Conquest late today into Galveston. (Man Overboard Thread)

Hypo

I think the increase in the number of overboards is indicative of the increase in the popularity of cruising. I believe that there are troubled souls who get on a cruiseship after listening to the hipe believing that cruising will "make them feel happy" or "make them not be sad". When that doesn't happen' date=' for a despondent few, well . . . . . . :(

Not the cruiseline's fault.[/quote']

Whether you were joking or not, this could be an insightful post.

Dan

I haven't seen anyone "blame" the cruise line??

I blame the cruiselines. They should have guards on every deck and balcony to make sure they don't loose their passengers.

From the not missing but mislaid department: Monday CND ran an article about a Fascination passenger who reported that her cabinmate wasn't in her cabin when she woke up. After searching the ship it turned out he was missing, and the Coast Guard was called in to search the path the ship had sailed since he was last seen. One cruise executive dropped us a line to let us know that these days more often than not when a cabinmate is reported "missing" and not in the cabin in the morning, it turns out that the person somehow managed to be sleeping in the wrong cabin, and is amazed that the person in bed with them isn't their original cabinmate. I guess one bed was too hard, and they checked another one that was too soft and they kept going until they found one that was j-u-s-t right.

Why would one think it is Carnivals fault if someone does not know how to use common knowlegde. I read on another site that the man was drinking and he climbed up on his balcony and tried to crawl over to his friends balcony.:confused: Personally, IMO, if you have too much to drink in a bar they cut you off...all cruiselines should do this as well, reguardless of the passengers, wanting to have "fun". Maybe the cruiselines could prevent this from happening if they had safety rails on the balconys. This is why I chose window instead of balcony...not worth the risk of freak accidents I have to much to live for. My prayers go out to the families for their loss.

This has been a very interesting thread, but I would like to give my two cents. There is a big difference in being sick, and having to re-route a ship, in order to get medical care. I also resent the words,"fell off" Anyone who has cruised, knows that you can't just fall off, unless you have help getting over the rail.

I also understand those who are upset that their cruise was changed, because of this event. May of us save for months, and sometimes years for a cruise, and you want it to go peacefully.

I say that if the news is going to cover it, then go all out and explain how bad it would be to fall that far into water. What happens if you do survive. Explain how badly a body would be broken up, once it hit the water.

Cruising on the ocean has been glamorized. Law suites have made it profitable for those left behind.

We concern our selves about a child on the balcony, maybe we should worry about family members who are not stable enough.

Cruise ships carry millions of people each year, and there are very few deaths. That is a good thing, and it is important to keep that in mind.

I haven't seen anyone "blame" the cruise line?? It seems like in a lot of topics some people get super super unusually sensitive to any perceived criticism of Carnival cruise lines, and I'm not sure I understand why?? :confused: :confused: I mean, my own family isn't perfect all the time- a cruise line sure as heck isn't going to be. Isn't it okay to discuss anything remotely negative about them? :confused:

The OP asked if it was Carnivals fault. People are just responding no, it has nothing to do with "perceived criticism".

I blame the cruiselines. They should have guards on every deck and balcony to make sure they don't loose their passengers.

When the Smith guy went missing off the RCI ship, someone on a cc thread actually suggested that cruise ships should have nets that stick out about 3 feet from the side of the ship in order to "protect" the passengers. This person was totally serious and even suggested that cruise lines were "negligent" for not having something along these lines on all ships.

It seems we are constantly looking to others to be responsible for protecting us from our own bad choices.:(

any thoughts regarding the number of rooms with balconys? it seems the 'newer' mega ships have more than the ships built in the lat 90s., could "access" drive the issue? :confused:

It has nothing to do with balconies. Most of the people are going over from public decks.

any thoughts regarding the number of rooms with balconys? it seems the 'newer' mega ships have more than the ships built in the lat 90s., could "access" drive the issue? :confused:

nah. i don't think so. some of these incidents have happened on the fantasy class ships which have very, very few balconies. and some have happened in other areas of other ships, not just private cabin balconies. i don't know why it's happening so much more lately, but i hope it stops without the cruise lines feeling the need to plexiglass in an entire balcony space to avoid liability, or without having them to jack up the prices to cover additional insurance premiums and/or settlement costs. funny, but i saw some time ago on the learning channel a royal caribbean ship (i think) in dry dock. they were adding balconies to a huge majority of the ship. i always wished carnival wld do that with the fantasy class ships. lord knows they'd more than re-coup their costs by being able to sell a balcony instead of an oceanview. with this trend, i never see that happening.

