Misinformed 3 Times by Princess Customer Service

crusingdave

"You are not eligible because you are not eligible" is about as satisfying (and about as informative) as "You are not eligible because I said so." This is like shifting sand -- it's a standard that no one can meet, because there either is no standard or the standard isn't clear.

The question that needs answering here is "What eligibility requirement was not met?"

May I quote "we apologize if you were misinformed by any our Reservations or Captain's Circle staff regarding your eligibility for this promotion. Unfortunately as per the information in our brochures and our Passenger Contract, we would be unable to protect verbal miscommunication and trust you will understand our position in this matter."

Without disputing the OP's claim, it really would be nice to know exactly what the wording on the original offer was - and what the specific eligibility qualifications were, and why he/she felt it was necessary to clarify the offer through the TA at the onset. The wording must have been rather ambiguous to begin with to cause the questioning.

At any rate, I hope some resolution is reached soon for the OP.

Has anyone else heard about this promo?

On another thread "Diamond Princess 7/22/06Nb" there is a brief discussion about this promo

Basically, it states: Loosley Quoted:)""Book between Oct 10-Dec 31st 2005 and receive a $200 B&N Gift Card. This offer was apparently made by Princess through random mailings with ad ad: 'Give yourself a dream cruise and we'll give you up to $200 to spend at B&N.'

The poster stated that the rules were strictly written and that the gift card will be mailed 75 days prior to the cruise. They (Princess) are pretty emphatic about these are the full, final and complete details of the offer and they cannot be changed."" Unquote.

Very brief and sketchy info -

But to answer the question, Yes, someone else apparently has heard of this promo.

My question would still be what were the specific stipulations, time frame for when the booking would have had to have been made - was it for a specific cruise, etc., etc., etc.

My whole question is why even bother to ask three reps about whether he qualified for the promotion. Either you do or you don't. There must have been a doubt in his mind to start with to go to the trouble to ask, and then apparently he might not have qualified but was told he did. But that's just speculation and I hope things work out for Dave.

crusingdave - Understand I'm not questioning your position, I'm just still a bit confused as to actually what happened. So, humor me as I have a couple of dumb questions that I haven't read the answers to.

1) Did this offer come from Princess? If not, who was it from?

2) Was it a special offer for only Captain Circle members? (I don't remember receiving this offer and I get bunches)

3) Were you a Captain Circle Member at the time you booked this cruise?

4) Did you book your cruise before or after you received this offer.

5) You stated "I went to my travel agent to make sure they would make the offer good after a cruise we went on in April." Most of these offers clearly state in writting they are only good on future booking and cruises. Was that the case here? I'm just confused why, if you were abiding be the rules/regulations/restrictions stated on the offer why you questioned getting it and your TA made at least two phone calls to verify Princess's "make the offer good" position.

Again, I'm not saying you don't deserve the B&N Gift Card, I'm just still confused on exactly what happened here. And yes, I understand Princess responded "yes" over the phone to questions posed by your TA it's just what surrounded those questions I'm not clear on. Heck, blame it on a dumb blond day!;)

I wanted to let the many nice people know why I had to stop my comments. I really appreciate the suggestions. I have no idea exactly who sent the coupon and what customers received the coupon. This was a ridiculous question and besides my travel agent must have talked to three dumb blondes. These two items really infuriated me and I will not communicate with people who ask questions that I have no possible of knowing. I realize there are people that receive some type of compensation whether it be free cruises, etc or they could be working for a consultant that are paid to try to discredit people with legitimate problems. Lastly, I wanted to let people know that my travel agent wrote a letter to Princess (she is faxing it on Monday) and she is asking why I am not eligible. One call she made was during the original transaction and the other two calls were after the cruise was completed and I did not receive the gift card. I will only post again after I hear from my travel agent and what progress she makes.

Quote from crusingdave

my travel agent must have talked to three dumb blondes.

That is a nasty remark.... Shame on you!!!

Barnes & Noble has a great book for you to read - Nasty People: How to Stop Being Hurt by Them Without Becoming One of Them

by Jay Carter

You have to pick it up since you need it.....

