Cell Service At Sea - questions and comments (merged)

BillB48

We only use it during the initial sail away because my brother calls to wish us a good trip and to hear the ships horn when we pull out of port. It's a tradition!! :p . Then we throw the sucker overboard....er... I mean turn it off and pack it away until we get home.

While we're on the cell phone topic, I live in Connecticut and it is now illegal to talk on your phone while driving.....THANK GOODNESS!!! Of course people still do it, as there's always people that feel laws don't apply to them, but they really do enforce it and I think it's great!!

Laura

Any American port or a U.S. territory will get service on almost any carrier. It's the foreign ports you need to watch out for! Most, you won't get a signal, and many times, if you do get a signal, the cost will be pretty damn high!

We were told before our cruise..if we used our cell phone in Bayonne..we would be charged 4.95 a min. Not matter what company you had.

It depends on your plan. I have Verizon and can call all of America & Canada and not be charged, even from on the ship docked in Bayonne. Why were you charged...for being in the city of Bayonne (out of your calling area), or because your cell was picked up by the ship's service? I'm confused.....:confused:

We were told before our cruise..if we used our cell phone in Bayonne..we would be charged 4.95 a min. Not matter what company you had.

Why would you be charged for roaming when calling from Bayonne?? That makes no sense. What if you live there and shopped in the store outside the port?? Would you then be charged?? Of course not. Maybe when you get out to sea roaming kicks in but not in port unless you don't have NJ in your calling area (which I doubt as most plans now have the US incalling area)

It depends on your plan. I have Verizon and can call all of America & Canada and not be charged, even from on the ship docked in Bayonne. Why were you charged...for being in the city of Bayonne (out of your calling area), or because your cell was picked up by the ship's service? I'm confused.....:confused:

I think they misunderstood or were given bad gouge from someone. The ships' cell phone service is turned off while in port, they don't turn it on until the ship is an hour out to sea, and they turn it off an hour before they come in from sea. The ships aren't licensed to provide cell phone service except out to sea. They would have to pay big fines if they disrupted local cell phone communications.

my dh brings his phone- he checks his messages- if something needs to be taken care of he does- leaves the phone in the cabin- we also check on our kids daily- and they can call us this way to- seems my dh has gotten lucky with deals while on a cruise................lucky for me he feels going brings him luck...........this way i get to go more........lol but he does not chat for nothing around the ship annoying others..........keeps that in our cabin....lol.....as long as i get to go.............does not bother me! and we seem to celebrate more as his luck comes in.....................:)

so i vote to keep cell phones as allowable on the ships

I am like you, I look forward to having a lovely relaxing vacation away from the "preppies" who can't seem to do anything without a cell phone glued to their ear...

The reality is, if there was any emergency with any of my family members there is nothing I could do about it on board.

Do cell phones float is thrown overboard anyway??

I am like you, I look forward to having a lovely relaxing vacation away from the "preppies" who can't seem to do anything without a cell phone glued to their ear...

The reality is, if there was any emergency with any of my family members there is nothing I could do about it on board.

I think it's each person's decision whether or not to bring a cell phone. I cannot imagine being without one since i'm leaving my 1 year old with his grandparents. I NEED to be in touch daily. If someone see's me on the phone, they won't know the circumstances behind it. To wish that I, or someone else, falls off the ship is just a shocking statement regardless of how you feel about cell phones.

Not as annoying as those confounded walkie talkie - let's pretend we're truck drivers' devices- - - "breaker, channel nine for the rubber duckie..."

true.......Walkie talkies are particularly annoying as you have to listen to both ends of the conversation......usually mindless dribble....:rolleyes: ........rubber duckie..out.

Sometimes you can't do anything, other times you can. If I have my phone and something critical goes out at home, I can call a repairman, make arrangesments to get the problem fixed and hopefully have it taken care of by the time I get home.

If it's a medical emergancy, there may not be much I can do but, I can also make the decision to end the vacation and fly home (travel insurance might be handy on this one) if necessary. I'd hate to come home only to find that I know have to rush to make arrangements to make it to a funeral.

It's not that you can always change the course of fate but, you can change your course to meet what fate deals out. In that instance, the cell phone can be pretty darn beneficial.

dougp26364:

I always felt it was nice to go out to eat without having the phone ring (wife's or someone else's). I'm annoyed when we're eating dinner out, her phone rings, she answers it and then has a conversation with whomever is on the phone, ignoring the meal we've just paid for for who knows how long. IMO, cell phones in certain area's are just rude. But, that's just my opinion.

