Please, Please, Please

elou

Going on Sun in Dec. I've tried asking on the boards for Dominica, Barbados, Isla Margarita and Curacao about tours. Rarely get any answers. I've been on over 40 cruises and want to explore the culture of the islands. It seems everyone gives great advice about all the beaches, but I've grown up at the ocean most of my life and am not interested in beaches. Has anyone done any of the tours to SEE the islands. Since I sightsee alone (mom not interested), I feel safer using ship tours. I want to see Carib Indians in Dominica, what's best in Isla Margarita; maybe scenic drive in Barbados, and wonder if a walking tour in Curacao by myself is just as good as taking any tours. Please, has anyone done these tours? Also, everyone else, just enjoy your beaches. Thanks everyone.

Going on Sun in Dec. I've tried asking on the boards for Dominica, Barbados, Isla Margarita and Curacao about tours. Rarely get any answers. I've been on over 40 cruises and want to explore the culture of the islands. It seems everyone gives great advice about all the beaches, but I've grown up at the ocean most of my life and am not interested in beaches. Has anyone done any of the tours to SEE the islands. Since I sightsee alone (mom not interested), I feel safer using ship tours. I want to see Carib Indians in Dominica, what's best in Isla Margarita; maybe scenic drive in Barbados, and wonder if a walking tour in Curacao by myself is just as good as taking any tours. Please, has anyone done these tours? Also, everyone else, just enjoy your beaches. Thanks everyone.

We were on those islands last New Year; this is what we did.

Dominica: Booked a princess excursion: Dominica's Favorites; we enjoyed this very much

Barbados: Booked privately. I have a friend who lived in Barbados for a number of years so he arranged for someone to take us around the island

Curacao: We were there on Jan 1st; while our teenagers slept all morning my husband and I went into town (took the little fairy across to the main stores) and wondered around ourselves. In the afternoon the family went on the Curacao Highlights. I wouldn't recommend this. Our tour guide was new and was not very informative. The bus driver had to correct her a number of times.

Isla Margarita: Original booked a Day at the all inclusives Dunes, but after reading this board cancelled it and I'm glad I did. What we did do was walk to the beach located next to where the ship docked and spent the day there. Bay was ok, not great, but we enjoyed ourselves there. We also looked at some of the vendors along the way.

Hopefully, this will help. We were on the Star 11 days so we also did Aruba (my husband and sons golfed there) In St. Thomas in the morning my husband and I shopped...well I looked he stayed outside. All those diamond shops made him nervous. In the afternoon we went to St. John Trunk Bay Beach & Snorkel.

Hope this helps. We tried to mix up our excursions with some beach days; some island touring...travelling with teenagers we had to include some beach time for just lying in the sun. Enjoy your trip.

In Barbados we and another couple from our dining table just went out by the port and hired a taxi driver who seemed to have alot of personality for a tour of the island. He was very informative and took us all over explaining the history and culture of the area and stopped anyplace we wanted. We split the cost with the other couple and the price was very reasonalbe, although frankly I can't remember what it was now. I remember we agreed on a price with the taxi driver beforehand and then tipped him extra.

Barbados my in-laws took a ship's tour and had a good time. We hired a taxi with another couple and saw many of the same things, but I can understand if you are alone not wanting to do that.

Curacao the women just walked around, window shopping and had fun.

Isla Margarita 3 of us took a swimming with the dolphin tour. The driver didn't speak any English, the area where the dolphin were looked like the south Bronx in the early 80's. If we went back there, I'd just go to the little strip right off the dock.

Dominica two of us got off and walked around the part by the dock - the rest of us just stayed on the ship.

See my earlier post re Dominica....don't stay on the ship. Book an excursion. The princess excursion took us into the the rain forest and to this waterfall (sorry can't remember the name) We didn't have our bathing suits (which was too bad). It was great. Dominica is a great island. Its not commercialized the way other islands are...no resorts etc.

Its worth taking a tour!!! Saw Bamboo trees, etc...we really enjoyed it because it was so different. Our tour guide was friendly, full of information..

Going on Sun in Dec. I've tried asking on the boards for Dominica, Barbados, Isla Margarita and Curacao about tours. Since I sightsee alone (mom not interested), I feel safer using ship tours.
Elou, we are on your cruise and opted to use the Princess excursions because it seemed simpler and safer. On Curacao, we booked the Curacao Highlights & Hato Caves, 1:00-04:30. On Barbados, we booked the Island & Sunbury Plantation, 9:30-01:00. On Dominica, we booked the Rain Forest Drive & Jaco Falls, 11:00-02:30. Hope to meet you on one of these or at the Meet & Greet on Tuesday.

Steve

I agree with 2ndsailing. You must get away from the ship in Dominica. I feel sorry for those people who don't. They are really missing out on a beautiful country. Same for Isla Margarita. There is nothing around the area where you dock. You can see many things within walking distance in Curacao. FYI.... Dominica is pronounced Dom in eek a. (Accent on the eek) and Curacao is pronounced Cure a sow.

