Are sandles and/or crocs acceptable in dining rooms?

carlielyn

Thank goodness Crocs aren't common where I live. They're hiddeous, tacky, and cheap looking. Infact, I've only seen them once, and that was at a swimming pool.

To those who say they others shouldn't care what other people wear-- to that I say-- POO! What others wear can make or break the "ambience" of an experience. If I were in an expensive French Restaurant in NYC.. and dressed to the nines.. I would hope others would be dressed well too.

I took my first cruise with a boyfriend more than ten years ago on a smaller ship, and loved dressing up each night. Everyone looked great. I guess I miss that more "dressed up" "formal" feeling of a cruise.

But then, sadly, what I wouldn't think of wearing to a wedding-- I see others wearing. Jeans? Shorts? A cowboy hat? To me, it's disrespectful.

To those who say they others shouldn't care what other people wear-- to that I say-- POO! What others wear can make or break the "ambience" of an experience. If I were in an expensive French Restaurant in NYC.. and dressed to the nines.. I would hope others would be dressed well too.

I took my first cruise with a boyfriend more than ten years ago on a smaller ship, and loved dressing up each night. Everyone looked great. I guess I miss that more "dressed up" "formal" feeling of a cruise.

I'm not certain that NCL is a good cruise fit for you. You might want to consider lines with a more structured formal night instead of optional formal.

jmo

-Monte

I'm not certain that NCL is a good cruise fit for you. You might want to consider lines with a more structured formal night instead of optional formal.

jmo

-Monte

I like NCL. Fortunately, I didn't see any Crocs in the dining rooms.. and hope it stays that way.

Clerky96, I'm with you on all but one point... Cabbach Patch dolls still aren't 'cute'. ha ha ha ha ha

Surfgirl, I absolutely agree with you about attending a function that 'should' be of a certain level of formality and seeing people who have not put the effort into meeting the standard. I think the thing that disappoints me about it is not that what other people do affect me or my ability to have a good time, but it is a reflection on the growing lack of respect for traditions and etiquette. Don't even get me started on parents who allow their kids to wear baseball caps in restaurants - or do so themselves!! I base my expectations on where I am, though. I think if you like NCL, you're going to have to accept that their freestyle cruising is designed to allow people a choice about whether to dress for dinner or not. You should be prepared to see crocs at dinner sooner or later, because they're taking over!!! Personally, I'm going to be taking the opportunity to dress for dinner every night because I like to... but I know I'll be surrounded by a sea of denim (the Texas departure cruises allow tidy jeans in the dining rooms), and that's okay. I'm especially looking forward to formal night! Goodness knows I don't get enough opportunities to wear my floor length gowns!!! You know... I was deciding which one to take with me, but I think I might just take them both - if people can choose to wear jeans to dinner, I can certainly choose to wear a formal!!!

I like NCL. Fortunately, I didn't see any Crocs in the dining rooms.. and hope it stays that way.

I'm afraid that in the not too distant future we'll be seeing Crocs just about everywhere! Maybe we should look into buying their stock. LOL

Glad you didn't take my suggesting other lines as an attack (some would have). It was only done as you seem to prefer a more formal setting...although your list of cruises seems really relaxed.

I hope we all enjoy all our future cruises.

-Monte

This will be our first NCL cruise. I am looking forward to freestyle cruising. We don't plan to do a formal night, but I do enjoy seeing others all dressed up. On our last cruise (hubbys first), I did get him into a suit. That is about as good as it gets. We had a really good time, but he doesn't really care to do the "formal" thing again. For some reason, what others wear does not seem to make a difference to me. As long as they are clean and neat, I find it acceptable. Don't know why, that's just the way I am. :confused: Now bad behavior I notice. Bad fashion, nope!:D

Crocs are the best! I thought Tevas were the best things ever but my Crocs are right up there with them! BTW, I bought mine in Manhattan and wore them everywhere. Now that it's winter I even wear socks with them!!!:D I may even start wearing white shoes after Labor Day!!!:D Baby boomer that I am, it just doesn't matter so much anymore what styles are being dictated. I did wear them in both NCL's Wind and Crown dining rooms. No problem.

Fashion alert....Crocs are now available with holes that are in the shape of Mickey Mouse ears. How cute is that? I don't know if my Croc jewelry will fit those holes or not. :rolleyes:

Those of you who are critical of crocs, the company is now starting to specialize in crocs for special foot problems, ie. diabetics, and heel spurs. Soon people will be wearing these more for comfort due to foot problems, than as a fashion statement, I read somewhere that the company knows that trends don't last so they have a backup plan for problem feet. So when you see someone in crocs, remember they may just want to be free from debilitating pain, not trying to offend someone.;)

MAC (one with foot pain)

An interesting and knowledgeable thread.

WAWW, I didn't know what "crocs" were either (until the link) but I'm sure my grown children do.

I have a friend suffering with heal spurs - I sent her the info.

As far as who wears what on their feet or what kind of feet they have?

Who cares? Certainly, not I:confused: Why would I look at peoples feet??

I only recall noticing a person's footwear on one cruise. I ONLY noticed it because he was very loud and obnoxious while waiting to be seated in Cagney's.

Of course, he drew everyones attention bacause he was so loud.

He had flip-flops on! They did seat him through the back door of Cagneys.

The next evening we again encountered the same person in the Champagne Bar as he was trying to be seated in Impressions. Loud and obnoxious again! In his flip-flops. He did NOT get seated.

I am too busy enjoying the company I am with to take the time to notice who is wearing what.

Isn't "freestyle" free choice of style to use?? Isn't that why people choose "freestyle" when they cruise?

Live and let live!

Life is too short to worry about who has what on their feet or what their feet look like!

