Cabins to avoid

Broughton Hall

Just got off the Amsterdam. We stayed in 7056 aft cabin. Although smaller than a normal outside cabin, we would not hesitate to book it again if the price was right. Had a short trip to the Lido deck and the Exploration cafe. There was a nice deck off the back, which was used by just a few people. Only complaint I have about this cabin is that the lights on the rear deck are on all night. Even with the curtains closed, the room was not completely dark at night. There was very little noise at the rear of this deck. Like I said, would book again would no problem.

I have asked this question several times, but haven't received a reply, and time is growing short. We are sailing the Noordam and are assigned to 1046, a Cat C, which is on the main deck, and appears to be under the Northern Lights nightclub. I'm sure there's not much I can do about it, but I am still curious as to whether anyone has stayed in this room, or a nearby one, and how much the noise from above might affect my peaceful enjoyment, so to speak. I would hope the engineers took this into account when insulating the place! LOL :)

Also, when we stayed in a VF last year on the Noordam, there was a storage space above the couch. Is that available in this room, too?

We had 5127 last year on the Noordam and LOVED it. Very quiet and close to everything. Lots of places to store things. Unfortunately, someone else got that room for my 1/5/08 cruise (as well as every other cabin on that deck, apparently). Anyone have any info on C cabins? We booked 2 days ago and have a Guar. C.

I was in a C cabin on the Noordam. I have the cabin number upstairs if you are interested once your cabin is assigned. It did the job. We chose that category because it had a bathtub and was midship. Edited to add: I just read your latest post. I was about 4 doors from reception. I can get you the number if you want to change. Personally I wouldn't want to be under the Northern Lights. I would move cabin. We were originally near the Vista Lounge and moved due to our fear of noise and foot traffic.

I was in a C cabin on the Noordam. I have the cabin number upstairs if you are interested once your cabin is assigned. It did the job. We chose that category because it had a bathtub and was midship. Edited to add: I just read your latest post. I was about 4 doors from reception. I can get you the number if you want to change. Personally I wouldn't want to be under the Northern Lights. I would move cabin. We were originally near the Vista Lounge and moved due to our fear of noise and foot traffic.

I don't think changing is an option, as the cruise has been sold out for weeks. We had a Guaranty and this is the room assigned to us. I really didn't want to change, just want to be prepared.

Do you recall if there was additional storage over the couch? Somehow I doubt it, as it says the room is a quad.

I read about Kayef's cabin from hell (1829).:eek: We're in 1842 on Zaandam and I wondered if anyone knew anything about it. The shape seems to be irregular and it's just down the hall from 1829. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

We had this suite on the world cruise and you get a lot of noise from tables and chairs being moved on the Lido deck directly above us. It was especially annoying early in the morning (usually about 6:30 or 7:00) when the crew was cleaning the area. Every so often we would complain to the hotel manager and for a few days it wouldn't be so bad in the morning. I guess the guys were picking the chairs up intead of dragging them. You could also hear passengers scraping around in the chairs, but it was at a more acceptable hour. Why they don't get rubber tips for the chairs is beyond me. If not, HA should lower this cabin to SB as it is the last SA on the starboard side.

I have recently booked 6169 on Zuiderdam which is an aft deluxe suite on upper promenade. I could have 7087 which is a midship suite closer the the Neptune lounge. I do like being off the back, because we do spend time on our deck, and I am sure the cabin is plenty large, but does anyone have any pros and cons of either?

Thanks,

Jenna

We're booked in 6208 verandah (aft) on Zandaam. The deck plans show elevators near.

We have been near elevators before and didn't hear any noise.

How about Zandaam ?

The elevators are in an alcove. You shouldn't hear any noise from them at all. You may hear voices of people heading to/from the elevators, but that would be true anywhere.

btw---I love the Zaandam! She's so pretty with her musical theme.

I have recently booked 6169 on Zuiderdam which is an aft deluxe suite on upper promenade. I could have 7087 which is a midship suite closer the the Neptune lounge. I do like being off the back, because we do spend time on our deck, and I am sure the cabin is plenty large, but does anyone have any pros and cons of either?

Thanks,

Jenna

We always book a midship S suite because we love the concierge and other amenities of the Neptune and do use it a lot. In an aft on Upper Promenade we wouldn't trek up to the NL and would lose that perk. The midship suites are larger (I think) and the verandahs are more than big enough for us and guests. It's all a personal choice.

We like insides but are concerned about cabin size on a 50-day cruise.

What cabin category/deck? I'm familiar with the insides on Dolphin Deck.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Prinsendam cabins are smaller than the same category cabins on the S- or R-class ships. By a lot! :eek:

What cabin category/deck? I'm familiar with the insides on Dolphin Deck.

:eek:

We've booked Cabin 500 [forward port-side of the Dolphin Deck inside cabins], not our first choice in the group. We're used to about 180 square feet in inside cabins. What's this like? Does the walk-in closet inpact on the floor space [like the built-ins on the other ships]? I've asked our TA to check of the size, but trust past passengers more.

