bad sewage smell on star

brovol

Yes, also, not to be an idiot, but if anyone has a lay definition of "black water emission" that would be great too. I'd like to learn more about it.

Thanks,

Debbie

The the term refers to human liquid or solid waste. The other term you may hear is "Gray Water" which refers to discarded water from dish washing, clothes washing or showering.

The the term refers to human liquid or solid waste. The other term you may hear is "Gray Water" which refers to discarded water from dish washing, clothes washing or showering.

Thanks Bruce,

Yep, that's what the smell is, sewage. I hope they get it fixed. Thanks for the info.

Debbie

I read your review of the Star - great read THANK YOU.

I have a question for you I noticed that you stayed at the Renaissance and that you got it for 89.00 via Priceline.

I've been trying to book Priceline for weeks now for our 4-28-07 Star cruise.

Wondering if you would share how you did it and how far out you were able to get the booking.

THANKS in advance.:confused:

I was on the weird Star cruise which departed from Ft L on 12/16.. Starting with a late departure due to mech difficulities, the cruise got stranger as we progressed through the week. Into Jamica late, missed Grand cayman due to weather, etc.. Huge huge ! amount of passengers on board that cruise.. In fact I received a call from Princess a week prior to the cruise asking me if I would change my four cabins for a cruise in March 07 due to what they called a large overload. They offered to pay airline change fee's up to $100 and give me a two for one fare exchange (which later got to a 3/1 offer) if I would switch off the 12/16 sailing.. So I pay for one person and they give me three fares in a upgraded mini-suite.. that is how overbooked they were..... which resulted in lines everywhere like I have never seen.. pushing, shoving, fighting for seats at the shows waiting for elevators for no kidding 10 minutes......filling multilpe personal coffee pots in the buffet beverage service areas, in the am which drainied all the coffee for others... it goes on and on etc etc etc

Sewage smell.....There is a smell through out the Star of sewage.. It comes and goes, but it is there.. always has been. I'm a Plat. and have sailed multiple (12) Princess ships including the Star twice prior... The Star has always had the sewage smell.. If you dont think so.. simply go to a forward elevator and wait for the door to open... take a smell... .. then brace yourself.....

The Star and it's crew needs serious "revamping" The 12/16 this year, was my last on the Star.... maybe on Princess..... In the book I wrote on the back of the comment form, I told them so...point blank!!!! Funny thing is ... the line around the pursers areas was so full of people literally screaming at the pursers for various reasons, I had to wait 5 minutes to get close to the box to put the damm commnet form in!!!!!!

I read your review of the Star - great read THANK YOU.

I have a question for you I noticed that you stayed at the Renaissance and that you got it for 89.00 via Priceline.

I've been trying to book Priceline for weeks now for our 4-28-07 Star cruise.

Wondering if you would share how you did it and how far out you were able to get the booking.

THANKS in advance.:confused:

I'm glad you liked the review of the Star. I was/am happy to help and inform from my perspective. However, I don't know if you're confusing me with someone else because we didn't stay at Renaissance, (which I assume is a hotel) nor did I get it for $89 on Priceline. I'm not sure where you saw that posting, but it wasn't me. Alan and I stayed at the Essex Hotel in Miami/South Beach for 3 days prior to the cruise and did get a great price of $102/night but that was from expedia.com. My friend, Nancy (Gator83 on CC) posted a review of Star too and maybe you're confusing us...??? Anyway, I'd love to help you but know nothing of Renaissance or Priceline info to help. I've gotten great deals with expedia and travelocity if you're looking for hotels.

Take care and good luck,

Debbie

I was on the weird Star cruise which departed from Ft L on 12/16.. Starting with a late departure due to mech difficulities, the cruise got stranger as we progressed through the week. Into Jamica late, missed Grand cayman due to weather, etc.. Huge huge ! amount of passengers on board that cruise.. In fact I received a call from Princess a week prior to the cruise asking me if I would change my four cabins for a cruise in March 07 due to what they called a large overload. They offered to pay airline change fee's up to $100 and give me a two for one fare exchange (which later got to a 3/1 offer) if I would switch off the 12/16 sailing.. So I pay for one person and they give me three fares in a upgraded mini-suite.. that is how overbooked they were..... which resulted in lines everywhere like I have never seen.. pushing, shoving, fighting for seats at the shows waiting for elevators for no kidding 10 minutes......filling multilpe personal coffee pots in the buffet beverage service areas, in the am which drainied all the coffee for others... it goes on and on etc etc etc

Sewage smell.....There is a smell through out the Star of sewage.. It comes and goes, but it is there.. always has been. I'm a Plat. and have sailed multiple (12) Princess ships including the Star twice prior... The Star has always had the sewage smell.. If you dont think so.. simply go to a forward elevator and wait for the door to open... take a smell... .. then brace yourself.....