Quote from crusingdave

Barnes & Noble has a great book for you to read - Nasty People: How to Stop Being Hurt by Them Without Becoming One of Them

by Jay Carter

Lighten up!!! :eek:

I really don't want to do any more business with them after the bad taste they left in my mouth. I will not do business with anyone who will not back-up verbal committments. Besides my travel agent said this is the first time she has ever ran into this - there are many coupons, etc. she receives, especially from Royal Caribbean and never had a problem with them. Personally I feel Celebrity, Royal Caribbean and NCL deliver a better product having sailed on Celebrity 3 times, Royal Caribbean 15 times, Princess 2 times, and NCL 1 time.

Dave, I completely understand your frustration as many of us on the 7/11 "list voyage" have gotten the same run-around and refusal of the company to honor their verbal claims. Unfortunately, I have learned the law does not allow representatives to make oral contracts on behalf of the corporation they work for. Written contracts, however, should and can be honored in the U.S. court of law. Granted their ships are registered in foreign countries, the corporation does most of their business out of CA.

Do you have anything in writing from the cruise line? I suggest you fax a letter with the written information over to the corporate offices, and maybe you can find a specific department to write ATTENTION next to on the envelope, that way it will go directly to who takes care of that (in this case, maybe revenue/processing center?) I haven't gotten time to read every post, so I'm sorry if I'm recommending the same thing that other's might have said.

It's really hard to call Princess and speak to someone higher up. They usually will refuse, even if you demand it, and once the supervisor is available, they too will back up the representative you previously spoke with. If you go back and search for the thread "Crown 7/11 Tip Removal???" you will find many confused and frustrated people who only wanted their reimbursements for airfare and expensive items lost during the accident. It's pretty interesting how everyone was treated on an individual basis and we still have not gotten an explanation for the numerous inconsistencies among most passengers. It's situations such as this where a company's true colors really show through.

Just keep in mind that Princess has to deal with dishonest individuals who will try to get money even if they don't deserve it, so one should understand their reluctance when dealing with certain situations. It is sad that corporations have to act in such a manner, but when we live in such a cynical society, every individual and organization must look out for themselves.

Good luck with everything. Hope it works out.

PS--Don't drop Princess altogether. They offer great cruises, IMO, and the food is MUCH better than any other cruise line (and I have been on most major lines). Just my 2 cents.:D

Quote from crusingdave

by Jay Carter

In all honesty, you have made nasty remarks as well, most of them worse than the "dumb blonde" post.

I agree, chill out. You're out of control, once again.:rolleyes:

Yeah, right. Tell me another one...jad7984..

crusingdave - unintentionally you might not have tried to harm anyone. But, you said it....that's all.

I asked you this several threads ago but you never answered -

If Princess is now denying you the $200.00 Barnes and Noble gift card did you request a substitution?

Maybe Barnes and Noble stopped providing the gift card and Princess can no longer honored it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LARGIN

If I am not mistaken, to receive the Barnes and Noble $200 card, you had to book a new cruise between October 10th and December 31st, 2005. Is this what you did?

Yes.

Why did you wait till now to have your TA investigate this? When was your cruise? You said you Cancelled your July Cruise.....

I do hope your TA has better look in helping you out....Good Luck....you're entitled to it....

I also have to agree with jad7984 Princess cruises do have great offers but you have to feel comfortable cruising on a line.

Good luck, Dave, I hope it works out for you. Sounds like something the Ombudsman from Conde Nast Traveler magazine could sink their teeth into. Thanks for sharing your problem with other cruisers.

Well fancy that, I agree with this statement – but I’m sure my thoughts behind it are totally different. I think it would be interesting to get an objective point of view into the discussion.

Big Bad Princess lying to its customers all the time. I think the original poster had the right idea – if you don’t like the cruise line or the way you’re treated, stop pumping money into it and buy your vacations somewhere else.

Cruisingdave, my SIL received this Barnes and Noble promotion. She has never sailed on Princess and only had a Captain's Circle number because I gave her and my brother a referral to get the referral reward since they were thinking of booking a cruise for their anniversary. My SIL received this promo right after I received a Gold Mine promo which offered shipboard credit. She called Princess because she would rather have had shipboard credit but she was told that the promos were not exchangeable--(couldn't substitute shipboard credit for the Barnes and Noble gift card) and that it was random as to what you recieved promo-wise, if in fact you received anything. (My SIL decided not to book on Princess and instead they spent their anniversary in Italy on a land vacation).

