bad sewage smell on star

brovol

KauaiKris, was your cabin forward or aft? Glad you didn't have a problem. Cabin # if possible?

I'm so sorry many of the other posters that were on this cruise with me had a worse experience with the smell. I went into it really nervous and then was delighted that it wasn't a big problem for me, and assumed the problem had mostly been resolved. Apparently it hasn't been, since it impacted the enjoyment of so many others on this cruise. Maybe we were just in a pocket of sweet air in our section. Like I said, we did smell it occassionally, and there were the two days in the cabin -- When I first smelled it, I was upset and thought "Oh great... It's back again". But it went away pretty quickly for us.

Our group was in Caribe starboard, forward. Cabins C223, C227, C231 & C235. I personally was C231. I sure hope those with upcoming cruises have a good experience. I know that if we had been unable to enjoy our balconies, we'd have been very disappointed.

I'm just off the 12/9 - 12/16 sailing. We were in B744 (aft, left side looking forward) and the smell on the balcony was horrendous. The only time there was relief from the sewage smell was when we were docked next to the Disney ship. They were cooking something on board that smelled so good you didn't notice the sewage smell. We did not let the smell ruin our cruise and used the balcony often. However, the smell was almost always there. We could smell it on the pool deck as well. My wife and I joked they should change the name to "Sewage of the Seas".

"Sewage of the Seas" Now that is really funny! I guess it dosn't take much to make me laugh!

It disturbs me that this problem apparently still exists while Princess does nothing about it, even to the extent of not acknowledging there is a problem.

Obviously no one is forcing me to sail on this ship but I'm sure others like me weren't aware of this situation until final payment was made, along with airline reservations. What will it take to get this remedied; boycott ships shops etc., or maybe even withholding tips to get some pressure from the inside out? Go ahead, flame away but this is ridiculous!

We have been on the ship all week and only once did we experience any odor. Was on the top deck above the pool, on the Starboard side, on Grand Cayman day. The sun was shining, so we went out to relax. We did smell some odd smell every once in a while, but it didn't smell like sewage. It smelled more like a perm solution from a beauty salon mixed with some other chenmical smell. This is truly the only place we have encountered anything. have used every bank of elevators, nothing! The Theater is fine and so is everywhere else on the ship. Have heard that some passengers, from our CC group, who are in cabins where the smell had been reported, have smelled nothing also. So hopefully whatever it was is gone.

We have had a wonderful cruise on the Star and wish we could stay on for another week. The dining room has been great and so has the food. It has really been a very uneventful cruise, just nice and relaxing. Today has been a bit rough, but that has to be expected. Other than that, great weather, and a great cruise.

My feeling is, don't worry about something that you probably won't find to exist. It may have in the previous cruises, but now there is no problem at all.

Hope everyone has a great cruise on the Star. It is a very nice ship.

Hulagirl

Hulagirl,

Just because you haven't experienced the odor does not not mean the smell doesn't exist. I can assure you and others the smell exists. The odor was there on the balcony the entire cruise. I did not let it ruin my cruise however. I was on the Mariner of the seas in Oct of 2004 and Jewell of the seas in 2005 and got a whiff of sewage now and again on both ships. The odor on the Star (at least on my balcony) was constant throughout the entire cruise.

I agree with the above poster. I did not smell the odor on any other part of the ship. Unless you were in my cabin (B235) or balcony on the 12/9 sailing of the Star please do not say the oder does not exist. The problem I have with Princess is that they will not admit there is a problem. I called before I left concerned because of the location of our cabin and was told there is no smell. I went to the pursers desk while on board and asked to please have my room aired after the 2nd time we returned and got hit with the smell. Just got a blank stare from the CM and was told she is sorry. It surely did not ruin our cruise and I am already booked for next Dec. on a Princess ship but not the Star.

Its an old fact that Pricess does never admit anything is wrong.....

We will be in D603 & D605 in 2 weeks and I am getting really concerned now. My wife is pretty sensitive to smells and this might really ruin our cruise. I hate to be so negative ahead if the cruise, and I didn't say anything to her at all, but I am getting worried.

I agree with the above poster. I did not smell the odor on any other part of the ship. Unless you were in my cabin (B235) or balcony on the 12/9 sailing of the Star please do not say the oder does not exist. The problem I have with Princess is that they will not admit there is a problem. I called before I left concerned because of the location of our cabin and was told there is no smell. I went to the pursers desk while on board and asked to please have my room aired after the 2nd time we returned and got hit with the smell. Just got a blank stare from the CM and was told she is sorry. It surely did not ruin our cruise and I am already booked for next Dec. on a Princess ship but not the Star.

It did ruin my fathers cruise at Thanksgiving. He could not enjoy his cabin or balcony. We were on port side and had no problem. Coming out of the buffet on the starboard side was gaging sometimes and other times no problem. I wish this was reported before we booked!