The Star and it's crew needs serious "revamping" The 12/16 this year, was my last on the Star.... maybe on Princess..... In the book I wrote on the back of the comment form, I told them so...point blank!!!! Funny thing is ... the line around the pursers areas was so full of people literally screaming at the pursers for various reasons, I had to wait 5 minutes to get close to the box to put the damm commnet form in!!!!!!

Wow! I'm so sorry about the stuff you had to handle on your 12/16 cruise. We were on that cruise too, but we did go to Grand Cayman so I'm not sure if you were on a different sail date or something, or you missed getting off in Cayman for some other reason. That was a bit confusing because Alan and I did a speedboat excursion in Grand Cayman so I know we did go to that port.

It was our first cruise, so I don't have as much of a comparison perspective as you do, but we were also very disappointed in the heavy lines (I posted a member review of Star and mentioned we had to wait at least twice for an hour and a half to eat which seemed an exorbidant amount of time). And I did notice the purser's desk seemed to be backlogged often with people who were very unhappy about something. I had to crawl through a huge group of people to put my comment card in as well, so I hear ya on that one.

I know they did say they were "sailing full" but with any cruise line I would imagine for customer satisfaction standards to be met they'd have to know how to streamline and handle the ship whether full or not. I can't imagine the 12/16 sailing would be the first time the Star was sailing "full." I do agree they need to "revamp" as you said. It's interesting to hear your perspective from someone who has sailed Princess a lot and from someone who definitely has more sailing knowledge of what "normal" is than I do. I know some things for me (like the exorbidant wait times) were things I would think any good cruiseline would work constantly to fix.

And as for the smell, I didn't know that was a constant on the Star. That's too bad. Hopefully something can be done.

Thanks for sharing your experiences; it's all very interesting to me, both the good, the bad, and the comical! Especially as a first timer. I'll be more informed about many things next time and, as a teacher myself, I really like to learn.

Take care,

Debbie

On the 12/23 star: was awoken by not just a smell but a stench in the middle of the night in our cabin-E204-I had to put my head under the covers to breathe. Luckily this was a one time occurrence. I have to admit I was skeptical before that this was just a case of over-sensitivity but now I know this stench exists. Only smelled it once or there would have been some complaining to Princess.

week off.. My bad .. the cruise on the 'Star" and or Minnow as we now called it....... was the 12/23 cruise...

No worries, I was starting to second guess myself...did we really go on that speedboat in Grand Cayman or was I delusional! Being in theater I was starting to think it might be that I was delusional:eek: . Thanks for clearing it up. Also: The "Minnow," now that's funny. Thanks for the chuckle.

It really seems the forward cabins have the most problem for whatever reason. Weird.

Hi ya Debbie, Read this thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=464547 Go Gators!

Nancy, You rock! It was worth the whole Star Princess 12/16 luggage/computer stealing debacle just to meet you! (see my Star Princess 12/16 review if the computer stealing comment confuses anyone else...I'd never want to leave anyone out of a good conversation/party)...The thread Nancy sent is basically a review of Star on 12/16, including the smell stuff. Anyway, Nancy, that thread is very interesting for any others who want to read more about Star or the 16th sailing, or the smell...and such.

Nancy, here's what I said, which I think applies to what we're talking about on this thread, and in general to those people who are only beginning to post (the original thread starter was posting for the first time). As you know, being a teacher of the arts, I'm a sucker for the underdog, and I appreciate people of differing perspectives who can articulate their voice with passion and balance,....one of the reasons you, Nancy, are on the serious "in" list for me. I'm not Pollyanna, nor am I the purveyor of Naysayism, but calling it like one sees in a solution-oriented manner, if there is something that could be improved, is something I think is just good business and common sense. And it doesn't mean I didn't still have a fabulous time on my cruise (I did) and it doesn't mean I'm not a very positive person (I am)...I just think and act with an analytical, bold, and hopefully balanced bent. So, thanks, Nancy for the thread. It's a lot of what we talked about, and very interesting. Here's what I said to the woman posting for the first time about her (mostly unsatisfying...and smelly) experiences on the Star 12/16...

I too am sorry you had a bad experience. My boyfriend and I were on Star Princess 12/16 as well (see my review posted if you like) and we had some experiences both good and bad as well. Personally, I'm glad you posted your first post as your review. I think your perspective is much needed and I hope not maligned as "insignificant" just because it's your first cruise and first post. I think anyone's first impression is extremely important, and one we never get again once we've had it. I hope Princess and others can see it as such and not denigrate it. It has it's own unique place in the canon of perspectives and needs to be factored in as such. I think the perspective of ones upbringing, expectations, age, culture, education, socio-economic status, gender, and a bunch of other factors go into how one processes any event...and they're all interesting and informative to the constituency to which they appeal to...and therefore serve. Just like a smorgasbord, if something doesn't appeal to and/or serve us, we can always leave it alone, but that doesn't mean it isn't edifying and satifying to someone else. As a professor of the arts of theater and music, (and somewhat of a student of people) it is interesting to me to factor in all this information and I thank you for your forthright commentary.

Debbie

Thanks Nancy for giving us all a little bit more perspective! You da bomb! And did the Gators win? Let me know.