I remember this Barnes and Noble promo was discussed on this board, as was the National Geographic promo and some of the several variations of the Gold Mine promo. Posters who want to know more could search the board and read the postings made earlier re this subject.

As for myself, after I received the Gold Mine promo, which was sent to my home address with my name on it, I made a booking but Princess customer service tried to claim that I wasn't eligible for this promo--that apparently I was sent the promo in error as my Captain's Circle number didn't reflect my being given the promo. I discussed the issue with staff at Customer Relations, which apparently is a resolutions type department at a higher level than Customer Service, and faxed them a copy of the promo that showed my name and address clearly printed on it. I ultimately received the credit, insisting that I be sent an invoice showing the shipboard credit, and I used the shipboard credit this summer on the cruise I had booked.

Yeah, right. Tell me another one...jad7984..

Just thought it was funny how you called him "nasty" for referring to a joke made by another poster, as the rant made you look foolish for your failure to read what someone said a few posts prior. Read before you type.

I don't remember saying Princess has great deals, although they do have many fair priced voyages. I did say that Princess has great itineraries and food. I'm sure you agree with that as well.

Also, how do you know about the book "Nasty People"?;)

Let me clarify what has apparently been misrepresented here. My "dumb blond" comment was directed at myself (thanks to a good hairdresser) NOT at the Princess staff. I made my post with the suspicion that Dave was going to feel "interrogated" and that was not my intent at all. I really wanted to be able to support him and maybe even offer some informed advise but I needed to fully understand exactly what happened first - therefore the need to ask the questions. Guess my attempt at light humor fell on deaf ears.

And Dave just how was I to know without asking

I have no idea exactly who sent the coupon and what customers received the coupon. This was a ridiculous guestion ... These two items really infuriated me and I will not communicate with people who ask questions that I have no possible of knowing.

It did seem as if you had done your homework so I assumed (boy can that get one in trouble) you knew. I apologize for any offence taken.

Finally, you did expand upon my "dumb blond" comment with

This was a ridiculous question and besides my travel agent must have talked to three dumb blondes.
and I think that is what got you reprimand by a few. You didn't quote me, you put a entirely twist on it.

I really do hope you get what you feel you are entitled to; trust me I feel your pain if you have been cheated out of something for which you qualified.

Again my apologies if my questions upset you, no disrespect was intended. Barb

crusingdave - why are you avoiding my questions?

Why did you wait till now to have your TA investigate this? When was your cruise? You said you Cancelled your July Cruise.....

If Princess is now denying you the $200.00 Barnes and Noble gift card did you request a substitution?

Maybe Barnes and Noble stopped providing the gift card and Princess can no longer honored it.

jad7984 - I did not call him nasty, I said the remark was nasty. Also, go back & see what you wrote - "Princess cruises do have great offers". I totally agreed with that.....stating "Princess cruises do have great offers."

Have to agree with you again Read before you type.

billet - Great Idea.....

jad7984 - I did not call him nasty, I said the remark was nasty. Also, go back & see what you wrote - "Princess cruises do have great offers". I totally agreed with that.....stating "Princess cruises do have great offers."

Have to agree with you again Read before you type.

billet - Great Idea.....

I believe what I said was "Don't drop Princess altogether. They offer great cruises, IMO, and the food is MUCH better than any other cruise line."

So, you incorrectly quoted me twice. Nowhere did I say anything about great deals. Please, spare us the propaganda.

You're questioning Dave as to why he didn't answer your question, when you didn't answer mine. I'll ask again...How did you know of the book that you requested Dave go buy?:)

I believe what I said was "Don't drop Princess altogether. They offer great cruises, IMO, and the food is MUCH better than any other cruise line."

So, you incorrectly quoted me twice. Nowhere did I say anything about great deals. Please, spare us the propaganda.

Yep, you're right jad.

PS--Don't drop Princess altogether. They offer great cruises, IMO, and the food is MUCH better than any other cruise line (and I have been on most major lines). Just my 2 cents.:D

I like the quote feature; it helps to make sure I don't misquote people because that can cause further misunderstandings.

Archived