Concierge Service on Voyager Class

We are booked on a Jr. Suite on the Voyager for Jan 2008. ($1,149) and were thinking about going up to a Grand Suite ($1,549) or an Owner's Suite ($2,149).

I was just curious about the Concierge Service offered on the Grand and Owner's suites. Is it worth the extra money? My wife and I are college students which is why we are planning this vacation way in advance. I need advice!!

We've never seen the need to pay extra to get concierge service. We are quite capable of picking up our own tickets to the ice show, of making reservations at a specialty restaurant, and paying for a few drinks! That's about all you get, aside from the "prestige"! In a JS, you still get 2 C&A credits (that's what we like!!) and for the 2 of us, the JS gives us plenty of space. But, I guess it comes down to what is important to you, and how much money you're willing to spend!

We get Concierge service because we are Diamond members. The Concierge lounge is open in the morning for continental breakfast, coffee all day, and in the evening cocktails (not fancy drinks) and hors d'oevres.

The Concierge can arrange for tickets for ice skating, tender, and early debarkation if needed or requested. If it were me, I wouldn't spend the extra just to have the benefits I have mentioned. If you want to have extra space in the cabin as well as the benefits, maybe it's worth it. It's not to us, but everyone has different priorities.

As a college student, personally, I would save the extra. If I wanted to have drinks I would just buy them. We have 2 drinks a night before dinner in the lounge so it wouldn't come up to the amount of difference. There is always time for you to go to a GS or above when you are done with college. If you do all this now, what will you have to look forward to?

Sorry, it's the mother in me coming out, lol. Whichever you choose, enjoy.

Katie

We've never seen the need to pay extra to get concierge service. We are quite capable of picking up our own tickets to the ice show, of making reservations at a specialty restaurant, and paying for a few drinks! That's about all you get, aside from the "prestige"! In a JS, you still get 2 C&A credits (that's what we like!!) and for the 2 of us, the JS gives us plenty of space. But, I guess it comes down to what is important to you, and how much money you're willing to spend!

thats kind of what i thought too. we will probably go with the jr. suite. i really doubt i will drink $800 worth of liquor to make up for the extra cost.

Ok now I'm really confused??? I am reading the new 07-08 brochure. On page 78 under the catagory: Balcony Suites, where it lists Junior Suites as a suite, it says with a bullet point;

"Complimetary concierge service availible on all Radiance and Voyager-family ships.* *For additional information please refer to page 118."

(Pg 118)- Can I Get Concierge Service?

Complimentary concierge service is available to guests booked in suites on select ships. Amenities and services offerd are not available to other guests onboard these ships. Concierge service is available daily in the Concierge Lounge fron 8:30a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and from 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.* Concierge service is limited to guests 18 and over after 5:00p.m. Concierge service is limited to guests 18 and over after 5 p.m. (yes it does say that twice) Guests 18 and under must always be accompanied by a parent or gaudian. *Times may vary by ship.

* If sailing in a suite, please use he following as you guide for stateroom attendant: $5.75 a day per guest.

It really does appear that JS is a suite. If I had not come to this site and booked a JS, I would definately assume that I could use the Concierge Lounge. I see no where in this brochure that say's otherwise.

Has anyone gained access to the Lounge in showing this print to the powers that be? It certainly looks like false advertising to me.

Anyone?

Ok now I'm really confused??? I am reading the new 07-08 brochure. On page 78 under the catagory: Balcony Suites, where it lists Junior Suites as a suite, it says with a bullet point;

"Complimetary concierge service availible on all Radiance and Voyager-family ships.* *For additional information please refer to page 118."

(Pg 118)- Can I Get Concierge Service?

Complimentary concierge service is available to guests booked in suites on select ships. Amenities and services offerd are not available to other guests onboard these ships. Concierge service is available daily in the Concierge Lounge fron 8:30a.m. to 11:30 a.m. and from 5:00 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.* Concierge service is limited to guests 18 and over after 5:00p.m. Concierge service is limited to guests 18 and over after 5 p.m. (yes it does say that twice) Guests 18 and under must always be accompanied by a parent or gaudian. *Times may vary by ship.

* If sailing in a suite, please use he following as you guide for stateroom attendant: $5.75 a day per guest.

It really does appear that JS is a suite. If I had not come to this site and booked a JS, I would definately assume that I could use the Concierge Lounge. I see no where in this brochure that say's otherwise.

Has anyone gained access to the Lounge in showing this print to the powers that be? It certainly looks like false advertising to me.

Anyone?

The language is confusing and as soon as I saw it, I knew we would start reading questions of this sort. I don't believe that they intended the language to mean that they had changed their policy regarding junior suites. JS have not qualified as suites for concierge service purposes for several years now. They also do not use the $5.75 per person per day rate for passengers in a Junior suite. We are just off the Freedom of the Seas and had our tips placed on our shipboard account. The usual $3.50 was charged.

