Cabins to avoid

Broughton Hall

We were aft on the "Main" deck of the Volendam. (Cabin L2703) Loads of constant vibration from the drive train (screws) from the engine room. We got use to it, but it may drive others crazy.

We always find that cabins, midship, sandwiched between two cabin decks are very quiet.

Enjoy!

Kel

I read somewhere (maybe this post) that they were about 45 inches tall. Maybe it's the photo angle or the fact that it's the Zuiderdam and not the Noordam, but they don't look that tall. After seeing the following pictures, they reminded me that we have had steel balconies on the Adventure of the Seas, Vision of the Seas and the Grandeur of the Seas. I like the idea of having a little extra width and I don't think we will mind the steel.

Does anyone have a photo that looks down at these verandah's? I would like to see how much of the verandah sticks out below the upper decks.

PS - I sure hope it is alright to post these photos! Credit goes to Jimmie H.

http://crazycruisers.shutterfly.com/action/slideshow?a=67b0de21b33676b465f8&auto=0&idx=76&m=1&d=1190136313324

http://crazycruisers.shutterfly.com/action/slideshow?a=67b0de21b33676b465f8&auto=0&idx=76&m=1&d=1190136313324

Now now, Brian ... they are the ONLY "Inside" cabins to have windows!!! So ... of course they GREAT. :)

Well, aboard Amsterdam they're priced as a Cat. "D" (Outside) - which IMO truly makes them "The Worst Outside"...

...whereas aboard Zaandam and Volendam, the same stateroom is priced as a Cat. "I" (Inside) - so if you value location more than usable floor space, they're "The Best Inside"

(which works for me since I'll be one of the only two people aboard to be able to see the Panama Canal locks from bed)

:D

I had an aft balcony on the Zuiderdam back in June, 2005 - and the worst thing was we had to watch out, usually in ports, for falling objects. Usually drink glasses, but on one occasion, an entire bottle of Amaretto!

Otherwise, those are my favorite rooms!

The cabin that we had on the Noordam was a fully obstructed outside with a floor to ceiling window on deck 4. Although it wasn't as bad as we expected, because the tender boats had windows on them that you could still see through a bit, we had a ton of noise from the tenders at night sailing at full speed. I don't know if that would happen in every room, but it did in ours. I also would never take that category again due to the maitenance crew walking across and working in the tenders. Even though the windows were tinted so they couldn't see in during the day, it still was quite annoying.

Hey, Duck Tune, poor Ryndam was still having trouble with the flushing when we sailed Jan/Feb this year. People had to move to other cabins, or couldn't use the toilets all night. They were replacing pipes as we sailed . . . we were told it's a job that takes longer than dry dock allows.

There are usually some problems, somewhere, on each cruise.

Here's to finding the quietest and driest cabins on a ship!

:):):) nknkb

• 1 month later...

VERY interesting...........I wrote about our cabin from Hell on here and it was deleted............avoid 1829 (we were on Zaandam) at all costs........tender doors bashing open UNDER your bed..............people and luggage offloading OVER your bed.............the luggage begins about four a.m.:mad:

It was an "upgrade".................beware upgrades.;)

We have often been right "on" the elevators and the only time there has been a problem was once when we made the mistake of taking an NCL cruise and the 13 - 15 year old teenagers were horrible during the midnight hours.........playing on the staircases and elevators and banging on cabin doors.:mad:

The elevators have never been a problem for us on any other ships.

On the Zaandam to HI in October we heard banging noises in our lower deck cabin. Others heard it too and complained to the Front Desk. It turned out to be air in the lines and the first couple who complained got a courtesy bottle of champagne.

Bill

I was recently looking for the first time at another board (Celebrity) and noticed they had a really interesting thread on cabins to avoid. I was amazed at some of the issues people faced in certain cabins, including strange noises that nobody could explain, poles in the middle of certain cabins and obstructed views with painters platforms. All things I would never have even thought of. I wonder if anyone had any particular pet peeves against certain cabins on Holland America ships. My first cruise with Holland America is in December and I was particularly interested in the Westerdam but it would be interesting to hear of any peculiarities on all ships. I am in cabin 6083 and to be perfectly honest not sure if that is a good or bad choice. All I know is it is mid ship with a small balcony and was a good price.

I have a noise story for you all! It didnt take place on HAL but instead was on the SS Norway (NCL). My bestfreind and I were entertainers travelling during their famous theme cruises. We were given the very last outide cabin on the port side (Atlantic Deck I think) by the disco. This is the side of the ship with the men's room. Whenever the door to the men's room would be opened the urinals would flush! I KID YOU NOT!! I went to see for myself! LOL!! So every night until 3 or 4 AM we were entertained by the sounds of men opening the bathroom door - FLUSH to enter the men's room and opening the door - FLUSH to leave! GOD! Drove us CRAZY!

Speaking of the Norway, in 1986 we were shown an inside cabin that had a window looking into the pool. It was pretty low down into the pool and as we looked a passenger dove down and waved at us. I think that would be an annoying thing for any unsuspecting passenger. The concierge who was showing us this said it was regularly occupied.

Just found this thread. I've booked 4090 - a disabled-access category H - on the Zuiderdam for me and my mobility-limited mother. I was happy to get her a cabin near the elevators, but now I'm reading here that there will be, essentially, no storage space. Plus, the next three cabin spaces toward the bow are shown as blank, no cabin numbers, on the deck plan, and no one at HAL seemed able to tell me what or who was in there. Anyone been in 4090 or 4089 who can enlighten me...or at least quell my mounting anxiety?