We did the ship's tour on Dominica to the rainforest and loved it. The bus ride up the mountain to the rainforest was half the fun. There is a great restaurant right across the way from where the ships dock, a white buidling on the corner bend, tremendous food.

I love dominica! have done a number of tours and lots of hiking there - just FABULOUS twice I went with Ken Hinterlands tour company last time was in 05' I sure you can google hima nd find it.

good luck - and definitely take a tour in Dominica!!

Agree with all of you. We LOVED Dominica, and definitely will do another cruise that goes there. We did a River tubing adventure that took us up to the forest. The island is not commercialized. It is the real thing. The town is not a string of stores with the same stuff as every other island.

Get off the ship, do some tour either through the ship or privately, and enjoy a fabulous experience.

My husband and I visited Isla Margarita on the Dawn, and loved the Historic Margarita and Porlamar half day tour.

We visited the capital of La Asuncion - which has an ancient cathedral that is just beautiful, we visited the home of Santiago Marino - a traditional colonial home and the beautiful pink stucco Shrine of the Virgin of the Fisherman in El Valle a little village nestled in the mountains (don't miss the museum, it's awe inspiring).

The final stop was a local marketplace (naturally) where there was music and dancing and you could buy local crafts and spirits.

The island was beautiful from it's lush mountains to it's sweeping beaches.The people were friendly and outgoing more than happy to share their culture and history.

I had thought about cancelling this tour because the shore excursions desk seemed less than thrilled with this stop, it has become one of my favorite cruise memories.

Do not usually use ships tours. Here is a web site of an American couple who give tours using a Ford Explorer. Did well by us. www.casatrudel.com/crusin-n-style.htm. They frequently are booked but send them an e-mail if you are interested. Bill

Margarita is a must see. Forget all the negative naysayers. They either never left the port, or took a ship tour (which is the WORST way to see this island)

I'll second okbowler, Steve and c-n-style is a good bet.

Dominica - Most beautiful island I have ever been to! It has active volcanos, natural heated pools, gorgeous rain forests etc. We went on a very strenuous hike to the falls. It was incredible. We got to go swimming in the pool at the bottom of the falls. For us brave enough to swim in the cool water. (being from Maine it was a breeze!)

Barbados - Went on a great bike ride. The guides did a fantastic job of telling us all about the island.

Curacao - We just walked around the town. The people are wonderful. All the buildings are painted pastel colors. Lot's of history there. So far the DH and I's second best island.

Isle Margarita - At the time we went, it was to unrest so we had to skip it. sorry.

Hope this helps! It is the best cruise we have been on so far. The islands down there are gorgeous.

Happy sailing!

Dominica is absolutely beautiful. As has been said, its not a resort island and the downtown area is not full of tourist stores. On our last trip there many in our group did the ship tour of the rainforest and on to the waterfalls. My wife and I decided just to do some shopping. After realizing that there wasnt a whole lot of shopping to be done, we hailed a cab and told him we wanted a tour. He took us to the same places that the ships tour did, plus many other places. Our cost was about half of what the ships price was. We had a great time. During our walk about town we were initially concerned that it might not be real safe. But after walking around for a short while we found the people to be extremely friendly and helpful. This island is definately one you have to get out and see!

I have been to all of these islands except Isla Margarita. Inexpensive taxi tours ($10-$15/pp) are available on Dominica, Barbados, and Curacao if you shop and don't buy the first tour you see. Often you have to wait until after the rush to get the best price but you don't have to book in advance.

We took this itinerary last year & did ship excursions:

Curacao- Highlights Tour

Isla Margarita- La Restinga Lagoon

Barbados- Francia House & Island Tour

Dominica- Layou Valley Tour

We felt we saw a good portion of each island and had varying experiences. If you have questions about a tour, please ask.

I agree with 2ndsailing. You must get away from the ship in Dominica. I feel sorry for those people who don't. They are really missing out on a beautiful country. Same for Isla Margarita. There is nothing around the area where you dock. You can see many things within walking distance in Curacao. FYI.... Dominica is pronounced Dom in eek a. (Accent on the eek) and Curacao is pronounced Cure a sow.

Don't feel sorry for me for staying on the ship in Dominica ;).

While I didn't get off the ship and experience the island, I had a fantastic day feeling like I was on a huge luxury yacht with some good friends and hubby and very few others.

I don't cruise for the ports, I cruise for the ship and the ocean.

That's one of the joys of cruising with a group - we can each do what we want to do. :)

I have also done the ship's tour of the rain forest hike to the waterfall in Dominica. Absolutely beautiful! Once you reach the waterfall, it is a bit steep down into the pool of water and most people didn't go in. I figured, when will I ever get back here, and went for it. Be sure you do too! Truly fantastic and one of the highlights of my cruise.

Archived