Oosterdam Surprise Upgrade

bryanwal

I am so jazzed. My TA called tonight with "bad" news and good news. The bad news is that there is a slight itinerary change in our July 24th Oosterdam cruise - we'll get to Juneau at 11 instead of 1 and so have more time in the city. The good news was that she got us upgraded from Cat B to Cat S! I asked her how she did it and she said "don't ask". She was every excited for us and I'm excited, too. I'll surprise the wife and kiddies by not telling them until we go to our stateroom.

What a great surprise for the wife and kiddies as long as you can really keep it a secret:D I am not sure I could. Let us know about the suite, we are booked in a suite for next cruise and we are really looking forward to it. Have a wonderful time....

Debi

Hmmm... how come you've only sailed HAL once and got a free upgrade from B to S in July, and I've sailed 10 times and had to pay for an A to S in May? Who's your TA?

I am so jazzed. My TA called tonight with "bad" news and good news. The bad news is that there is a slight itinerary change in our July 24th Oosterdam cruise - we'll get to Juneau at 11 instead of 1 and so have more time in the city. The good news was that she got us upgraded from Cat B to Cat S! I asked her how she did it and she said "don't ask". She was every excited for us and I'm excited, too. I'll surprise the wife and kiddies by not telling them until we go to our stateroom.

While a good TA might intervene at just the right time and get you an upgrade, it's all just the luck of the draw. The mysterious Upgrade Fairy has so far managed to avoid disection to reveal her secrets. Some folks get upgraded multiple times, others cruise for years without even one. Just don't give up hope.

My TA told me that she really didn't have much to do with it. So I think you're right - it's the magical upgrade fairy. Maybe HAL got wind that we've got two Celebrity cruises booked after this one and wanted to make sure we came back to HAL!

Same ship, same sailing, and I went from a cat M( inside standard size) to cat H outside fully obstructed large room. I'm happy!! That's what I was gambling on to start with becouse I looked at the ship's map and attempted to "guess" what cabins people will not want to pay extra for, and I booked run of the ship thinking I would get what others reject based on price. Supply and demand dictates that suites and verandahs will bring more bucks. Outsides will sell well but few if any will pay extra for partial views. Also the cheapest inside cabins will sell out as will triples and quads. what's left would be a nice big rooms in which nobody requested at the catagory's asked price. On the S-class ships it was on the Lower Promenade Deck becouse of the public areas. On other ships, nobody would fork out extra for simply a port hole window. Anyway, it's all just a game to me, as long as I get a bed and a bathroom.

The upgade fairy is alive and well!

Nan-it doesn't always work that way. I am happy for those it did, Way to go Thoth. In June I cruised on the Maasdam, inside guarantee. I booked an mm inside and was moved up to k inside, which I don't really consider an upgrade since it was still an inside. On my cruise next month I booked a HH, fully obstructed view because it was a better deal. I am also on the Lower Promenade which I like the idea of.

I don't think HAL is known for their upgrades. Carnival is, and I have always been upgraded. So, in my opinion it is best to book what you will be happy with.

Marie

No, it doesn't always work out the way it did this time. But last year on the Statendam I booked cat N(standard size) and was upgraded to cat K which is large inside. That was great with me becouse the Lower Promenade Deck is close to most everything. In 2002 I was on the Maasdam and that time I was basically across the hall in cat C outside. The only difference was the window.

On Carnival I was upgraded into a porthole window outside cat U which suited me fine. As for booking Cat HH, unless you requested a certain room, the upgrade fairy might just be favorable.

Archived