bad sewage smell on star

brovol

To djrochen:

I really enjoyed the thoroughness and humor of your review of the Star. We were on it 12/16 and had similar thoughts and experiences. I laughed out loud once or twice reading it...thanks for filling my day with a little more info and a little more humor.

Debbie

I spoke to Princess today and among other questions about our March 10 cruise, I asked about the smell. The rep went away and checked and admitted there had been a problem and reassured me that it has now been fixed. Another thread (The famous wedding one!) indicates that they read the boards.

I am anticipating a great cruise, but as I have fully paid I think it is worthwhile making inquiries in advance in the event that there is a problem making balcony use limited. Anyone have experience with cabin D525 - a mini, particularly as to smells?

Thanks

To djrochen:

I really enjoyed the thoroughness and humor of your review of the Star. We were on it 12/16 and had similar thoughts and experiences. I laughed out loud once or twice reading it...thanks for filling my day with a little more info and a little more humor.

Debbie

Thanks for being able to differemtiate between humor and offending someone. I was already called "rude" for my remarks in another thread....:confused: :eek:

The thing that got me most about Dunn's River Falls was a small child (maybe 5-6 years, just like our dear daughter) that got dragged up the falls by his parentsHe was crying and had such a horrified look on his face, I think I will never forget has face....

To djrochen:

Debbie

Thanks for being able to differemtiate between humor and offending someone. I was already called "rude" for my remarks in another thread....:confused: :eek:

The thing that got me most about Dunn's River Falls was a small child (maybe 5-6 years, just like our dear daughter) that got dragged up the falls by his parentsHe was crying and had such a horrified look on his face, I think I will never forget has face....

I cant believe I am complaining, i thought all those people that were complaining aobut the smell were just whiners, but you were all right. It stinks like sewage horribly, it is a beautiful ship, great food and entertainment, the service sucks almost as bad as the smell. This was my 10th cruise and have never ever smelled anything like it, it cannot be healthy. Didnt get a comment card (i was never vocal to anyone on the ship about any complaints we had) and now the only way we can let princess know is by snail mail apparantley. I think this was my last princess ship for sure. All the passengers on the ship were great fun though.

I cant believe I am complaining, i thought all those people that were complaining aobut the smell were just whiners, but you were all right. It stinks like sewage horribly, it is a beautiful ship, great food and entertainment, the service sucks almost as bad as the smell. This was my 10th cruise and have never ever smelled anything like it, it cannot be healthy. Didnt get a comment card (i was never vocal to anyone on the ship about any complaints we had) and now the only way we can let princess know is by snail mail apparantley. I think this was my last princess ship for sure. All the passengers on the ship were great fun though.

In our case, it was there twice, but I could live with it. There were all kinds of smells on board, exhaust, kitchen fumes etc.

Now the service in our case was not as bad as you experienced it.

However, it really depended on the waiters you got for your table.

I actually did ask one of the cruise director staff about the smell and at first they said it was engine, then I said an engine smells like sewage? Then the person just lowered her head and said it was sewage. We were on the baja deck in the front and the smell was definitely more predominant in the front of the ship. One of the people at our table inthe amalfi dining room dropped her fork on the floor and we practically had to beg for another one. The service in sabatinis from stefano and the other italian kid was the kind of service we should have had everywhere in the ship. Sabatinis was the highlight of our dining experience. It was really too bad to left princess get a bad rep due to their unwillingness to fix this problem of the smell. I know I for one will never go princess again. I say Stefano should teach the staff on that ship a thing or two about service because he was the best.

• 3 weeks later...

this problem has been a problem for a long time.

Princess! Fix this!

You know it's a problem, sooooo Fix It!

what problem you ask?

Oh yea. The rotton stinky smell on the Star.

I'm a platinum cruiser. been on the star twice. Stunk me off the ship both times.

some crew members discussed it openly.

7 out of 9 princess cruises weve been on have been awesome! The Star Princess made our experiance sub par. Cause it smelled like sewar!

Fix it!!!!

boycot the Star until they fix this desperate problem.

do not go on the Star Princess. It smells like a bathroom.

well fellow travelers, i wanted to make an impact. i hope Princess reads this, and will dry dock her, or do what ever to fix that poppie problem.

its gross.

caymansreef

Its funny that you called it poopie because that is what our group and some other people renamed it. Although I am calmer about it now and thinking about the good things (the only bad thing was the smell and the service sucked), I might do another princess someday but not the poopie princess.

on the Star Princess and Black Water emissions problems. They wrote back that while it may be unpleasant that it was NOT a health issue.

And, that all the cruise line had to do was to vent it higher on the ship so that it didn't blow back and create the smell problem.

I also received a letter back from Princess regarding this problem - they did admit that it was a black water emissions problem (human waste) and that they were working out. Hope they get it fixed soon as we cruise 4/28.

