bad sewage smell on star

brovol

Fuzzzy posted the following in a previous post:

Try writing to:

Alan B. Buckelew, President Princess Cruises.

Mickey Arison, Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer of Carnival Corporation.

Sir John Parker is the Chairman of the Health, Enviromental, Safety and Security (HESS) committee.

Carnival Place

3655 N.W. 87 Avenue

Miami, Florida 33178-2428

Also, an email address that has been given is: 'starprincess@princesscruises.com'

And the fax number I have is: 661-284-4745

If anyone has additional information on where or who to write, call or email, I'd be glad to have it.

is this where everyone is sending the emails to? JMO - this isn't going to help - its going directly to the ship and they aren't going to do anything but delete them - they need to go to someone that can or will do something about it. - Some TA out there has to have access to Princess via email where complaints and concerns can be sent to .

Hope that I get some kind of response - not holding my breath. As we've been trying on the refund since the fire.

letter that was sent -

(for some reason it wouldn't enter the actually names that I wanted to address my concerns too)

To whom it may concern

Princess Cruise Line

Carnival Place 3655 N.W. 87 Ave.

Miami, Florida

33178-2428

Sewage smell on the Star Princess

I am reading several bad reviews on the Star Princess regarding the sewage smell that is preventing people from enjoying the use of their balconies and the open public decks.

From what I am reading on the Cruise Critic board people onboard are complaining and not getting any response to their concern's.

We were originally booked to sail on the Star last April when the Star had the fire and had to be cancelled. This was very understandable. Yet disappointing. Adding to our disappoint is the fact that we as well as 2 other couples traveling with us have yet to have our out of pocket expenses refunded for the cancelled cruise. Nor have we had our onboard ship credit of 400.00 credited back to us.

We are now booked to cruise on the Star princess April 28th 2007. However, we are now concerned not only with the fact that we have not gotten reimbused or our OBC transferred. Now we are reading that there is a another horrendous problem that is not being addressed aboard the Star Princess.

You are invited to read for yourself what is being said about this situaton on the Cruise Critic Princess board.

My quesiton to you is this - Are we ever going to have a response to our concerns about the upcoming cruise? And, are we EVER going to get our refunds and OBC from the past Star cruise that was cancelled?

We have cruised with Princess for the past several year's and have been so happy with the company. We talked 4 of our friends into going with us on the Star. Now with all of the probelms are we going to be sorry???

Thanking you in advance for your help and consideration in this matter.

Hope that I get some kind of response - not holding my breath. As we've been trying on the refund since the fire.

letter that was sent -

(for some reason it wouldn't enter the actually names that I wanted to address my concerns too)

To whom it may concern

Princess Cruise Line

Carnival Place 3655 N.W. 87 Ave.

Miami, Florida

33178-2428

You may be having problems because Princess Cruises is a California company and their offices are in Santa Clarita. The Princess website has contact information.

Someone just off the ship might want to complain to the cdc:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) started the Vessel Sanitation Program (VSP) in the early 1970s because of several disease outbreaks on cruise ships. VSP was established to protect the health of passengers and crew by minimizing the risk of gastrointestinal illness on cruise ships. The program assists the cruise ship industry to develop and implement comprehensive sanitation programs.

BY EMAIL:

CDCINFO@cdc.gov

BY MAIL:

Vessel Sanitation Program

National Center for Environmental Health

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)

4770 Buford Highway, NE MS-F23

Atlanta, GA 30341

I wonder if Star Princess stinks or if it's mass hysteria?

I doubt that a sewage smell equates to poor sanitation...in fact that smell is more than likely coming from the sanitation plant on board doing it's job.

As for calling out Princess - why doesn't someone interested in this issue email the link to the threads on this board to Princess?

Just to update..

I went ahead and called Princess a little while ago. I got a nice lady who I know was doing all she could...but got nowhere. She spoke to various people in various departments and kept coming back saying there had been no reports. I told her I know other people have called and complained, as well as people on the sailing visiting the purser's desk.

She kept assuring me that if there was a problem it would be fixed before our sailing (12/16/06) and I asked her to please notate this call and concern on my account should I need any further proof of my attempts to fix this problem. I also e-mailed the star princess email address, and will keep that in my records. I am not willing to let this go, and would love if someone else could let us know of their progress.

Thanks!!

Just to update..

I went ahead and called Princess a little while ago. I got a nice lady who I know was doing all she could...but got nowhere. She spoke to various people in various departments and kept coming back saying there had been no reports. I told her I know other people have called and complained, as well as people on the sailing visiting the purser's desk.

She kept assuring me that if there was a problem it would be fixed before our sailing (12/16/06) and I asked her to please notate this call and concern on my account should I need any further proof of my attempts to fix this problem. I also e-mailed the star princess email address, and will keep that in my records. I am not willing to let this go, and would love if someone else could let us know of their progress.

Thanks!!

I would suggest you follow up your call and ask the person to read you what's been put in your record. If they it's not there, just repeat the process and get the name of who you speak with. I know from the Airline industry that my TA has been able to access what's been written and print a copy for me. I don't know if Princess allows such access (or any cruise line)...but it couldn't hurt for you to ask them to print it and mail it to you. Keep a record of everything (including this thread).