Take care,

Debbie

The Grand and the Golden do not have the sewer smell. Why do passengers have to be surprised by the sewer smell? Princess should warn people when they book.

I agree, however, when I spoke to them about it, they denied there was a smell. That was disappointing.

We were on the Dolphin deck Starbord side on the Star Thanksgiving cruise. The sewage smell was so nausiating we did not open our balcony door. The smell was random throughout the entire ship. You never knew where it would pop up. There must be a health violation here. I will never sail on the Star again for allowing the problem to continue. Upgrading to a balcony cabin is not cheap. Only being able to look out the window and never venture out for fear of vomiting is inexcusable.

i cant believe that this thread (that i started on my thanksgiving cruise after getting ticked off at the indifference princess staffers were manifesting after hearing my complaints) is still going strong. it sounds like princess may now be doing something about it. i wonder if this board is causing princess to respond to the issue, when otherwise (without all the information sharing) it would simply continue to act as if the smell didn't exist. on another note; shouldn't i get some kind of a certificate for starting a thread that has gotten so large?

Nancy's review when I noticed the info on the Renaissance. Thanks for letting me know that I messed up in such a kind way - not always the case these days on CC.

If Gator83 happens to see this post maybe she can fill me in on her experience with Priceline and the Renaissance.

THANKs AGAIN -we are cruising on the Star the end of April - pulled Dolpin starboard 529 hope it doesn't smell on our balcony :o

We were on the Dolphin deck Starbord side on the Star Thanksgiving cruise. The sewage smell was so nausiating we did not open our balcony door. The smell was random throughout the entire ship. You never knew where it would pop up. There must be a health violation here. I will never sail on the Star again for allowing the problem to continue. Upgrading to a balcony cabin is not cheap. Only being able to look out the window and never venture out for fear of vomiting is inexcusable.

I called Princess yesterday (Jan 6, 2007), discussed the problem and they said it is fixed. Anyone still having the problem? We are booked a minisuite (Dolphin, Starboard side, midship) to sail on Jan 27, 2007. Should I be worried?

Larry

Nancy's review when I noticed the info on the Renaissance. Thanks for letting me know that I messed up in such a kind way - not always the case these days on CC.

If Gator83 happens to see this post maybe she can fill me in on her experience with Priceline and the Renaissance.

THANKs AGAIN -we are cruising on the Star the end of April - pulled Dolpin starboard 529 hope it doesn't smell on our balcony :o

So....does that mean you didn't like my review then since your read Nancy's and not mine? :rolleyes: Just kidding...no worries. Yes, Nancy's review is wonderful...as is she. Anyway, if I talk to her I'll tell her to check this thread. Otherwise, she checks in with our 12/16 Star roll call sometimes so you might get her there too. But she seems to be popping around this site too, as she gives me tips where to go now and then. (Fun to tell me where to go, I'm sure!) Anyway, I'm sure she'll help you with your Priceline info. Take care and have a great time. And thanks for the "kind way" compliment..I didn't miss it.

Debbie

i cant believe that this thread (that i started on my thanksgiving cruise after getting ticked off at the indifference princess staffers were manifesting after hearing my complaints) is still going strong. it sounds like princess may now be doing something about it. i wonder if this board is causing princess to respond to the issue, when otherwise (without all the information sharing) it would simply continue to act as if the smell didn't exist. on another note; shouldn't i get some kind of a certificate for starting a thread that has gotten so large?

Yes, you da bomb! Thanks for starting it...your certificate and a million dollars is in the mail!;)

Debbie

I called Princess yesterday (Jan 6, 2007), discussed the problem and they said it is fixed. Anyone still having the problem? We are booked a minisuite (Dolphin, Starboard side, midship) to sail on Jan 27, 2007. Should I be worried?

Yes, I would be worried. (I am too) but there isn't much you can do.

PLEASE post when you return and let us know your experience. I am booked March, Star, Dolphin, Starboard so want to know if problem still exists.

I wish I had an option...I do believe that the problem is real and serious... but I am tied to that specific date and ship....

good luck

Marie

I called Princess on 12/3 and was told there was no problem with any odors, actually acted like I was the first person to ask the question. We sailed on 12/9 and the smell was there, didn't ruin our vacation or even put a dent in it, but Princess sure did not tell the truth.

I Love you REVIEW too - DebbieLynne

Also, enjoy reading your posts and your sense of humor - happy that you've joined us here on CC:)

Awwwww, shucks. Thanks, even though I did pull the compliment out of you, kinda/sorta. :p Big hugs to you, hugger!

Debbie

good luck

Marie

Marie,

If it's any help to you, Alan and I were on Star 12/16 and were on Aloha deck starboard midship (A629 if you want to look to see how close your cabin is to where ours was) and we were able to use our balcony at night. A woman in Aloha down the hall from us in A305 couldn't use her balcony. It seems that the problem is more forward than midship so you might be okay. Hope that helps.

Debbie

Archived