I hate to be a jerk, but I will be printing this thread out when we go in 28 days - if they say this is the first they have heard of it - I will call bs on them - I love Princess - but if I knew this even COULD be a problem we would have gone on the CB to the eastern caribbean again

I hate to be a jerk, but I will be printing this thread out when we go in 28 days - if they say this is the first they have heard of it - I will call bs on them - I love Princess - but if I knew this even COULD be a problem we would have gone on the CB to the eastern caribbean again

If I were sailing on the Star, I would do the same thing!! Good luck, and hope it doesn't impact you, or others you are on board with.

Its an old fact that Pricess does never admit anything is wrong.....

We will be in D603 & D605 in 2 weeks and I am getting really concerned now. My wife is pretty sensitive to smells and this might really ruin our cruise. I hate to be so negative ahead if the cruise, and I didn't say anything to her at all, but I am getting worried.

I just read a review from the Star. Returning 12-23-06. The op said the smell was not that bad. Not sure what side of the ship they were on.

Hope the smell is not bad for you.

I just got back from the Star Princess. I had cabin A511. I did not smell anything on my balcony but the smell was there occasionally through out the ship. I am EXTREMELY sensitive to odors and it wasn't really bad where I was but I did smell it at times: when embarking, in Ocho Rios, and at other times through out the week. I smelled it at various locations and one time someone did say it smelled like perm solution but I say it smelled like sewage. I was very worried about smelling it on my balcony but I guess I lucked out. Princess really needs to acknowledge this issue and it very much concerns me that they don't. I am planning on trying another cruise line (after 3 Princess cruises) anyway but I think Princess' lack of acknowledgement would push me to not using them any more.

I just returned from the Star Princess and not once did I smell anything unusual on the ship. The ship is in great condition and if you are sailing the Star in the near future, I wouldn't worry about it.

I did talk to some people at breakfast who had dinner with a "Debbie" the night before who seemed obsessed with talking about the smell. According to them, this person had not experienced it but talked constantly about posts on CC and in these people's opinions, ruined their dinner by constantly bringing the subject up. They were enjoying their cruise and did not appreciate someone trying to bring up negatives about the cruise.

I just returned from the Star Princess and not once did I smell anything unusual on the ship. The ship is in great condition and if you are sailing the Star in the near future, I wouldn't worry about it.

I did talk to some people at breakfast who had dinner with a "Debbie" the night before who seemed obsessed with talking about the smell. According to them, this person had not experienced it but talked constantly about posts on CC and in these people's opinions, ruined their dinner by constantly bringing the subject up. They were enjoying their cruise and did not appreciate someone trying to bring up negatives about the cruise.

Coral,

Even though you didn't experience the smell others on the ship did so telling someone not to worry about it because you didn't smell it isn't the best advice. As I posted before, I smelled it so it was there. I didn't experience a strong smell but others on the ship did claim they did. The smell is still there and Princess should acknowledge it and do something about it.

Coral,

Even though you didn't experience the smell others on the ship did so telling someone not to worry about it because you didn't smell it isn't the best advice. As I posted before, I smelled it so it was there. I didn't experience a strong smell but others on the ship did claim they did. The smell is still there and Princess should acknowledge it and do something about it.

By the sound of this thread - you would think that most people on the ship are not enjoying their cruise and are being greatly inconvenienced by it. This is simply not true. The people I encountered last week were having a fantastic cruise.

I have cruised on many cruises and at times on several of these ships there has been a smell at various places. Go ahead and try other cruise lines but I can tell you that I have noticed smells periodically on Carnival, RCCL and Celebrity ships. This is part of cruising and you are not going to escape this by switching lines.

I stand by my statement - if you are planning on sailing on the Star Princess soon, go and have a great time. It is a great ship!

I was also on the cruise last week and had a wonderful cruise. I did not experience any bad smells while on the ship. Just smelled mother ocean and excellent food.

I did not participate in the roll call for last week's cruise because the people on the roll call seemed obsessive with the smell and had already predeterimined that the cruise was going to be awful due to the sewage smell. These are not the kind of people I want to hang out with on my vacation.

I don't' think the occasional smell would bother me, but in my room and on my balcony would be a whole different story. We had that sewage smell in our Diamond bathroom several days, and they poured some disinfectant down the drain in the floor twice a day and that finally neutralized it, but it is a very penetrating smell

Some people are really sensitive to smells, and unfortunately, I am one of them. If it doesn't bother you great!! I would not want to cruise with it for 7 days and nights. As I said, many days ago, people were reporting this smell some 3 years ago. I agree that Princess should fix what ever the problem is there. We were on the Grand, which I think is the sister ship, and we never had any problems at all.

