Luggage handling Port Canaveral

junobeach

Are we allowed to bring on board all our luggage? It's just 1 suitcase per person. Also, if we do decide to check our baggage, are we suppose to tip? I have no problem doing so, but last time I cruised out of Port Everglades there were signs everywhere saying "no tipping".

If you want to lug your bag around with you until your room is ready (assuming early arrival!) go for it! It just has to be able to fit through the x-ray machine.

If it says, 'no tipping" then don't tip!!! If there are no signs, it's usually $1.00 or $2.00 per bag.

Pt Canaveral does not have a no tipping policy. So, you will be expected to tip. As far as carrying onboard your luggage, unless your suitcase is small, it won't fit thru the x-ray machine. The machines at the port are the same size as those at an airport. Most luggage won't fit thru them, but your carry-on, if you have one, probably will.

I just wanted to mention that if you were thinking of carrying your own bag on because you were worried about security and checking it, you can lock your suitcase. We always have ours locked when given to a porter at the pier.

Katie

Actually,for the first time (couple of weeks ago),I noticed a no tipping sign at Pt Canaveral.............however,I still choose to tip the porters.........as did many others..I wouldnt feel right not to.........

Pt Canaveral does not have a no tipping policy. So, you will be expected to tip. As far as carrying onboard your luggage, unless your suitcase is small, it won't fit thru the x-ray machine. The machines at the port are the same size as those at an airport. Most luggage won't fit thru them, but your carry-on, if you have one, probably will.

I just wanted to mention that if you were thinking of carrying your own bag on because you were worried about security and checking it, you can lock your suitcase. We always have ours locked when given to a porter at the pier.

Katie

We have cruised out of PC several times, most recently just 6 weeks ago, and there are clearly MANY "NO TIPPING" signs. Those signs are posted by the Port Authority - who pays the porters. We have never tipped a porter at PC, and have not had any problems with our luggage. Along the same vein, we have never had problems with our luggage being tampered with between the time it leaves our hands and arrives in our stateroom.

We always arrive at the port around 12:30 and are on board at 1, which is when the staterooms are available. We drop our carry-on luggage off and have had no problems hauling things around. Just be sensible --- if you have a huge suitcase plus purse, laptop bag, cosmetics case, camera case and a big old hat, you're going to have a tough time getting around.

Pt Canaveral does not have a no tipping policy. So, you will be expected to tip.

Katie

It is true that tipping is expected. However, the port is full of no tipping signs. It is just that everyone ignores them.

Parrothead8 and Water Baby,

Thanks for the info.I haven't been there since May 2005 and I didn't see no tipping signs then. Some friends have gone since then and I asked them about tipping and they said yes, so that's where I got my info.

I know when we go next week we will still tip. It just doesn't seem right not to. Coming off the ship especially, we want our luggage wheeled off so we would tip more. I guess I haven't ever gone on a cruise where I didn't tip.

Water Baby,

I personally haven't had trouble with my luggage, but there have been posts that things turn up missing at various ports. I thought if that was a concern of the OP, that he/she could lock the suitcase and check it so it wasn't necessary to take it onboard her/himself.

Katie

Archived