Arcadia to leave P&O fleet ?

libra-sue

Hi Ken

What a small world it is!! So you are on the Connie repositioning cruise out of Cape Liberty 5th Nov 07? We booked it whilst onboard the Zenith in September, got a great price plus $200 on board credit, hoping to stay on in Florida for a few days after the cruise too.

We didn't get to meet you on the Millie 2 years ago so maybe we will get to have that drink this time! There is quite an active thread for this cruise on the Celebrity roll call board, we already have enough folks for a cruise critic party and theres still almost a year to go!

In a way I wish we were cruising on Celebrity for our upcoming cruise. I'm sure we will like the Arcadia despite the understated decor, its the charter flights I'm concerned about, I keep reading about the awful delays, surely P&O can't keep allowing this to happen, oh well just have to keep our fingers crossed our flights are on time!

Bye for now

Lisa

Hi Lisa

Don't forget we were both on the Jewel of the Seas too!!! Yes we booked the Connie repositioning next November - just got two of the last balcony cabins (we are going with my sister and cousin). Couldn't believe it booked up so quick!!! The prices were very good on celeb.com so dread to think what price bargains you got!!! We are off on Century in a couple of weeks - how is the refurb? Have heard it wasn't finished properly before the first sailings!!!

I'm sure you'll enjoy Arcadia (not sure about the charter flights though!!! Can't remember which direction you're sailing on, are you flying into Barbados or Acapulco??) We spent time in the US before our Acapulco to Barbados so didn't have to endure what I heard were very disorganised flights!!! At least you have second dining - we (and hundreds more) had to endure first sitting and it did take the edge off the whole experience. Don't know why they have this problem - watch out for the queues to see the Maitre d' on the first day!!!

Will have to check out the rollcall for Connie but maybe in a few months time - lucky us have got 3 cruises lined up before and 1 after .... Lord keep business good so that we can afford to pay for them icon10.gif

best wishes

Ken

Hi Ken

I forgot about the Jewel of the seas cruise too!

I can't beleive how the Connie cruise has booked up so quick too, there were no CC cabins left when we booked back in September, we got one of the balcony cabins on the Penthouse deck with the bigger balconies towards the front of the ship, the price was very good and has risen several times since we booked and it had gone up a little since I checked the price before we got on the Zenith, but the onboard credit and my travel agents discount made up for it so it really was an unmissable deal!

Century has always been one of our favourite ships and I thought the improvements have made it even better (apart from losing the T pool!)

The Muranos restaurant has a similar menu to the Olympic ($30) and the staff take just as much pride in the service. They do have a wine pairing menu that is $100 + 15% service charge P/P which I thought was quite expensive but would be great for a special occaision, not that we need much of an excuse to indulge!

There were a few things that weren't quite finished but that didn't spoil our enjoyment, we were just glad to be on board and see some of the staff from our previous cruises. If you want to see some pictures we took of the ship click on these links:

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2881

http://www.cruisemates.com/gallery/view.php?id=2884

Its nice to have a few cruises lined up isn't it? My husband has made me promise not to book any more but its hard when I keep getting all these great offers e mailed to me ! The Century Norwegien fjords next May was another unmissable deal! I may as well pay my wages directly to Celebrity cruises!

Have a great time on the Century and spare a thought for us poor souls on the Thomas cook charter flights. We fly into Barbados and out of Acapulco.

Bye for now

Lisa

Superb photos Lisa - thank you!!! I had the feeling Century was a bit special. Well, we have taken this thread way off course!!! Let me just say that don't expect Celebrity interiors on Arcadia and you won't be disappointed. Watch out for the carrots too - I became obsessive .... they served carrots (albeit silver service) nearly every day. Thought that was taking the 'Brits at sea' thing a bit too far (you could get 'fish and chips' in some form every lunchtime in The Belvedere).

Will no doubt talk again on the Connie rollcall!!! (Can't believe its so long already!!!)

Cheers

Ken

We are travelling on the Arcadia in a few days and I'm going with an open mind. You'll be arriving as we depart.

I don't envy you your charter flight back from Acapulco - good luck!

Enjoyed your photos of Century - we've travelled on her twice (pre refit) and for us she's perfect but I was saddened to hear that they've removed the Thalassotherapy pool as we both loved spending time there.

Glenndale

Hope you have a great time and the flights are not delayed.

Sorry for going off the topic, I get a bit carried away talking about cruising!

