San Diego Hotels

float'n fanatics

We are looking for any insight into the San Diego area we can get. This is our first time in California. Is it safe to assume that the area across the street from the cruise terminals is a decent area? We are thinking our plans will go like this... we fly in on Friday, rent a car, get a room at The Holiday Inn, (maybe). On Saturday we go to The San Diego Zoo (where both of us have wanted to go forever!). Then on Sunday, we take the rental car back and get a shuttle? to the cruise ship. We are thinking we may stay somewhere other than The Holiday Inn, because it's rather pricey. Any thoughts on a good place to stay without going to far inland? We still have plenty of time since our cruise isn't until January 2008, but for me, planning is half the fun!

We were originally going to go on The Pride out of Long Beach, but decided on The Dawn Princess out of San Diego for several reasons.... the Zoo, we wanted to try a different cruise line, and San Diego looks easier to navigate than LA... yes?

Any thoughts, tips, suggestions?

Also looking for reasonably priced restaurants in the Harbor area.

Thanks! :D

If you find the Holiday Inn pricey, you wouldn't like any of my usual suggestions...

You see, rather than stay right across from the pier, I'd stay either in the Gaslamp District (Westin Horton Plaza, US Grant, Horton Grand, San Diego Marriot Gaslamp, etc.) or down by Seaport Village (Manchester Grand Hyatt, Embassy Suites, San Diego Marriot Hotel & Marina)...

The Gaslamp puts you near loads of restaurants, night spots, shopping and strolling streets...The Seaport Village area puts you right on the water and near touristy shops and restaurants...

If on a budget, though, try looking at hotels in the Mission Valley/Hotel Circle area...there are an abundance of them there...

Yes, San Diego is easier to navigate for a novice than is LA...Oh, for restaurants, even if you stay at the Holiday Inn, get a cab over to the Gaslamp and walk around there and look for restaurants...There's too many choice to even begin...(At the harbor, most tourists seem to go for Anthony's--I'm not a big fan, myself)...

One more note...(when I said Cab to the Gaslamp, I sort of reminded myself)...You may not even need a rental car...with that short schedule, you're not going to stray too far...The Airport is actually right near the pier...The Gaslamp District is not far away...And you can get A "Trolley Tour" ticket with hop-on, hop-off privileges for like $30 a day...and it will take you to the Zoo, the Gaslamp, Old Town and more...and you won't have to deal with parking in the Gaslamp (which can be a hassle)...

Good luck...

I would also consider not getting a car if you are only planning to go to the Zoo. There is nothing wrong with the Holiday Inn, and there are plenty of good places to eat within walking distance. You can take the bus to the Zoo to the pier (about a 20 minute ride), or cab it for less than you would pay for a rental car. The Prado in Balboa Park is a lovely place to eat, and just steps from the Zoo.

Near the pier, for reasonable, I would recommend either eating someplace at Seaport Village (about 6 blocks), or if you like seafood, Anthony's Fish Grotto (right at the pier) is a nice family place. You will have to wait to get in (no reservations) but if you plan it right you can put your name in and then walk around to see some of the old ships in the San Diego Maritime Museum which is right there too (or just look at the harbor) while you wait. Another option (a little more pricy) is the Fish Market, also about 4 blocks south of the pier. If you want to splurge, consider Rainwater's on Kettner steakhouse (next to the Amtrak station) or for a good microbrewery with good food too, Karl Strauss Brewing Company on Columbia. You could also take the San Diego Trolley (light rail) from that area to Old Town. I recommend the Old Town Mexican Cafe (also a wait) or Cafe Pacifica (more expensive, but the best Creme Brulee you will every have).

If the Holiday Inn Bayside is too much, you could consider one of the following (not fancy, but close by and clean):

Hampton Inn, 1531 Pacific Coast Hwy.

Pacific Inn Hotel & Suites, 1655 Pacific Coast Hwy.

Days Inn Harbor View, 1919 Pacific Coast Hwy.

or consider staying here (near the Zoo):

http://www.balboaparkinn.com/

(this is close enough to walk to the Uptown area for dinner...lots of good places to eat there. I love Cafe Eleven.)

Check out http://www.sandiegohotels.com (check out the Hot Deals).

Be sure to check out Expedia, Travelocity or Priceline for deals too.

• 2 weeks later...

We just returned from a weekend in San Diego. I can heartily recommend the Balboa Park Bed & Breakfast (also called Balboa Park Inn). Located in a quiet neighborhood, just a ten minute walk from the Zoo entrance (flat, level walk). It has thirty individual units, ranging from $99.00 to $229.00. All units have coffee maker, microwave and small refrigerator (the larger units have full kitchens).

We did not have a car. The taxi ride from the inn to the waterfront area close to the cruise ship terminal was $10.00 or so.

The area around the cruise ship terminal is very nice. I did note the Holiday Inn by the Bay just literally across the street from the terminal.

What a great city to visit.

• 2 weeks later...

The Holiday Inn on the Bay(across form the cruise ship dock) has a free shuttle to the zoo so you definitley do not need a car for that. In addition there is a great hop on hopoff bus tour that also leaves from next to the dock. See:http://www.trolleytours.com

A less expensive alternative would be th eBestWesternBayside nearby, La Pensione alittle further ,just north of downtown in our Little Italy area. it is on our light rail trollley line as well.

Hello all -- thanks for the great input -- any thoughts on something just a bit up from the aforementioned Holiday Inn ...

... like the Comfort Inn at the Harbor (* he asks hesitantly...)

We've got about 10-hours before we embark, so something with a soft surface and reasonable security is all we're really looking for here...

