Review - Our 34 Day Cruise On Veendam - Panama And Amazon River - Final

Aussie Gal

We are on the last days of our wonderful cruise. On Saturday we disembark in Tampa and after a city tour we will board our plane for San Francisco via Chicago. We will spend 4 days in S.F. before flying home arriving on Friday next week.

What a fantastic cruise we have had. Besides seeing so many wonderful and varied sights we have had the most marvellous weather one could ever hope for on a holiday. Everyday since arriving in Vancouver we have woken to blue skies and since we have been on the ship, the seas have been just so calm. We have only had rain once and that was in Paratins for one and a half hours and didn't ruin anything.

We left the Amazon river last Saturday crossing the sand bar at 7am. We then spent that day and Sunday at sea before arriving in Barbados on Monday. We went on a great tour with Cameron Reid, a very informative guide who took us around the whole island. As it is not that big it only tour around 3 and a half hours. We spent some time shopping in Bridgetown before returning to the ship.

Yesterday we were in Santa Barbara de Samana in the Dominican Republic. We were anchored off shore so tendered in to the small town. There was not a lot to see but we did organize with a chap to take us out to a small island for a swim so after returning to the ship to get our swimming gear we met him and went on a 10 minute motor boat ride to the most beautiful island we have ever been on. It is called Cayo Levantando and with its white, white soft sand and aquamarine water, it was heaven. There was tons of shade and lounge chairs to lie on but the biggest thrill was the lovely clear, warm water with a sandy bottom. We spent a couple of hours there with a lovely couple from Canada. It was a great way to finish off all the fantastic ports we have been to on this cruise.

Meantime, on the ship life has been busy. We have had some great lectures including one about "Surviving at Sea" where we were shown what a rubber dingy is like inside, what sort of rations we would be provided with and also the flares etc. It was most informative. We have also had lectures on Marine Life, Outer Space etc. from wonderful speakers.

On Sunday night we had our Mariners Cocktail Party for the two late sittings and the lounge was full. There are very few first cruisers on this ship. On Tuesday afternoon we had our 4th get together with our Cruise Critic Group in the Crows Nest. This was the second one we were all brought a bottle of wine per couple and the ship provided great nibbles. Also on Tuesday night we had the Signature Chef's dinner which was fun but could get quite boring if it was repeated on every cruise.

Tonight is our final formal dinner and of course tomorrow is the day we have to pack. The time has gone by so quickly. I can remember that Sunday in Vancouver when I was unpacking and thinking how great it was that I wouldn't need to pack again for over 34 days. Well the time has come and as usual all good things must end but we will leave here with fantastic memories of an exciting and happy voyage.

We will spend four days in San Francisco and will be doing a few tours which we are looking forward to then we have the long haul home. S.F. to L.A. and L.A. to Melbourne via Sydney which we are not thinking about at the moment.

Jennie

Rita,

Thanks for your kind words. I am always reluctant to post a review in case people find it boring, but as I was asked before I went on this cruise to do some sort of review when I returned, I decided to keep the emails I sent to our friends and use them as a review.

Jennie

Jennie, a really detailed and wonderful review. A question - several years ago I went up the Orinoco river in Venezuela. We were on the Rotterdam. One morning we woke up to find the whole promenade deck covered with beetles. Did anything like that happen on your trip?

Robert

Jennie, a really detailed and wonderful review. A question - several years ago I went up the Orinoco river in Venezuela. We were on the Rotterdam. One morning we woke up to find the whole promenade deck covered with beetles. Did anything like that happen on your trip?

Robert

We didn't actually see many insects. On the first day in the Amazon Peter went out on the verandah early in the morning and saw some very large insects stuck to the ship but that was the only day that we actually saw anything unusual. Because it was the dry season, we didn't see one mosquito - in fact we stopped taking the anti malaria tablets after our visit to Boca Da Valeria - as we discovered that even the crew do not take any sort of medication.

Jennie

Jennie, this was a marvelous journal to read. Thank you so much for taking all of us along on your ride!

And please, don't ever be reluctant to post a journal or review of any of your cruises. It was a pleasure reading along! :) You've actually intrigued me into thinking about this itinerary---hot/humid though it may be.

Jennie,

David and I enjoyed reading your review. He has spent the best part of the last couple of days wading through discs and digital pictures trying to select the best shots and put the trip in some semblance of order to show friends and family.

We agree with you that it was an exceptional trip. We did a lot of similar excursions and a few that were different, but we enjoyed them all.....well, all except the one where I was hit in the face by a flying fish....and I was enjoying that one until the fish showed up!