Just for the record...yes, I finally do get pedicures now that my children are grown and yes, I do wear expensive shoes so that my feet do not hurt BUT I really do not judge anyone by their shoes, pedicures, purses, clothing! And, I'm glad that I do not.

As far as dining in NY. I have lived in the Metropolitan area my whole life.

Dining, theatre, etc.,...the dress code has changed radically over the past 20 years. I dress, others don't...who cares? And, who am I to judge?

Working in NY...when I first worked in the City, women could NOT wear pants. Only suits w/skirts or dresses.

"Who Moved My Cheese"

Such is life:)

Off my soapbox!

Relax and enjoy your cruises.

Cosmo--

What are crocs? Well, they look like beer cozies for your feet... Or a goalie hockey mask on the wrong part of your body. They're just plain hiddeous.

Freestyle cruising means getting a choice of where you want to eat and when you want to eat. I don't think it means going to dinner wearing clown shoes on your feet.

I consider myself to be somewhat saavy in the world of fashion....afterall I work in Manhattan and you see everything every day of the week. But I'll be da*ned if I tell you I have never ever seen these crocs . I hope they're comfortable because they sure do need some redeeming quality...something like having a real ugly junkyard dog as a pet but he/she is a good watch dog!

I live in Manhattan (UES - Upper East Side) and did see quite a few pairs of Crocs last summer. I saw them on other mom's and kids at the playground and in the park. I personally don't like them. I have tried them on, but don't find them any more comfortable than the Clarks clogs that I wear. I have thought about buying my toddler a pair just because they are so easy to clean. I think I tried them on at the running shoe store in Grand Central if you want to try them! ;)

Cosmo--

What are crocs? Well, they look like beer cozies for your feet... Or a goalie hockey mask on the wrong part of your body. They're just plain hiddeous.

Freestyle cruising means getting a choice of where you want to eat and when you want to eat. I don't think it means going to dinner wearing clown shoes on your feet.

Wow harsh, clown shoes, nothing like judgemental people, like you, making people who wear something for medical or comfort reasons, feel self concious!:mad: And if you say there are other orthopedic shoes that look better, I would have to remind you that they will come at 2-4 times the price. Oh and crocs come in black and brown with enclosed toes as well.:rolleyes:

MAC

I don`t know where the idea that they are "good" for your feet per medical reasons. According to my Podiatrist they are one of the worst shoes:eek: My Internist said the same thing. I tried them on and I knew that they would make my foot problems much worse:o

Cosmo--

and some of the women who stumble around in the dining rooms in high heels also look like clowns.

Only snobs care what other people wear!!

For me, it's not a matter of foot "problems" as much as it is fit. I've got a wide foot, with an extremely high instep, and they're one of the few shoes I've found that are comfortable.

Basically, if I want comfort, I have two choices -- my crocs or my sneakers. I'm not the kind who wants to, or can afford to, pay a small fortune for my shoes. I'd rather use that money to help my kids through college and still be able to cruise fairly frequently, rather than wearing the equivalent of my mortgage on my feet.

As far as looks, no, they're not beautiful, but I don't consider them "clown shoes" either. My first pair are navy blue and look fine with jeans. No, I don't wear either the crocs or the jeans to the dining room. My second pair are black, with a solid top, and don't look that much different from any other pair of clogs. I will wear those to the dining room with a pair of black slacks.

For me, it's not a matter of foot "problems" as much as it is fit. I've got a wide foot, with an extremely high instep, and they're one of the few shoes I've found that are comfortable.

Basically, if I want comfort, I have two choices -- my crocs or my sneakers. I'm not the kind who wants to, or can afford to, pay a small fortune for my shoes. I'd rather use that money to help my kids through college and still be able to cruise fairly frequently, rather than wearing the equivalent of my mortgage on my feet.

As far as looks, no, they're not beautiful, but I don't consider them "clown shoes" either. My first pair are navy blue and look fine with jeans. No, I don't wear either the crocs or the jeans to the dining room. My second pair are black, with a solid top, and don't look that much different from any other pair of clogs. I will wear those to the dining room with a pair of black slacks.

I saw on their web site that they have new ones in leather:D Not clogs either.

Wow harsh, clown shoes, nothing like judgemental people, like you, making people who wear something for medical or comfort reasons, feel self concious!:mad: And if you say there are other orthopedic shoes that look better, I would have to remind you that they will come at 2-4 times the price. Oh and crocs come in black and brown with enclosed toes as well.:rolleyes:

MAC

Yes.. clown shoes.

If you can afford a cruise, you can't afford decent shoes? Sorry, not buying that. I did a quick google search and found plenty of decent orthopedic shoes that are under a hundred dollars.

You want comfort? Well, then why not just come in dressed in your flannel PJ's?

I don`t know where the idea that they are "good" for your feet per medical reasons. According to my Podiatrist they are one of the worst shoes:eek: My Internist said the same thing. I tried them on and I knew that they would make my foot problems much worse:o

I have found that everybodys feet react differently to different shoes. Crocs have started a line called crocs Rx for specific feet problems. I think doctors can be very biased about shoes or inserts, I have spent hundreds of dollars on orthodics from my podiatrist, because he scared me from trying anything else, the only thing that has helped me is a $40 pair of powerstep inserts, oh well!:D

MAC

Yes.. clown shoes.

If you can afford a cruise, you can't afford decent shoes? Sorry, not buying that. I did a quick google search and found plenty of decent orthopedic shoes that are under a hundred dollars.

You want comfort? Well, then why not just come in dressed in your flannel PJ's?

Actually I have plenty of "decent" shoes, and hundreds of dollars in ortodic supports in the closet. Just hope that you never have a day when you come home from work and can barely walk, it is not pleasant.

I prefer silk PJ's perfect for the dining room!:rolleyes:

Archived