Finally while I believe you're probably going to read this thread - try to tuck it in the back of your mind and know your going to have a FANTASTIC time.

We were on the Oct. 28th. Star Princess cruise to New England-Canada...At that time we were never aware of any abnormal smells...We did have a inside cabin...It was a excellent cruise...Hopefully the present problems, as being reported now, can be fixed.

Probably no one at Princess 'knows' about it because they are told not to know about. Could be the umteenth call to the same agent that day, they would still be trained to say '...first we have heard of it'. Princess knows. The Star Princess team knows and odds are that they have reported same to HQ. Issue is what is wrong, how long to repair, and will the repair time impact passenger safety or revenue-especially the latter. Revenue will come before passenger comfort on this one is my best guess.

This could be a revenue opportunity for Princess... they could sell nose plugs. I make light of it but I will be boarding on Saturday! If my sinus infection lingers a few extra days I may be immune to it.

Just to update..

Thanks!!

Hi Alyssa,

I just wanted you to know that I faxed Princess a letter today regarding the smell. I sure hope it doesn't smell when we get there in 2 1/2 weeks; if it does I guess we can suffer together!

Gator

I sent a letter yesterday (certified mail) to the Customer Relations department, with copies to the President and e-mail to the ship (Att:Hotel Manager). I'll let you know if I hear back. On all my calls to them, the answer has been the same: "Haven't heard anything about it".

Would this be an issue for a class action suit? We will be on this ship in January and I know from past experience there is nothing worse than a sewage smell to put a damper on a cruise. This will be our first cruise in over ten with a balcony so I hope they get this problem fixed.

I wonder if Star Princess stinks or if it's mass hysteria?

I doubt that a sewage smell equates to poor sanitation...in fact that smell is more than likely coming from the sanitation plant on board doing it's job.

As for calling out Princess - why doesn't someone interested in this issue email the link to the threads on this board to Princess?

Stop wondering. I was on the Star for a week and it stinks. Coming out of the buffet on the starboard side was gaging!!!!

So where would this unpleasant and uninvited smell be coming from? Seeping in from nooks & crannies all around the ship? Coming from some main vent on the Starboard side? Coming from above? Coming from below? Sounds like it was worst on the upper decks, and on the starboard side. Forward as well as Aft?

Knowing these things doesn't make any difference, of course. I am just very curious, and the more I know, the better prepared I feel. I'm still hoping my cabin won't be unbearable (forward/starboard/balcony) but we'll see in a week or so.

Any one have any thoughts, observations or insights on where the stench might actually be originating (besides the treatment facilities, obviously).

Stop wondering. I was on the Star for a week and it stinks. Coming out of the buffet on the starboard side was gaging!!!!
It just seems that there are as many indicating that Star Princess smells as there are who indicate they didn't smell anything when they were on board. The majority of posts about the situation are from those who are headed to Star Princess. That's why I wonder.

Probably no one at Princess 'knows' about it because they are told not to know about. Could be the umteenth call to the same agent that day, they would still be trained to say '...first we have heard of it'. Princess knows. The Star Princess team knows and odds are that they have reported same to HQ. Issue is what is wrong, how long to repair, and will the repair time impact passenger safety or revenue-especially the latter. Revenue will come before passenger comfort on this one is my best guess.

This could be a revenue opportunity for Princess... they could sell nose plugs. I make light of it but I will be boarding on Saturday! If my sinus infection lingers a few extra days I may be immune to it.

you hit the nail on the head. when we were on board last week, and complained to pursers, it was pretty obvious we were getting the party line. the smell was present while i was reporting it. once i actually said, "i can smell it right now", and the response was "i am making a request that it gets looked into". i knew nothing would be done, but i needed to complain anyway. the smell was pretty bad just upstairs from the pursers desk, on the promenad deck; so trust me, they know about it. and for those who question whether it is "sewage", this is not an odor that can be mistaken. if you want to prepare yourself for your upcomming trip on the star, just dont flush after you morning consitutional for a week.

It just seems that there are as many indicating that Star Princess smells as there are who indicate they didn't smell anything when they were on board. The majority of posts about the situation are from those who are headed to Star Princess. That's why I wonder.

I sure hope I'm one of those that don't smell a thing! I'll be sure to report back and let you know. But we should be hearing from the folks on the 11/25 cruise in a few days. Hopefully the situation will have improved, at least somewhat, by then.

I have been following this thread closely since we sailed on the Star November 6-11 and never noted any unpleasant odor.

While our winter getaways are regularly spent on Princess cruises, in the summer we enjoy stays at a condo on beautiful Mackinac Island. This idyllic resort situated between the Upper and Lower penisulas of Michigan has luxury hotels which charge upwards of $500 per night in season. Since Mackinac Island does not allow motorized vehicles, all transportation is horse powered. Immediately upon stepping off the ferry, the smell of horse waste is overwhelming but that has never detered the hundreds of thousands of annual "fudgies". All these folks make the best of their stay and don't threaten class action law suits.

Thousands of passengers have sailed on the Star over the past few weeks and have not complained about a sewage smell. There is no reason why everyone cannot have a terrific cruise on the fabulous Star Princess!

Mike

Archived