Again - thanks for the good input -

I don't know what you mean by "a bit up from the holiday Inn" do you mean higher in price? Further away? what?I do NOT know that comfort inn which probably means it is very inexpensive and further away.

I was thinking "up" as in up-hill (sorry about that)...5102 N Harbor Dr, as compared to the Holiday Inn Bayside at 4875 N Harbor Dr.

... I guess "uphill" or "up the road" really doesn't apply too much to San Diego (likely why I'm looking for some insight) ...

... with a little Googling, This may have been a "Travel Lodge" (Airport West/Point Loma Travel Lodge) before a recent remodel and re-branding. I'm having serious doubts on this place!

Thanks again for all the info -- and so sorry about "up", here, at 6300' above sea-level it made sense to me!

Hi,

We are leaving out of San Diego on Jan. 8 on the Mercury Celebrity. We are flying in from Atlanta on Jan. 6 and have reservations at the Holiday Inn on the Bay. ( don't confuse it with Holiday Inn Bayside) There web site list cheapest rooms at $144.00 or so. I bid on Priceline on 3 star Hotel in the BAY area and got a room at Holiday Inn on the Bay for $85.00 nightly. A huge saving over their reservation system. Holiday Inn on the Bay is at 1355 Harbor Drive.......Holiday Inn Bayside is in the 4000 block. My understanding is that on the Bay is directly across from cruise terminal and the Hotel will deliver your baggage and then you can walk across the street and check in for cruise.

Beth in Georgia

:(sorry about th eWyndham. I guess the deal was on only for a few days. I always look on http://www.travelzoo.com which shows all the sites with the BEST deals on that day. Just click onCalifornia and you will see. They also show airfare deals.

the Hooliday Inn ONtheBAy is directly across the street from the cruise dock. Th bay is large so some hotels that say the bayside are actually way away from downtown price line is a good way to go. there is also the BEstWesternBayside which is just a few blocks(up) from the bay andLa Pensione whichis inourLittle italy section about 6min north of downtown. It is really inexpensive!!!.

Great suggestions. I looked at the places you were recommending' date=' and yikes! I don't mind saying they are [u']way[/u] more than we want to spend.

I do appreciate the tips about where to eat and the rental car suggestion.

Keep 'em coming! :D

For a hotel try Hotel Circle. It is on the Mission Frwy (8) between the San Diego Frwy (5) and the Cabrillo Frwy (163). Hotel Circle is just west of the Zoo and about 10 miles from the port.

Mission Valley is cheaper than downtown or the Gaslamp but there is nothing to do there, and not many places to eat except at the hotels. You need a car if you are staying anyplace except the Town & Country or Doubletree (where you can take the San Diego Trolley downtown or to Old Town) but you would need to take a cab or the Old Town Trolley to get to the zoo. I it totally lacking in any ambiance.

By the way, NO ONE calls the 8 the "Mission" fwy, nor is the 5 in San Diego called the San Diego fwy. The San Diego fwy is the 405 in the LA area. If you ask for the Cabrillo fwy instead of the 163, you will get a quizzical look from any cabbie in San Diego. Unlike LA, we only call our freeways by their number in San Diego.

By the way, NO ONE calls the 8 the "Mission" fwy, nor is the 5 in San Diego called the San Diego fwy. The San Diego fwy is the 405 in the LA area.

Actually, in Los Angles, the 405 is a parking lot. :rolleyes: You will have to come visit it sometime around 4:30pm on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. :D

If you ask for the Cabrillo fwy instead of the 163, you will get a quizzical look from any cabbie in San Diego. Unlike LA, we only call our freeways by their number in San Diego.

I like to refer to the freeways by their number also. However, sometimes I end up with the quizzical looks (or worse), so I have taken to providing both (just to be on the safe side). :)

Splinter,

We are staying at the Hotel Solomar when we return from our cruise in two weeks. Would you recommend taking a cab from the pier to the hotel or should I book a shuttle? Also, do you know if we would be able to take the trolley to the Zoo from the hotel there, or again, cab?

Thanks!

The HotelSolamar is at 6th Avenue. I fyou walk to 5th and Broadway you can take the#7 bus to the zoo. The zoo andBalboa park are quite close to downtown. From the ship you do not have to book transportation as there will be many cabs waiting at the port . The port is actually downtown and the hotel is also downtown so it is a very short journey. I would say less than 3miles.

The HotelSolamar is at 6th Avenue. I fyou walk to 5th and Broadway you can take the#7 bus to the zoo. The zoo andBalboa park are quite close to downtown. From the ship you do not have to book transportation as there will be many cabs waiting at the port . The port is actually downtown and the hotel is also downtown so it is a very short journey. I would say less than 3miles.

Thanks pzler147!

:) We are staying at Solamar, too...in January. We will be interested to see if you get a reply. We have stayed at their sister hotels in Chicago and really love the ambiance of the hotels and friendlieness of their staff. Hope you have a great cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

We will be driving to San Diego, staying overnight,

leaving our car for the 11 night cruise,

and staying several days when we return.

Are there reasonable hotels where we could safely leave

our car while we cruise?

The parking lot we have used before seems to

have disappeared.

We would welcome suggestions.

Thanks,

jo

My DH's company is taking us to San Diego (Manchester Grand Hyatt) next Oct so we booked the Carnival Pride out of Long Beach departing the Sunday our "business weekend" is done. I have never been to San Diego before and we can extend our trip either side and the company will pay our airfare. My question is, since I have never been to SD before how many days should we give ourselves if we want to go to Sea World and the zoo before the weekend starts? Do we need two full days?

Archived