Fairbanks Princess Riverside vs. Bear Lodge

shmabbies

My Mom & her friends are on Sun Princess in a few weeks & with their documents received notification that their lodge has been switched from Bear Lodge to Fairbanks Princess Riverside. The letter reads "Occasionally last minute adjustments need to be made and you were chosen on the basis of many factors, including the date on which you made your booking." I can't tell if this change is an "upgrade" or a "downgrade." I've searched a little thru this board & it SEEMS as if the comments were more positive about Riverside than Bear. I'm trying to prepare them as best I can for what to expect so if anyone has any comments I'd love to hear them. I also think I read that there is a shuttle (hopefully complimentary) from Riverside into Fairbanks; can anyone confirm this? Thanks for your help. I have to tell you all that my Mom is AMAZED at what I find out here & she is so appreciative!

we stayed at Riverside last year, and I really liked it. It's on the river, (duh) and has some benches you can sit on down by the river. There is also a pretty and large patio area outside the dining room, but accessible from dining room or grounds, we enjoyed sitting out here in the midnight sun.

There is a shuttle, but it wasn't free last year, was cheap (about $5 round trip, I think, but was supposed to be unlimited on/off in each direction). You bought tickets at the guide counter in the hotel. The shuttles run on a schedule, however, that your Mom needs to be aware of.

First stop was the Fred Meyer, a combo grocery store/Walmart type store, very large and a long, but walkable distance from the lodge.

Second stop was Alaskaland/Pioneerland. Third stop is downtown Fairbanks.

These were the only stops.

Our first full day, we got on one of the first shuttles, skipped Fred Meyer and got off at Alaskaland, which wasn't really open yet. The gates were open, admission is free, but none of the exhibits owuld be open for an hour. We walked around the grounds and decided what we would see when they opened and about 12:30 we went to catch the next shuttle, only to realize, when looking at the schedule, that there would not be another shuttle until around 2:15. The shuttles didn't run for about 2 hours during lunch, which we hadn't realized as they told us they ran continuously.

So, ready to leave Alaskaland, not knowing how to get to downtown Fairbanks, one of the young women at the customer info booth gave us a brochure for Airlink Shuttle, a combo car service/cab/tour guide that we used for the rest of the day. They also charged $5 round trip, but would take you wherever you wanted to go, whenever you wanted to go.

We did go to the Princess tour desk and let them know that it would be nice if they pointed out to customers that there was no shuttle service at all during lunch time, but whether they do so now or not, or have changed the shuttle service I don't know. So, let your Mom know, if she plans to use the Princess shuttle, to check the times. Also, unless she wants to shop, downtown Fairbanks took us about 10 minutes to explore - none of us are much for shopping.

If you also want a good trip in Fairbanks- consider the University museums, Botanical garden, and large animal research farm. Tours given during the day. When going downtown- take a look at the Public Lands building- in the basement there are informative exhibits and movies- free and worth a look. I also think the Pioneer Park salmon bake is one of the best the Palace theater also puts on an enteraining show about Fairbanks. Plenty to see and do. :)

We stayed at the Fairbanks Riverside for one night at the start of our cruisetour last August. It was a lovely place...looked brand new. We enjoyed dinner out on the deck and strolled around the grounds that evening. We didn't feel the need to venture into Fairbanks because we were quite content to soak in the sites at the Riverside. We left fairly early the next morning to go down to the Denali Princess.

Later onboard the Coral we heard some other people talking about the Bear Lodge. Some said they liked it but would have rather stayed at the Riverside.

Either way I'm sure your mom will have a wonderful stay.

Shae

I worked at Fairbanks Princess for over a year, it's really nice and just had a new wing put on a few years ago. Bear is smaller but is also pretty new. Fairbanks Princess is where Princess prefers to put their guest so I'd concider it an upgrade. (Very famous people stay at Fairbanks Princess like August Beush (the owner of Budwiser, Seaworld, ect.) and Newt Gingrich stayed there while he was speaker of the house)!

Anywho.. you'll love it. You really should get into downtown Fairbanks though or at least Pioneer Park, or something Fairbanks Princess is on the outskirts of town so if you just stay at the hotel you should not even really say you've seen Fairbanks.

We returned from Alaska beginning of June. We were booked through Princess at the Bear Lodge. That was the first hotel for our land tour and we were not at all impressed. Began wondering what we got ourselves into but everything improved from that point forward. Room was clean but that was about it. We were not impressed with the restaurants and had an issue with the front desk relating to a problem with our luggage. Others we spoke to were much happier with the Riverside so I would definately consider it an upgrade.

• 9 years later...

Booked with what we thought was Fairbanks princess lodge and placed at bear lodge..... Never even heard of it and can't find any information on it! This is the start if our Alaska tour and disappointed with princess changing our lodge without telling us😞. Anyone have any information on this lodge and how it compares to Fairbanks princess's lodge😳...... Also any suggestions of what's best to do in Fairbanks we will be there 3 nights one day with paddle wheeler and gold druge. Thanks

Booked with what we thought was Fairbanks princess lodge and placed at bear lodge..... Never even heard of it and can't find any information on it! This is the start if our Alaska tour and disappointed with princess changing our lodge without telling us😞. Anyone have any information on this lodge and how it compares to Fairbanks princess's lodge😳...... Also any suggestions of what's best to do in Fairbanks we will be there 3 nights one day with paddle wheeler and gold druge. Thanks

While you have posted your question on several threads I will just respond to this one.

The Bear Lodge is part of the Fountainhead Hotel Complex, so just google them to find their website and information. The Bear Lodge is located off of College Road and adjoins the Creamer's Field (again, use google for more info). Fountainhead owns a wonderful antique auto museum, which is within the Wedgewood/Bear Lodge complex. Fountainhead also operates a shuttle bus/trolley around Fairbanks, so it will be easy for you to travel through our community.

For more information on the paddle wheeler google "Riverboat Discovery." The gold dredge is owned by the same local family.

While it is difficult to offer recommendations without knowing your interests, do consider the Museum of the North (located on the University of Museum campus) as it is likely the nicest museum in the state. Also visit our visitor and iformation bureau website for more information.

Hope you enjoy your visit to our state.

PS: The Princess Riverside is becoming rather dated and at least the lobby area needs some work, so don't get too stressed about Princess moving you.