I was amazed to get a response from Princess and to see them admit what it was.

From January 16 until today there were no posts on this thread. Since the origial post on this thread, the posts on the Star Princess have POSITIVE from those that have actually been on the ship -- see flvol77 review of the Star Princess cruise 1/20 to 27. I note that as of right now there are no posts from the just completed cruise.

As I posted on the flvol77 thread, our experience on the 1/20 to 27 cruise was great. We noticed no smell that I would call sewage and the service was wonderful. Members of our party were on both the port and starboard sides of the ship, on Aloha deck, both fore and aft, and on a lower deck, forward and there were no problems with smells on any of the balconys.

We were on the Star in June, 2003 to Alaska and had a wonderful time on that cruise as well. We have made a future cruise deposit and will defenatily cruise with Princess again, including on the Star if the interary is one that we want.

I agree with Counselor. In the past week, I have seen 3 or 4 very positive reviews about the star. Each of them said they either didn't smell anything or that it was so very faint they only noticed it once. Maybe that means that they fixed it or are working on it. Either way, I think it is somewhat irresponsible for those who haven't been on The Star in the past couple of weeks, like caymansreef, to come on here and say to boycot the star or avoid it at all costs becuase it is such a terrible experience because ALOT of people reading this have already made their final deposits on future Star cruises, including myself. How is that supposed to help us? Make us dread the cruise we have put so much money up for!? Those of you who keep tellling us to avoid this ship are not helping me look forward to something I can't go back and change now. Think about others for a change, and not just yourself!

I was in the same boat (haha) as you, read all the reviews good and bad (even about the smell). I was worried because some others in our party had never cruised before I did not say one word to anyone before leaving about what I had smell even DH. Sorry to say but it was there. It didnt ruin my cruise but made sitting on our balcony and just smelling it uncomfortable. Who should be complaining to is Princess not the poeple who paid alot of money to sail on this ship, only to be exposed to that smell.

I was in the same boat (haha) as you, read all the reviews good and bad (even about the smell). I was worried because some others in our party had never cruised before I did not say one word to anyone before leaving about what I had smell even DH. Sorry to say but it was there. It didnt ruin my cruise but made sitting on our balcony and just smelling it uncomfortable. Who should be complaining to is Princess not the poeple who paid alot of money to sail on this ship, only to be exposed to that smell.

Sorry for the horrible english, hubby was bugging me to come for dinner. I meant to say you should make Princess ensure that the smell is gone. Those of us who paid a lot of money for this cruise do have a right to state our opinions. As I said earlier I was in the same position you are now, too late to cancel and will make the best of it and hopefully the people that complained about it are just whiners. Well I for one am proud to whine when I feel I was ripped off, I am annoyed that I paid that much money and got to smell that sewage for a week. Princess will receive my letter and probably just fluff it off anyways. FYI asides from the smell and service (but we have found that cruise industry wide lately) the star is a fun ship, best food and entertainment yet.

We occupied 3 rooms midship, caribe, 2 BA's and a PH Suite. We spent a large majority of this cruise, outside on our balcony (it's friggin HUGE) or aft outside eating lunch...

We did not SMELL anything foul, and one of us (6) has quite the sebsitive nose.

I don't doubt there might have been a problem in the past, but it didn't exist on thise cruise, and nor of the hundred's of people we met, the subject never came up.

jc

toronto

Jan 27th Prin Star

dont let it ruin your cruise, if that person said they didnt smell it maybe they had enough complaints and did something about it. So i am done complaining about it. Enjoy as I have stated MANY times it is a great ship as well and if its fixed all the better for evryone.

Hi again

It certainly won't ruin my cruise but I have been following the comments re the smell for a month now - it seems to go back quite a long way.

The most recent posts however, have indicated it is getting better, and it does seem to be in a few particular spots, so was wondering if it was anywhere where I might be. I do like to be prepared.:) From what I've read, sometimes it seems worse than others.

We are travelling with six other couples and we are all over the ship, it will be interesting to see if anyone notices it.

Thanks anyway,

BC

I noticed you are from burlington, we are from Maple. We were in cabins b323, b609 and b623. If you get a chance go to sabatinis it is so worth the $20 p/person. Ask for stefano to be your waiter. This was the best dining and most different that we have experienced in a long time. If you have ever been to porto finos (the west mall area) sabatinis is even better than it. Dont miss the deck party either that was fun.

I was on the Star 1/20-1/27 and it was great! This thread had me concerned; I came upon it after I and my family had booked. It had me worried. Don't. I have a sensitive sense of smell; this was nothing! There were 2 times I smelled anything remotely foul and both of those times it lasted only seconds. We were on Dolphin, port side, fore. Enjoy your cruise. It's a beautiful ship. The service & food were more than adequate (though not great like my last NCL cruise). The sail-away out of Ft. Lauderdale was a blast; never seen one like it. Enjoy!!

Archived