Order Items not On the Menu

asctony

Well, among other things we have ordered would be surf & turf, or a specialty pasta dish.

With a night to two's notice, they can conjure up almost anything. Your Table Captain can arrange things "off menu" for you.

Usually the only thing we try to order, and not every cruise, is an alternate shrimp dish such as scampi. My wife does not like the spiciness of the fra diavolo which has been a standard on the Italian night menu for as long as we've been cruising. Usually, we're told that it's "not very hot", and it isn't, so it's fine. One particularly accomadating head waiter had the chef prepare scampi for our table when another lady made the same request, and one that I spoke with in advance simply said he'd take care of it and the head chef himself presented my wife with a garlic shrimp concoction he put together for her.

We don't do this very often. And usually, some grease is needed to the get that train rolling, if you catch my drift. It's much easier when you are working with someone you might have run into on a previous cruise and been able to establish a relationship. Also, making a request well in advance is helpful.

http://www.cruisingthecaribbeanprincess.com/alwaysA.html

there is a copy of anytime available menu-- you mean there are other things not on that menu I can have.

I have looked on the menus and there is 3-4 days that nothing at all on the regular menu grabs my attention. SO is not a seafood person in the least--wont even try it.

One night, none of the desserts appealed so we asked about cookies and ended up with a heaping palteful of various types. It was a nice change from the rich (or fruit) desserts usually served. Sometimes, you just have to have a cookie.

We also ordered Eggs Benidict from the room service menu and were told that they needed a day's notice, but would be happy to bring it the next morning. We had to decline as it was a port day and we had an early excursion.

Just remember, if you don't ask, the answer is always no.

Charlie

What do you order that is not on the menu? I always hear of this and often wonder what people order. Thank you. Happy Cruising!

We were on the Crown Princess last month and one evening there was almost nothing on the menu that appealed to us. While talking to the waiter we jokingly said, "You wouldn't happen to have any spaghetti and meatballs back in the kitchen, would you?" To our surprise he said that the kitchen would make us anything we wanted! A short time later, he returned with a big bowl of spaghetti and meatballs for us - and it was awesome!! Regualr spaghetti and meatballs was NOT on the menu.

I think that if there's something you'd like that isn't in the menu, it doesn't hurt to ask for it. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

Sharon H.

Some recent Crown cruisers reported that they felt the entrees in the DRs and Caribe Cafe were too adventurous and exotic -- they were longing for some "regular" American-style food by the end of their trip. I suggested that they could have asked their waiter for something plain with mashed potatoes, and I'm sure it would have appeared. We have done this occasionally in the last, and it's been no problem.

UsMy wife does not like the spiciness of the fra diavolo which has been a standard on the Italian night menu for as long as we've been cruising. Usually, we're told that it's "not very hot", and it isn't, so it's fine.

I've had this dish several times on Princess and it's never devilish. :-> I don't have a very high threshhold for heat, and this has always been very mild.

We've never asked for anything off-menu, but we've had several things brought to us. No grease, whatsoever, in either sense of the word.

My last cruise I asked for just a plain steak and steamed veggies, which oddly wasn't on the menu for that night and not only was it accomodated, but what they brought was so delicious.

I also ask for sugar free desserts--there was one on the menu which I couldn't eat...the waiter said to wait a minute while he checked on something, then came back with a wonderful sugar-free mousse which I COULD eat.

I order the following usually on a cruise on different nights and I try and give them one days notice or sometimes it can be done on the spot...of course looking after your Head Waiter goes a long way!;)

Carpaccio

Lucoulous (spagetti wrapped in baked eggplant that is baked)

Fried Calamari

Chateau Brillant with Bernaise

Parmasen Cheese and Kalamata Olives

10 Ounce Filet from the Steak House

Lobster and Shrimp appetizers from Sabatinis

Brasolla

Lobster and Seafood Risotto

Eggs Benedict

Steak Tartar

Waldorf Salad

Bananas Foster

Cherries Jubilee

Crepes Suzette

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

Wow, I can't believe that. You actually order extra items. Cool! My wife gets mad at me when I order more that one dinner. But, I will try to order some of your suggestions. How do I take care of the head waiter? Before, each time or after?

Wow, I can't believe that. You actually order extra items. Cool! My wife gets mad at me when I order more that one dinner. But, I will try to order some of your suggestions. How do I take care of the head waiter? Before, each time or after?

At the end of the cruise is when I make my "donations".

Tony

:cool: :eek: :cool:

I've had this dish several times on Princess and it's never devilish. :-> I don't have a very high threshhold for heat, and this has always been very mild.
It's really been toned down. The first couple of times I had it, it was quite explosive. Even the steam coming off would make your eyes water. Pungent, and then some! It's one of my favorite dishes and I often make it at home.

