Whats the oddest thing you bring on your cruise?

Bisous3

A bit off topic, but...although I agree with Chlorox or Lysol wipes, we can do two things to improve the situation - ask cleaner to change gloves and/or report to Chief Housekeeper AND, most important, wash hands and use hand sanitizer frequently. Remember - you are constantly handling door knobs, elevator buttons, handrails, etc. and you have no idea when or if others have been washing their hands. Just watch for a few moments when in public bathrooms and you'll get really grossed out by the number of people who don't wash then handle the door handle to leave the room (which, of course, you'll touch after you wash your hands). Always use a paper towel to open that door! From a nurse who learned to do that many years ago in nursing school and now it's 2nd nature.

I never go on a trip w/o my bamboo back scratcher. I've got 'em every where. In all my suitcases, in both cars, next to my spot on the couch, in the computer room..you get the picture.

I also leave several clothes pins in my suitcase.It makes me crazy to be in a hotel with drapes that don't close all the way. Is there some law of physics that prevents drapes from closing and staying closed ? That crack in the curtains is like a death ray beam at the crack of dawn !

And of course it is just plain smart to have a big tote bag in your suitcase . I fill mine w/dirty clothes and put my treasures in my hardside suitcase for the trip home !

After reading so many posts, I will always carry a supply of ziplock bags. I never thot of the remote as being germ ridden..DUH. First thing I do when in a hotel room is throw the filthy , who knows what has been on it bedspread on the floor !! Talk about grossioso. I'm really glad so many hotels have switched to duvet covers.

Of course I'll never look at a hotel shower curtain the way again......MG

I bring larger zip lock baggies for dirty clothes. When I have worn something I squish it into a ziplock baggie and no dirty clothes to have to mess up something clean in my suitcase.

I also always take a small portable flashlight. I don't know why, I just always want to have a flashlight JUST IN CASE!

I also always take a small portable flashlight. I don't know why, I just always want to have a flashlight JUST IN CASE!

Hi Diedera,

I always bring a small flashlight so we can make our way to the bathroom without turning on all the lights.:rolleyes: :)

Kel

We were on a group cruise of 60 family and friends and at the last minute one of the gals couldn't go but her husband went anyway. We bought a lifesize blowup doll [no wisecracks please] and put a black full lenth dress and jewelry on her. We took a group photo on formal night on the grand foyer stairs with her husband standing next to the doll. My friend absolutely loved it and the stares and laughter from passersby and the photographer were a hoot.

For our 12 night Medit. cruise on the Millie, upon recommendation of another CC poster, I brought a $5 plastic over the door shoe holder to hang on my cabin closet door. It was very small to pack to bring. It was so helpful! Not just for my many shoes :o , but we also stuck room cards, $$, chapstick, combs and other small items in it and it really helped reduce the clutter around the room and at the bottom of the closets.

At the end of the cruise, I just left it in the cabin with a note to our Steward to use it, pass it on to anyone who can use it or toss it.

Enjoy,

Lynne

I'll second the plastic shoe holder. It keeps the surfaces of the bathroom uncluttered.

Last cruise we brought a small blender. We would bring up yogurt, fruit from breakfast and have an afternoon smoothie on the balcony. It was great.

Also brought a bungee cord for holding the balcony door open to get the breeze.

My DH says I pack too much but won't go anywhere without my handy-dandy pliers/screwdriver/etc. etc. tool.

Finally, we always bring a fannypack that holds 2 bottles of water for our shore excursions. We fill them up at the buffet and are ready to go.

Another item - not brought - but we discuss what we should do if one of us is accidentally left behind at a port? Would you leave the ship to search for the missing loved one or let them follow on their own to the next port? My 20 year old son is coming on this next cruise and it is a concern for me - he isn't a stickler for time.

Melissa

I have to say that my "odd essentials" don't seem quite so odd... I always take duct tape (have used it in the past to repair a broken suitcase zipper and a torn hem), ziplock bags, and bungee cords. I also bring along a supply of key OTC meds - pepto, immodium, etc - just in case.

As for "missing the boat" - my hubby and I have an agreement that if we get separated, we will go back to and get on the boat. We always take a credit card and passport along when we leave the ship, so that we'll have the means to get to the next port, if necessary. We've talked about the options, and decided it would be awful for us to get separated, and then have me miss the sailing while he's napping on the Promenade Deck... :-)

Archived