What Is Going On........?

ayalond

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I find it difficult to believe that people just "fall overboard" from cruise ships. Most of the balconies I've had are high enough to prevent that from happening under normal circumstances.

It's almost like a fad thing these days.....disappearing from cruise ships. It seems like the more publicity these disappearances get, the more they happen. What a terrible way to go.:(

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I find it difficult to believe that people just "fall overboard" from cruise ships. Most of the balconies I've had are high enough to prevent that from happening under normal circumstances.

I agree - they're either drunk, murdered or suicidal...

It's been my opinion, based solely on following these sorts of things for a while, that "Jumper Night" is the last night of the cruise. Or, conversely, if they go on the last night, it weren't no accident. One guy tried twice on my 2005 cruise.

Reports today are that the guy was drunk, and climbing from his balcony to a freind's ... who was the one who reported it resulted in the fast ship turnaround.

I thought only dumb college kids on spring break did that stuff! :D

Reports today are that the guy was drunk, and climbing from his balcony to a freind's ... who was the one who reported it resulted in the fast ship turnaround.

I thought only dumb college kids on spring break did that stuff! :D

I guess not.......just look at some of those "Stupid Tricks at home" videos :D Too bad it cost this fella his life :(

Like so many other things, because of 24/7 news we hear much more than we used to. Sure, balconies make it a little easier to jump or fall, but this has been happening for years. Good reason to think twice about that last drink in the bar or whatever. I am a firm beleiver almost all of these cases, the same with the disappearance of young people are related to drugs or alcohal. NMNita

HAVE YOU GUYS SEEN THIS ON THE NEWS TODAY:

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/15581908/

http://news.galvestondailynews.com/story.lasso?ewcd=92dfbd0d63c3c717

SCARY...:eek:

While cruise ships are relatively safe places, crimes occur. The operators try to keep the disappearances, rapes, and murders quiet, since they don't encourage sales. If you really want to be scared check out the following websites.

http://blog.lipcon.com/2006/02/cruise_ship_crimes_statistics.html

http://www.cruise-ship-report.com/News/062806.htm

DutchHaus --

The first URL you posted was for a lawyer and, of course, they will make it seem as if (a) the cruise ships are just full of dangers and, (b) they will make it safe for 33%. Also, look on the sidebar for what they represent; most are the daily sorts of things that lawyers do -- very uneventful suits that occur in the course of business.

The second URL is the "Look at me!" thing that Chris Shays is doing (is he running against Joe Lieberman, huh?). Cruise ships *do* report events, pretty much as soon as feasible, but not always to U.S. authorities because it's not always the U.S.'s business. If, for instance, someone is molested in Turkish waters, it's handled by the locals; if in international waters, by those in the next port.

These days (i.e.: Internet), it's hard to hide anything. I put my trust more in cruise lines than garbage such as this, from the lawyers' site:

Now that we've been reading up on the statistics, we cancelled our latest trip and have no intention of ever taking another one until cruise lines prove they are giving anything more than lip service to security. We have lost any shred of confidence in their integrity. I don't intend to have my daughters and cousins exposed to such danger. The rapists know they can get clean away with it. It's an outrage. On top of that, we also have to worry that they are just as concerned with fighting off terrorist attacks.
Oh, pleazzzzzze.

Having had a verandah cabin and been out walking on deck, both at night and during the day. During calm and very, very choppy/windy/rainy sea days. It would take a huge effort to either jump over (in the case of a suicide), or be thrown over. And, nearly impossible to just simply fall over!

Cruise ship companies do NOT want their guests to be subjected to such hazards; i.e. mistakingly falling over the side of a ship!

IMHO, people who are proned to suicide or causing the death of anither will go to the most extreme measures to get to the end of their desires.

Too bad! And, terribly sad for the rest of us! And, most especially, their families and friends!

Around this part of the country we often get the "Hey....watch this!" type....very sad. Lots of coverage here this AM as we're only a couple of hundred miles from Galveston and the cruise port.

Sorry Randy, I know it's not a funny situation, but your personal remark resonated with me and caused me to giggle a bit; I'm a homegrown Texan myself, and it does seem that " 'round dese here parts" we have a bit of machismo/***** mentality: "Hey guys, watch this! (fill in the blank with any hazardous stunt). Some people get to say "Gee, that was dumb!" while others, unfortunately, don't get that chance...

LOL Nanette, I have five sons and I hear that all day long.

It not only seems impossible to fall overboard, unless you are 8 feet tall and your center of gravity is where my armpits are, but how can you even PUSH someone over? A grown man, I mean?

I guess not.......just look at some of those "Stupid Tricks at home" videos :D Too bad it cost this fella his life :(

Maybe he'll be nominated for the Darwin Award.

Named in honor of Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, the Darwin Awards commemorate those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it.

Maybe he'll be nominated for the Darwin Award.

Named in honor of Charles Darwin, the father of evolution, the Darwin Awards commemorate those who improve our gene pool by removing themselves from it.

*LOL* Those "award winners" never cease to amaze me :)

Every now and again, we need to throw a little HTH into the gene pool

My DH came home from work yesterday and said that a lady he works with was on this cruise. They stopped the boat and the captain came over the loud speaker and said someone had "fallen over" the side of the boat. The turned around and started dropping life boats into the water. I guess they were close enough to cozumel that they had some local help also. The staff would not tell the passengers anything that happened.

I said "oh, i read that on CC this week" and told him all about it. I knew more than she did and she was a passenger. Sad for the family.

Archived