Casey12: I agree with you. Had posted a few times to the roll call for our cruise and then the obsession with the smell and I quit posting. Wanting compensaton for something before you even step on the ship seemed over the top to me, so I stayed away.

I'm with Casey and Coral as we just didn't have a problem on the cruise with the smell. We were in the Grand Suite at the back of the ship right next to B744 and there were no smells back there at all. The only time we did experience an odd odor was when we were on the very top deck around the outdoor swimming pool. Then we did get wafts of a strange smell. It still did not smell like sewage to me, but just the perm solution smell mixed with some other odd odor. I also have a very sensitive nose and this is what it smelled like I thought. Yes, it wasn't pleasant, so I can understand why others have complained. Thank goodness this was the only place though that WE smelled it.

Maybe we were lucky and Princess has taken care of most of the odors that previous cruisers have posted about. I'm sure people did smell things that were bad otherwise there wouldn't be so many postings about this.

Hopefully those of you with future cruises booked on the Star can just enjoy your cruise and not have any odor problems to worry about. We had an excellent cruise with not complaints at all. Service was excellent as well as the food.

Hulagirl

I was also on the cruise last week and had a wonderful cruise. I did not experience any bad smells while on the ship. Just smelled mother ocean and excellent food.

I did not participate in the roll call for last week's cruise because the people on the roll call seemed obsessive with the smell and had already predeterimined that the cruise was going to be awful due to the sewage smell. These are not the kind of people I want to hang out with on my vacation.

Casey,

I wouldn't say the roll call people were obsessed with the smell. I would say it was being discussed just like on the boards. And NO ONE was predetermined that the cruise was going to be awful. In fact, I went knowing I would have a great time and hoping that the smell was still not around but it was a bit. All that was said was if we couldn't use our balcony then we would complain. The bottom line is that the cruise was great, everyone had a good time but there was a smell and Princess should own up to it. I have been on 5 previous cruises and don't recall any smell like I smelled on the ship (even though it wasn't that strong where I was).

Thank You I stop reading this roll call because I was afraid it would ruin my cruise. I 'm not a complainer and pretty laid back but I was being to regret booking this cruise. Hopefully we enjoy are cruise. Did you enjoy the shows? Is there any we shouldn't miss? We are cruising on the March 17, Stat Princess. :D

Thank You I stop reading this roll call because I was afraid it would ruin my cruise. I 'm not a complainer and pretty laid back but I was being to regret booking this cruise. Hopefully we enjoy are cruise. Did you enjoy the shows? Is there any we shouldn't miss? We are cruising on the March 17, Stat Princess. :D

All the production shows were good; I would catch those if I were you. If the comedian Sarge is on your ship then I would definitely catch him; he is fabulous. Check out the backstage tour....it is very interesting. Have a great time.

I'm just off the 12/9 - 12/16 sailing. We were in B744 (aft, left side looking forward) and the smell on the balcony was horrendous. The only time there was relief from the sewage smell was when we were docked next to the Disney ship. They were cooking something on board that smelled so good you didn't notice the sewage smell. We did not let the smell ruin our cruise and used the balcony often. However, the smell was almost always there. We could smell it on the pool deck as well. My wife and I joked they should change the name to "Sewage of the Seas".

-----------------------------------------------

Hulagirl,

Just because you haven't experienced the odor does not not mean the smell doesn't exist. I can assure you and others the smell exists. The odor was there on the balcony the entire cruise. I did not let it ruin my cruise however. I was on the Mariner of the seas in Oct of 2004 and Jewell of the seas in 2005 and got a whiff of sewage now and again on both ships. The odor on the Star (at least on my balcony) was constant throughout the entire cruise.

Princess must have fixed it. As this was my cabin (B744) on 12/16 and I did not experience the smell once. I loved this balcony, it was an unusual size and quite large. I used it quite a bit on my cruise.

I wouldn't say the roll call people were obsessed with the smell. I would say it was being discussed just like on the boards. And NO ONE was predetermined that the cruise was going to be awful. In fact, I went knowing I would have a great time and hoping that the smell was still not around but it was a bit. All that was said was if we couldn't use our balcony then we would complain. The bottom line is that the cruise was great, everyone had a good time but there was a smell and Princess should own up to it. I have been on 5 previous cruises and don't recall any smell like I smelled on the ship (even though it wasn't that strong where I was).

I also stayed away from the Roll Call on CC boards. IMO - they DID seem obsessed with the smell. They wrote poems/songs replacing the words with smelly type words, someone wrote letters to Princess before the cruise trying to negotiate compensation such as free wine and excursions "if and when" they happened to smell bad smells on board.

I have cruised probably 5 times more then you have and have experienced more bad smells on other cruise lines than I did on this sailing.

Archived