Transderm Scop (Seasick Patches)

sasset

Just tried to fill a prescription for the patches here in Southern California. The Pharmacist said that for the past three months the manufacturer has diverted all inventory to Iraq with no date as to when local pharmacies may be restocked. The medicine is also used for post-op issues dealing with anesthesia side effects, so that may be why it's going to Iraq. Long's, CVS and Walgreens were all out. I was able to locate enough for the prescription at a small local pharmacy that doesn't do the volume of the large chains...the patches have a two to three year shelf life.

Just thought I'd share, should anyone run into the same issue.

Regards

I had a hard time getting them here in Central Kentucky, too. Was able to get them, after a few weeks wait, but they didn't give an explanation as to why they were difficult to come by.

Thanks for the info.

Just tried to fill a prescription for the patches here in Southern California. The Pharmacist said that for the past three months the manufacturer has diverted all inventory to Iraq with no date as to when local pharmacies may be restocked. The medicine is also used for post-op issues dealing with anesthesia side effects, so that may be why it's going to Iraq. Long's, CVS and Walgreens were all out. I was able to locate enough for the prescription at a small local pharmacy that doesn't do the volume of the large chains...the patches have a two to three year shelf life.

Just thought I'd share, should anyone run into the same issue.

Regards

Ok this concerns me, as I am very prone to motion sickness and I am traveling to Europe in a few weeks for a cruise on the Galaxy.

Does anybody know if you can take your prescription and get it filled in Rome if I can't find it here?

You cannot even fill a prescription written by a US physician unless they are licensed to practice medicine in the US state where the prescription is being filled. I would assume Italy would not honor a prescription. Go to a small family pharmacy and you will probably find what you need. I had no problem 2 weeks ago.

You cannot even fill a prescription written by a US physician unless they are licensed to practice medicine in the US state where the prescription is being filled. I would assume Italy would not honor a prescription. Go to a small family pharmacy and you will probably find what you need. I had no problem 2 weeks ago.

Thank you Betty4, I will try that.

Just so that I am not spreading false rumours:

I called Novartis, the manufacturer of Transderm Scop. The rep said that although there has been a supply shortage, it was not because it has been all shipped to Iraq (as my pharmacist had told me earlier today). She wouldn't elaborate. She said that they expect to start shipping to pharmacies again the third week of November.

Regards

I had no problem getting the prescription but boy oh boy beware of the side effects! First the dry mouth was extremely bad and then we sat down in the dining room and I realized I could not see the menu!! Yes, I had my glasses on :) , I did not like it! Another passenger said her doctor had told her to cut them in half. I tried that and had no side effects after that and even though we had a couple of days of rough seas, no nausea.

If your health insurance has a mail-in prescription plan, use it! The savings are great. We have Federal Employees Blue Cross/Blue Shield (Anthem or whatever they call it now!) I mail in the Rx and get 16 patches for $35!!! I think the price for 4 without prescription coverage is about $60. In Canada you don't need a prescription and they are cheap!

Nothing else works for me except the patch. I do get dry mouth, blurry vision and a bit drowsy with a whole patch. My doctor also said to try cutting it in half. That works great. With a half patch, I have a tiny bit of dry mouth but it's worth it not to be sea sick. Be sure to wash your hands thoroughly after touching/cutting the patch.

We cruised with 18 people once. 12 used the patch and only 3 had any of the side effects...2 had minor effects and I had the worst (with a whole patch).

Sasset, I think your pharmacist used too many patches:) . My wife refilled hers in Seal Beach at the end of August and had no problems having her perscription handled. Motion sickness patches in Iraq? From what, riding in too many Humvees?

As for side effects, DW has had dry mouth and occasionally blurred vision, but if you don't over medicate, it doesn't seem to be too bad--speaking as an observer (I don't do patches myself). One thing she does on a long layover like overnight in port, is take off her patch and reapply it before setting sail the next day. But you do have to take it, as she learned in Tahiti. Left if off because we thought the sea was flat (at least to me) and she missed the theme dinner.