Like you, we sat on our balcony for hours just watching the river go by, waving to the people in their small canoes and standing along the shore, watching the dolphins and birds, and just trying to grasp the reality of living on the Amazon. Our cabin was on the dock side in Manaus, and it was absolutely fascinating watching the activity on the docks and seeing the boats and people coming and going. I only wish we could have had more time in Brazil because it was so interesting.

It was nice meeting you and Peter. As I mentioned to you, I'll be looking forward to hearing your thoughts on your Tahiti-Hawaii trip next summer. Perhaps I'll check into your roll call board when the time gets closer for a few pointers, since we won't be going until August

Pat

no review is boring.

There's always some insight to be gained.

at worst it makes it difficult to wait for the next vacation.

The wife and I are seriously considering a short one sometime 1qtr 2007 because we need a break after 6 weeks since our last.

but we may just do a few B&B's to tide us over.

I'm considering developing a hydraulic bed shaker that will roll us to sleep...

John,

Thanks. It was a fantastic itinerary and we did have a wonderful cruise. We had a vibrant group of Roll Call members which we are still all corresponding with on the HAL Roll Call Board. We met four times altogether, the last two being bring a bottle of wine per couple. The Veendam staff were very accommodating and supplied us with hot nibbles and glasses plus a room. It was great fun.

Jennie

Heather,

Unfortunately our computer died on us last week and I have been without one so didn't receive your email.

We are at present holidaying in Tasmania - Hobart - and where we are staying has free internet so am using theirs. We will be back home again next Monday after 8 lovely days here.

I needed a holiday to get over the "big trip"!! Just kidding, this has been planned for a year. We are meeting up with 8 couple in Launceston for the weekend to enjoy good food and wines.

Jennie

AAA American,

I heard from our computer people yesterday and fortunately our hard disc is still ok so they are going to incorporate the hard disc into a brand new speedier and larger PC so hopefully all our info will be saved.

Yes, you are right we are looking for a Tasmanian Tiger, hoping to get thousands of dollars if we come across one. Fat chance!

The weather has been very iffy but we are having a wonderful time, there is so much to see in Hobart if you visit for a day on one of the ships. I would hate to have to choose what to do.

Jennie

Aussie Gal,

Yes thats a great reason now to incorporate a BackUp on an extermnal Disc so yoiu are able to retrive DATA if needed again ..but in a worse circumstance.

To maybe sight that feline (Thylacinus cynocephalus)..wish is was a Red Panda... but ask about the herbal scents it enjoys and stimulates it offacteries.. as that would be the best way to get a time photo..

Do you know of an Austalian Woman in the Aus. Millitary in Africa J. Para (August) ? She has done a lot of work with primates as well felines in Africa where I was before.

My fav is the Pangolin.. but none ever have been know to exist in capativity ever! The elec fences kill so many too they are like armadillos and jump up when frightened..

On Hobart Days ...that is an obstacle in any nice area I like exploring...

AAA American,

I heard from our computer people yesterday and fortunately our hard disc is still ok so they are going to incorporate the hard disc into a brand new speedier and larger PC so hopefully all our info will be saved.

Yes, you are right we are looking for a Tasmanian Tiger, hoping to get thousands of dollars if we come across one. Fat chance!

The weather has been very iffy but we are having a wonderful time, there is so much to see in Hobart if you visit for a day on one of the ships. I would hate to have to choose what to do.

Jennie

wildlife_tigerfootprint.gif.2922ae737dd4f1e8323a4312be0d4820.gif

Nice write up Jenny, and it was nice to meet you :) Sorry to hear about your computer. We had two die in Acapulco when we got back. I'm sure the drives will be ok on them, but we're definitely looking at new motherboards :( Fortunately for me, I build them myself :)

Rita,

Thanks for your kind words. I am always reluctant to post a review in case people find it boring, but as I was asked before I went on this cruise to do some sort of review when I returned, I decided to keep the emails I sent to our friends and use them as a review.

Oh, I never, ever find reviews boring. In fact, the longer the better is my motto. There is no way each one of us could cruise as much as we would like, and reading the reviews and travelogues of others is one way that we can at least virtually travel to all sorts of places that we may never physically get to ... or at least not anytime soon.

Again, thank you!

Blue skies ...

--rita

Thank you for writing a review. I enjoyed reading it, especially as we have been on the Veendam. James Russell-Dunford was our Captain. We liked him very much. Was he at the helm of your cruise, too?

Who was the Cruise Director?

Although we enjoyed our cruise on the Veendam very much, there was an area near the dining room that was often very malodorous. Did you experience that?

Archived