bad sewage smell on star

brovol

i am on the current star sailing with my wife and children. we are platinum with princess, and are obviously pleased with the product; but we cruise the other lines as well. on past cruises, on several different lines, we have occationaly experienced bad smells; but nothing that was bad enough to effect the cruise. this cruise, however, is different. we have two balcony cabins, and cant even sit out on our decks. we were told it would go away, but it has not. it is mostly outside, but can be smelled inside also; and throughout the ship. i would rather be home than out on our balcony. i didnt notice complaints of this on the boards before we left for the cruise. i will post again if i figure it out.

we were on the star nov 6 and noticed the same smell. we were located on dolphin deck starboard side and and the foul aroma began on about day 3 and got worse each day. since this was just a five day cruise we didn't use the balcony much so it was only a slight inconvenience, but would have been really bad on a longer cruise where we tend to spend more time on the balcony.

bob

DH and I were just on the Star 11/6-11. Baja mid-ship stateroom. Never noticed a peculiar odor in any part of the ship.

Considering the enormous amount of damage sustained in the horrific fire, we were very pleased that the Star is in stellar condition.

Chris

We just got off the Star yesterday and the sewage smell was everywhere. It wasn't a constant thing but it was very strong at times. It was mostly on the Promenade Deck and would permeate throughout the ship from time to time, but was worse on the open decks. On the starboard side of the pool deck it was very bad at times. I didn't spend too much time on the port side of the pool because of the smokers so I don't know if it was on that side too. I wasn't the only one who noticed it. My wife, our 4 table mates and many others smelled it. One time when returning on a tender several people noticed the smell when we got close to the ship. On our excursion to Passion Island in Cozumel, our bus encountered a similar odor and a little girl told her mother that it smelled like the boat. It was a very pervasive odor that I noticed at night several times in our interior cabin on the Aloha deck. Luckily I never noticed it in the dining rooms. That would have been bad, but it was present a few times in the Horizon and definitely bothered us if we ate on the open decks. Between the sewage smell and the smokers being on the open decks wasn't very appealing at times. I've been on 6 different ships and have noticed a smell like that only on the Star and the Veendam and on the Veendam it was only on one side of the Promenade Deck on occasion. I can understand the dissappointment of brovol, because I was very happy that I didn't waste money on a balcony. There were very few pax on their balconies during this cruise and I imagine that the sewage smell was probably the reason.

We will be on the Star next month, and will most likely be on the Dolphin deck as we booked a guaranteed mini-suite. It will be such a disappointment if the smell persists since we are looking forward to spending time in our balcony. Given this consistent problem, has anyone bring this up to the crew and what are their responses?

this makes me really nervous, we are booked on the star jan 6/07.

I have been on several cruises and never noticed any sewage smell, going to give my buddy at work heck if we do, he is the once that convinced me to try princess and we are bringing two other couples with us!!:eek:

I didn't mention anything about the smell because I expected that I would have gotten the same response I got regarding the staff not enforcing the smoking policy. The one day I was walking on the promenade deck all of the smokers were on the starboard side (which is the non-smoking side). I saw a security officer and I asked him about the non-smoking side of the ship. He said that yes the starboard side is non-smoking. Then I pointed out the ashtrays and the smokers. He said that he would have someone take care of it. Nothing was done about it. One day I saw someone smoking over the railing flicking the ashes over the side. I thought that the captain was serious when he said that this should be reported when he gave his speech during the muster drill. I told crew member about it and they gave me a disgusted look. So, I figured that asking about the sewage smell would be a waste of time.

I didn't mention anything about the smell because I expected that I would have gotten the same response I got regarding the staff not enforcing the smoking policy. The one day I was walking on the promenade deck all of the smokers were on the starboard side (which is the non-smoking side). I saw a security officer and I asked him about the non-smoking side of the ship. He said that yes the starboard side is non-smoking. Then I pointed out the ashtrays and the smokers. He said that he would have someone take care of it. Nothing was done about it. One day I saw someone smoking over the railing flicking the ashes over the side. I thought that the captain was serious when he said that this should be reported when he gave his speech during the muster drill. I told crew member about it and they gave me a disgusted look. So, I figured that asking about the sewage smell would be a waste of time.

We are sailing on the Star in January. Since booking the cruise about 4 months ago, I have read thread after thread about problems with the ship.

This sewage smell situation is just the most recent.

This is our first Princess Cruise after many happy years sailing with Holland America. I almost wish I had not booked it.

We may wind up being a one-cruise customer for Princess.

We are sailing on the Star in January. Since booking the cruise about 4 months ago, I have read thread after thread about problems with the ship.

