Honolulu with a shower at home want to come give my wife and I a place to sleep and a shower tonight? :)

I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for you....we are "supposed to" leave Friday morning (day early) for Pride of America...let's hope by then it's all under control??

Here's the announcement on NCL's website -- looks like a good solution under the circumstances, and I can definitely see why this decision required a little time to make:

Norwegian Cruise Line and NCL America (together "NCL") are closely monitoring the situation in Hawai`i after the earthquake on Sunday, October 15th. Norwegian Wind, Pride of America, Pride of Aloha and Pride of Hawai`i are all safe and secure. No passenger or crew injuries have been reported.

Flight information is changing rapidly; however, we are aware of several cancellations and many flight delays. The company asks that passengers check with their airline before traveling.

NCL has made the decision to keep Pride of Aloha in Honolulu overnight to accommodate as many guests as possible, from the just-ended cruise, whose flights out of Honolulu today have been cancelled, and to wait until tomorrow for those guests, due to embark the just-starting cruise, whose flights into Honolulu today have been cancelled. For those guests who cannot be accommodated because of lack of cabin space on Pride of Aloha tonight, NCL is working to secure hotel rooms in Honolulu. Priority is being given to guests who booked their air travel through NCL, but, as always, the company is working to try to assist everyone affected.

Pride of Aloha's itinerary will be altered in view of the delayed departure schedule. The updated departure time and adjusted itinerary will be announced tomorrow morning.

NCL will make every effort to update guests aboard Pride of Hawai`i, whose cruise is scheduled to end in Honolulu on Monday, October 16; however, the airlines have not updated the company yet on flights scheduled for tomorrow.

Please check ncl.com periodically for updates.

My grandmother and 2 aunts were onboard NCL's Pride of America when the earthquakes were happening. They were sitting at breakfast and all of a sudden their glasses, plates, and utensils started shaking. They said they could DEFINITELY feel it just as if they had been on land. I talked to them yesterday around 8pm Eastern, and they had finally been allowed to go on shore. Their interary had them being at "the big island" for the next 2 days. They didn't think they were going to be able to go ashore there for obvious reasons, but the Captain and crew have not yet said anything about changing their destinations for these next 2 days. Their cruise is not due back in til the end of the week, so hopefully the other stops will not be affected.

I have read here on CC that is NCL arranges your flight to the cruise then they take responsibility for delays your flight may have in getting you to your cruise... Is that true.... Is NCL responsible to rearrange other flight options in order to get you to your ship even if that ship has gone on to its first stop, etc... ? Flights are always subject to weather, etc delays... does NCL provide passengers that booked their flight through NCL whatever it takes to get them to the ship? Would that include hotel, food and other needs while awaiting the flight to the ship?

I have read here on CC that is NCL arranges your flight to the cruise then they take responsibility for delays your flight may have in getting you to your cruise... Is that true.... Is NCL responsible to rearrange other flight options in order to get you to your ship even if that ship has gone on to its first stop, etc... ? Flights are always subject to weather, etc delays... does NCL provide passengers that booked their flight through NCL whatever it takes to get them to the ship? Would that include hotel, food and other needs while awaiting the flight to the ship?

All I can say is they will do their best. I was on the Dawn Blizzard Cruise. About 150 passengers missed the ship in NYC. NCL not only flew to Jamaica those that had booked air with them but some who were persistent that had booked there own air. They put them up in a hotel for one night until the Dawn arrived at the island.

The problem for this mess is flights to Hawaii are all booked pretty full and finding enough seats on alternate flights could be difficult. Keep in mind it was not just the 100 or so NCL passengers that were stuck in Chicago but everyone headed to the Islands.

I have a friend that he and his wife missed the connecting flight to Seattle for their Alaska cruise three years back... They were a few hours late and the cruise line put them on a chartered (?) King Air Airplane and flew them to Vancouver BC where they were holding the ship for them to board.... They were the only two passengers on the King Air ( a very nice large corporate aircraft)... As for getting people to their cruise in Hawaii ... in this situtation it would be logicial to use a couple of chartered Jets out of California where everone could be flown in to one airport for this connection....then fly them by the chartered jets to the next port on their cruise...

Yes Cassandra they felt it. They said they could tell right then that it was an earthquake. They were pulling in (to Maui I believe) to dock, but had not actually docked yet when the biggest earthquake occured. The captain came over the speaker later and explained what had happened and that they would not be docking until the status of the islands was confirmed and the safety of their passengers was not an issue. They said that the captain acted like it wasn't any big deal, just a small quake. But they got online to check it out and realized it was a massive quake. They were allowed on shore in HOURS later.