• 3 weeks later...
It looks from the deck plans that this cabin in under the Northern Lights disco. Anybody have noise problems with this cabin?

Did anyone ever answer this question? I just got my cabin assignment and it's 1046. I'm not really happy about it, because it seems to be under Northern Lights. Has anyone stayed in this room? Of course, I have no idea what to do about it if it's a bad room.

We were recently in cabin number 1912 on the Rotterdam in Europe. At least 2 or 3 times a day an alarm sounded that was a lot like the sound that is made by a European police car. Sometimes it would be for a slpit second and at other times it would sound for 5-15 seconds, usually during daytime hours. We pretty much ignored it until it sounded one morning at about 7:30am for a considerable amount of time and roused us from bed. We questioned our room steward who informed us that the front office was working on investigating the alarm. Other guests near our cabin were asking about the noise also. When we called the Front Desk, we were told that this was the first time anyone had complained about it and they were unaware of the source. Upon further investigation, we were then told that we were directly above the engine room. We were told that it was an alarm that had to be tested on a regular basis to ensure communication between the bridge and the engine room. Although annoying, this loud noice could startle light sleepers or those sensitive to loud noises.

I've since searched these boards to see of other members have had the same problem and have found no other instances of this problem.

I haven't read the rest of this thread so I don't know if anyone else has had this issue but I've heard this too. I think it was on the Volendam several years ago. The problem was that it always seemed to occur in the middle of the night and would last for a while. I mentioned it to the front desk and they looked at me like I was nuts. No one else I talked to around the ship ever heard it. Good to see someone else has had this experience.

bigwuhead: we were in cabin 5039 (only 2 doors down from 5043) on the Westerdam in March; I believe the Zuiderdam is set up similarly; we thought it was a nice deck and a nice location; it is by an elevator lobby, but it wasn't disturbing to us, in fact, it helped with getting our bearings on other decks. You cannot look down onto other balconies, nor can other balconies look down on you, unless you lean over the rail. We plan on reserving the same area on future cruises. It was our first time in a balcony cabin, and we are now hooked, no more inside or outside cabins for us!

Also, will the people above us be able to see onto our verandah?
You cannot look down onto other balconies, nor can other balconies look down on you, unless you lean over the rail.
You will be able to see the outer 18" or so of the VF cabins below you, and as Priscilla Cat said you will be able to see others standing at the rail above or below you. In this picture, the people are on deck 4.

attachment.php?attachmentid=60199&d=1192653555

I have a noise story for you all! It didnt take place on HAL but instead was on the SS Norway (NCL). My bestfreind and I were entertainers travelling during their famous theme cruises.!

I MISS those theme cruises on the Norway! :cool:The theme cruises offered now are not usually offered through the cruise line but with agencies tacking on a HEFTY premium. NCL used to do it up right.

Just found this thread. I've booked 4090 - a disabled-access category H - on the Zuiderdam for me and my mobility-limited mother. I was happy to get her a cabin near the elevators, but now I'm reading here that there will be, essentially, no storage space. Plus, the next three cabin spaces toward the bow are shown as blank, no cabin numbers, on the deck plan, and no one at HAL seemed able to tell me what or who was in there. Anyone been in 4090 or 4089 who can enlighten me...or at least quell my mounting anxiety?

We have this cabin booked for a Med' cruise in Sept'.

I would be very interested in your comments after your cruise.

I was in 4085 last month. The three cabins without numbers are for certain crew and entertainment staff. On our side (opposite of you) we had Jim Curry (John Denver music performer) staying in one of those cabins. If you don't mine not having a balcony I think you'll like your cabin.

Cabin to avoid - Amsterdam, cabin 1915 and probably 1913 as well.

They are over the butcher shop and there was constant noise. Every afternoon the saw would run for an hour with a high pitched whining sound. During the night things would bang together and roll across the floor. We even had 2 nights with almost no sleep at all and no chance of a nap in the afternoon because of the saw and other banging.

Went to the front desk and phoned several times - they promised to fix the noise, but of course they couldn't. We finally went right to the head of customer relations who solved the problem in about 10 minutes and moved us up a deck. Still we had a month in that cabin with very little sleep which was unacceptable.

Well....we shall soon "find out" about A057......My sister-in-laws and cousin will be staying in that cabin. We will be next door in A055 and others in our party will be on the other side..A059.....

The A057 and A055 cabins have a door that can be opened between them, though we really don't plan to use that option. We just ended up in those 2 cabins because they needed to be in a 3 person cabin and we wanted to be next door. We should be able to report about any problem that could arise re: the interconnecting door (soundproofing issues, IF any)....as well as the condition of the cabins in general......

We are going in early February........

I was in 4085 last month. The three cabins without numbers are for certain crew and entertainment staff. On our side (opposite of you) we had Jim Curry (John Denver music performer) staying in one of those cabins. If you don't mine not having a balcony I think you'll like your cabin.

Ah, thanks! Well, as long as anyone who has any connection to John Denver stays on the opposite side of the ship, it's all good. :D

this is very interesting to find out about HAL cabins.

pls. continue by posting what you know. I usually have insides (only been on 2 HAL cruises so far) but am interested in knowing about the outside cabins! for future reference

:)

Archived