Thanks for any additional help.

Dave

We've booked Cabin 500 [forward port-side of the Dolphin Deck inside cabins], not our first choice in the group.

Great location. I was in 501---it was the only inside single (doesn't exist after the recent upgrade). I also visited in a double a few doors down---it was the same size.

This cabin is going to be tight for two, but do-able. The beds are at right angles to each other along adjacent walls. There's also a table and chair in the open space between the beds, and in front of the bureau/entertainment center. That takes up a lot of the walking area.

The walk-in closet is a very nice size, and leaves enough room to store your luggage. There's also good shelf space there, along with the safe.

The bathroom is big enough, as is the shower.

This would not be my first choice cabin size for two people, but if it was the only way to be aboard the Prinsendam, and I knew the person I was sailing with, I would be happy enough on the cruise.

The Prinsendam is truly the "Elegant Explorer".

bra1nchild, I've been thinking about this some more and am now wondering if the furniture was changed during the drydock. There was a chest of drawers, but it was not a desk with kneehole. It was a good size. And there was a large entertainment center that held the TV, fridge, ice bucket, glassware. There was also a nightstand, table, and chair.

All this might be different now. I was there in July, but the ship just had a lot of upgrades.

RuthC --

Thanks for the information. Based on last week's RCCL cruise in a 140 sq. ft. cabin, we changed to a Cat E across the hall from the Dolphin Deck insides. It alleges to be about 180 sq. ft., almost 30% larger. And almost 50% more expensive. Well worth the price if it preserves what by then will be a 40-year marrriage.

Dave

... we changed to a Cat E across the hall from the Dolphin Deck insides.

Excellent. If it's like the Dolphin Deck outside I visited it is a nice cabin. It's a wee bit tight getting by the bed (but that's true in most HAL cabins), but other than that I would like it for two people.

Have a great cruise.

I have recently booked 6169 on Zuiderdam which is an aft deluxe suite on upper promenade. I could have 7087 which is a midship suite closer the the Neptune lounge. I do like being off the back, because we do spend time on our deck, and I am sure the cabin is plenty large, but does anyone have any pros and cons of either? Thanks, Jenna

I think it depends on whether the aft veranda or the easy access to the Neptune is more important to you. For me, hands down I'd keep the aft suite. The view - and sound - of the wake, from those aft balconies, is not to be missed. And the Neptune will still be available, even though not as convenient. If you move, you gain only a small amount of convenience (plus a slightly larger suite - but you're right, 6169 will be plenty big), and you lose the unique experience of an aft veranda. Just my opinion.

I think it depends on whether the aft veranda or the easy access to the Neptune is more important to you. For me, hands down I'd keep the aft suite. The view - and sound - of the wake, from those aft balconies, is not to be missed. And the Neptune will still be available, even though not as convenient. If you move, you gain only a small amount of convenience (plus a slightly larger suite - but you're right, 6169 will be plenty big), and you lose the unique experience of an aft veranda. Just my opinion.

We agreed. We have been in an aft Suite (smaller even than this one) on the NCL Jewel and want the view, verandah size and sounds.

To continue the OP's idea, I thought I would pipe in with this tidbit. Pretty funny, actually, even at the time.

On our first cruise on Zuiderdam, we had an "I" guarantee. The price was right and I figured that with so few cabins in this category, we might luck out with a cabin assignment with a window. Well, we did and ended up with an obscured view. We were thrilled. At least we could see when it was daylight.

Well, it was a sea day and we slept in a little. We must not have closed the curtain all the way. And when they say obscured view, that obscuration is caused by a lifeboat. Well, as we were doing what many couples do on sea days before starting the day in public, we see a crewman walking past our obscured window! Obviously doing some maintenance on that lifeboat. We never did figure out if one could actually see in from the outside but he did seem to exhibit a bit of tact and it appeared that he did not stare too awfully long! :o

So, be careful of some of those cabins by the lifeboats.

We are a group on the Westerdam in rooms 6035,6037,6039 & 6041. Does anyone know anything about these rooms?

From our experience in 8021 (on another Vista) I can say that you will hear the elevator bells slightly in 39 and 41, but they are not annoying.

Have only read to post #80 on this thread (and on our landline, I'd be here til Tuesday if I tried to get all the way through!)

We are booked on the Ryndam in March; have a Category H guarantee, but no assignment. I don't quite know what that means...and when should be expect to actually know our cabin assignment? What are folks' impressions of the Cat H cabins?

Does the level of your accommodation reflect anything to do with your TA? I mean - if you have a TA who books a ton of HAL stuff, for instance, are they likely to have better cabins available to them than someone who is a once-in-a-while customer? As a HAL newbie, I've a ton of questions....

We never did figure out if one could actually see in from the outside

We've had lower promenade cabins on other HAL ships and wondered the same thing, so we looked carefully at the window from the outside. They are covered with a reflective sheeting so people can't see in easily unless you have lights on [and the curtains open, of course].

Archived