Misinformed 3 Times by Princess Customer Service

crusingdave

I see now, so Princess was running a promo where if you booked a cruise you'd get a $200 gift card for use at Barnes & Noble upon completion of your cruise. You and your TA called Princess and spoke to 3 different people who all told you that your booking was eligible for the promo and you would receive the gift card. You cruised, then Princess said "We're not giving you the gift card because you're not eligible." Is that about the gist of it? If so, yeah, I'd probably be mad too and I'd probably ask my TA to help me complain up the chain of command, but I also wouldn't expect to win the argument if Princess had sent me a letter saying they weren't going to give me the gift card.

Exactly Right. Whenever I receive any promotional material I always verify that it will be accepted. I just received the letter today from Princess and she works for a very large east coast travel agency - and she is a friend does favors for us when possible and is very honest. She told me they don't even have a representative from Princess to go to for help.

Dave,

Since you booked in time, and took the cruise in time, and have the certificate....what exactly are they telling you now?

You mentioned that they said you didn't qualify. Did they explain?

maybe NOW is when they're making an error, not the 3 times you heard before.

Sounds like a miscommunication. Instead of obsessing, I'd just get on the phone until someone high-up enough confirms that they're sending the card, and gives me a direct-line to them, if any follow-up is needed.

If Princess is now denying you the $200.00 gift card at Barnes and Noble did you request a substitution?

Maybe Barnes and Noble stopped providing the gift card and Princess can no longer honored it.

I would make copies of everything then fax and mail it to Princess with a request letter of what you are entitled to.

This is a first time I heard of a gift card being offered. It's usually shipboard credit.

Dave,

Since you booked in time, and took the cruise in time, and have the certificate....what exactly are they telling you now?

You mentioned that they said you didn't qualify. Did they explain?

maybe NOW is when they're making an error, not the 3 times you heard before.

Sounds like a miscommunication. Instead of obsessing, I'd just get on the phone until someone high-up enough confirms that they're sending the card, and gives me a direct-line to them, if any follow-up is needed.

No reason to obsess just it is very hard to fight a hugh corporation and I don't have the time and money. I am not a lawyer, do have a master's degree in education but do not teach, and I know there is fine print that they can do whatever they want. I met the criteria stated and they won't make good. End of story. As far as changing travel agents she is fantastic and always does everything within her power. Her office sells a lot of Royal Caribbean.

Exactly Right. Whenever I receive any promotional material I always verify that it will be accepted. I just received the letter today from Princess and she works for a very large east coast travel agency - and she is a friend does favors for us when possible and is very honest. She told me they don't even have a representative from Princess to go to for help.

That does stink. Generally once you get something in writing from Princess, that's going to be the end of it and you're not going to change their minds. I'm sorry they didn't honor the promotion they sent you. I actually got a promo (via e-mail) and I wanted more info about it, so I passed it along to my TA and asked if she had seen it before. She called them to ask about it and they told her "Oh, we didn't mean to send that to your client, she's not eligible for it." I guess the offer had been sent out by Carnival Corp's people, not Princess's people, and the Princess promo department wasn't happy that Carnival had sent it out. I was pretty annoyed that they had sent me an offer and then told me I wasn't eligible for it, hello, then don't send it to me! :rolleyes: I think sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. That happens in a lot of big oranizations and as great a product as Princess is, it's never going to be immune from those kinds of screw-ups.

I think you can probably file some sort of complaint with one of the consumer watchdog agencies, like your state Attorney General's office or maybe the FTC? I doubt it would accomplish much for you but it might make you feel better that you didn't just let them hose you on this.

That's just bad customer service. Whether you were eligible or not, they told you you were. When we stayed at Sandals, we were promised new luggage. When we got there, they didn't have it for us like they were supposed to. Long story short, we shouldn't ahve been promised it, but since we were promised and they had no luggage, we got a 250 dollar resort credit. Princess needs to make good on its promise.