I spoke to my sister again last night and she said United Airlines has been trying to help and told them they could fly some people to California late last night and then possibly from California to one of the islands today, but could not fly them to Honolulu as upcoming flights were booked previously. The group called NCL last night after United gave them that info but NCL said they were still assesssing the situation and had no information on when or from where the ship would be sailing. My TA called NCL this a.m. and NCL said the ship is staying in Honolulu until 8pm tonight since so many passengers have been delayed/stranded. So, I don't know where that leaves this group. Hopefully, they can get to a port at some point in the near future.

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

CCL Fantasy 1/2000

CCL Sensation 2/2001

CCL Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

CCL Sensation 2/2004

CCL Imagination 2/2006

CCL Liberty Thanksgiving/2006

I thought the ship had to wait for delayed flights if the flights were arranged by NCL/other cruiseline because I know we've been on cruises that were delayed while we waited for passengers. My TA said this is usually NOT the case, and that most ships leave on time unless there are MANY passengers delayed--not sure what number that would be. Apparently it is the airline's responsibility, not the cruiseline, to get you to the destination you paid them for, and United is handling it as best it can. No, they were not offered hotel/food etc by NCL, maybe they could be reimbursed? Or maybe travel insurance would handle that? My sister said everyone slept on the floor at the airport waiting for news so they could hopefully get going ASAP.

I'm sure many excursions will be cancelled due to all the damage we're still finding out about--very sad situation. Thankfully, the news last night reported there was no loss of life as of yet--it would be astonishing if that remains true. Thank God the tsunami they were worried about didn't happen!!

FrannyK

Costa Riviera 1985

NCL Seaward 1987

CCL Fantasy 1/2000

CCL Sensation 2/2001

CCL Imagination 1/2002

RCI Explorer 6/2002

RCI Monarch 4/2003

CCL Sensation 2/2004

CCL Imagination 2/2006

CCL Liberty Thanksgiving/2006

New update on ncl.com, looks like Kona may be in question for our 10/23 sailing on POH:

Earthquake in Hawai`i Update

Miami - October 16, 2006 --- Norwegian Cruise Line and NCL America ("NCL") continue to monitor the situation in Hawai`i after the earthquake on Sunday, October 15th. Norwegian Wind, Pride of America, Pride of Aloha and Pride of Hawai`i are all safe and secure. All ports in Hawai`i are open except for Kona, which is closed right now to assess damages.

Yesterday, NCL made the decision to keep Pride of Aloha in Honolulu overnight to accommodate as many guests as possible from the just ended cruise who were unable to depart as planned and to hold the ship for passengers who may have been delayed until today.

The airlines have informed NCL that all flights will run as scheduled today although some flights may be subject to minor delays. NCL is working directly with the airlines to put a priority on our guests to enable arrival in time for Pride of Aloha's and Pride of Hawai`i's planned departure times at 8 pm and to assist passengers in getting home.

Pride of Aloha will now depart Honolulu at 8 pm tonight per its new departure schedule. The ship's call into Kona, Hawa`i today has been cancelled. The remainder of Pride of Aloha's itinerary will operate as scheduled. We recommend if passengers cannot make it to the ship by 8 pm (latest arrival in Honolulu by 6 pm); they should join the ship in Nawiliwili, Kaua`i on Tuesday or Wednesday.

As of now, Pride of Hawai`i is scheduled to sail as planned from Honolulu at 8 pm. All major airlines have informed us that flights are running according to schedule. In the event this should change and there are substantial flight delays, NCL will assess the situation and if necessary, may delay the departure of the ship. We recommend that if Pride of Hawai`i guests cannot make it to the ship by 8 pm (latest arrival in Honolulu by 6 pm); they should join the ship in Hilo, Hawai`i on Tuesday.

Itineraries for Norwegian Wind, Pride of America and Pride of Hawai`i have not been altered but this is under review subject to the status of the port of Kona. We are looking closely at the situation and will update if needed.

Please check ncl.com periodically for updates.

Update at Noon

Hi,

I'm standing in Kona now, and the pier is fine. There is a ship docked here as we speak, and tenders are up and running and cruisers are going off on excursions and such. I can't imagine there will be any problems with the POH cruise coming here.

The Hawaii Ironman race is being held here this Saturday Oct. 21, and thousands of people are here for that event, and there are no major holdups there, either.

I hope you enjoy your trip.

Archived