I mean no offense to your DW (and if you can put up with it, more power to you), but does she really do this? I agree with you that cell phones at the dinner table are rude (unless it's an emergency, of course). I cannot imagine chatting away while my dinner gets cold and my DH, whom I enjoy spending time and talking with, has to sit there twiddling his thumbs. IMO, it's just flat rude to ignore the person you are actually with in favor of someone on the phone--whom can easily be told, "Sorry, we're having dinner (or whatever) right now. I'll call you back later." Does your DW know how you feel? Have you mentioned how and why it bothers you? If not, I think you should have a chat with her and explain your feelings. She may not even realize how much it bothers you.

Believe me, if I did that, my DH would let me know it bothered him. He wouldn't be nasty or mean, he would simply wait until later and tell me exactly how he felt. However, this would not happen because I put the phone on "sounds off" when we are out to eat, at a show, or anywhere else where it might be considered rude to have a phone ring or a phone conversation going. (I have to confess though that once at a movie I forgot to turn off the sounds, and sure enough, my phone rang during the movie. I didn't even realize it was mine at first, but when I did I picked it up and dashed out the back of the theater. The real kicker was that is was a wrong number!)

We take our cell phones with us, but don't use them on the ship. They are handy to have on land or if the airline needs to contact us or if I need to check on my mom. They're also nice to have if we're on land and DH wants to go to A, but I want to stop at B. Then we can split up for a little while, but keep in contact.

beachchick

Well, perhaps after you have had your car totalled by some idiot yacking on a cell phone and not seeing the stop sign and nearly killing you, your family and themselves your opinion may change. As regards to your statement about children, children are people, not tech devices and I do not ever complain about them unless they are unruly and their parents are ignoring the situation. I also do not complain about emergency use of cell phones... but I certainly do object to them being used as time killers while driving and in areas where other people are forced to hear whatever nonsense you choose to spew! If you were to look at the real statistics as to how many accidents are caused by people not paying attention while on cell phones you might be surprised.

And what does the above have to do with using cell phones on a cruise ship??? There aren't even bumper cars onboard a cruise ship...

Your post is the one suggested that people who violate your sensitivities should fall overboard...

LL

I own my own bussiness an i have to bring my phone, but i go a lone by my self half hr in morning half hr in afternoon. never carrie it around waiting for personal calls. i dont like to talk to anybody on vacation. Oh maybe all the cruiseing friends i meet :cool:

Jim - does your cell phone really stay home? Be honest - you don't have it tucked away in case of an illness or flight delays or a pick up at the airport?

I think people yakking on the phone can be annoying, but yes - I think you are blowing it all out of proportion.

Maddle

Mine does. I use email to stay in contact and if anything THAT serious comes up, I'll just borrow yours. :) (Or pay the $8.95/minute)

Personally...whether or not my cell phone works at sea is of little concern to us, if any family members need to reach us for an amergency we will leave intructions how to reach us via ship phone.

With all due respect, thanks for that:confused:. It added a lot to the conversation about whether or not a Verizon cell phone would work while out to sea.

Is there some sort of new plan where phones can be used onboard where they used to not be?

(I thought the falling off the ship while talking was funny, btw.)

It appears there is some new technology being put in that allows cell phone signals to be received and sent while at sea. I am glad you saw the humor in my tongue in cheek jest. Others on this board have jumped all over me already and even accused me of actually wishing cell phone users dead! How sad to have such closed minds and not see an obvious jest (yes, it even had a grin emotionicon with it!)

Then when i attempted to clarify why i am opposed to cell phones being used for non emergency idle chat they jumped all ovwer me for that to! Remarks about there not being cars on cruise ships. NO DUH. Not the point!

The point I was trying to make and will now attempt to make again is that cell phones are a wonderful tool for emergencies but can be very dangerous and distracting if used while doing other things such as driving. It can also be very annoying to others around you as people tend to raise voices while on cell phones and you are subjecting them to listening to your conversation when they may want some peace and quiet. They are invasive in public spaces such as restaurants, etc.

If you must talk on a cell phone please find a space where you are not impacting others and definately do not use it while driving. As regards cruise ships, every trip i have taken there has been a phone in my cabin. No need for me to have a cell phone on board. Jusr as a side note that probably isn't really relevant but I once even had a problem with my set sail pass and credit card and the purser let me call my bank from his office on his dime to clear it up! No cost to me for a very lengthy call. I really believe the crew will work with anyone having a true emergency and I would certainly hope the cruise line would not be worried about the cost of a call for a passenger to handle the crisis.

Ok, al you cletourn haters... go ahead and flame me again!

Archived