That does stink. Generally once you get something in writing from Princess, that's going to be the end of it and you're not going to change their minds. I'm sorry they didn't honor the promotion they sent you. I actually got a promo (via e-mail) and I wanted more info about it, so I passed it along to my TA and asked if she had seen it before. She called them to ask about it and they told her "Oh, we didn't mean to send that to your client, she's not eligible for it." I guess the offer had been sent out by Carnival Corp's people, not Princess's people, and the Princess promo department wasn't happy that Carnival had sent it out. I was pretty annoyed that they had sent me an offer and then told me I wasn't eligible for it, hello, then don't send it to me! :rolleyes: I think sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. That happens in a lot of big oranizations and as great a product as Princess is, it's never going to be immune from those kinds of screw-ups.

I think you can probably file some sort of complaint with one of the consumer watchdog agencies, like your state Attorney General's office or maybe the FTC? I doubt it would accomplish much for you but it might make you feel better that you didn't just let them hose you on this.

You're right. I'm just very disappointed and what they said in writing was they checked my captain's club number and I was not eligible, although it had my name on it in the mail, and it was verified by 3 customer service employees that I was eligible. I just want to make people aware of this situation. Even if it is in writing you still will not receive it. So I will not book with Princess again and will cancel a booking for the summer and go on Royal Caribbean.

Cruisingdave,

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I don't blame you for your actions. Fortunately, I haven't run into such misfortune. Personally, I agree that if a promotion is sent via mail, email or whatever it should be honored. If your "systems" don't talk to each other that's not my problem, it's yours.

But, the more I read about the cruise "industry" the more I realize it's like many other "big" businesses. It's good if you don't have any problems, but if you do have an issue, get ready for it to take more of your time than the payback might be worth.

May your cruises on Royal Caribbean (or any other line) be filled with sunshine!

Cruisingdave,

I'm sorry to hear of your situation. I don't blame you for your actions. Fortunately, I haven't run into such misfortune. Personally, I agree that if a promotion is sent via mail, email or whatever it should be honored. If your "systems" don't talk to each other that's not my problem, it's yours.

But, the more I read about the cruise "industry" the more I realize it's like many other "big" businesses. It's good if you don't have any problems, but if you do have an issue, get ready for it to take more of your time than the payback might be worth.

May your cruises on Royal Caribbean (or any other line) be filled with sunshine!

Thanks for the kind words. I really do prefer Celebrity and Royal Caribbean. Try the new Freedom of the Seas, it is an awesome ship for everybody.

You should contact the "Traveler's Aide" writer for USA TODAY. Her name is Linda Burbank and one of her jobs is to get to the bottom of issues just like this. The last thing a big company wants is BAD PRESS, and I would think the last thing Princess would want is for something like this published on the Travel section of USA TODAY.

haha..I experience the horror of the Princess customer service when I went on a cruise back in August (first Princess one)

the cruise staff guy who was giving the ship tour actually said that mustering wasn't necessary!

HAHAHA!

I had sorta the same problem on our last cruise. We had received the latest Captains Circle magazine and it mentioned that if you're on a holiday cruise that you booked by June, you get free champagne and portrait and free kidsitting. I read through the fine print but wanted to see if it was for everyone (besides Captain Circle members). And if it was something we had to request or would be given automatically.

I called Princess and the CSR didn't know anything about it. She put me on hold, then came back and said she talked to someone in Promotions, who didn't seem to know anything about it. She said I should make a copy of the offer and fax it. As I didn't have a fax machine, I sent a letter with copies of both pages the offer was mentioned to Santa Clarita.

A couple of months later, hadn't received a reply. I sent another letter, as well as two emails. Got a reply that the promotion was filled. I called up and complained. There was nothing about a maximum number (which considering there was no mention of requesting this offer). Finally was told that I'll get some wine and a coupon for the portrait. The wine was in the cabin along with the coupon.

I really think that if an offer was made and addressed to you, and nothing in the fine print that would explicitly disqualify you (such as a booking deadline), the offer should be honored. Otherwise it is poor customer relations. If they're sending out the promotions to the wrong people, then they should check out their procedures for selecting who gets sent the offers. Don't frustrate your loyal or prospective customers.

Well, I'd be upset, too. I guess all those Dilbert cartoons dealing with the "marketing department" are true. As someone said earlier, they never seem to know what the rest of the company is up to. They sure as hell don't in our organization.

By the way, and I'm sorry if I missed it in the discussion, who sent out the coupon your received? Princess, or B&N?

As a suggestion to get some kind of closure, perhaps you could ask for an OBC for the same amount on a future cruise.

