bad sewage smell on star

brovol

I was on the same Star sailing as Tejmar (Nov 11 - 18). While we did smell the sewage smell on occassion it wasn't pervasive all the time.

We laid out on the pool deck on both the port and starbord side and didn't notice the odor on either side of the deck. The occasions that I found it most noticible was while we were docked when the ship wasn't in motion.

Comparing the odor on the Star to other sailing I've taken I found them to be very similar; A bit unpleasant when encountered but nothing to ruin my vacation! :)

Lynn:

Passion Island was very nice. Most of the trees have leaves on them now, but Wilma deposited 3-4' of sand there so the trees are shorter and the shore line is steep going into the water. It was a very relaxing time and the staff is very attentive. The water was a bit cool for us ( I would estimate the high 70's), but there were many swimming. A lunch is included as well as drinks (alcoholic and non). The lunch was OK, but there were flies and bees all around the food and my wife refused to eat it. I thought the lunch was OK. It is definitely a nice time, but if you aren't a big drinker, it's kind of overpriced. My wife and I each had one drink, so the $90/person was a bit steep and I wouldn't do it again for that price. If they would give you a break on the price for no alcohol it would be great.

Nets33:

I guess pervasive was the wrong word. Invasive would better describe it, meaning it wasn't just in one location. I smelled it just about everywhere and on the last sea day it was strongly evident on the starboard side of the pool from time to time. One time a couple was going up the stairwell by me and when the smell was quite strong and the guy said there is that smell again. And as I said it wasn't a constant thing. It didn't ruin my vacation, but it certainly didn't enhance it either. I can empathize with brovol being upset about smelling that on my balcony.

Don't let it worry you Diana... it's not a smell that surrounds you everywhere. I found that I'd encouter it on occasion but I can't say that I found it terrible. It was like walking through a city block and getting that smell because you walked over a drainage system. Smell and quickly gone. I expect to smell this - the ships have to process the waste so I would expect that there would be some type of odor. Nothing to worry about! :)

Tejmar... sorry, can't tell you who won the Idol contest. Our group wandered around seeing whatever kicked out fancy each night. Comedians, shows, karyoke, whatever!

Brovol

you must be near the forward bank of elevators, starboard side because this is where the aroma was most prevalant of the baja deck on our cruise. don't be afraid to persue this further with princess because since the aroma has been around for at least three weeks now there is obviously a problem that needs to be addressed.

Bob

i am on the current star sailing with my wife and children. we are platinum with princess, and are obviously pleased with the product; but we cruise the other lines as well. on past cruises, on several different lines, we have occationaly experienced bad smells; but nothing that was bad enough to effect the cruise. this cruise, however, is different. we have two balcony cabins, and cant even sit out on our decks. we were told it would go away, but it has not. it is mostly outside, but can be smelled inside also; and throughout the ship. i would rather be home than out on our balcony. i didnt notice complaints of this on the boards before we left for the cruise. i will post again if i figure it out.

I have friends on the star now .. got a text message and they didn't mention anything about an odour.. hopefully they can't smell it :).. did you get into Grand Caymen today??

Here's a trick I learned from Costa (most stewards probably do this anyway) to combat plumbing odors originating from your cabin: - put the sink plug in, the tub plug in (assuming you have a tub) and fill each with a bit of water. The ships we have been on do not have traps in their drainage system as we do at home - that is to say there is no water left in the drain pipes to "seal" off the smell. For showers you can put a wet face cloth to cover the drain - just make sure you remove it prior to showering!! Hope this helps. I know you're on holidays and shouldn't have to do this but....better than putting up with the smell.

Great suggestions if the smell is coming from the cabin, but the smell in question here is outside not inside. Although I would let it ruin my cruise it was at times annoying when you could not go out on your balcony

To the OP, has there been any additional response from the staff? I imagine with many people complaining, they have to at least aknowledge the problem.

I'm going to call Princess today and ask about the situation. My final payment is due next Monday, and I'm seriously thinking about switching to the Carnival Victory, which has even lower prices for the balcony cabins (I know, it's not Princess, but there's no sewer smell either)...

Any suggestions?

Regards,

Enrique

i guess thats a clue they missed caymen.. right now they are positioned for tendering at Cozumel.. they were late getting into coz this morning, which would be strange if they missed caymen.. they should have been way early

the smell continues, just as other posters have decribed from previous cruises. i think our cabin is in a bad spot, but it originates from the outside in my estimation. i have complained (without being "difficult") every day, with no results. anyone on the ship, including all crew, have to know it stinks (although i must say, you get used to it to a certain extent). nothing is done other than the party line that they will look into it. we have been on the grand, and the carribean princess before, and never smelled anything like this. many other passengers can be heard talking about it. perhaps others tolerate it better.

Does anyone think that sending an email to the Hotel Manager might elicit some kind of response? We are on the Star this Saturday (11/25) and what concerns me the most is the apparent lack of action/concern on the part of the ship's staff along with the growing number of folks who are chiming in about the smell.

the smell continues, just as other posters have decribed from previous cruises. i think our cabin is in a bad spot, but it originates from the outside in my estimation. i have complained (without being "difficult") every day, with no results. anyone on the ship, including all crew, have to know it stinks (although i must say, you get used to it to a certain extent). nothing is done other than the party line that they will look into it. we have been on the grand, and the carribean princess before, and never smelled anything like this. many other passengers can be heard talking about it. perhaps others tolerate it better.

I would keep complaining..... squeaky wheel gets the grease

I had that same question, yesterday I watched the bridge cam off and on and the date and time were correct and all it said was headed to Cozumel.

Did you guys miss Cayman?

the captain never attempted to get into caymen yesterday...and today at 11:30 they were still waiting to get off the ship which arrived at 8 a.m. in cozumel

I called Princess and the Customer Relations people said they were not aware of any odor problems on the Star from previous sailings. Either shipboard and land operations are not communicating effectlively, or they're just ignoring the subject.

Brovol, I would go straight to the top on this one. Try to get solved on board, and if not, send a letter to Princess' president on your return.

Please keep us posted,

Enrique

Good for you Perucho for calling Princess.

I think we all should call and voice our deepest concern with this smell... I cannot think of being onboard such a luxury ship and then have to deal with a bad smell. It can truely leave a very bad taste to what is supposed to be a dream holiday. I am now very concerned about our upcoming cruise.

Its simply unacceptable, they must know about the problem... too bad that they are 'seemingly unaware" of it... I find that very strange indeed.

It makes me wonder how does the ships deal with waste so many people must create a ton of waste onboard... does it get pumped out once back in port or does some of it get dumped at sea?

Brovol,

For what it's worth, I just sent an email to the Hotel Manager on board, mentioning that I was very concerned about the odor and asking if the problem had been addressed. Let's see if I get a reply.

In the meantime, I'm sorry to see that you missed Grand Cayman yesterday and were late into Cozumel.....

Archived