This is our first Princess Cruise after many happy years sailing with Holland America. I almost wish I had not booked it.

I am with you on that one, if it smells, I may be a one time princess cruiser as well. I have heard several not so good comments as well, if this is true I will be outta there for sure!

We are in the same situation. We cruised on HAL last year, and we will be with our in-laws for our first Princess cruise next month. We are spending extra for a mini-suite so we can enjoy our balcony. Must find a way to overcome the crew's attitude towards the smell and smoking policy enforcement. Anyone has any ideas?

Brovol, I am really sorry to hear about the odor problem, particularly as we sail on the Star this coming weekend - 11/25. From your description and those of others, do I understand that this is an outdoor thing???

On another note, any chance you could let us know what the various dining themes have been in the dining room thus far (Italian - French - etc.)? We'd like to make our Sabatini's and Sterling's reservations when we board, and don't want to miss good offerings in the dining room. Thanks very much and I hope things improve for you !!

Tonto: I believe Monday is "French" and def. a good nite for one of those restaurants. However, I do not recommend Sabatinis.

Was on the Star in October & was pleased overall except beware: There is some kind of problem w/the floor in various spots and when you step on it it lets out a REALLY LOUD POP. No big deal if you're just walking around outside or something, but when it's in the cabin right above you ....trust me...it's a nightmare. (Yes, our first set of upstairs neighbors got up at 5:30 a.m. & our cabin would shake). We had to move three times. And in our final (third) cabin, the floor had that issue in the middle of the hallway & every time someone stepped on it, you'd hear a loud bang in your cabin.

RealDeal, thanks for the info - French night was the one we were trying to avoid by booking elsewhere. And I agree with you about Sabatini's but the couple we are traveling with love it. It still beats cooking !!

PLEASE tell me what cabins you were in on the Star with this floor problem -- at least we will be forewarned and forearmed..... Thanks !

The first was B332. That's the one w/the floor problem right above it. It was funny, sort of...I went up there at 6:20 in the a.m. & stood outside the cabin & could hear it "pop, pop, pop"....Next thing I knew, the door opened & there I was stalking these people. They were very nice & when I explained the problem, they invited me in to demonstrate the floor problem. It's like the metal was warped under the carpeting. I can't remember which was the 2nd cabin, but it was down the other end on Baja & we were under a porter station. OMG. The 3rd was A717 & that's the one with the "pop" in the middle of the hallway....OH...AND you can hear the crew in the kitchen AND you can hear them rolling barrels around at like 5:30 a.m just above you. Really pleasant. Good luck!

PS: I THINK Weds nite was Italian nite & Sunday & Thursday were formal.

The smell continues to persist. We are in Jamaica, and I think it actually gets worse when the ship is not moving; although that could very well be my imagination. I feel the odor is worse outside (on our balcony); however my wife thinks it is most prominent inside on the Promenade. Our room is on Aloha starboard side, closer forward than aft. Being paranoid by nature, I am hesitant to disclose my cabin number, as I wonder if someone from Princess could be reading this, and will make me walk the plank. With the exception of the horrible smell, I would have to rate the cruise as quite good; however, the sewage smell overwhelms any other experience. When I complained at the Purser's desk, they responded by asking the cabin steward to use more cleaner in the bathroom. However, I had made it clear that I believed the odor was originating from the exterior of the ship. Although I cannot poll all other passengers, many have disclosed displeasure with the smell. Princess employees, on the other hand, act like they do not know what I am referring to. Trust me--this is not a subtle smell that "some people" notice, and others don't. It's BAD. I will keep you advised.

We spent 25 days on Star in the Baltics and Transatlantic from Sept 13 to Oct 7, this year. We never had a smell problem(BA cabin-Carib-starboard) anywhere on the ship. Further, as said earlier you would never know they had the fire and the entire ship was in great shape. All balconies are now fully sprinkled along with heat detectors monitoring every balcony. (Don't get things to hot out there or they will know what you are doing.)

Must be a recent problem.

Brovol,

Have you tried talking to the "hotel manager" or whoever is responsible for accommodations, or even to the cruise director? I would go as far as bringing someone (from their staff) to my cabin so they can experience the smell.

I'm worried as well, because I'm booked for the Feb. 10 sailing, and have a Balcony cabin on the Baja deck.

I would appreciate any feedback as to the crew's further response in the matter...

Thanks,

Enrique

Hi: We are also going to be on the Star on January 6th - we are attending my son's wedding. Hopefully we will not encounter the "bad small" situation. We booked a mini-suite I believe it is D309 - We specifically wanted a balcony so that we could sit out and enjoy the view......yikes if it smells - I have a very weak stomach.

Archived