Enjoy Arcadia, I'm sure it will be great, got to be better than staying here!

Glad you both liked the photos, Ken - I will be watching out for the carrots! They put carotene in some suntan lotions so we should come back with a golden tan at least!!!

Lisa! So happy to have found you! Do you remember John & Amber from Ohio? We sailed with you in May of 2005 on BOS. As it turned out, we were lucky enough to finally get pregnant on that cruise! Needless to say, we've had our hands full for the last 18 months! We had a little boy, Alexander. He is the light of our lives. We are planning another cruise for next March (Western Caribbean) on NCL's Sun.

Hope you and Andy are doing well! It appears you've been on a several other cruises since we last met. We would love to hear about your favorites as we are always looking for another fabulous itinerary!

• 2 weeks later...
Just hope we don't get the "she's not Oriana" brigade on our dinner table!

We did the Canaries on Arcadia in October and quite liked the ship......

The biggest detraction by far was the "she's not Canberra" brigade..... almost everyone on board was a member! Not many people mentioned Oriana, and nobody at all mentioned Aurora (our particular favourite)...

Compared to a Caribbean cruise on Zuiderdam, a H&A vista class, we found that Arcadia is a little plainer in decor (not a bad thing) and has by far the better crew.

Now if Aurora was adult only......

Having been on both Zuiderdam and Arcadia I can honestly say there is no difference in the layout apart from the Cunard inspired 'Grill' restaurant and bar infront of the funnel.

There are a few slight differences around the Atrium area too.....

Zuiderdam has a bar at the foot of the Atrium, quite nice too.

The bar at the top of the Atrium is open on Arcadia, whilst it is more enclosed (and to the side) on Zuiderdam.

Arcadian Rhodes has a solid wall, while H&A's restaurant has glass windows looking out on the atrium.

By the main swimming pool bar.....

A seating area with "trees" on Zuiderdam is an attractive feature which is missing on Arcadia.

In the Spa....

The nozzles on the massage jets in the thermal pool are smaller, and the tiled heated loungers in the thermal suite are a different, (less comfortable) shape on Zuiderdam (now that's getting picky)

And for the saddest difference of all.....

Zuiderdam's blue hull is more attractice than P&O's white hull, but I don't like the white funnels at all.:eek:

We did the Canaries on Arcadia in October and quite liked the ship......

The biggest detraction by far was the "she's not Canberra" brigade..... almost everyone on board was a member! Not many people mentioned Oriana, and nobody at all mentioned Aurora (our particular favourite)...

Compared to a Caribbean cruise on Zuiderdam, a H&A vista class, we found that Arcadia is a little plainer in decor (not a bad thing) and has by far the better crew.

Now if Aurora was adult only......

I agree she is not Canberra or Oriana or Aurora and what a good job, why would you want to go on a new ship that was the same as the old one. I have never met any of the "she's not Canberra" brigade, which is a pity because I would have a great deal of fun with them.

As I have said before I think this attitude is fading away as I did not come across it on J625 recently.

Having recently received P&O's preview brochure showing the interior design plans for Ventura my impression is that the colour palette looks very similar to Arcadia. Anyone else think this? If it is being planned to be more similar to Arcadia's modern design than Oriana and Aurora this suggests that rumours of Arcadia leaving the fleet can't be true. (By the way I have nothing against Oriana or Aurora.)

Similarly I continue to notice that late fare bargains on Arcadia cost a lot more than Oceana which suggests that it is Oceana that has more available space close to sailing dates.

The mistake P&O made with Arcadia was in buying a ship that had been specifically design for the US market. The design of the ship is very open, very un-private. Consequently there are very few places where you can go for a nice relaxing tea or coffee and perhaps read a newspaper or book without the constant hussle and bussle of hundreds of people walking past you. The main walkways and corridors run right through the lounges, bars and cafes.

I will look forward to the Ventura but of course Aurora and Oriana will always remain the cream of the fleet.

I cannot accept that Arcadia's flaws are because it was designed for the US market hence the walk through style bars. My only experience of US designed ships are with Coral & Island Princess and most of their bars are seperate areas accessed from any walkway rather than being part of it, and from reading CC threads I suspect that most Grand class Princess ships follow this design.

However I also agree that it's design is not to my taste, but I doubt that it could be altered without a major refit which is unlikely to happen in the foreseeable future. So I suspect that P&O are stuck with her, unless they can palm her off onto the Aussies, serve them right for hammering us in the Ashes. :rolleyes:

Archived