I am a very picky eater so on many occasions on many cruise lines I have asked for things which are not on the menu - I always give them a days notice. The 'always available' entrees have made it a lot easier for me though as I certainly eat steak or chicken and there are always plenty of steamed veggies and baked potatoes to be had.

On the Crown a couple of weeks ago my waiter came up with things for me that I didn’t ask for. Most nights I would order a Caesar salad then have chicken, he asked if I would like a grilled chicken Caesar salad just for a change of pace one night. On the second formal night I didn't care for any of the soups but I was freezing in the dining room. Having seen what I had ordered thus far throughout the week my waiter came out with a big bowl of chicken noodle soup for me which was really good and warmed me up.

Other requests I have made in the past - always to the head waiter at least one day in advance, are special desserts. I usually cruise with a group of six and we all love key lime pie so we will request it one night. Naturally such services do merit something extra and I am more than happy to offer that up on the last night of the cruise. None of these helpful people have any idea if I will or will not offer them something for the extra effort they have given me and they still always do it with a smile. I’m sure there are those who don't thank them for such favors.

The "always available" menu really makes things easy for us when there's nothing appealing on the daily dinner menu.

Occasionally we've asked for things that have been served on previous nights and received them. One time it was the marzipan cookies. Another time we asked for creme brulee again, but that one had to be asked for the night before.

On a 9-night Celebrity cruise, one of the women at our table wanted more vegetables than the meager portions served with the entrees. Our assistant maitre d' arranged to bring platters of asparagus, spinach, and English peas. Night after night the same vegetables. Of the three, I eat only spinach--and love it. But by the end of the cruise, I was getting tired of it.

I loved that spicy shrimp dish, in fact I asked for more! That was my favourite meal in the whole 10 nights.

On lobster night I ordered fettucini alfredo with lobster tails, when it came they had cut up two tales and mixed them with the sauce and noodles - it was great :) The waiter then brought me a side plate with beef wellington because I was having trouble deciding earlier. What a great guy, but I was stuffed.

I love there rum-raisin ice cream - on a B2B a few years ago I asked the waiter if I could get some when it wasn't on the menu. The next day and for the rest of the cruises everyone at our table had rum raisin ice cream, and, if he spotted us at lunch we had it then too. They must have made up a whole tub just for our table.

Ron

We were on the Crown Princess last month and one evening there was almost nothing on the menu that appealed to us. While talking to the waiter we jokingly said, "You wouldn't happen to have any spaghetti and meatballs back in the kitchen, would you?" To our surprise he said that the kitchen would make us anything we wanted! A short time later, he returned with a big bowl of spaghetti and meatballs for us - and it was awesome!! Regualr spaghetti and meatballs was NOT on the menu.

Spaghetti and Meatballs is actually on the children's menu. It is the same menu every night so this is easy to get.

Putting the staff in the awkward position that results from being asked for favors* in the dining room (or anywhere, really) is inconsiderate to them and disrespectful of their time and duties. Why not simply wait for them to offer when they have the time and inclination to give you what should be a rare special treat?

I get the heebie-jeebies every time I see one of these "What kind of extras can I convince the staff to do/get/make for me?" threads. And, I would be horrified to be at a table where people were putting the staff on the spot like this.

*I'm not talking about things from other menus that are always on-hand or dietary needs that are planned in advance to be met for passengers who have indicated they require this. I'm talking about asking for dishes (or other services) that require special preparation or time-consuming care.

Putting the staff in the awkward position that results from being asked for favors* in the dining room (or anywhere, really) is inconsiderate to them and disrespectful of their time and duties. Why not simply wait for them to offer when they have the time and inclination to give you what should be a rare special treat?

I get the heebie-jeebies every time I see one of these "What kind of extras can I convince the staff to do/get/make for me?" threads. And, I would be horrified to be at a table where people were putting the staff on the spot like this.

*I'm not talking about things from other menus that are always on-hand or dietary needs that are planned in advance to be met for passengers who have indicated they require this. I'm talking about asking for dishes (or other services) that require special preparation or time-consuming care.

I am not a fussy picky eater so tend not to ask for anything extra but on our last Cruise to Alaska I jokingly asked while ordering when the kahlua rice pudding was being served as it was so good on our previous Diamond cruise, they said it is not on the menu but could make it for us the next night, They were excited we had reminded them about it and ordered extra portions for themselves, the next night they served it and it was really good.

I probably think they enjoy making some different things occasionally and happy to accomodate the pax.

These are obviously good, hard-working people who try to accomodate passenger requests. But, that's not my issue -- my issue is with the people who burden the staff with these extra requests. Do they enjoy cooking and serving a little something different now and then? I have no doubt. And, I would like passengers to wait for that to happen at the convenience of the staff.

Archived