When the Smith guy went missing off the RCI ship, someone on a cc thread actually suggested that cruise ships should have nets that stick out about 3 feet from the side of the ship in order to "protect" the passengers. This person was totally serious and even suggested that cruise lines were "negligent" for not having something along these lines on all ships.

It seems we are constantly looking to others to be responsible for protecting us from our own bad choices.:(

But if they did that, then the cruise line would have done every thing possible to protect the passenger and you couldn't blame the cruise line anymore. How inconvenient would that be?:p

Hi I am;

Because I thought I was losing my mind when I would get a blank screen with common words like Conquest aft balconies, or Conquest, or food, I too used the "advanced search" option and still get the white screen more often than not. I am comforted to know that it is not just me. Thought I was truly doing something wrong.

Anyone can get the white screen now and again, but most of the time it is USER error, you have typed in Conquest or food and there are too many threads that contain generic terms like that and the search engine will time out. It takes practice to find the right key words. So yes while many users get the white screen, it is still mostly user error that they do...

But if they did that, then the cruise line would have done every thing possible to protect the passenger and you couldn't blame the cruise line anymore. How inconvenient would that be?:p

:D Sure there would still be plenty of room to blame the cruise line....for instance, "The passenger was acting odd....anyone frowning on a cruise must be depressed. We warned the Pursor about his frowning but they did nothing. If they had assigned a psychologist to him this entire sad event could have been avoided. Cruise ships that sail without pschologists are negligent." ;)

Anyone can get the white screen now and again, but most of the time it is USER error, you have typed in Conquest or food and there are too many threads that contain generic terms like that and the search engine will time out. It takes practice to find the right key words. So yes while many users get the white screen, it is still mostly user error that they do...

They get a white screen because everybody you sent to do a search is on there all at the same time and the darned thing just whigs out on them. :p In Nascar speak that would be pronounced: "done blowed up".

Hmmm, that is interesting. And please forgive me, I am NOT that computer literate--when I do a search and get the white, blank screen and on the bottom left of the screen it says "Done" that means it timed out? Would I do better to search for, say, a more specific wording?

Just now searched for "Miracle 4230 pics" (which I am staying in 12/07) and returned 1 thread. So, I guess the trick is to be very specific. OK, didn't know that one. Learn something new each day. I'm still curious about my question above. I guess the "done" thing confused me as I've gotten "timed out" messages from different sites before but it would actually say, "Your search timed out--please try again."

Of the 17 overboards reported during the period:

1 was a crewman.

3 of 17 are confirmed to involve balconies.

8 of 17 were or are suspected of being suicides.

4 of 17 were witnessed "falls".

5 of 17 are unknown disappearances.

2 jumpers and 1 "faller" were picked up alive.

:D Sure there would still be plenty of room to blame the cruise line....for instance, "The passenger was acting odd....anyone frowning on a cruise must be depressed. We warned the Pursor about his frowning but they did nothing. If they had assigned a psychologist to him this entire sad event could have been avoided. Cruise ships that sail without pschologists are negligent." ;)

I think I understand now the need for bigger and bigger ships. The deck with no windows and the tie down hooks in the floor would be the pyschiatric deck for all the frowners. The deck for swingers and bears would be the deck with the hooks in the ceiling. The decks with no pools and hot tubs would be the "just say no to thongs" deck. And the deck with live stock and lots of chairs would be the chair hogs deck. Something for everyone. :D

Archived