What's the knob next to the bed?

Poohb

Just got back from our first cruise and still can't decide what this is. Next to the bed on the wall there was a white knob, fairly easy to reach from bed. It was NOT the thermostat. It could be turned around and around but we never could tell if it was doing anything. Any thoughts?

hahha. I should have left a note to ask. We always missed each other. the room was constantly being picked up but I met her when I stuck my head out of the shower on the first day, then just passing in the hall while she was busy with other cabins. Didn't want to disrupt her routine, didn't consider it a life/death situation.

I don't know about the knob on the wall, but my hubby pulled the string that is in the bathtub- just to see what it did. I got a phone call from the purser's desk asking if we had an emergency in the room. "Other than having an idiot for a husband, no, we're fine!"

Maybe it was a dimmer switch for one of the many inside lights controlled by a wall switch? Or else did you try it with the stereo or TV volume? I had a mini suite on the Summit and don't remember this white knob.

Celebrity Summit Outside cabin with veranda. Nothing Special.
Me, too -- never did figure out what that knob was for. Tried TV sound, all lights, cabin temperature. Never got around to asking anyone about it, though -- just figured it was a control left over from a previous lighting arrangement.

Of course, since it was the Summit, it could have been for the light in the toilet bowl ;) (if you don't get this reference, try out the search feature of the board!)

John

The knob's definitely not a bumper, and there's no way to attach handcuffs to it. And I definitely would have noticed a mirror in the celing ;) . In the schematic at the bottom of this picture, the knob's on the wall between the bed and the shower, about at the height of the bed table. It sits in the middle of a little plate that has a marking like a skinny triangle that has been bent into a semi-circle (or a line of increasing width), which is usually indicative that turning the knob one direction will increase something, and turning it the other way will decrease something.

John

Wow John. Nice description. Thanks for that. Ours was the same. Didn't do a dang thing. I do think we had a pull down bed. Overhead there was a panel of sorts. But this thing is too low on the wall. No way could you use the pull down bed and use the regular bed too. I guess this is gonna be one of those mysteries of life. Yes I had a toilet lite, too. Funny, DH never saw it. But there it was green & glowing in the middle of the dark.

I actually have a pix of it. It's on my mem stick '(removable disk' under 'explore' in 'START'. (Notice how technical I am). If someone knows how to explain, I can maybe include it here. Or I can email it to someone and they can set it up. (I know how to email it. 8-)

Many of the ships I've been on had a knob in the cabin that controlled the volume of the overhead announcements. Maybe that's what it was?
This was on Celebrity Summit, and Celebrity's policy is "No Announcements", so there's no way to know. The only announcements I heard were for the lifeboat drill, and they seemed to come from speakers in the hall.

John

this is a riot. i am laughing so hard :D :D .

thank you all for making my horrible monday a better one. i can always count on you to perk up my day. and keep the ideas coming. i want to know what this thing is too.

actually , i like the handcuff idea the best ;) .

I am also astounded by the wonderful creativity of answers. I was also surprise that on the landtour part of our trip to Alaska, my DH mentioned my sneaker question and I was shocked to hear someone say. "Oh my God, YOU'RE the sneaker lady!. I guess I've had my 15 minutes of fame.

Archived