I am sure that some people will try to use the brochure language to argue that their junior suite entitles them to the concierge service, but at the same time, I don't think that those same people will feel that they should tip their stateroom attendant at the higher rate. My recommendation is to accept that junior suites do not come with concierge service, and the language in the brochure that implies that they do, is incorrect. Concierge service is a nice perk, but ought not to be essential to your enjoying your cruise.

Negc thankyou for your repy. For the record I'm in a GS on my next cruise and my folks are in a JS. I'm not at all trying to circumvent anything here, in fact, I would rather it be the way you suggest it is so that it's not to crowded when I'm there. (to be completely selfish) However, I will say again, if I had not come here and planned my vacation and possible upgrading to a JS thinking that I would have the perks that this brochure promises I would be furious!

Let me ask this? How did you all come to "know" that JS was not given the same suite perks? Did you know ahead of time or did you find out on the ship, or was it printed somewhere before?

PS I wouldn't say that language is confusing. I would say the contrary, that the language is quite clear, that a Junior Suite is in a fact a suite that gets concierge service.

JS have not qualified as suites for concierge service purposes for several years now. They also do not use the $5.75 per person per day rate for passengers in a Junior suite. We are just off the Freedom of the Seas and had our tips placed on our shipboard account. The usual $3.50 was charged.

Jay and I were in a JS on the Grandeur last Oct. We were provided the tipping recommendations for suites of $5.75 per person per day rate in our stateroom documents. We also received 2 cruise credits for booking a JS. We [assumed] that the JS was considered a suite for all intents and purposes. We have not yet used the option of placing our tips on our shipboard account . . . does the form allow you to specify amount or do they just charge you the minimum recommended amounts?

Scheila

I would say the contrary, that the language is quite clear, that a Junior Suite is in a fact a suite that gets concierge service.

Well they don't, sorry :eek: The tips are the same as the regular staterooms.

If you are using a TA, they should be fired, as well as the person who proofreads RCCL's brochures :eek:

You do get two C&A credits :-)

###

We have not yet used the option of placing our tips on our shipboard account . . . does the form allow you to specify amount or do they just charge you the minimum recommended amounts?

They just charge you the recommended amounts. If you want to tip more, you have to do so in cash.

Negc thankyou for your repy. For the record I'm in a GS on my next cruise and my folks are in a JS. I'm not at all trying to circumvent anything here, in fact, I would rather it be the way you suggest it is so that it's not to crowded when I'm there. (to be completely selfish) However, I will say again, if I had not come here and planned my vacation and possible upgrading to a JS thinking that I would have the perks that this brochure promises I would be furious!

Let me ask this? How did you all come to "know" that JS was not given the same suite perks? Did you know ahead of time or did you find out on the ship, or was it printed somewhere before?

PS I wouldn't say that language is confusing. I would say the contrary, that the language is quite clear, that a Junior Suite is in a fact a suite that gets concierge service.

I can only speak for myself, but I know that many, if not most, of us long-time members know about the JS not being included because when the Voyager came out, the brochure listed the JS (then called Cat C) as included. That turned out to be an error and new brochures were printed specifying that Concierge was for GS, OS, RFS, and RS only and not for JS. For a certain period of time, RCI did allow JS pax to use the Concierge lounge.

Up until this latest round of brochures, RCI did correctly list the JS as excluded (specifically, they listed that included cats were GS, OS, RFS, and RS only). Now, we're back to the original problem, only it's much worse this time because in the interim many, many, many more people have reached Diamond status (and access to the lounges regardless of category booked). The lounges are quite crowded most of the time--add in all the JS pax (and there are many JS cabins on the ships), and there's just no way they could accomodate everyone.

They're going to have to go through it all again, and they need new writers and proofreaders!

beachchick

beachick thanks for that reply and the explanation behind what's happened here. It's better than, "you just cant" although I believed that was the case I sure couldn't understand why? I combed this brochure for an asterick somewhere that clarified a JS not being a real suite, therefore not being able to use the concierge lounge. And found the contrary, that it is listed as a suite, and one of the perks listed was the lounge! :rolleyes:

I can understand why Diamond members would be frustrated by this. :mad: If I spent all that money and time to get to a certain status and then I was unable to use the lounge because of over crowding and typo's then I would be upset.

You would think that since this issue has been corrected once it wouldn't happen again.:confused:

Phoenix, why should my TA be fired? Did you read anywhere that she said JS was able to use the lounge? She didn't. I'm questioning this from what I read here and just trying to understand why. Thanks for your help.

After researching in the 2006-2007 catalog (Mexico and Panama Canal), it is our interpretation that there are two separate answers regarding suites:

1) concierge service

pg 52 "Can I get Concierge Service? . . . Complimentary Concierge Service is available on Enchantment of the Seas and all Radiance and Voyager families of ships to guests booked in R, FS, OS, or GS category Suites." Please note that this specification of suite categories infers that there are other categories of suites, i.e. JS.

2) suite gratuities

pg 52 "What are the gratuity guidelines for cruises? . . . If sailing in a Suite, please using the following as your guides for stateroom attendant; $5.75 a day per guest." Please note this section contains no differentiation between category of Suite.

Guess that means you need to make Diamond and then it doesn't really matter:)

Archived