Sasset, I think your pharmacist used too many patches:) . My wife refilled hers in Seal Beach at the end of August and had no problems having her perscription handled. Motion sickness patches in Iraq? From what, riding in too many Humvees?

It is my understanding they use it in Iraq for the soliders coming out of surgery to combat vomiting.

I will gladly give up mine, and take something over the counter, if it helps one soldier.

There was a period of a year or so in the 90's when the patches were off the market...something to do with a problem with the delivery system from the patch to the skin. My doctor said that if we found a pharmacy that has a pharmacist that will do formularies (I think that was the word) we could still get the scopalamine. We checked and there were three pharmacists in our area that could do it. We were given a plunger type thing that had the scopalamine cream in it. The instructions were the push out the marked amount onto a wrist and rub it in thoroughly. We did it every day after our showers. It worked really well. Less side effects than the patch. You may be able to find someone to do it if you can't find the patches. Try a neighborhood pharmacy not a chain drug store.

My sister warned me away from the patch because of the side effects. I keep bonine and wrist bands handy but have never had to use anything. Only one day in 6 cruises have I felt any nausea. and that would have subsided sooner if I had stopped reading. The newer, larger ships are very stable and unless the seas are really horrendous, you probably won't feel much of anything.

The newer, larger ships are very stable and unless the seas are really horrendous, you probably won't feel much of anything.

Gosh. I am probably one of the only ones who will argue this statement. But here goes. We were on a "large" ship (DCL) and we felt a lot of movement. The first cruise we took had 30 foot seas and gale force winds. Yes, you would expect movement on that cruise. All we had was bonine. I did not get sick, but my husband did.

So we were prepared for the second cruise. Husband had the patches. Thank goodness. The seas were not bad at all. Probably 5 to 7 foot at it's worse and he was still queasy (and that was with the patch). He did not get sick like the first time, and he was able to function. But yes, for us anyway, you can feel the movement on the ship. Even the smaller waves.

""""You cannot even fill a prescription written by a US physician unless they are licensed to practice medicine in the US state where the prescription is being filled. I would assume Italy would not honor a prescription. Go to a small family pharmacy and you will probably find what you need. I had no problem 2 weeks ago.""""

I think you should go to another pharmacy and check this out. If a physician writes a prescription for a patient and the drug is within the scope of his or her practice it can be legally filled in another state.

I filled mine at the end of September with no problem. But I couldn't keep the first one on, so I gave up. Ended up not having a problem until heading back in and hit rough weather. We were on a mega ship. I didn't have the issue with the patch when I've worn it before but it was nice not to even have to worry about that.

In the US the price for 4 patches without a discount from your health insurance is about $60!!! So $11.99 for 2 is really cheap. We went on an Alaska cruise with a friend who said she never got seasick. We had gone early and did a Victoria Clipper package to Seattle/Victoria/Vancover. On the ferry trip from Victoria to Vancouver she got seasick. I did not bring any extras to give her. The concierge at the hotel sent her to the pharmacy next door. She needed no prescription and bought 4 patches for around $20!!!

I had no problem getting the prescription but boy oh boy beware of the side effects! First the dry mouth was extremely bad and then we sat down in the dining room and I realized I could not see the menu!! Yes, I had my glasses on :) , I did not like it! Another passenger said her doctor had told her to cut them in half. I tried that and had no side effects after that and even though we had a couple of days of rough seas, no nausea.
I also had a really weird side effect of seeing small animals, i'd be very careful with alcohol consumption with these patches, why not try some ginger pills first and see if that works? Whatever works for you, be careful and have a great time

""""You cannot even fill a prescription written by a US physician unless they are licensed to practice medicine in the US state where the prescription is being filled. I would assume Italy would not honor a prescription. Go to a small family pharmacy and you will probably find what you need. I had no problem 2 weeks ago.""""

I think you should go to another pharmacy and check this out. If a physician writes a prescription for a patient and the drug is within the scope of his or her practice it can be legally filled in another state.

I believe you are right about that, because when I have been vacationing in Florida or Washington state I have had prescriptions filled that I have forgotten back home without any problems. They just have to call your family doctor to authorize it.

Archived