Whats the oddest thing you bring on your cruise?

Bisous3

I will second the clorox wipes, as well as a small ziplock with some Ajax in it (I cannot believe I am admitting this- I feel like Felix Unger!) and one of those disposable scrubbie sponges. Thats for the shower floor and started when my daughter was a toddler and I couldn't bear the thought of her bare bottom on the shower floor....

Call me crazy- what can I say?

Some people might think this is nuts- I am a real coffee affictionado, so I bring along my own Gevalia and my Brew and Go' coffee maker and enjoy my morning coffee when everyone is still asleep.

It also helps that I live near Ft. Lauderdale so don't have to fly to the port so I don't have to schlep my luggage through an airport nor have it weighed!

I always take a small can of lysol (due to the Norwalk virus outbreaks ... work next to the infection control nurses in a hospital) and spray the handles and knobs inside and just outside our room and don't forget , the romote control!! Throw it away as soon as my room is left with our germs only.

The oddest thing, however, is a collapsing hamper for the dirty clothes. They pack very lightly and are very useful. I learned from another thread that someone brings those suction cup hangers to stick in the shower for wet suits, etc. The line just doesn't provide enough space to hang wet clothing for several guests. Great idea...will use it on my next warm weather cruise.

We also bring little snack packs.

For the Caribbean I bring flamingo party lights and hang them in the room and a flamingo wind sock for the balcony when in port. One time on the Oosterdam we hit hurricane force winds and he nearly became a free range flamingo!!!!

Now I have to look for flamingo windowclings!!!

BTW I am a HAL cruiser--I hope my flamingos are suitable for the Galaxy in Feb!!!

We always take our Garmin GPS. Use it to see any islands we are cruising by and also to check out the ports.

We brought a GPS too, but we couldn't get reception in our cabin, or even out on the balcony, unless one of us stood near the rail and held it out -- which got old pretty fast.:)

I bring a big box of ginger snaps...in case of nausea. It takes up so much room in the carry-on. Only once did we need it. I usually leave it on the ship! I also take a few ginger tea bags. They return home for the next cruise!!

I have heard a lot about ginger on this board for nausea (I wonder if there is a reason "sea" is on the end of nausea?).

Perhaps a trip the the health food store should be put on my shopping list as I am cruising for the first time next month.

Is really helpful?

Shirley, I buy Bonine. We take one each night at bedtime, starting the night before the cruise. Maybe it's a crutch, but it seems to work. We also book inside cabins on the main level right behind the front desk. There have been times when pax were ill and we were surprised because we "live" in such a stable area. They can have their balconies and their suites. Give me an oasis of calm!

I don't know if this qualifies for weird or not, but next cruise I plan to bring pant hangers that hold 4 pairs of pants. I can pack them in my garment bag and just hang. There never seem to be enough pant hangers in the closet. I have a few more weird things, but can't remember them right now. I've been traveling with them so long now, they don't seem weird any more.

Mary Lou

I am a total believer in candied ginger for nausea! It truly works for most people if they just give it a try! I have given it to fellow cruisers who actually looked for me later to tell me how much it helped them! It has a sweet, hot taste and almost numbs your tongue. You can get it at "Trader Joes" if you have one. Or in the baking supplies in the grocery store (it's used in muffins sometimes). Bonine can just wipe some people out. At least with ginger, you don't have any side effects!

I go to the Dollar Tree and buy compressed washclothes. At a dollar each, I can throw out one every couple of days and have a fresh one with a different picture on it. Besides, it makes the bathroom colorful.

As for ginger, ginger ale does a great job too. I had forgotten about it until I was explaining about ginger to fellow passengers. My tummy was upset at the time, and it snapped that I needed a ginger ale. Drank them through out the cruise, and had no problem after that.

since ginger in any form works, I usually take a small container of ginger capsules. Seems strange for bars not to have ginger ale? But 24 version of Bonine works best for us. To combat the sleepiness felt by some (never happens to us) just take it at bedtime and get a good night's sleep in addition to no nausea. If you forget, just ask for it at guest relations.

Back to odd....a Rick Steve's portable clothes line. It's stretchy and braided...so no clothespins needed just push a piece of whatever you've washed through a loop. Works better than the string line in the shower.

Regarding the Clorox Wipes: have you ever noticed when the cabin steward cleans your cabin, s/he doesn't change their plastic gloves when they go onto the next cabin?!! Yuck!! There is no telling what they bring to your cabin!

You really need to go over surfaces previously mentioned with another set of wipes, after they "clean" your room, esp. the bathroom, door knobs, light switches, etc. I plan to do this on our next cruise. (We've only been on one cruise and I noticed this, and we were on the QM2!

Archived