As a suggestion to get some kind of closure, perhaps you could ask for an OBC for the same amount on a future cruise.

Good Luck!

We too are trying to get an OBC which was offered for using an Am Ex Credit Card to book a Princess cruise.

Our TA was told by Princess if we used the Am Ex card to book the cruise, we would receive an OBC, free dinner, and bottle of wine. Of course, we used the card to book.

Later, Princess informed our TA it is the "Wrong" Am Ex card. How can this be?

It needs to be a Platinum Am Ex Card.

It is a Platinum Card.

Back to Princess - Again - Wrong card - It was issued by Costco.

This is an Am Ex Platinum card - Wrong One????:confused: :confused:

Where do we all get credit cards? Here and there - never knowing that particular ones are not eligible for certain promotions. This card has never been refused anywhere - has worked fine for charges in the US, Canada, Mexico and elsewhere.

If in fact, Princess was offering the OBC, etc., by using a particular card, issued by a particular entity, they should have made this information and exceptions known when relaying the offer to a TA, or private party.

I have written to Princess, with no response yet. Am Ex has denied the offer at this point also. We do not feel it is an Am Ex situation at all, but we did inquire.

We will be a bit more hesitant about offers which may be presented in the future, and ask specifically about any and all exceptions.

Sailaways, at the risk of taking this thread off its original topic, I have to say that the AMEX perks are very limited - though this isn't exactly clear when you pony up your $395 membership fee every year. I blame AMEX for this because they provide the credit to your booking, and not Princess. I'm in the midst of a row with AMEX over a completely separate issue, and since it's the second time I've had this same problem, I'm just cancelling my accounts with them.

Sailaways, at the risk of taking this thread off its original topic, I have to say that the AMEX perks are very limited - though this isn't exactly clear when you pony up your $395 membership fee every year. I blame AMEX for this because they provide the credit to your booking, and not Princess. I'm in the midst of a row with AMEX over a completely separate issue, and since it's the second time I've had this same problem, I'm just cancelling my accounts with them.

Thanks - I know it is slightly off topic, but I really don't want to begin an entire thread about this.

It could be time for us to reconsider AmEx also.

I simply feel it is too bad that perks are so difficult to finalize - regardless of who we, as consumers, are dealing with.

Thanks again, and good luck with a happy conclusion to your situation.:)

Well, I'd be upset, too. I guess all those Dilbert cartoons dealing with the "marketing department" are true. As someone said earlier, they never seem to know what the rest of the company is up to. They sure as hell don't in our organization.

By the way, and I'm sorry if I missed it in the discussion, who sent out the coupon your received? Princess, or B&N?

I received the offer from Princess. I faxed the letter to my travel agent today and she is taking it higher - she is mad because she put so much time into this thing. She said the response letter is inadequate. She is checking with her Manager and other agencies within their company if they have a rep. from Princess to give this too. She has the certificate for the gift card in her file.

Dave

Come on Porkys 2. You get on this site and trash everyone that has a valid complaint. You obviously work for Princess. It is very clear what crusingDave has said :

"Very simple a certificate for a $200.00 gift card was sent to me to book a cruise. I booked a cruise within the correct time frame, took a cruise within the correct time frame, it was verified by 3 Princess Representatives that I would receive the gift card and now they won't send it."

It can't be any clearer than that! He was sent a certificate to get a gift card if he booked a cruise, and he booked a cruise and then they wouldn't send him the certificate. Why harass him? Why stick up for Princess all the time? You say on here that so many people book their cruises and then want the promotional offers, but all of the threads I read that you trash talk about being told incorrect information from Princess before they booked the cruise. Go phone Princess right now and ask them if they will honor a price reduction after a cruise is booked and paid for in full and they will say yes. And then everyone is reporting that they won't. If they say it happened that way, then please accept what they are saying. Oops, I forgot, you work for Princess.

"Very simple a certificate for a $200.00 gift card was sent to me to book a cruise. I booked a cruise within the correct time frame, took a cruise within the correct time frame, it was verified by 3 Princess Representatives that I would receive the gift card and now they won't send it."

That isn't exactly what the OP said. The way it read to me was that they had already had the April cruise booked when they got the $200 offer and they were trying to make it retroactive. I still don't understand the full details.

Anyway, she/he made their point and are cancelling a future Princess cruise.

Ron

Archived